Chapter 3

Vampire Beside You

 

Just before his feet could stepped out from the opened elevator, Jong-suk found out that his pocket is empty, or in the other word, he forget to bring along his wallet. And of course his motorcycle keys too. Damn, why this has to happening when he was in this rush. Jong-suk thought of borrowing some money from Se-young who stays at the ground floor of the apartment to save time, as it's only around 7 something so Se-young must haven't going to school yet. But, Jong-suk guess it will be just humiliating to do so. Asking for help from a girl should be the last thing a man should do in this earth. Therefore, Jong-suk just stays in the elevator and pressed the button to go up.

As he open the door, a strange feeling immediately shoots his head. The house feels empty somehow, well of course, his house always feels empty because he lived alone but this time he could feel a hint of uptight atmosphere around him. Jong-suk closed the door and his eyes broaden at the sight of scattering pieces of vase on the floor. He wanted to clean them up, but the mild wind that suddenly touched his skin makes Jong-suk’s eyes turn at where the winds come from.

Who opened that windows..?

He steps forward to looks out of the window and nothing but lines of road filled with vehicles from every direction down there meet his eyes. Jong-suk try to glance around to seek any unusual things but nothing. Before he could close the window, something struck his mind, which causes his finger to turn instantly cold. Jong-suk wanted to turn around but someone behind him who happens to be taller and of course, stronger, blocked his body.

“So fast, huh?” Woo-bin comments, looking at how Jong-suk was leaving about 5 minutes ago and now he was already here again.

Jong-suk somehow feels reluctant to turn around. It’s weird, he didn’t know how to react just by listening to soothing whisper behind his ear. For God sake, since he only thinking about taking his wallet and motorcycle keys it makes Jong-suk totally forgot about this once-a-vampire presence here.

“I..I left my wallet, and keys.” Jong-suk replied in anxious while heaving a grave sigh, though it’s kinda awkward for him to answer in such way. Honestly, why do I have to be all nervous just because of that one simple question?

“I see.” Woo-bin slightly nods. Mock smile never faded from his fair face although he know Jong-suk couldn't see it from the other side. “Not just clumsy and annoying, human also a good example for forgetful creature, am I right?”

Jong-suk pouts his lips, not feeling very pleased with the indirect tease. “Why you open this windows? It's very dangerous, don’t you know what level we are at right now?” Jong-suk changed the topic right away or his ears would bleeding from listening to Woo-bin’s endless complain about human. Thinking about that, Jong-suk just grunted while locking the window before rolled it repeatedly to ensure that its firm.

“What level are we?” Woo-bin already lying on the floor when he throwing the question. No sign of interest in his voice though, but more to curiosity. Even Woo-bin trying to sound fine, Jong-suk still thought that this person is a total mess and weak regarding from his voice and movements. Like someone who is having jetlag from taking plane for more than 12 hours, perhaps.

Jong-suk suddenly lost his interest in going to grocery store. He snatches a towel from the hook, quietly steals a glance at the latter behind to see his response. “Level 9 out of 12.”

Woo-bin gets on his waist in difficulty to take a glimpse at Jong-suk, and he blinked repeatedly as their eyes met. “9th level!? Are you serious!?”

Jong-suk casually nods.

He fisted all finger tight to endure the anger in his head. What the...this is just a small apartment not a skycraper building at all! Why I have to feel scared like hell when I look out of the window just now? 9th level is just a smallest piece of thing to do for a vampire and I used to jump from place that a lot and lot higher compared to this place! One by one complain come across his chaotic mind and Woo-bin didn’t realize that Jong-suk could read his face expression.

Towel put on his shoulder rocking as Jong-suk walks towards Woo-bin who seems unaware with the sudden approach. “You open that window because you want to jump out, but then why are you still here? Let me guess, are you scared of height right now?” He bowed a little towards Woo-bin’s face, which makes their nose almost touch. “Admit it. You are just a human, forgetful creature like me too.”

“I’m not.” Woo-bin shoves away Jong-suk’s face from becoming too near to his, and feel thrilled when he saw Jong-suk’s parted lips curved to a devilish grin.

“Seems like having no reflection is the only vampire traits left in you, huh?” Jong-suk stand up and heading back towards the bathroom. His eyes caught the clock on the wall and snapped to know that its less than 30 minutes left before the school started.

While leaning against the wall and eyes gazing at the window, Woo-bin still in dumbfounded state that he didn’t pay attention properly on what Jong-suk was mumbling in his way. Probably about how he has to rush everything out so that he could be in school on time. He forced himself to think about the solution for countless times, but then Woo-bin still couldn’t find a way out for this situation.

Last night, I accidentally dropped the gifted wings to the ground. I about to pick it up when suddenly this one stupid person who appears from nowhere claims the wings to be his. Of course, I was mad because I just stumbled with human, one of creature that I hate the most. I’m not interested to argue with him over silly thing because the wings are completely mine. But..but he was too stubborn and I wanted to just grabs away the wings from his hand before he said this one hilarious thing. When a human kiss a vampire, then it will turn them as a vampire too. Honestly, it was the funniest thing I ever listen throughout my life. But kick that aside, I’m not interested at all but then he suddenly step forward and kiss me at once! What the hell is that, no one ever done that to me yet he bluntly did because he wants to become as vampire too. And soon before I realize it, I have turned as human and I don’t know how to solve this thing out. Damn it...

“Woobin-ah.” Jong-suk who already in his blue school uniform slowly closed the bedroom door behind and pat his hair here and there to make it appears neat. He call out Woo-bin for another time as the latter seems not hearing him earlier. “I’m going to school. Are you okay being alone here?”

“Don’t Woobin-ah me.” A displeased tone clearly identified in his voice and Jong-suk just chuckled while seize his school bag on the table. He wearing his shoes in hurry but glanced behind when he wanted to open the door. Deep inside, Jong-suk really worried when looking at the distant guy, who gazing out the window all time along with heavy sigh in between.

It’s my fault. He turned out to be like this because of me.

Woo-bin slightly surprised when he notices that Jong-suk throws aside his school bag and his blue school uniform. “What are you doing?”

“Let’s solve this matter.” Jong-suk answers shortly. He enters the bedroom to get rid of his uniform and wearing black, long sleeves few minutes later. “Even if I go to school, I might end up thinking about you all time.”

When he receives hatred glance from Woo-bin, Jong-suk quickly faked a cough to cover himself. “I mean, thinking about this situation. Don’t get wrong ideas.”

“Luckily you correct it straight away, or I might vomit knowing that you thinking about me all time.”

“Believe me, I feel like vomit too.” Since the sunlight have completely made its way from the window into the house and brightened every side, Jong-suk pressed the small button on the wall to turned off the light. Then only he realizes something. “Hey, you are fine with sunlight?”

As if he just listens to something terrifying, Woo-bin quickly take a look at his arms and feet. They seem a bit light due to the sunlight but Woo-bin not amused by this even for slightest. Knowing that sunlight not having any adverse effect on him, looks like he has lost one of famous vampire traits too, which is, can’t expose to sunlight. Isn’t this entire hint has showing that he was completely turned out as...human?

“Yah, change me back to vampire now!” Woo-bin shouted with all his might. He notices a sudden change against Jong-suk’s face instantly when he increased his voice, but he couldn’t control his emotion at all for now. To know that he might end up remain as human throughout his life makes him feel sick, and disgusted.

“I want to, but I don’t know how.” Jong-suk replied softly, his lips shut tight when Woo-bin walking towards him together with that deadly gazes of him. Less than second, Jong-suk’s shoulder jerks out of surprise when his collar being grabbed in violent. For a moment, he was too bowled over and didn’t realizes that Woo-bin’s sharp fingernails have scratched against his neck.

“You are the one who makes me hell suffer like this. All weak and lethargic...” Woo-bin hardly expelled every word, as he also battling with his own shaky breathing. “If you-“

Someone suddenly knocks the door from outside and makes both of them glanced at their side all together. Woo-bin let go Jong-suk’s collar with a grunt, well enough to make Jong-suk shudders all way. From behind, he studied at Woo-bin’s black hairs, black eyes, black tops and denim, all black start from his head until toe, obviously his dark appearance really manage to make someone to get goosebumps.

Jong-suk opens the door and someone with dark brown hairs immediately knocks his shoulder. “Jongsuk-ah, are you skipping school again? I saw your motorcycle at the parking when I want to send my cousin to school.”

“Morning, Myungsoo-ah.” Jong-suk grinned a bit upon the presence of his best friend here. Although Myung-soo is a college student and obviously was few years older than him, they get together pretty well since the day Jong-suk moved in here. And to see someone cheerful like Myung-soo in the morning is really fun, but when his senses return, Jong-suk’s face turn gloomy straight away.

“Hey, you are not inviting me in like always?” Myung-soo crossed his arms, slightly wonder with the troubled expression show in the younger face.

“Ah, that...well, its kinda mess-“ Before Jong-suk could finish, Myung-soo already pushed him aside and enters the place excitedly.

“What is that? Are you hiding a girl?!” Myung-soo teased to cheer up the atmosphere, and it works when Jong-suk slightly smile at him. He wanted to drag his friend away from here as he feels like this is a wrong timing to play around but one cold voice have immediately stops their move.

“Unfortunately, I’m a guy.”

Myung-soo quite amazed with the strange voice that come from nowhere. He strides out forward and quickly found the owner who now lying on the floor, face covered with a manhwa. Wow he looks pretty tall for average people, Myung-soo thought. He put his eyes on Jong-suk then, demands an explanation but Jong-suk just remains a tight face.

“I’m sorry, Myungsoo-ah. But I’m pretty busy now.” Jong-suk tries to find an excuse to get rid of his friend out from here, as he doesn’t have a heart to ask Myung-soo to leave straightforwardly.

“Who’s that?” Myung-soo pointed out his finger towards the silent figure, totally ignoring what Jong-suk said just now.

“He is..” Jong-suk rubbed behind his neck to calm himself, even he knows his brain totally couldn’t work out especially at crucial times like this. “He is...hey, I wanted to return this to you.” Jong-suk feels slightly relieved when he saw a magazine put on the table that he borrowed from Myung-soo few days ago.

“Ah right, I forget about it already. Anyway, have you read the jokes section in this magazine?” Myung-soo asked, and he take a seat just beside Woo-bin who still pretending like he asleep.

Jong-suk stares up to recalls back. “I couldn’t remember what it is.”

“It’s about vampire!” Myung-soo stated cheerfully, while on the other side Jong-suk can see that Woo-bin jaws clenched at the words. Oh no, I think I knew which content that Myung-soo are talking about. It featured in jokes section, where they write all about funny facts and myths about vampire. I need to stop him-

“The funniest myths written here is when you kiss a vampire, you will turn as a vampire too.” Myung-soo failed to hides his laugh when he read the pages again. “How to kiss the vampires when they are not even exist in this world. Right, Jongsuk-ah?”

Jong-suk hesitantly nods. He still leaning against the wall, carefully watching Woo-bin lying on the floor whereas Myung-soo sits just close to him. If Woo-bin keeps on silent, and Myung-soo keep on talking about the content in the magazine, perhaps there is chance for him to change his friend attention to somewhere else.

“Do you believe in them, Jongsuk-ah?” Myung-soo spill out the question out of sudden.

“Eh?” Jong-suk grinned nervously. “Well, if they really exist in this world then I think I’m fine with that..”

“Are you crazy!?” Myung-soo retorts in surprise. He put down the magazine without realize it almost hit Woo-bin’s head. “Yah Jongsuk-ah, don’t you know that our world will be upside down if they are really exist!? They go hunting at night, they hurting peoples, they biting girls for blood, and then making fuss here and there just for fun.” Myung-soo’s shoulder shuddered upon his own story. “It will be a creepy and frightening life, you know. Because they never liked us in the first place.”

Jong-suk’s throat becomes dry upon hearing the last words from Myung-soo. He stares at Woo-bin who still not making any reaction until now, makes him wonders if Woo-bin was totally fall asleep or what.

“Ah, my sister already asks where I am now!” Myung-soo reads the cellphone screen in a glimpse before keep it back into the pocket. He gets up and reach forward to hits Jong-suk at the back, the usual act they made before leaves. “Yah, your friend is totally dead asleep. Send my regards to him anyway.”

They exchanges goodbyes and right after he closed the door, Jong-suk holds his head and let out a relief sigh. Actually, he really scared to imagine that Woo-bin might really do something to hurt him like what Myung-soo told earlier. Therefore, he kinda hesitates to get back to his place and it took few minutes for Jong-suk to gain guts in his heart back.

Jong-suk aims to go straight to his bedroom, but somehow he peek at his side and see that Woo-bin is still there, except now he was facing the wall. “Woobin-ah, I hope you are not angry. I know Myung-soo didn’t really mean what he said just now.”

Woo-bin just stretched his shoulders a bit without says anything.

“Woobin-ah, everything that my friend said is not true right?”

“Shut up, bastard. I’m sleeping.”

“Why don’t you sleep in my bedroom? It’s uncomfortable to sleep on the floor anyway.”

Woo-bin growled with his eyes closed. “Don’t suggest something ridiculous.”

Jong-suk ruffled his brownish hairs, making it messier than usual but actually adding up hot looks on him. He disappears into the bedroom for few minutes before get out with a pillow in his embrace. Without thinking much, he grabs Woo-bin on wrist and the latter just helplessly being drag towards the bedroom. “Hey!” He tries to protest by pulling back his wrist but it’s not working. They stopped at the front of the bedroom door, and Woo-bin hissed when Jong-suk stares down at him, like how an owner stares down at their puppy. Damn it, if he was still vampire he knew he can knock Jong-suk down with just one blow.

“It’s okay, I’ll be outside so you can have this room for your own.” Jong-suk said calmly, and quite startled when Woo-bin gets up and stand closely to him.

“Don’t treat me like a fool.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about.”

The relax tone lay in Jong-suk’s voice only makes Woo-bin feels more enraged, but soon his face turns surprise as he just saw something strange. “Yah, what’s this-“ He touches against Jong-suk’s delicate neck but pull away his hand when the younger whimpers.

Jong-suk quiet embarrassed with his blatant reaction but slowly follows to touch his neck too and stunned looking at hints of blood against his palm. No wonder he feels slightly sting around his neck since Myung-soo came. Perhaps his skin been scratched earlier and only now, the wound is bleeding.

“So, since you are okay with sunlight...I thought of bring you out for a walk. Can we?” Jong-suk ends it with a smile, but frowned at Woo-bin’s serious face.

“You are bleeding, bastard. Go settle that first.” Woo-bin groaned.

“I know,” Jong-suk bows, his eyes turn droopy and with those brownish fringes spread against his forehead, it makes Woo-bin staring at him in wonder. “We leave now.”

Woo-bin watched Jong-suk left from his side. The younger took something from the kitchen, probably plaster to put on his wound, before walk into the bathroom. 

When Jong-suk didn’t come out from the bathroom after about 10 minutes, Woo-bin starts to feel uneasy. That bleeding is because of him, he purposely scratched on Jong-suk’s neck although the younger seems very unaware with that. Luckily, that Myung-soo or whatever his name is didn’t recognize this thing or it will be another trouble for them.

As he thought about the bleeding, something across his mind and Woo-bin almost hit his knees on the edge of the Japanese table when he jumps out from where he sits. Hey, I just saw fresh blood in front of my eyes yet I didn’t make any move about that?! Does it signifying that I’ve no more reaction towards blood!? No, I won’t let myself turn to human. There is no way I will waiting here stupidly and just see how thing goes by. I’m not that kind of loser.

Woo-bin rushes forward and opens the bathroom door, which luckily seem to be unlocked. His eyes were deep in mad but Woo-bin frowned upon the view of Jong-suk lay on the floor with his head rest against the wall. Seems like he haven’t clean the bloodstains yet, and now the wound look much worse with lines of blood trailed down until staining around his collar. Woo-bin fall speechless and he just bluntly kneeled down and shaking Jong-suk’s shoulder in rough. “Hey, what happen to you?! Yah, Jong-suk! Do you hear me?!”

Jong-suk narrowed his eyebrows, his eyes slowly opened followed by a frown against his face. He holds his heavy head while glancing at his side, still not fully recognizes who is the person beside him. However, as the image become clearer, Jong-suk absent-mindedly distanced himself although it’s useless considers how close their position are right now.

“Huh, what now? Sleeping?” Woo-bin asks coldly.

“No, I just..” Jong-suk feels sudden heat against his cheek and he quickly looking at somewhere else rather that into this person’s eyes. “I tend to faint at the sight of blood.”

Woo-bin laughter fills up the bathroom. “What kind of hilarious stuff is that?”

“This kind of hilarious stuff is call as hematophobia.”

"Ah don't fooling around, nobody will faint just by looking at blood. You are just a coward."

"I really have hematophobia since small."

Woo-bin slows down his laugh when he feels the seriousness in Jong-suk’s voice, who appears to staring at everywhere with no clue. Inhales in depth, Woo-bin grab the towel he found behind the door, wetted it with running water from the tap and it smoothly against Jong-suk’s neck. He did it carefully like he just wiping dust from a precious treasure, and both of them try to not making any eye contact though their faces are very close to each other.

“Change your clothes.” Woo-bin instructs as he washing off the dirty towel under the running water. The water in the sink appears reddish and Woo-bin slightly wonder if Jong-suk really lost some blood, and if it’s true that he really have this kind of phobia towards blood. Well, that would be dangerous if he injured himself at home as no one will look after him, right?

“Woobin-ah, can you help me to get up?”

Woo-bin’s eyebrows narrowed at the soft voice. He already feel disgusted by helping out this brat, and now he has to do...what!?

“Get up by yourself, bastard.” Woo-bin says coldly as he making his way out the bathroom. Jong-suk just staring at him with tongue in his cheek. What an unfriendly person. Nevertheless, when his fingers touched a plaster against his neck, Jong-suk couldn’t stop from feel embarrassed as he remembered how close their face before, where he secretly study each inch of Woo-bin features and unemotional face though the latter seems not realize about his act. Or maybe, Woo-bin just pretends that he didn’t realizes it?

“Hey, you girl.” Woo-bin scolds from the half-open door, and sigh when knowing that Jong-suk still not moved even a bit from his earlier position. “Let’s go out already! I think I might die if I stay here for another 5 minutes.”

Without more ado, Jong-suk just bluntly undresses himself and Woo-bin hurriedly closed the door although he intend to shouts actually. Yah, what’s that! This brat really know no shame, how could you undress when someone is looking at you! Woo-bin shakes his head at the horrible thought and throws his gaze out of the window to calm himself. He hates to make a wish, but for the first time in his life, Woo-bin wish that he could find something to solve this situation while going out with that bastard after this. Please, even a hint could do. I never imagine to stuck as human forever and I really, truly mean it.

 

p/s: well, I think Myung-soo gets a bit OOC here. LOL. Sorry for that. xD Thx for reading~