25 Minutes Too Late

25 Minutes Too Late

Chapter 2

 

As the taxi speed away to St. Mary, Yuri glanced at her watch & bit her lips to prevent herself from yelling at the cab driver to hurry up. She only had eight minutes before Yunho was going to promise himself to another woman. She leaned her head back on the seat & took in a deep breath.

 

She felt so very tired as she had rushed to the church, straight from the airport & after spending the whole night awake too, torn between pride & love. At the end, she finally gave in. It was the picture stuck on the fridge that had made her decided to win Yunho back & rushed to the airport. A picture of her & Yunho at the park, walking hand in hand. She had never noticed the light in Yunho’s brown, almond-shaped eyes when he had looked at her before. It was so full of love, adoration & warmth & something else she couldn’t name. It was as if she was a necessity in his life, the focus of his being.

 

How foolish of her to had been thinking that her attraction to Yunho was just that. An attraction. How could an attraction squeeze her heart so wrenchingly when she saw the pain in Yunho’s eyes? How could an attraction make her feel as if she was ready to take on the world to shield him from any harm? & if harm was unavoidable, she was more than willing to share the pain with him but in the end, she had been the one who had hurtled him. Sighing, Yuri squeezed her eyes shut. The fact was, she had been blind to the truth that Yunho had made her felt complete. He was her other half all along so here she was, trying to win the love of her life back. Even if it meant she had to pull Yunho back from his wedding, she had to tell Yunho how she felt first & the fact that Yunho’s marrying another girl was impossible. Yunho’s love for her can’t just be gone like that, could it? No, she couldn’t be mistaken about his love. She couldn’t afford to believe it. For believing it, would make what she was doing now worthless.

 

Yuri looked at her watch again. Three more minutes left to ruin Yunho’s wedding, “Please hurry up?” Yuri urged the cab driver.

 

The cab driver glanced at the pale young woman in the backseat. She had seemed so agitated all throughout the ride. Sympathetically, he said softly, “I will see what I can do, miss.”

 

Yuri sat back again, feeling her panic escalating. To take her mind off from fretting about time, she looked all around her. This was her first time in Chicago. A city she had never even known existed if only Yunho didn’t come here & intended to marry another girl. Trust Yunho to pick Chicago as his sanctuary, the place where he could his wound. To let a whole continent separate him from the girl who had hurtled him. A girl who had inadvertently hack her own heart & pounded on it while it was still throbbing.

 

She sighed a little. If she had never met Yunho, she would never imagine herself coming to a place like Chicago & with the purposes of ruining someone else’s wedding, no less but if she had never met Yunho, where would she be now? Probably still playing with her clay, not knowing what she had missed but fate had made her run into Yunho & for Yunho, she was prepared to do anything. Hadn’t she been so primed for the battle ahead of her that she had marched into that church? But instead of Yunho’s, it was the wrong wedding she had ruined. Feeling guilt-ridden, she pursed her lips & bobbed her head, thinking ‘Maybe I should send them an apology letter. Or a card saying I’m sorry for ruining their wedding. Maybe a card & a box of chocolate. Or.’

 

A honk woke her up from her thought. She glanced at her watch again, & grimaced, “Could you please go faster?” She asked the driver earnestly. The driver only shook his head & took a left turn, going through the park to avoid the traffic jam ahead.

 

Yuri looked around her & rolled down the window. The fall breeze brought scents of roses with it, relaxing her. On her right side, people were walking around leisurely, amidst the red leaves, actually enjoying the scenery & nice fall weather. The world outside seemed to be so peaceful with children & dogs playing chase in the park & families gathering together for picnics. The tranquil scene soothed the jagged edge of her nerves.


Until her eyes caught sight of a young couple, walking hand in hand, laughing & whispering soft words to each other. They were just getting out from a ice cream shop, sharing a cup of ice cream between them. Abruptly, the world seemed like it was staying still on its axis. Her breath hitched & her eyes felt strangely hot. Memories started to flood her mind, taking her back to the moment that had changed her life forever.

 

A/N: i'm sorry that i'm only able to update one chapter today since this morning i was so busy :(

i will see how tomorrow goes, if it goes well, i will be able to update maybe two or three chapters but if not, i will only be able to update one chapter so please be patience with me

- butt3rflyl0v3r