Allowed

Encounters with You
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Loud hiphop beats blasting inside the building reached your ears as soon as you stepped out of the cab. Glancing up at the establishment, you noticed two letters lit up by neon lights on the wall confirming that you were indeed in front of Noise Basement. It would be your first time to enter a club but you were not there to party. You never liked going to social events. Building up your courage to enter the unknown, you marched towards the entrance with the mission in mind: bring your drunken friend back to the hotel.

 

You are a foreigner visiting South Korea as part of a two-week training course. And your supervisor granted you another two weeks to enjoy Seoul before the semester starts. Tonight was your third night and never did it cross your mind that it would be in party central.

 

But even before you could step inside, the bouncer stood in front of the entrance, blocking your path. You looked up at the burly man in confusion.

 

" allowed," he stated, direct and stern.

 

This wasn't new to you. Baby-faced and just an inch over five feet, people always mistook you to be younger than you really were. Reaching for your back pocket, you then realized that you had left your wallet at the hotel and just inserted money in your front jean pocket.

 

"Mister, it seems that I have left my ID back at the hotel but I have money and I assure you I am not a minor," you explained hoping that he would let you pass.

 

" allowed," was his simple response, not even bothering to give you a second look, directly hitting your raw nerve. When talking to others, it is just polite to look them in the eye; even if the person is a foot shorter.

 

"I am not here to party or drink. I am here to pick up my friend. Your bartender called me up telling me that he is wasted."

 

The man then moved to the side and your eyes lit up. To your dismay, he just shifted his position to let other newcomers in.

 

Taking in a deep breath in an attempt to prolong your patience, you appealed to the guy once again.

 

"I understand that you are just doing your job, a very good one at that. But I really need to take him out of there before he does something stupid. You could even me inside." You smiled hoping that your kind words would make him believe you. Unfortunately, you never got a response.

 

And being ignored is what you hated the most.

 

"LOOK MISTER! I AM 22 YEARS OLD AND I'M HERE ATTENDING A CONFERENCE ON GENOMICS AT THE MARCO POLO HOTEL. I DON'T LIKE THE SMELL OF ALCOHOL AND SMOKE. I HAVE ASTHMA! WHY WOULD I EVEN BOTHER ENTERING YOUR CLUB?! JUST LET ME GRAB MY CLASSMATE SO THAT I COULD HAVE A GOOD NIGHT'S REST!" You screamed out of exasperation, glaring at the bouncer but the man was an unbeatable fortress.

 

What you didn't realize was that someone was watching you amused.

 

"Cute," he chuckled. Cheeks red in annoyance, eyes watery and hands curled into balls, you looked like a little girl pulling a tantrum. Not wanting to see you cry, he took matters in his own hands.

 

He coolly walked up to the bouncer, greeting him casually, making

Please log in to read the full chapter