One

And then I clicked 'Like'....

 

 

Kris casually leans back against the headrest of his bed with one arm behind his head and the other resting against his stomach as he fiddles around with his cellphone. Without much thought he idly presses on random social media apps on his phone. He spends the next 30 minutes or so reading up on the latest celebrity gossip, seeing what his family has been up to while he's away at college, and checking up on whatever viral animal video is currently floating around.

 

His eyes land on the little camera-looking icon on his phone screen. It had been quite some time since he last checked Instagram. He made an account a while back, but he wasn't keen on keeping up with it. The only time he ever really checked it was back when his ex-girlfriend would tell him to like the couple photo of them she had just posted. Something about it being embarrassing if her own boyfriend didn't 'Like' it. What would it even matter with the dozens of other 'Likes' she would receive along with his. It's not like people were purposely searching through the list of likes to see if he personally liked it as well. He never understood the whole premise of 'Like'-ing photos or posts. What's a stupid little heart or a thumbs up symbol going to do? Raise some people's self-esteem he supposed.

 

Finally giving into the temptation his thumb tapped on the icon and the photo feed popped up with the latest updates of the few people he followed. galaxy_fanfan... such a weird username, he remembered his ex helped him pick it out when he couldn't think of one. She felt that sort of fit an 'astronomy nerd' such as himself. He browsed through the images. He didn't even remember his mother getting an Instagram yet there she was posing with his father at some restaurant with a few of their friends he vaguely recognized. He continued to scroll down the list of photos. He skimmed the various selfies and close-ups of desserts... hmm desserts... he was starting to get a little hungry now.

 

In the midst of struggling to understand the numerous hashtags some of his friends and family put, a little bubble popped up at the top of his screen indicating that a new update had been posted. Curious, he tapped it and it took him back to the very top of the list. His jaw clenched when he saw who it was.

 

It was one Miss Park 'haroobommi' Bom..... his ex-girlfriend.

 

He forgot that he was still following her on the app. Why he hadn't unfollowed her yet he wasn't sure why. Well considering he hadn't updated in eons, it probably didn't matter.

 

He looked at the photo. It was a picture of her dressed up—a little too ily in his opinion—smiling happily up at the camera and dancing in what seemed to be a club. Perhaps a friend had taken a photo for her as both of her hands were seen within the shot. Beneath the photo was a caption that read. “had lots of fun w/ my gurls last night!!! kekeke stolen shot!”

 

Her pale skin glowed in the flash of the camera, and her round eyes seemed to sparkle. After having broken up, Bom looked... dare he say it? A lot prettier than he remembered. Since when did she dress so stylishly and wear make up like that? The Bom he knew when they were dating was much more modest and shy. It surprised him that this dorky alien of a girl had actually gone out partying. Had she dressed like this more often maybe they'd still be toge—

 

Kris shook his head. He combed a hand through his hair. He didn't know why he was thinking like this. It was him that decided to break up with her. He shouldn't even be considering getting back together with her. The memories of their last day as a couple flashed back in his mind.

 

 

**Two months ago**

 

“...Kris Wu do you have any idea what time it is?” An angry Bom stood in the living room with her arms crossed across her chest as she glared at her boyfriend of two years.

Kris rubbed his forehead in annoyance as he slipped off his shoes by the door of their shared apartment. It was originally his alone but a few months into their relationship, Bom had finally convinced him that living together was a fantastic idea. Boy, was he regretting that idea now.

“Babe, I really don't feel like talking right now. Can we just go to bed?” He began walking towards their room but was stopped when Bom pressed a palm to his chest.

Ugh, you reek of alcohol. Were you at the bar again?” Her nose scrunched up in disgust. “You're not coming to bed smelling like that.” Kris rolled his eyes.

Technically this is my apartment. I can do as I damn well please.” Bom gasped, a hurt expression on her face.

“Kris... what's wrong with you? Why are you like this?”

“I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you please let me through?” Kris was starting to get pissed.

You don't know?” Bom's tone hitched in anger. “What about the fact that you've been coming home late almost every night? What about the fact that when you do come home your clothes have the stench of alcohol and perfume? Now tell me you don't know what I'm talking about!” She stomped her foot angrily. But this did not scare Kris one bit, in fact it, just made him furious.

“Who gives a what I smell like when I come to my own apartment?! It has nothing to do with you anyways!”

“Nothing to do with me?!” Bom shook her head as tears formed in the corners of her eyes. “I knew it... I just knew it...”

“Knew what?” Kris retorted in an irritated, yet confused tone.

You're cheating on me!” She yelled.

“Cheating? Please.” Where did she have the audacity to accuse him of such a thing?

“How can you deny it? It's that Jessica girl isn't it? That one from your Cosmology class!”

She was met with silence. Kris didn't like to bring up the subject of Jessica around Bom because he knew it made her upset... not like it made a difference in their current situation anyways. Yes, Jessica liked to hang around him a lot while they were at school. And yes, the hot blonde may have been there at the bar that night so the perfumed scent on him may have been hers... but he wasn't cheating! ...really.

 

He rubbed the back of his neck and sighed, annoyed. He really hated when his girlfriend would nag him about this sort of stuff.

 

“I'm asking nicely, can we just go to bed and talk about it in the morning?”

Bom stood rooted to her spot now with determination burning in her dark brown orbs. “No, we're talking NOW.”

Kris let out a tch as he brushed past her and began heading to the room once again. She gasped and whipped around, “This relationship can't work if we don't communicate with each other!”

Kris paused and thought for a while. He finally spoke as he slowly turned to face her. “Well then maybe we should just end it.”

Bom slowly blinked and with each blink her vision blurred as the tears finally streamed down her face.

“W...hat?” She slowly shook her head in disbelief. “You don't mean it...”

“I actually have been thinking lately that maybe we just aren't cut out for each other.”

“P-please...” The look of desperation in Bom's eyes made Kris' heart sink but he still pushed out his feelings on the matter.

“We're completely different from each other. I like to go out and have fun... you like to stay at home and read books... It's gotten a little... boring. Plus, these days we've just been constantly fighting. I think it's time to put this relationship out to pasture.”

Bom gulped and sniffled as she slowly approached him. “But Kris I love yo—”

“Just save it.” He shook his head and Bom paused, she clasped her hands to . Kris continued, “It'd probably be best for the both of us if you gathered most of your stuff now and leave. You can come get the rest of it in the morning.”

Bom's body went numb as she slumped to the floor. She let out a final choked sob, “...why?”

 

**Present**

 

Kris remembered that fateful day like it was yesterday. Bom did end up taking a majority of her possessions home with her that night. And then the next morning she appeared before him again, tired and puffy-eyed as if she were crying the entire night—which came to no surprise. She wasn't alone that time. With her was a very pissed off Chaerin, her best friend, who came to be her support and help her move out the last of her things. The entire morning she glared at daggers at him and called him a “real piece of work” amongst other not-so-polite nicknames. To say that morning was awkward was an understatement. From that day on however, he had never seen or heard from Bom again. That is until now.

 

Glancing down at the photo once more, Kris noticed that it had already received a 'Like'. A few seconds later the very same person who liked the photo had left a comment.

luexolu: yo yo y lady~ lookin' good!

 

Kris narrowed his eyes. Who was this guy? Did he seriously just call Bom “y”? Did she know him? It could possibly be some random internet dude that happened upon her post right? Was he a creepy stalker?

 

In this midst of his inner questioning, Kris felt his phone slipping out of his hand. His eyes widened as he fumbled a bit before catching it once more in his hands. Looking at the screen again, he realized he had accidentally tapped his finger against the screen...Twice causing him to 'Like' the photo he had been staring at for quite some time now.

 

“!” Kris panicked. “No no no!” He knew that even if he 'un-liked' the photo now it would still show up on Bom's feed so it was pointless even bother. Oh god, what would she think? After all this time of not having contacted each other and he likes a photo of her dressed all... hot. Yes, okay Kris had to admit that Bom looked good in the photo. Really good. But that was besides the point! He hoped that she wouldn't get all weirded out. Kris tried to calm himself with the reasoning that he would never be running to Bom any time soon anyways so it didn't matter.

 

Having had it with social media for the day, Kris tossed his phone onto his bed. He held a hand to his grumbling stomach. It was time for some dinner.

 

 

****

 

 

The next day Kris wasn't sure what compelled him to click the Instagram icon once again, but it happened. And he wasn't happy with what he saw.

 

Bom had posted another photo. It appeared to have been from the same party she attended the other night but this time it wasn't a solo shot. This time there was a rather good-looking male beside her. He was a bit too close to Bom for Kris' liking and the fact that this male had his hand wrapped intimately around Bom's waist irked him.

 

When he read the caption however, he nearly lost it.

 

“forgot to post this yesterday! also had fun with my lulu~ @luexolu <3”

 

...what? What the hell is that heart doing there??

 

That guy who dared to call his ex y was also there that night?! So she actually knew him? Who is this guy, for real? Feeling hot-headed and curious at the same time, Kris clicked on the tag and found himself at the mystery man's own Instagram profile. He read his name out loud.

 

“Lu Han...” So he was also Chinese? But what kind of a name was that? Was Lu his last name or what?

 

Kris' eyes skimmed the cache of photos on this “Lu Han's” account. Most of them were either selfies or pictures of basketball shoes. However one photo in particular caught his eye. It wasn't a picture of him, but of Bom? She appeared to not have noticed that he was taking the photo. A true “stolen shot” if you will. She was innocently looking down at a book, clearly focused on studying something. Her thick lashes were cast down almost making her look like she was sleeping serenely. It was a simple photo but she did look beautiful. Kris recognized the backdrop to be the library of the university that both he and Bom attended. The caption below the photo read.

 

“with my study buddy @haroobommi” The caption was followed by various book and school-related emojis. Kris scoffed. What was this guy? Sixteen? Wait, does that mean he attends the same school too? His eyes scanned further down to the comment section.

 

haroobommi: are u studying or admiring me? So creepy! keke

luexolu: definitely admiring kekeke...

chaelin_cl: u guys are too cute. i'm going to puke!! j/k just date already!!!

 

Kris couldn't believe his eyes. They were obviously flirting in the comment section. Did they have no shame? And that chaelin_cl... the name sounded familiar. It had to be the best friend that hated him with a deep, fiery passion. It figures that she'd encourage Bom to date again. Does that mean this whole time since they'd split up she wasn't seeing anyone? Kris looked at the date the picture was posted. This was a few weeks ago. That could mean they were actually dating by now. Would Bom really date a guy like this...? The questions continued to reel in Kris' head that day.

 

 

***

 

 

Kris was only able to go a few days before he was itching to check that damn app once more. God it was like an addiction. An addiction to stalking your ex... that wasn't weird right?

 

Lo and behold Bom had indeed posted a new picture since that one with 'Lu Han'. Kris' knuckles turned visibly white as he gripped his phone dangerously tight when he saw the new update.

 

@luexolu surprised me at work with my fav bread today!! how sweet, wat did i do to deserve him?”

 

Above the caption was a picture of an adorable Bom who was all smiles while dorkily holding up a large roll of bread still in its plastic wrapping. It appeared to be a selfie taken by Bom herself, with him sitting awfully close to her. Their faces were nearly touching as they both smiled happily into the camera. It made Kris sick. He wanted to toss his phone across the room. But he was stopped by a comment underneath the photo.

 

hztttao: that is sweet. @luexolu why don't u bring me bread too?? ):

 

Tao?!

Kris noticed that the other boy had also liked the photo as well. Tao was one of the people who was still good friends with both him and Bom even after their break up. Still, how could one of his closest friends 'Like' a photo of Bom and another man together?

 

Note to self: Beat up that panda-faced punk the next time I see him.

 

Suddenly, an idea struck Kris as he quickly found himself scrolling through his contacts. After finding Tao's name he pressed the call button. The dial tone rang... two... three....

 

“What's up gege!” The other chinese male answered happily on the other end.

“You have some explaining to do.” He spoke in a stern tone.

“Huh? What are you talking about?”

“The comment you made on her photo!”

“....” Okay now Tao was really confused. “Who—what? Who's photo?”

Kris heaved a sigh. “...Bom's.”

It took Tao a few moments but then it finally clicked. “Oh! You mean her bread photo? On Instagram?? You're still using that? That's a surprise.”

“Don't change the subject on me, panda!”

“Woah... calm your . I was only asking for bread haha!”

“You said their photo was sweet.”

“Did I...?” Kris swore he could hear Tao physically scratching his chin trying to remember. “I don't know I was just messing around. Don't take comments so seriously. It's the internet man.”

“Do you know him?”

“Him who?” Kris rolled his eyes. This punk...

“That Lu... Han guy.”

“Oh, you mean Luhan-ge? Yeah, I know him.”

“How does he know Bom?” Kris was determined to get all the answers to his questions.

“That's because I introduced them.”

...What....?

“You introduced them?!” He couldn't help his voice raising over the phone.

“Yeah. Luhan-ge is an old family friend that moved here a few months ago and started attending our university. Apparently he and Bom have a class together and the guy became interested in her. When he found out that Bom was my friend he begged me to introduce them so I did and badabing badaboom—bread selfies.” Tao's stupid howling laugh mocked him from the other line.

Kris wanted to choke Tao. If only it were possible to do so through the phone...

“Are... are they going out?”

“Hmmm... you know I can't really say for sure. But they do seem pretty close don't they? What are you jealous? Haha.” Kris couldn't find it in himself to reply to that question.

“Anyways I have to go now, I'll talk to you again soon Kris-ge!”

“Yeah, talk to you later.” He hung up but he only continued to stare at his phone. Was Tao onto something? Was he really jealous?

 

***

 

For the next few weeks Kris found himself curiously checking up on Bom and seeing what she had been up to. Why not? It was the internet. It wasn't a crime. He was free to stalk who he wanted. Reasoning 100% valid.

 

He deeply regretted it each time however. It was almost as if with each picture she became prettier and prettier. Had she always been this alluring? What was worse is that she seemed so happy and carefree without him her life. It seemed she had coped well after he had dumped her despite the huge fuss she made the night it happened.

 

He was confused as to why he was feeling so twisted inside about it all. It couldn't really be jealousy could it? Did he perhaps... miss Bom?

 

It couldn't be.

 

***

Well it looks like this isn't going to be a oneshot after all hehe. I'll probably finish the second half in the next few days so please look forward to it! Bom will be making her personal appearance soon don't worry. Thank you all so much to those who subscribed and already upvoted this fic. All of your comments give me strength and inspire me to write so please continue~