First Day

Unexpected Love

Park Shin Hye's POV:

I returned to the kitchen, following the two boys. Mr. and Mrs. Lee were still standing there, talking to each other. When they saw me, they stopped talking and stared at me, waiting for an answer...

"I actually..." I started talking.

Think wisely. Think wisely. Think wisely. Think wisely. Think wisely. Think wisely. Think wisely...

"I... decided to stay here for one week. I thought about it carefully and, finally... I realized i should give it a try."

"Excellent!" Mrs. Lee said in excitement.

"You have one week, boy. Make it special." Mr. Lee said to his son, Minho, of course. Then, I saw Mrs. Lee signal something to Yong Hwa that I didn't totally get. SO, he nodded and stood to leave the kitchen. But before he could walk any step further, out of the door, I precipited to say:

"NO!" I shouted. Everybody was surrounding me with big shocked eyes on their faces. I had to say something to fix the situation, so I said:

"I mean... I should maybe get to know my (probably) future husband's step brother." I was scared and didn't know what to do.

"Perhaps later..." Mr. Lee said.

"Maybe you should just stay alone with Min Ho to work things out between you two. Right, Yong Hwa?" Mrs. Lee continued.

"Right. I can get to know her anytime, I'm always in the house." Yong Hwa replied. All I was thinking about was: Why Yong Hwa? You coul'dve fallen for me too! I'm supposed to get to know the one I'll end up with first, why am I forced to talk with Min ho?...

While I was drowning with my thoughts again, I realized I was alone in the kitchen with, umm, it's hard to say it... My stupid future husband.

"I don't think there is any reason for me to talk to you right now." he said, in a mean way again.

"Me neither. You actually saved my life right now. Let's just..."

"Seperate?" He replied.

"Yes. Seperate..."

"As you wish." he continued. But before he even got his first footstep out of the door, I remembred something and asked him:

"Why doesn't your parents marry your brother instead of you? He's probably older and more mature."

"That doesn't concern you at all."

"Please! Tell me! I have to know..."

"Why do you have to know about this that much? What? Do you like him?" he screamed at my face. I just stood there straing at him, not giving him an answer, forcing myself not to tear up in front of him.

"You... do..." he guessed. Now, there is no possibe exsisting way i could hide it from him. No way.

"If you insist on knowing, I'll tell you... He has a girlfriend, and he loves her very much. That's why he doesn't want to marry someone who no one will ever even like!"  he screamed again and walked out, closing the door harshly behind him. I couldn't hold it any longer, and, I started tearing up...

Dinner Time,

Silence dominated the room. Each person was just (barely) eating without saying a word.

"Mrs. Lee, you aren't touching your plate." I asked her.

"Well..." she said, but couldn't speak any other word...

"Your wedding day is going to be on the day of your birthday... 18th of February..." Mr. Lee spoke instead.

"What?" I was shocked. How could everybody do this to me?

"We're sorry, we couldn't find any other day to rent the place. We know it's hard for you to marry someone you don't like on the day of your birthday." Mrs. Lee confessed.

"Mrs. Lee, you don't have to do a real wedding. We'll just sign papers." I insisted.

"We don't want you to have a "signing papers" first wedding. Your first wedding should be wonderful, with flowers, fireworks..." she replied.

"What do you mean by "first" wedding?" I asked her.

She smiled widely and confessed again:

"What I mean is that the truth is that you're going to divorce him after one year of marriage."

"Mrs. Lee, that means a lot to me. Thanks." I thanked her. It was big relief for me.

"So there's no problem for you marrying my son on the day of your birthday?"

"No, it's okay..." I told her.

"So you officialy agree to marry him?" she said excitedly.

"I guess I have to since you already rented the place..."

She stood from her seat and hugged me tightly. I couldn't do anything else but hug her back and give her a forced smile... When Iwas done with my dinner, I went outside to smell some fresh air.

"Hi, i guess..." someone from behind me said. And somehow I guessed who it was.

"Hey, Yong Hwa. Can I call you Yong hwa?"

"No, you can't. You can call me Oppa." he replied. My cheeks were getting absolutely hotter...

"Oh, okay... Oppa."

"Since we're here, why don't you tell me a bit about yourself."

"Well, I don't know my father's surname since he left us when I was 2. That's why I have my mother's surname, which is "Park". I like ice cream, specially the strawberry flavor. I... don't know what to say next. How about you?"

"I don't know my father either. He left my mother when I was young too. So, she came here to Seoul and married Min Ho's biological father."

"Where did you live before?"

"I grew up in Busan. It's far away from here, I know..."

"I see... tell me about your girlfriend."

"Girlfriend? What are you talking about?"

"Min Ho said your parents marry him instead of you because you have a girlfriend."

"He said so? He must be lying..."

"Really? Why would he do that?"

"I don't know... The actual reason behind my parents marrying him instead of me is because he believes he'll never find his true love... Unlike me, I have big hope."

"Just like..."

"Just like what?"

I used to be.