V for Victory!

When You Look in the Mirror...What Do You See?

Taehyung pov

 

When I finally hung the boy in the mirror back onto the wall, I noticed how late it was by the fall of darkness outside my window, the only thing helping me see the unbelievably large, closer than usual as if it was going to come crashing down on the world moon shining brightly, leaving me awe-struck.

 

While I stood there appreciating nature's beauty, I also pondered the bizarre occurence of the night.

 

It may seem unbelievable, but it was quite casual and completely normal the way we chatted the rest of the day away.
 

"So how's it goin' in there?"
 

"Are you hungry?"
 

"Seeing anybody lately? lol"
 

These kinds of conversation topics.
 

It was still a little awkward because I mean I was naturally awkward, but apparently I was also either crazy or there was more to this crazy world than meets the eye, am I right?

 

But we made do with small talk, since he seemed to lack even that leisure and it was just like speaking to another human being, except he was much, much sweeter than I initially thought, given how he cursed at me a few times...but i'd let that slide. I still didn't know what he could do to me after all, haha..haa.

 

I was about to get ready for bed, leaving for my bedroom, when I heard him yawn from the blindspot of his...mirror face? And call for me.

 

...where are you going...? please don't leave me again...."


Question marks were plastered all over my face. What did he mean by that?


I was already walking back towards him to face him while asking what was wrong, but then I saw he had already fallen asleep.


I realized my view seemed to zoom in and out based on his will or subconscious, since at first all I could see was the upper half of his body, but as he was drifting off, he was literally drifting off into the distance.


While he was nodding off the rest of his world was unveiling before me, surroundings of pure white walls, one large window leading to more windows of worlds of white, and himself, an embodiment of purity.

 

He was floating...as if in a bubble of his own and his bareness revealed smooth, milky white skin, free of any bodily hair except for the long and lustrous jet-black hair falling over his downward tilting face, swaying gently back and forth in an air of it's own. Wrapped in a gossamer of silk that had barely covered his torso and lower region, it was reminscent of the asian depiction of goddesses with cloth flying about their limbs that I had once seen in a textbook for a japanese literature class in college. Though...less fully clothed, if I may add.


He looked as if he had never been born or exposed to any ugliness...the wickedness of humans or the cruelty of the world...though his profane language told me otherwise. Perhaps he had encountered some less than polite people in his time here.

 

His silhouette was just as seemingly fragile...thin wrists that would crumble at the touch of another and a pale, gaunt face accentuating the sharpness of his jawline and facial features. His ribs were slightly protruding and lining his upper torso as his back arched and his arms and legs dangled in the space of nothingness, like Snow White after she'd taken a bite of the poisoned apple. I could only tell by the soft parting of his lips intaking breaths that he was alive... but I still wanted to knock on the glass just to make sure.
 

I really had no choice but to be curious, didn't I?
 

This was all just too surreal...I was truly half-expecting to wake up the next morning uncomfortably sprawled out on my bed, kicking off fanned out papers, clothes and some more important objects, like my laptop...but also half-hoping he'd still be there, greeting me a good morning like it was natural. This turn of events was such an exciting thing after all.


I wondered if there was a way for him to...turn himself off, like earlier when I couldn't see him until he was willing to show himself to me.

 

I also wondered if I could touch him.

 

I was just curious. Honestly.

 

If he was warm...or cold...or simply how he felt. If he felt just as perfect as he looked in my eyes, in my hands...

I mean, I think that i'd like to befriend him.

 

I'd been missing a human presence, honestly. It had actually already been some few weeks since I moved out, before I finally started writing and the mirror decided to talk to me, and hadn't really been doing anything with my life during, living solely off the mercy of my mother who had obliged to help me pay rent for the first three months. I was that dirt poor. And time was reaching the end of the first. No matter how scathingly she spoke, she was the best, most caring mother in the world, and I would never or let anyone else say otherwise. All I had was my family but now they were gone. I was already past that childish age of asking my mom for hugs and kisses, though I did do it at times just to be annoying, and she already had a lot on her plate trying to feed and give as much love as she gave me to her two youngest.

 

I was already grown. I could take care of myself and look for love and intimacy elsewhere if I needed it.

 

But actually...I couldn't. Or more like, I didn't know how.

 

I may have confidence in my looks, but I wasn't very good at approaching others. Because they wouldn't let me. I didn't have many close friends in college, since they always seemed to be avoiding or staying away from me, but I could have sworn I felt stares at the back of my head and all over my body when I wasn't looking. I'd try to catch them, but there were just so many people roaming around campus I could never tell who they were...ahhh I was so lonely~

 

So here I was seeking compassion and affection from a mirror. An inanimate object. Or more like an animate object in an inanimate object. But it was still a mirror! It just couldn't be possible...what am I thinking?! How sad could I be...

 

...but when I think about how much lonelier he must be feeling...trapped in that flawless but empty world, just waiting for someone to keep him company, that someone always changing and never willing to stay with him...I felt sympathetic.


I would never say I was in the same situation as he was, but it was similar. Being in a world full of billions of people I had the opportunity to interact with, yet not willing to and all strangers to me, made me so, so regretful. Why was it so hard? Why is it that this day and age people cared less and less?


Suddenly drowning in my own melancholy like the world's most dramatic mood swing, I was snapped out of my woeful contemplation by another somewhat cry for help.


"I'm so lonely...I wish someone...would stay..." The boy in the mirror mumbled in his sleep, accompanied by the most pitifully crying, sorrowful face. The tears were crystal-like, gleaming as they slowly rolled off the hills of his face into what I thought was nothingness, but was actually more like a lake of that blended in with everything, the way his tear drops created a resonance as they fell down to a certain level of the whiteness.
 

At that moment, I had never been so in sync with someone else's thoughts and feelings as much as I was then and there, that I was overflowing with the desire to do as he requested.
 

Maybe he needed a friend just as much as I did...
 

...


Without another prolonged thought I dashed to my room, swatted all the things on my bed off with one fell swoop, climbed over it and pulled the blanket out from the corners of the mattress, packing that and a few of my favorite pillows under my arms as I marched on back to the living room huffing with a satisifed, -eatting grin at my nonexistent victory.


I laid myself down on the couch parallel the mirror once again, this time more comfortably and with more purpose, wrapped up in the blanket like a caterpillar and burying my hands beneath the pillow.

 

I stared tenderly into the mirror unable to peel my eyes away and bid the boy in the mirror a good night and sweet dreams...because I would definitely still be there the moment his eyelids started to flutter open, uncovering his beautifully deep and dark, chocolate brown eyes.

 

I secretly promised him and to myself that I'd be the first thing he saw when he woke up.