Chapter 1: Unexpected Encounter

Vampire Beside You

“Jong-suk!"

The golden haired guy abruptly looked up but only to get his head hit by a flying book. “Aish, what are you doing!?” Jong-suk rubs his messy hair in complete annoyance. He then glanced at his right and left side, dumbfounded, before slowly realizes that all peoples in this cram class are watching him in silence. Damn it, he was caught sleeping just in the beginning of teaching - again.

“You have problem with my teaching style?” The teacher asked firmly.

“No, I...don’t get enough sleep, that’s why...” Jong-suk freezes at his position. His voice toned down and a heat sensation on his face turns superior when the teacher walking towards him.

“You don’t have better excuse?”

Jong-suk holds the pen really tight while his head working hard to find another reason to defence himself. But then, the more he tries to squeezing his brain, the more clueless he become. Damn, this was totally useless does it?

His physical is at worse and his mental state is even worsening. To become as a student in the morning, doing part time job as delivery guy in the evening then go for cram school arranged by his parents at night, honestly Jong-suk aren’t sure when he have time just to take a look at himself in the mirror.

“Jong-suk!” The teacher slams the desk very hard and Jong-suk bowed even lower to avoid making an eye contact not just to the teacher but to all in this class.

“Sir, just continue with this topic already. Only 30 minutes left and we are not doing even one exercise.” The long hair girl who sits in front speaks out without turning her head behind. For what? This has happen for every single night and it doesn’t really bother the class anymore including her. Whether in school or in cram class, Jong-suk always end up caught sleeping or any acts that will caused the teacher to burn in anger.

The teacher’s deep staring is really hurtful, it feels like his skin being stabbed with thorn. But Jong-suk aware that nothing he can do except to say those 3 cursed words. “Please forgive me.”

***

The surrounding of the building is really quiet as the students dismissed from their cram class. Some leaving with their parents’ car, some with their own motorbike while the rest mostly choose to just walking, consider that the distance between the building and their home is not really far.

“Yah, are you not going to thank me?!” A loud scream from behind knocks his ear and Jong-suk stops tying his helmet to find out who the voice’s owner is.

“Ah, you...you are,” Jong-suk gone hesitates for a moment, his brows turns steeper as he tries to recognize the face but he failed. A long haired girl in dark blue blouse with long black skirt who standing still with tight smile on her face. As he pretending to check out her appearance, Jong-suk can barely saw a pink Smartphone in her fist. “You are..”

“Park Se-young.” She finished the sentence. “Seems like you haven’t recognized me as your classmate yet?”

“You are my classmate?” Jong-suk retorts in surprise.

Ha-kyung sighed. As her lips trembles, suddenly the wind getting stronger which makes her long hair spreads freely but she quickly tucks them behind her ears. It was nothing, but when Jong-suk stares at her silently things just getting awkward. She faked a cough to hides her embarrassment but only awarded with a sly smile from the latter.

“You should just let your hair fly as it is.” Jong-suk adjusts his position on the motorbike seat before done with his helmet. He squeezes the key and the loud sound of engine followed afterward.

“What do you mean?” She asked doubtfully.

“It’s beautiful.” Just by that, Jong-suk speed up his motorbike and leaving grey smokes fill up the air. Se-young stunned but hurriedly waves her hand to get rid of those smokes. Somehow she manages to glance at the school bag put against the boy shoulders. It appears thin, and she completely ensures that there’s nothing in it. Attend a class without bringing a single book? You must be completely dead if the teacher found out about this, she whispered.

**

“Damn it, not again!!” Jong-suk whacks the front door of the house repeatedly. Ignoring whether his action might attract attention from others, Jong-suk keep cursing while turning the door knob in harsh. His palm turns slightly red as he has been knocking the door a lot though it doesn’t working. His breathing becomes short and slowly he falls on his knees. Damn it, just when I thought I could get a proper sleep now my home keys has gone missing somewhere. How great! And now, even he has hit the door and turning the door knob for countless times, this damn door seems to be really firm built.

Jong-suk pulled back his chaotic hairs and left out a really heavy sigh. He looked around to see that the surrounding is very quiet before glancing at his watch. The time is almost 12 in midnight. He throws aside his bag and stands up. Annoyance has really fulfil his head and Jong-suk kick the door grill with his shoes before walking down the stair from the 9-levels apartments.

**

Tranquil, distant and peaceful. Somehow his feet approaching this place again. An empty playground. Since the new playground has been open nearby to the apartment few months ago, most residents prefer to go there and left this one abandoned. He hasn’t reached here for a while though but things don’t change much, the seesaws and the cradles are still on its place except that the grasses around have grown longer than ever.

Sitting on the wooden bench, Jong-suk took time just to spat off some dirt off his shoes before his eyes staring up intensely at the wide sky. Since he was living alone, he has to sort things out by himself, including this sudden-missing-home keys stuff. He doesn’t want to wake up his sleeping neighbour nor that he want to ask for spare keys from the security. Perhaps it is a habit of him to keep everything to himself and hates to involve anyone into his problem.

At age 16 he has already moved out from his parent house and rent a room in the apartment. It’s not that they are having problems but once Jong-suk has firm his decision nothing anyone can do to stops him. Although they are apart by huge distance, his parent still taking care about his education including by sending him to a cram school to prepare himself for college, considering that his grade in school are nothing that one can be proud of.

“Wait, perhaps the keys left under my desk just now?” His eyes open broadly at the suggestion. “Damn it, if only he didn’t scold me out of sudden.” Jong-suk grunted, he stands up and about to heading to his motorbike when something blocks his way.

“Hm?” Jong-suk kneeled down to get a closer look at the huge stuffs that lying on the ground. The shape is feathery, very smooth and downy against his fingers. Curious, Jong-suk raise up the thing but pulls back in surprise when the light from surrounding has made it clear to view.

Are they...wings?

“Give it back to me.”

Jong-suk snapped and promptly turned around his body. From faraway, he can see a dark figure walking towards him with white smokes spreading on the ground. For a moment, it feels like everything around him suddenly stopped without reason.

Thinking on perhaps this wing is just one of stuffs using by cosplayer, Jong-suk want to fool the other for practicing at times like this. But as their distance become close, his breathing turns hitch and his legs can’t stop trembling when he tries to step backwards.

“Don’t come closer!”


“I told you to give them back to me.” The cold voice echoed the air again. The face is somewhat still blurred by the white smokes and only his silhouette could be seen walking towards Jong-suk.

“I found these wings first.” Jong-suk speaks in difficult. “So it’s mine.” He said while pressing the wings closer to his chest.

A mocking laugh heard from the dark silhouette. “It’s not about who find it first, bastard. Those wings are mine so give them back to me.”

“How do you know if it’s yours?”

“I’m about to take them before you suddenly appear from nowhere.”

Jong-suk smirked, his hand still not letting the wings away. “Are you a cosplayer?”

It took few seconds before the latter giving a response. “I don’t know what the hell you are talking about, just give them back to me.”

“No! These wings are mine!” Jong-suk turned around and ran all his might to the road. He was almost there but before he could approach the motorbike, his footstep immediately died when the dark silhouette standing just an inch from him.

What!? How could he suddenly appear in front of me?! He still behind me just now right!?

“Give them back to me, bastard. I’m not interested to play chase-and-run with a human.”

“I’m not a bastard.” Jong-suk replied, his chest turning upside down.

“Yeah, whatever. Just return them to me while I’m still being polite.”

Jong-suk steps backward, still not willing to let go the black wings. Although he feels like something bad about to happen, he doesn’t have a clue on why he insists to return back the wings either. It just, this is the first time for him being able to touch the black wings this close, this huge and...this lively. And to hand this precious wing to someone who is very strange and suspicious is of course, never.

This is ridiculous. Jong-suk turned aside but again, the dark silhouette instantly appears in front of him. “Do you really prefer the painful way?”

“Who are you!?” Jong-suk screamed, an endless sweat flowing down his jaws when the other getting closer and suddenly let out a scary laugh. His feet got freeze on the ground and as the white smoke begin to slowly disappear, the image of the figure just getting clearer.

Incredibly high. Sharp fangs. Pale skin. Brownish hairs. Red eyes. Crooked fingernails. Vibrant red cloak. Jong-suk gulped at every details. His eyes remain open wide, totally clueless he doesn’t even realize that his fist is slowly loosened and the wings fall down the ground.

...vampire?

The tall figure smirks at the sight of dumbfounded guy ahead. He bows to pick up the wings, slightly patting them before holding it tightly. “What a stubborn human...” As soon as he finished his words, Jong-suk quickly get up and wrapping his neck vigorously. 

“..what now, bastard?”

Jong-suk rapid breathing becomes slightly calmer, although his fingers are still shaking as he encircles his hands around stranger’s neck. “Are you a real vampire?”

The tall figure neither nods nor turns his head. “What it has to do with you anyway?”

“If you really a true vampire, then I want to prove something.”

Even though his skin is pale and almost white, the frown expression on his face is still noticeable which replaced by a mocking smile later. “What do you-”

Before the latter could say more, Jong-suk pulls him down a little and placed a kiss right at his lips. It’s happen too fast and he wanted to fight back but strangely, both of them just standing still there and let their lips locked closely. Weird, there’s a taste of rush but also soothe in the way this human kissing him. But as soon as his senses return, he quickly pushes Jong-suk into the ground, this time with a force. “You bastard. What are you going to prove by kissing me?!”

Jong-suk blushed at his own action, but he quickly wipes off his lips and get on his feet. “I heard from someone saying that, if a human kiss a vampire then he will turn as vampire too!”

The latter’s blinked awkwardly, his eyebrows just getting narrowed than earlier and it makes Jong-suk a bit insecure when he realizes that he just getting on nerves with someone he shouldn’t to.

“Really? Then that ‘someone’ you refer to must be really stupid just like you!”

Jong-suk grinned michiveously. Ignoring his painful hips, he steps towards the mad figure and smirks. “You are not a real vampire at all!”

“Hey listen,” Now he is the one who steps back and Jong-suk aren’t sure whether his hearing got problem or what but the latter suddenly sounds weak, his steps become unusual and the white smoke surrounded him also completely disappeared. “A...a vampire should never let human touches them, or kiss them to be worse! What do you think you are doing?!” He shouts aloud, there’s burning rage in his eyes and it makes Jong-suk gasped at the scary sight.

“Why are you so mad?”

“Because..!” His eyes slowly closed and he fall into Jong-suk’s embrace, who having a hard time to balance himself when a sudden weight put on him.

“Hey?” Jong-suk shaking the cold body over and over again. “What now, your cosplay time is over?”  He murmured but no responds come from the latter. Both of them drop to the ground and Jong-suk rubbed his shoulder to reduce the soreness. He then turned around the body to see the fainted guy’s face. Surprisingly, his pale skin turn just like human skin, brownish hair turns black, fingernails seems normal, no fangs seen, and strangely, he looks just like typical young guy out there. The cloak and the wings also mysteriously went missing from the sight.

Just in mere seconds, Jong-suk has a weird idea loom in his head. He tries to shakes the cold body again but still no responds. He checks on the face one more time and completely sure that this is not just a thing of cosplay. Oh no, perhaps when I kiss a vampire then...then that vampire will be turning as human!?