Two

And then I clicked 'Like'....

Just as a note: This is actually not the final chapter. I'm sorry I have deceived you all! But as it turns out there was a lot more I wanted to write for this fic that I felt would make it too long so there will be one more chapter. (The last one I PROMISE) Please enjoy!

***

 

 

Curse that damn app. Because of it his past with Bom kept calling out to him. He was the one that decided to break up with her. He wasn't supposed to be experiencing all this sense of nostalgia. He was tall and devilishly handsome. He was studying to become an astronomer so he was pretty damn smart. It's not like there weren't women who were interested in him. He was more than capable of finding another to fill the void in his life.... So why did his thoughts keep drifting back to her? It has now been around five months since they'd broken up. Why can't he get over it?

 

After the whole bread photo debacle, Kris found himself noticing how empty it was in his apartment... it only took several months. Bom's bright and smiling face was no longer there to greet him when he came home. He no longer found himself walking in on her face-down on one of her textbooks, lightly snoring away as she mumbled something cutely about corn. Even the refrigerator was noticeably emptier as it wasn't chocked full of her various puddings and breads that she loved so much.

 

There was a definite amount of times when he had thought about their separation. What really caused them to drift apart? He had to admit he was a bit of an towards the end of their relationship. The infidelity he was accused of wasn't entirely ungrounded. Truth be told, he was rather close to actually dating Jessica almost immediately after he and Bom had broken up, but after discovering her true, hidden goldigger personality he was quick to reject her advances and that was the end of that. Bom was never like that. In fact, she hated being showered in material possessions. Even after being together for two years, she still hesitated to accept the luxurious gifts he presented to her during special occasions. She was more of an 'it's the thought that counts' type of girl. Something he rarely saw in the women that appeared in his life. Something he was a fool for having given up.

 

The blonde sighed as he sat down in the lounge chair in his living room. He held his phone in his hand once again, hesitating to open Instagram with the fear of seeing her happy expression once more. Afraid to see that he was the only one suffering from the terrible mistake he made those months ago. His finger betrayed his hesitation as it pressed the little icon and the familiar buffering circle began to spin around. He scrolled down for a while before pausing and feeling his heart clench. Bom had posted a new picture a couple of days ago.

 

It was a breathtaking close-up of Bom laying in what appeared to be grass, her silky hair haphazardly fanned about beside her face. Cherry blossom petals surrounded her head like a halo as well as were entangled in her dark locks. What really got Kris choked up was the expression on her face. It was not the usual cheerful expression he was used to seeing on her posts. Rather, she had a somber look gracing her soft features. His eyes drifted to what she had written beneath.

 

“today I was drawn to a place that brings me both pleasant yet painful memories. how about you? are you living happily?”

 

A wave of nostalgia washed over him. Even though it didn't have a clear view of where she was exactly, he somehow felt like he knew where she was. He immediately thought of the large cherry blossom tree they used to pass by on the way home from school. The tree that brought a lot of memories back and held much meaning to him. It was where he had asked her to become his girlfriend after all. He recalled all the dates and moments they shared beneath those soft pink flowers. Memories of all the happiness and positivity she brought into his life during their two years of dating hit him hard. Along with those memories came anguish and heartache. The deep remorse and regret he felt for leaving her surfaced. How could he have made a brash decision in such a heated moment?

 

He thought back to her photo. What could she have meant by her words? If his assumptions were correct could that message possibly have been for him? Did she still think about him? Was she truly concerned for his happiness? The vision of her face, eyes b with tears that night she left flashed in his mind for a second.

 

Kris drew in a shaky breath. He felt something warm run down his cheeks and he lifted a hand to his face. Realizing the photo had brought him to tears, he only continued to softly cry in silence. A strangled sob escaped his lips.

 

“Bom... I'm sorry. I miss you so much...”

 

***

 

Kris finally decided. He needed closure. He and Bom separated on terrible terms and he just couldn't live like this any longer. Despite how much it hurt him, he wanted her to be happy. Even if it didn't include him in the picture. He only hurt her so he didn't feel worthy of her love and affection.

 

Since the day he cried alone anad miserable in his apartment he had talked to Tao a few more times about the whole thing, confiding in him. As much as he wouldn't directly admit how much he missed his ex Tao knew how he was feeling. How regretful he was. He sympathized with him and Kris was thankful.

 

Tao couldn't stand to see his friend so broken down. He knew he had to do something. He wanted Kris to overcome his depression and move on. Finally, an idea came to him.

 

***

 

“I don't know about this...” An anxious Kris was leaning against a wall as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his coat. It was a chilly evening as he and Tao stood waiting outside a movie theater.

 

“Just relax. They're going to be here soon so there's no turning back now. You can do this Kris. You need to do this.” Tao tried to reassure the older male.

 

Kris stared nervously at the slightly shorter male. Tao had invited him to hang out with him and some friends. He told him that Bom would be tagging along as well so this would make for the perfect chance to settle any hard feelings between the two. Kris wasn't entirely convinced, it had been months since he had seen Bom, he wasn't sure how he could handle facing her now. He leaned his head back against the cold concrete of the wall behind him, closing his eyes and trying to calm his shaking nerves.

 

“Hey Tao!” Kris' eyes snapped open at the unfamiliar manly voice. His eyes focused on a man with curled brown hair that briskly approached them while smiling and waving in their direction. It was him. The new man in Bom's life, Luhan. Kris' fists clenched in his pockets. A bitterness welled up inside him. But where was Bom, did she not come with him? As if reading his mind, Luhan spoke once more.

 

“Where are the girls?”

“I texted them, they're on their way they should be here any moment.” Tao answered.

“I see.” Luhan's gaze reached the brooding Kris. “Who's your friend?”

“This is Kris... he's an old friend.” Tao looked apprehensively between the two as he gestured back and forth. “Kris this is Luhan.”

 

Kris thought he saw some sort of recognition flash in Luhan's eyes at the mention of his name. Perhaps Bom had mentioned their past relationship to him at some point. The shorter male held out a hand.

 

“It's nice to meet you, Kris.” Kris momentarily hesitated before pulling his hand out of his pocket to shake the other's hand. It was an awkwardly strong-gripped handshake. A tension hung in the air and Tao was uncomfortably caught in it.

 

Just then, the a pair of feminine voices caught their attention as Bom and Chaerin approached the group of boys, their arms linked together. Kris froze in his spot, a cold sweat running down the back of his neck. There she was right before him. She was just as beautiful as he remembered her being.

 

“Hello boys.” Her soft, melodious voice spoke as she smiled at Tao and and Luhan. When her eyes caught sight of Kris her eyes widened a fraction. She didn't seem upset to see him standing there, but Chaerin on the other hand, was another case.

 

“What is he doing here?” Chaerin asked, increasing the tension between the group. She narrowed her eyes at the tall male, clearly unhappy with his unexpected appearance. Bom's brows furrowed as she lightly nudged her linked arm against her best friend's ribs. Luhan glanced at the two girls with concern in his eyes.

 

“I invited him to hang with us. I hope that's okay.” Tao replied. He expected something like this to happen, especially considering he knew that the blonde girl would be with them.

“No it's no—”

“Of course it's okay.” Bom interjected before Chaerin could finish giving her two cents. She looked back up at Kris. “It's good to see you again Kris.” She flashed him one of her genuine smiles. Kris felt his heart melt. It had been so long since he had seen that smile.

“It's good to see you again too.” He replied, reciprocating the smile.

 

Tao then ushered the group to purchase their movie tickets and then to the entrance of the theater. Kris didn't fail to notice the glares he was receiving from Chaerin. Nor did he fail to see how she practically shoved Bom to Luhan's side, effectively leading Luhan to gently place his hand behind her back as he politely held the door open for her. He continued to hold the door open for Chaerin, Tao and Kris to enter as well. Kris didn't think much of at first until he passed through the door and he thought he heard a faint whisper in his direction.

 

“I don't know why you've suddenly decided to appear in her life again. But I advise you stay away from her.”

 

Kris snapped his head and stared at Luhan shocked. But the other male just grinned at him... it was a bit scary.

 

What the hell? Was he hearing things? Kris shook his head and proceeded to the concession stands where the others stood contemplating on what snacks they wanted. Kris bought himself a small popcorn along with a water bottle. His eyes lingered on the display case full of sweet treats at the front counter. He eyed a box of sour candies that he recognized being one of Bom's favorites and for a moment he considered purchasing it for her before hearing a squeal from beside him. He turned at the sound.

 

Omo! Sour gummies? How did you know these are my favorite?” Bom happily bounced up and down as Luhan happily handed her the colorful box of candy. She hugged him briefly and thanked him before pulling away to turn excitedly towards Chaerin who laughed at how childish she could be. Tao looked at Kris and noted the annoyed expression on his face. He coughed and patted the other on the shoulder before speaking in a low tone.

 

Watch it Kris, your '-face' is showing through.” Kris just grunted and turned away, deciding to find which theater they needed to head to.

 

They finally situated themselves in a row towards the center of the seating area. Kris was none too happy with the seating arrangement as he found himself at one end with Tao and Luhan between him and Bom and Chaerin on her other side at the opposite end. He was just glad that they didn't choose a scary movie. Knowing Bom's weakness for horror films, he wasn't sure he would be able to handle the possibility of her clinging to Luhan like a terrified child.

 

***

 

After the movie ended the group decided to grab a real meal. Due to the heavy influence of all the males being Chinese, they all settled to go out for Chinese food.

 

When they arrived at the quaint little family-owned eatery a friendly, middle-aged woman greeted them.

 

“Aigooo, such a good-looking group of kids! Please come take a seat!” She ushered them to a table and began to hand out their menus. After promising to return briefly with some water she left them to make their decisions.

 

Once again, Kris found himself sitting next to Tao on one side of the table as he faced Bom who had both Luhan and Chaerin sitting rather protectively on either of her. Kris rolled his eyes. You'd think they were acting as a barrier to keep him out at all costs. It's not like he was planning on hurting the girl.

 

“Hmm... oppa you probably know this menu better than I would. What do you suggest?” Bom looked up at the male beside her expectantly. Luhan leaned over and traced his finger along the list of dishes on the menu laid out before her. He hummed to himself as he contemplated what kind of food she might like.

 

Kris couldn't help himself from glaring at Luhan. Did he not have his own menu in front of him? Why did he feel the need to lean over and press himself against Bom just to read the list of food? This punk...

 

After a while of some discussion of what dishes they wanted to order and share the elder woman returned with the promised waters and laid them out on the table.

 

“Have you all decided what you'd like to order?” She smiled at them.

“Yes, we have.” Tao replied, taking the initiative. He began to list off all the foods the group had collectively discussed wanting to eat as the woman nodded and jotted it down on a small notepad. Once he was finished she smiled once more and said, “I will get those right up for you!” And with that she turned and headed towards the kitchen.

 

Kris laced his fingers together and rested his chin against them as he stared off into space, not being able to stand watching Bom and Luhan's interactions any longer. He was caught off guard when Bom turned her attention to him and spoke.

 

“So how have you been Kris? I haven't seen you around at school.”

“I've been good...” He strained to contain the nervousness in his voice, hopefully she didn't catch it. “A lot of my classes are at night so that's probably the main reason you don't see me around. I've also been studying more at home than at the campus library.” He briefly remembered the photo Luhan had posted of Bom and felt his throat go dry. He picked up his glass of water and took a sip.

“This is the first time I'm meeting Luhan. May I ask how you guys met?” Kris vaguely already knew the answer to that thanks to Tao but he was still curious as to the details of their meeting.

“Oh well, I'm not sure if Tao told you but he and Luhan have known each other since they were young. Oppa moved here to Korea a while back and not wanting him to be without friends for his first few months, Tao introduced him to Chaerin and I.” Kris scoffed slightly at the 'not wanting him to be without friends' bit. He winced when he felt Tao kick his leg beneath the table in warning. Apparently Bom was oblivious to the real reason they were introduced. And judging from the look on Chaerin's face even she knew of Luhan's secret intentions. Kris also couldn't help but frown when Bom referred to Luhan as 'oppa'.

 

“And get this, it turns out he and I shared our Physiology class together! What a small world huh?” Bom said.

“Yeah... small world.” He replied a bit dejectedly, but went unnoticed by the girl.

“Speaking of classes. What are you majoring in?” Luhan was the one to speak up this time, a curious look on his face.

“I'm studying Astronomy. You know, stars, galaxies, meteors, etc. I've been interested in this sort of stuff since I was young so it only made sense to study it once I got into college.”

“Wow that's really cool.” Luhan said, sounding honestly intrigued. But his next question had Kris wondering if he had some sort of ulterior motive.

“Smart and handsome. I bet the ladies love you. Are you dating anyone?” Everyone but Luhan and Kris at the table visibly froze. Making eye contact, Kris saw the mischief in the other male's eyes as he felt his jaw clench.

“No.” Now he was positive that Luhan was aware about his and Bom's past and was trying to start up something.

“That's pretty hard to believe.” Luhan replied dryly. Kris looked away, starting to get a little peeved at this guy and how nosy he was being.

“I haven't been seeing anyone in a while actually. I'd say it's been about... five months?”

Kris glanced in Bom's direction to see her staring at the table with a distant, but deep-in-thought look on her face. It seemed she was slowly putting two-and-two together to figure out what he was getting at. When she finally realized it she looked up and caught his gaze. She said nothing, but her eyes said everything. He knew she had questions and he would do anything to answer them.

 

Tao mentally slapped a palm to his face. This is not what he had in mind when he invited Kris on their little outing. He subconsciously let out a sigh of relief however, when he spotted the restaurant ahjumma approaching them with some dishes in both arms.

 

Once the food was laid out, the next thirty minutes or so were filled with the sounds of satisfied groans and some small talk in-between bites. By the end of their meal everyone was stuffed and on the verge of food comas. Bom jumped slightly when she heard her phone in her purse start to ring. She pulled it out and looked at the screen.

 

“Sorry guys, it's my mother. I'm just going to take this outside, I'll be back quickly.” She said apologetically as she got up and excused herself from the table. Luhan and Kris watched her exit the restaurant.

 

There was an awkward silence.

 

Tao glanced at Luhan and Chaerin nervously before nudging Kris in the arm with his elbow and whispering so that only he could hear. “This is your chance Kris-ge. Apologize to her for what an you've been.”

 

Kris coughed uncomfortably at the '' comment but understood what he meant. The two on the other side of the table watched with suspicious glances as Kris stood up from the table as well and excused himself to get some 'air'. With that, he too, exited through the restaurant door.

 

Both Luhan and Chaerin were about to get up to check on Bom but a deep, stern voice stopped them.

 

“No, both of you sit.”

“But Tao! You know damn well that Kris isn't going to just 'get some air'!” Chaerin protested, the anger rising in her voice.

“Of course I know that... That's why I brought Kris in the first place.” Luhan and Chaerin gawked at him with disbelieving stares.

“Why would you do that?!” Chaerin exclaimed. Luhan sat next to her with an expression that equally matched her anger.

“Please, you guys. Just let him do this. He just needs some closure okay? This whole thing has been eating at Kris all this time and he just wants to make things right. I promise, after this he'll never bother her ever again.”

Luhan and Chaerin looked at each other, unsure of whether or not to trust the boy's words. Still, they made no efforts to get back up and stop them and just continued to sit in brooding silence.

 

***


I know I lied about this being the last half of the story. I'm sorry! *bows* The next part should be up relatively soon since I've written most of it already. I just wanted to split it up because I felt weird about posting a chapter that would be twice as long as the first. It just made more sense to split it into three. Please excuse any errors there may be. Anyways, please let me know what you think so far! I'm really enjoying writing this almost as much as I enjoy reading your lovely comments. :) You guys are awesome and I'm so thankful for your support. The next chapter will definitely be the last.