Who the Are Yeeew

When You Look in the Mirror...What Do You See?

At the kindly request of my good mother, I finally moved out of the house.

Her exact words were, "GET OUT THE IN HOUSE YOU FREELOADER!! GET A JOB AND YOUR OWN DAMN PLACE."

Oh sweet, sweet mother, how I already miss you so.

I am now currently at some apartment flat in some random area working as...a freelance writer. At least until I get a paying job.

I ended up in a place completely unbeknownst to myself because the rent was cheap. About $300 a month. Comes with utilities but supposedly no furniture. Does that sound mildly sketchy to you? Well they say it's because the place is haunted.

Oh well i'll manage, I don't believe in any of that bullcrap anyway.

The one thing that did get me going though, was that this place was completely empty...except for one thing.

A mirror.

Now why the hell would you leave something like that behind?

It even looks a bit expensive too.

I wonder how much I could pitch it for...well i'll just leave it there for now, I've got more important things to do.

I need something pretty in my life anyway.

 


 

After finishing unpacking, I was bored out of my mind.

I couldn't bring any of my gaming consoles or anything because my parents bought those, and my kid siblings, their better children, deserve it more anyway.

So since I didn't particularly have anything better to do, I picked up a pen and paper. If this was my current career, I might as well have a one hit wonder under my belt.

My story.

Now you may think, what's so interesting about a boy who's only forced to write due to his mundane life? Well because there is no excitement in his current life, he will probably venture out to do things out of the ordinary and write about it.

I guess you could call it a diary. Actually it IS simply just a diary.

Everything I say may or may not be fictional.

This is my bucket list.

I'm dying and in complete denial of my uality.

I'm lying. Or am I?

See, you may never know.

Now, where to begin...


---


I am lying in bed...my bed of clothes scattered and piling all around me.

In the darkness of my room the ambiance was comforting, a mellow shade of orange seeping through the window curtains, basking me in not entirely unwanted warmth, incense burning on the edge of my mahogany desk, which may or may not have been such a smart thing for me to do, and a paper tower tilting in the center, an attempt to play paper jenga because...well because why not?

Some of the papers were fluttering around because i didn't have the energy to turn off the fan, which by the way I was DEATHLY afraid of, the way it swayed and hitched every now and then. I swear, this place is a death trap. I should've thought about my choices a little more. One of these days it'll just come flying at me and chop my head off. How i await the day...Well that was a depressing thought.

Right now...I feel invincible in the comfort of my room and isolation. I don't need much. Peace and quiet is all I really ask for.

But recently I feel a need to change. Why and what for exactly?

Maybe it's because I'm a grown- man and I got kicked out.

Or maybe because I haven't had a girlfriend in years.

God i'm lonely.

And bored.

I wish something would happen to me.

ANYTHING.
 

.....


this.


---


I went to the kitchen to whip up some coffee.

I was depressing myself and doing absolutely nothing was making me tired.

But being wrapped up in the aroma of dark roast coming from my minuscule cubicle of a kitchen while I sat in the adjacent living room re-reading an equally boring newspaper was making me sleepier.

*YAAAAWN*

Why fight it.

When I stretched my body out onto the sofa, I caught a glimpse of the medium-sized, circular hanging mirror in front of me.

I inspected a few aspects about it apathetically, from its design to its clean cut; I may not know anything about carpentry, but it looked like professional work.

There was a pattern etched around the rim of the mirror, that I fancied was like some ancient language from a faraway land that nobody knew existed yet. Pffft. Well the slick wood was shiny and captivating, if that means anything. It looked like it would be smooth to the touch.

I had no particular reason, but I just stared at myself through the glass. It was so pristine, completely intact and no scars whatsoever. It was like I was looking into my very own soul through the reflection of my deep, chocolate brown eyes. I'm not a narcissist, but I have to admit to myself...damn I am good looking. If I couldn't take care of myself and get a stable living, well there were alternatives.

I always told myself, and it's not a lie, that I wouldn't run out of options. So i'll be fine. Definitely.

But on another note, maybe it's a wish fulfilling mirror~

Hmm...

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all~? If it's me give my empty life some meaning!

...

Okay I'm done now.

After thinking out loud to myself for quite some time, my eyelids were getting heavier and heavier.

Coffee...you're not gonna make it on time...you've failed me...

But just when my eyes were squinting to stay open to the last of its moments before it shut closed, I thought I saw a hint of a shadow flash in the mirror.

I was already too gone though.

...

"..h..."

......

"..he..."

.........

"..hey...!"

Hmm..? Someone's calling out to me...

"GOd...-mit...y..LAZY !!! GET THE UP!"

WHAT WHO CALLS ME?! I sat up panicking because I felt like my mom's presence was there and her loud voice was ringing in my ears...except that it sounded manlier than usual.

My eyes were still fluttering about and rolling around in their sockets like the ing exorcist had possessed them.

I stood up dashing towards the kitchen, but not without smacking my shin into the edge of the ING coffee table, tumbling over the arm of the sofa and dolphin diving on the floor like a motherin olympic medalist to grab something..anything..a..a in LADLE?!

Really Taehyung, at least grab something you can shank a motherer with!! I mentally scolded myself. But wait a minute, NO ONE'S SUPPOSED TO BE IN HERE, WHO THE !

"Woah woah, calm down...i'm in your head, nobody's REALLY here Taehyung."

Holy.

.

...this is the end. I'm screwed. I'm in crazy..! OH NO. What do I tell mom!? nooooooo she'll never let me live this down!!

"...You're fine Taehyung. Well you're stupid, but you're fine."

How's that even possible, voice in my head? I shouldn't even be hearing you if i was okay...OH NO. I'M COMMUNICATING WITH IT..!! Yeap, I'm no use to society anymore. Can't get a job. Can't have a family, unless I want to pass down these crazy genes to my children. To my children's children. To my children's children's children and ruin their lives forever...! Might as well go live on a deserted island as a hermit from now on. Meditate. Become an ultimate martial artist in my solitude. Come back and save the world from a zombie apocalypse. OOHhhoHHOhHOHOh! Now that sounded dope. I mean, it's only a matter of time~

"! Can you just listen for one second?! Stop thinking about irrelevant things!! You're killing my brain cells dammit! I swear, of all people to move in, I get a ...i'm losing hope here..." The voice in my head grumbled sadly.

...what's wrong?

"...huh? You're seriously going to ask a voice in your head if it's okay?? Are you crazy?? Waah, i'm scared."

What?! But YOU were the one that said I was okay!! AHHH stop playing mind games with me!!

"...hehe, you're so silly. Are you an alien?? I feel like i'm the normal one here. Maybe you're not such a bad person after all...come to the mirror, I'll reveal myself. You're so naive you MIGHT just be able to handle this and assume it was all just a dream or something later..."

My attention was averted to the mirror.

What could possibly..? Oh I could seriously die right now if i'm being lured into a trap or something...but...the voice was pretty. It was smooth and flowed like honey. No beautiful voice could mean any harm right?

I slowly went to approach the mirror, side-glancing at every direction for a moving figure following me to give me a reason to smack it around with a very hard, very sturdy ladle. I could give them some mean splinters.

Once I was close enough to see my own reflection, I checked if there was anything behind me from it, and swiftly spun around to scan my surroundings one last time.

...Nothing.

Odd. I'm seriously just hearing things.

I thought about my situation and what could be happening to me for one more minute before I was just like meh, might as well see this through for the hell of it. I mean I was bored right? I asked for anything to happen to me right?? Maybe this was god's answer.

I moved to turn, eyes blinking at the exact same moment, and when I was facing the mirror's direction and opening my eyes-

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a 360 no scope with my ladle, attempting to hit anything, and fell onto the edge of my coffee table with the back of my head.

My ladle fell on top of my head comically and I was seeing Tweety birds flying around my head.

Ahhh, life couldn't have been better.

I hadn't fainted, but I laid on the floor with my eyes open staring at the ceiling, sad tears forming at the corners of my eyes, stunned. I was hoping the impact would've cleared my head, but...

"*snrrrk* *kukuku*...are you *AHAHAHA* *huu..huu..* ok?! *heeheehee*"

Nope. It was still there.

"Yeap. I'm still here. And I've been listening to your thoughts the whole time. You're really something else Taehyung."

Haaa...how do you know my name?

"Come! Come to the mirror. You already saw me right?? I'm in here."

Wooow. So this place seriously IS haunted. Who would've thunk?

"Well in my defense, i'm not really haunting anyone...people come and go, and I don't follow them when they leave...I'm kinda just another resident here, forever alone. The landlord keeps me because ever since tenants first complained about me, I attracted those supernatural loving freaks and brought him more business than ever, though he's never actually stepped foot in here and seen me for himself. It's not like I bite...but I never show myself to those kinds of people intentionally seeking me out, since I don't know what they'll do to me after all. I don't even know how i ended up here, or who left me here. That kinda hurts my feelings actually. I kinda feel unwanted. I'm pouting, if you couldn't tell, since you won't come face me like a man."

...Alright, alright. I'm coming. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings...

"...Thank you."

...If you even have any. I mean are you even an intelligent creature? What am I talking to? I didn't quite catch what I saw.

"Well first of all, you, I probably have a higher IQ than you. And second of all I retract what I previously said, you weirdo. Now get the over here."

YES MA'AM. I MEAN SIR. I MEAN MA'AM?!

"UGH!!"

I hurriedly stood up, pat myself down and jumped to the front of the mirror.

I was looking down since I was still pretty afraid...I mean who the wouldn't be? But when I slowly tried to sneak a peek, peering from the edge of the mirror and bringing my gaze up to the center, I saw... 

I saw another human being...a boy, with long black hair draping his effeminate face...wow...

Was he just a human-like figure...?

A human-looking beast??

A humanoid?!

, I don't know!!

"...Man you're seriously retarded. Other people have told me I looked exactly like another human. Don't make me into something i'm not."

O-okay sorry. I just can't accept that i'm NOT seeing myself right now. Or could this be what I looked like this whole time and didn't realize? Hahaha!...I'm sorry. I was just kidding. Tryna make the mood lighter, y'know?!...It wasn't funny, not at all. Right! So umm...what's your name is probably a good place to start? You knew mine from the beginning for some reason, but the voice in my head never introduced itself.

"You...want to know my name? Huh. Well it's...u-um, actually no one's asked me for a name for such a long time, I...I can't quite remember...my name...what was it? I-i don't know...Why haven't I thought of this before...What if I shouldn't even exist?! Right here...right now...T-Taehyung please! Tell me that I...j-just tell me something, anything!!!"

W-what the ?! I can't just..!

. He's suddenly panicking. Without even explaining anything!! Dammit, I gotta think...what'll ease his mind? S-should I lie?? But.....no choice, i'll just bet on it!

J-JEON KOOK!!!

"...What?"

Y-your name is *gulp*(i'm ed)...your english name is John and you like to cook, s-so your Korean name would be...Jeon Jungkook, j-just thought to add that other part. I forgot it. Sorry. But that's your name...i'm sure of it.

I'M TOTALLY NOT. STUPIDEST. EXPLANATION. EVER!!! WHAT THE HELL AM I ON?!?! Ahhhh I'm super ing dead...! This supernatural thing is gonna cast me into the ty underworld where i'll burn and get - by criminals forever...Oh well, JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL!!

I silently prayed, eyes tightly shut.

...

When I thought it was too quiet for him to be preparing to send me to the deep depths of my grave, I peeped one eye open at him.

...Hmm? What is he doing??

He was just standing there, staring at me dumbfoundedly.

Oh , did i break him? Wait...isn't that good for me??

I was just about to rejoice, but then,

"Jeon...Jungkook..."

After slightly jumping, I vigorously reassured him to save my .

YUP. THAT'S IT. THAT'S THE NAME-I MEAN YOUR NAME!! CONGRATULATIONS I HELPED YOU REMEMBER, so you won't kill me right?! I squeaked at the end.

But he was too busy rolling the name around on his tongue, that I felt like I was standing there sweating buckets for ages.

"Jeon...Jungkook...Jeon Jungkook...I..."

EEP! His final verdict!!

"I...like it..." He blushed a pretty shade of pink as he said it.

Woah, woah, woah, don't tell me it worked?!?! No ing waaay~

"...Yeah, it works...thank you, for naming me..."

O-oh, so you knew I was lying...haha awkward~

"Well yeah, you weren't exactly secretive about it. I can read your mind remember??"

Right. Well . I might as well own up to it then. Nice to meet you Kookie~!

"Kookie..?"

Well since we're already at this level of comfort because you'll be invading my privacy 24/7, I've decided to give you a nickname too! Do you like it? Are you happy?? Kookie~ Kookiiie~~!

I beamed, while pretending to poke at him in the air surrounding the mirror.

"Y-yah stop that...it's not cute at all," Kookie mumbled shyly.

I tingled with happiness. My heart was pounding like crazy, from meeting this new, unique friend.

Maybe the supernatural wasn't so scary after all...it was actually kinda cute...