Drizzling

Falling Like Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There's always a moment in someone's life where they suddenly realize that nature is beautiful. They may not say it out loud or have a great epiphany, shouting to the world that nature is magnificent in a certain form; they may just be sitting in a bustling coffee shop, staring outside at the pouring rain when they sigh and mumble quietly to themselves, "How pretty".

 

That's exactly how Lee Hyukjae realized it.

 

He had been sitting in the coffee shop a mere block away from his university, his steaming cup of coffee clutched between his hands, when he decided that looking out the window beside him would be a better occupation than staring at the crowd of stressed out university students furiously typing away at their laptops. He sighed quietly to himself, watching the occasional person scuttling by the window with their umbrella protecting them from the downpour; their bags held tightly to their sides.

 

It fascinated him how the heavy rain drops smashed against the asphalt outside, splitting into hundreds of pieces before melding together with the other water droplets, creating rippling puddles. It also left him in awe how the rain pelted the roof of the coffee shop, creating a loud melody that if you listened closely, was truly a calming chorus with various voices. It was like listening to a chaotic yet organized song, the beat repetitive yet somehow unique at every different moment.

 

"How pretty." Hyukjae sighed, his single lidded eyes fluttering slightly in relaxation. He continued to stare out at the never ending downpour, his eyes blinking slowly as he occasionally took a tentative sip from his coffee.

 

After a while, his eyes tore themselves away from the sight outside, instead looking down at the table in front of him, the large literature textbook staring back at him almost threateningly. Oh right, I came here to study. He remembered lazily, begrudgingly placing his coffee over to one side of the table and dragging the obscenely large book closer to him. Opening the text to the page he had bookmarked, he leaned his chin on his palm, his eyes skimming the pages slowly. He had a test the coming week, so he had to study. He couldn't afford to fail the class; he was a straight A student, after all.

 

He sighed again, already bored of the content he was reading. He usually never gave up on studying while he was halfway through the work, but this time was different; there were more interesting, beautiful things occurring.

 

Once again, his eyes were trained on the rain outside, his sharp features relaxing as he instead studied the beauty of nature. As a literature student would, he began to search for ways to describe the beauty of the rain through words, his long fingers twitching on the table's surface with the need to write.

 

In order to satisfy his need, he grabbed his notebook that was supposed to be used for notes, flipping to a brand new page. His pen at the ready, he looked out at the rain, the ink of his pen creating smooth, graceful lines as his hands moved while his mind worked.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter