A Little Braver

A Thousand Songs

IRENE

Irene was standing still. It was night and dark. The surrounding looks familiar to her. Yes, this place, she knew exactly where she is, south downtown. For some reason someone has brought her here only to hurt her. This is where she lost her parents 5 years ago.

Irene’s father was a taxi driver and always not at home. That middle-age man will always make sure to be home to celebrate his little angel’s birthday. On Irene’s 17th birthday, they decided to go out and celebrate her birthday in town.

~

On the night of the incident, everything went well and perfect. Irene looked at her parents smiling ear to ear like never before. First, it might have been the food they had for dinner followed by the delicious dessert. They spend all night talking about Irene, asking about her grades, her ambition and other things that regular parents would ask and talk about. Time flies so fast and it was time for them to go home.

They left the diner after a heavy downpour. Mist covered the road, it was dark and they were the only ones driving on the road. Mr Bae was a careful person. He would always drive safe, giving signals when changing lanes, stop when the traffic light turns orange. To him, making sure the customers reach their destination safely is the responsibility of taxi drivers.

It was a long drive home. Mrs Bae looked at Irene who has fallen asleep in the backseat leaving her and his husband. Mrs Bae tuned onto her favourite radio channel, that plays nostalgic 80s songs which reminds her of young age. She held out her hand to Mr Bae. With one hand on the steering wheel, he took her hand and their fingers interlocked. Pulling her hand closer to his lips and gave a soft kiss on his wife's hand. Still holding hands, he kept his eyes on the road, driving carefully through the dark night. Slowly, they sing along to the song on the radio.

Unaware of their daughter at the backseat, Irene smiled at her parents then closed her eyes once more.

From a distance, Mr Bae saw a truck jack-knifed and blocked both directions. Mr Bae wants to stop his car to call the police. And before he could do so, a car appeared from behind and hit their car. The impact causes their car to rotate and flipped before it fell into a ravine.

In a blink of an eye, a beautiful night turned into a tragic one.

~

Sadness and hatred, mixed emotions stirred inside her mind. She looked around her to find nothing but emptiness and silence of the night. Cold breeze fills the air and a sudden gust of wind pushed her forward motioning her to walk forward. She is walking away from the crash site, ready to leave the past behind. The street lights flickered, then she reach a junction. Somehow, she’s no longer walking down the dark road. She looked around her and she found herself standing at an entrance of a tunnel. Tired and cold she then saw a faint light, far into the tunnel. Her heart shrinks because she is afraid, afraid of what is waiting on the other side of the tunnel but she can’t stop walking. The light grew brighter with every step she took. Without realising, a tear rolled down her left cheek knowing that she is now awake from her deep sleep.

~

Waking up in a hospital isn’t something that anyone wants to go through. It means ill, sickness, loss and death. Irene’s eyes shot open. She woke up in shocked and relieved. Her heart beats fast as if she just resurfaced from the water. It took a while for her to steady her breathing. The room filled with emptiness and accompanied by the sound of the ventilator next to her; she took off her oxygen mask and looked around the room. The dull colour of the walls ‘compliments’ the wilting roses in the vase on the bedside table and the one across the room. The mood in the room was just heavy as if someone will never wake up from a long sleep- no. it is as if she will never wake up again. The door suddenly slide open, someone walks in.

“Morning Irene, I brought you some fresh flowers from the market. Jeez, it’s so crowded there as if the whole town having a fest there,” a red-haired girl walked in with hands full of flowers; Irene can’t even see her face but she sure know her as hell. Irene’s best-friend Seulgi, she was new in town when they were 8. The girls at school don’t like her because she had red hair and freckles across her face. Basically it was because no one in this little outdated town ever had red hairs before-let’s just say they’re having a cultural shock-and they thought that she and her family are demon worshippers. Crazy!

“Thanks,” Irene said while adjusting her posture and put aside the oxygen mask. Irene had been in the hospital for a while-132 days to be exact-due to an accident causing her memory loss. Seulgi startled and the roses slipped from her hands. “How long have I been here?”

 “Irene! You’re awake!” She quickly picks up the flowers and put them aside and rushed to hug Irene. “I miss you!”

 And let me go, you’re killing me Seulgi” she said trying to break free from her best friend’s arms.

“I’m sorry-I’m sorry” Seulgi lets go off Irene.

“God my head is killing me. Can you get me a glass of water please?” she looked at her friend in disbelief. “Hello? Earth to Seulgi, can you hear me?” Then waved her hand in Seulgi’s face and she snapped. She quickly jumps off the bed to get Irene’s a glass of water. A glass filled with crystal clear water is handed over to Irene and she finished it a gulp. The glass is then set aside before she faces her friend.

“What happened to me Seulgi?”

Seulgi took the empty glass and put it in the sink, ‘car accident’ she said simply before she continues…

“You’ve been here for a while-a very long kind of ‘while’” not knowing how to explain the incident, she found herself in a very difficult situation. The urge to her friend the truth but at the same moment she’s afraid. She heard stories before that a person waking up from coma needs some time to adjust with the current situation. The thought stops her from doing so.

“What do you mean ‘a while’? We were at Vernon’s party last night Seulgi, pretty sure I remember everything and I’m pretty sure I was god wasted last night. Is that why I’m here?” Irene tried to remember what had happened but nothing comes to her mind. She shook her head and looked at Seulgi “What’s with that face Seulgi?” she tried to smile but curiosity strike her.

Seulgi took a seat next to Irene and took her left hand and patted it “Irene” She stopped and took deep breath before she continues “132 days, Irene. You were in a coma. I, myself am shocked that you actually made it alive. The doctor said you might not make it” She puts Irene’s hand aside.

“Oh, I need to get the doctor and your aunt! I’ll be right back”

~

“Goodness gracious, Irene you’re awake!”

A tall skinny middle-age woman with short wavy hair enters the room. Her face filled with worries and tiresome, looking as if she hasn’t slept for days. She took Irene into her embrace. Slowly she patted Irene’s back with love and so much care. Still in the woman’s embrace, Irene tears starts to flow down her pale face. The woman’s scent brings back memories of her life, her parents and her childhood.

“Aunt Yoon, I miss you,” Irene wiped her tears away and smiled, relieved that her aunt is here with her, glad that she has another chance in life. Irene remembered the dream she had before. It is time for Irene to let the past behind, forgive and move on. Being a little braver.