02.

To be a Family

-To be a Family part 2-

£§£§

 

“Mark… Mark…” Mark knows that gentle voice too well. In fact it’s the voice he loves to hear. And hearing it now, he wonders why the voice was laced with worried tone while calling his name

Mark move from his lying position

‘Wait lying position? Why am I in this position? What happened?’ Mark asks himself.  He slowly opens his eyes and the first thing he sees is the worried face of Jinyoung his dear Jinyoung, his beautiful husband, staring at him

“Thank God you’re alright.” Jinyoung said as soon as Mark opens his eyes. His worried expression turns to a relieved one

Mark blinks and then noticed that he’s lying in a couch. He slowly moves from his lying position to a sitting one

“What happened?” Mark asks as what happened earlier seems a bit blurry for him

Mark sees the relieved expression from Jinyoung turns back to a worried one. The biting of his lips didn’t get past Mar’s observation too

“You fainted…” Jinyoung simply answered

Mark blinks and he gives Jinyoung a look that seems like he can’t believe what Jinyoung said. But seeing the worried expression of Jinyoung, Mark thought that’s what happened

‘So the reason that I woke up on the couch was because of that.’ Mark said to himself. Mark also realized the term that Jinyoung used.

“Baby, a man doesn’t faint. Passing out is the term” Mark corrected Jinyoung. Well passing out sounds better than fainting. Fainting is for girls.

“Anyway, baby, I can’t remember what happened much. Why did I fainte-“Mark paused for a second before continuing. “I mean why did I pass out? All I remember was hearing that you’re pregnant. Maybe I’ve watched too much movies that I’m starting to hear things.” Mark said with a laugh.

But Jinyoung didn’t laugh with him and instead he looks even more worried.

“Actually Mr., Tuan, you weren’t hearing things. Your husband is indeed pregnant.”

Mark stop laughing and then looks at the doctor, who suddenly materialized beside Jinyoung, well actually, the doctor was there since the start, he was actually the one who move Mark from the floor to the couch after he fainted and Mark just didn’t noticed him, he was too focused on Jinyoung, more on suffered a Jinyoung tunnel vision when he woke up.

With the doctor’s confirmation, Mark then remembers everything. He fainted he passed out when he confirmed to Jinyoung if he’s really pregnant or not.

“Baby…” Mark calls Jinyoung realizing his behavior earlier.

But Jinyoung looks away and Mark starts feeling guilty on how he acted towards the situation.

“Doc, is there anything we need to remember with my situation?” Jinyoung then asks.

The doctor looks at Jinyoung and nods at him.  He made a gesture for Jinyoung and Mark to the direction of his table where he could explain the things they needed to know about Jinyoung’s pregnancy.

Jinyoung and Mark follows and when they are sitting comfortable on the chair across the doctor, he starts telling them things they need to remember regarding Jinyoung’s condition.

- - -

After a while the doctor finished telling them all the things they need to know.

“That’s all. Just make sure to remember everything I’ve said and make sure not to fail attending your check up.” The doctor said.

Mark and Jinyoung nods and together they stood up and prepares to leave the office. When they reached the door, the doctor calls for Mark which made Mark and Jinyoung too stopped on their tracks.

“Just a few things to your husband, Jinyoung.” The doctor said with a smile.

Jinyoung nods and continue leaving the office. Mark stares at his Jinyoung’s back until he can’t see him anymore.

And when Jinyoung’s out of sight Mark looks at the doctor.

“Jinyoung’s condition is just like any normal pregnant person. He shouldn’t get stress and most of all don’t upset him. It’ll affect the baby too.” The doctor said.

Mark nods.

“Thank you. I’ll remember that.” Mark said and then bows at the doctor a little before leaving the doctor’s office.

- - -

Mark found Jinyoung waiting for him outside the doctor’s office on the side.

Mark’s smiling at Jinyoung as he made his way towards him Jinyoung didn’t return the smile but he nods at Mark.

“Let’s buy those vitamins that doc prescribed and nutritious food that you need.” Mark said and Jinyoung just nods at him.

Mark knew that he upset Jinyoung and he’s planning on making up to him. He holds Jinyoung’s hand, interlacing their fingers and he’s glad that Jinyoung let him do that.

Slowly, they bought all the necessary things that Jinyoung needs on his pregnancy.

After an hour, Mark and Jinyoung are inside Mark’s car and on their way back home.

Mark’s driving while Jinyoung busied himself looking at the window. Silence reign between them. Mark sighs and tries to focus on his driving. He hates it when he Jinyoung’s upset and he hates it more when he knows he’s the reason why Jinyoung’s upset.

‘It’s your fault for bursting out like that earlier.’ Mark scolds himself for the way he reacted on things earlier.

He sighs and continues to drive towards the direction of their house.

  • - - -

He’s Mark Tuan, 23 years old and 3 months ago he finally got married to the beautiful person sitting on his passenger seat namely Park Jinyoung, His beloved husband.

Mark smiled as he remembers how his life changed when he met Jinyoung.

Mark arrived in Korea back when he was 20 years old. He was an exchange student from L.A. He received a scholarship to continue his studies in Korea. Mark knows that studying and living away from his family will be hard but he accepted the scholarship along with studying abroad. It’ll be an experience for him not to mention it’ll save his family a great amount of money, not that his family aren’t well off, because it was the exact opposite. He could also use the money for other important things for that scholarship he received.

And so Mark left his family to live and study in Korea for the next 3 years.

When Mark arrived in Korea, he met his fellow foreign exchange students who are sharing the same scholarship program that he’s in. One of them also becomes his roommate. Someone from Hong Kong who gave Mark a headache because he just wouldn’t stop talking and Mark’s the exact opposite of him.

Despite the differences Mark and the exchange student from Hong Kong became the best of friends.

For the first 3 months Mark and the rest of the exchange students adjust to their new life. They have to adjust to the new environment, new culture that they need to learn and understand and most of all adjusting to the fact that their families are living far away from them.

Mark endures it all. He needs to be strong because he knows that all of his sacrifices will be worth as soon as he graduates. Whenever he talks to his family he always shows how happy he is studying abroad. He can’t show them how much he miss them or they’ll think that he’s suffering and might ask him to just study back home.

Mark is a strong guy. He cries, yes, but you wouldn’t hear and see him do it. He tends to keep everything inside. Unlike his best friend who always says what he wants to say and mostly things he didn’t even think twice about.

But no matter how strong he is, there was a time that Mark reached his breaking point. The time that he thought everything’s falling apart. He badly misses his family and he nearly thought of giving up and that’s when he met Jinyoung.

There was a lake behind their university and there’s an old tree near it. Students rarely visit the place thus it become Mark’s favorite place.

He likes the peaceful ambiance that the place provides. It makes him feel calm. It’s a place where he could think over important things, a place where he goes into when he need to make a big decision.  The place also gave him the silence he needs when he’s sketching/ drafting his school projects and assignment. It was also the place where he could drop his guard down and let the tears fall from his eyes whenever he had too much. In other word the place is his safe haven.

And it was one of those days when Mark was feeling crap and felt like he wants to give up and just go home when he suddenly heard a noise from the other side of the tree.

“Who’s there?” Show yourself?”

Mark calls out and it dint take long when the one who made the noise came out in Mark’s sight.

It was a guy, probably younger than him. The guy’s physical features are undeniably good but the thing that struck Mark’s the most was how he’s looking at him.

Mark quickly wipes away his tears, trying to erase the evidence of his weakness but the guy in front of him just gave him an apologetic look.  The guy said he was searching for a quiet place and found the lake and the tree. He was there first and when he arrived and starts pouring his heart and pain out in the open, the guy couldn’t move, afraid to disturb him.

The guy apologized for accidentally eavesdropping on his private time and Mark could only stare at him. He didn’t know what to do, it’s not every day he breaks down let alone a stranger hears him too.

With no response coming from Mark, the guy starts leaving the place, giving Mark the privacy he needs but before he left he said something that made Mark feel better though the guy didn’t know how it really touched Mark.

“It’s okay to cry. It’s better to do it actually, Crying doesn’t mean you’re weak, it actually the opposite. Because letting it out means you’re strong enough to admit that you’re in pain...Be strong, you’re not alone, and you’re not the only one feeling that way…”

The guy bowed to him a little, and gave him a smile, aside from the word that touched Mark so deep, the smile that he received was so bright. It was full of hope, and cheering him up.

Mark saw the crinkles that appear beside the guy’s eyes when he smiled. And he finds it really endearing. And as he looks at him, it was then that he noticed that the person who just gave him encouragement looks like he cried too.

Mark couldn’t believe it, he was in deep thought thinking the guy’s words that’s why when he finally get back to his senses, the guy was gone.

  • - - -

After that, Mark who’s not really interested in other people starts looking for that guy. He’s at the university’s premises so it means that he’s a student and that gave Mark hope that the guy is within reach.

Mark keeps on searching but being the shy and quiet person that he is, he finds it hard to look for the guy. He didn’t even know why he’s looking for him but he knows that he wants to at least say thank you to him. The guy made him feel better and his words really touched him.

For days, Mark keep on searching for the guy. Mark nearly resulted on asking his Hong Kong native friend to help him because his best friend is a social butterfly and he knows most of the students there, it doesn’t matter if he’s an exchange student, his Chinese friend’s social skills is one of the best.

It was one afternoon when Mark wanted to relax himself that he goes to his safe haven and to his surprise he found the person he’s been searching.

The guy upon seeing him starts retreating, thinking that Mark needs his privacy but to the guy’s surprise and even Mark himself was surprised when he asked the guy to stay.

The guy gave him a smile and Mark seeing the same bright smile, the crinkles on his eyes starts feeling more relaxed. He didn’t know why but the guy radiates a very comforting aura. He shines like a sun, bright and warm and Mark decided that he likes it.

Mark was never the first person to open a conversation. He’s that quiet but with the guy sitting beside him, he then starts talking.

He thanked him for his words and the guy smiled even brighter knowing that he managed to help him.

They guy replies and Mark found out that the guy’s name is Park Jinyoung.  He likes the name, he like how it rolled on his tongue. Mark found out that Jinyoung is also a scholar from Busan. He’s a year younger than him and just like him, he’s living far away from his family, thus the reason why he said those words to Mark. He’s in the same situation as him.

Jinyoung understands and Mark likes that fact.

Mark didn’t know what Jinyoung has but with him, he didn’t find it difficult to open up. Maybe it was the comforting aura, his gentle nature, his bright smile or his understanding eyes that  shows that it’s okay to feel weak sometimes, that he understand and that he’ll be there for him.

Jinyoung is talkative. Jinyoung loves to talk and Mark didn’t know if he’s just being bias because he prefers Jinyoung’s stories rather than his Chinese friend’s stories. He could listen to him for hours and not get bored.

As Mark and Jinyoung became friends, they start spending time with each other and starts getting closer.

Mark didn’t know when or how but somewhere along those times his feelings for Jinyoung goes beyond friendship. He didn’t know if it’s Jinyoung’s natural caring self, the bright smile that his lips is always ready to give, that crinkles on his eyes that he loves seeing or the beautiful face that really makes Mark’s day every time he sees him not to mention it’s also the same face he keeps on dreaming about.

Jinyoung was there when he needed someone, someone who understands, sure his Chinese friend was there too but he’s got this unexplainable connection with Jinyoung.

Jinyoung smells like home, he honestly feels at home with him.

Jinyoung exactly knows when he needs space, when he needs a comforting hand; He doesn’t force him to talk and just waits for him when he’s ready to talk. Honestly, Jinyoung’s presence is enough to calm him and that’s how Jinyoung became so relevant in his life.

And because of that, even though Mark didn’t know when it happened exactly, Mark admitted to himself that Jinyoung is important in his life and he just found himself waking up one day and admitting to himself that he’s in love with Park Jinyoung.

Mark was afraid to admit his feelings. He actually didn’t know how to confess to him. He’s so afraid that he might get rejected or worst Jinyoung stop being his friend once he found out his feelings for him.

Mark maybe used in keeping how what he feels inside but his feelings for Jinyoung is surely hard to keep. He can’t pretend that Jinyoung is just a friend when all he thinks about is how he wanted to hold him and show how much he loves him. And so when he couldn’t take it anymore, he musters up his courage and confessed.

Mark confessed to Jinyoung one afternoon at the place where they first met. Mark didn’t know why but Jinyoung looks nervous too. And so when he told Jinyoung that he’d tell him something that might break their friendship, Jinyoung stares at him in shock, eyes wide and he could see that tears starts to gather from the corner of his eyes.

And so when Mark confesses, telling Jinyoung that he’s in love with him. He was surprised when Jinyoung suddenly cries.

Mark didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know why Jinyoung is crying and it pains him to see him in that state. He’s worried but seconds later Mark was startled when Jinyoung launched himself to him, hugging him like there’s no tomorrow.

He was confused but when Jinyoung whispers something, Mark nearly cried upon hearing it.

“I’m in love with you too.”

Mark hugs Jinyoung in return upon hearing those words. Mark’s heart nearly burst out in happiness knowing that the first person he fell in love with return his feelings.

Apparently the reason why Jinyoung looks nervous and ready to cry was because he thought Mark found out about his feelings for him and that he’s ending their friendship and that thought hurts Jinyoung but when Mark confessed that he’s in love with him. Jinyoung couldn’t help but to cry in happiness, too overwhelmed with mark’s confession. Jinyoung was just so happy. 

After getting into a relationship, Jinyoung and Mark become more inseparable. His Chinese friend whined that Mark’s ditching him, his friend being dramatic as usual, and Mark and Jinyoung just laughed it off.

Jinyoung’s other friends are fine with their relationship until he met Jinyoung’s best friend. Jinyoung’s best friend acted like he’s Jinyoung’s father. Interrogating him and all and threatened to kill him if he dares to hurt Jinyoung.

Jinyoung apologized later for his best friend’s behavior telling him that he and his best friend met in a summer camp back when they were still in junior high and though they live far away from each other and studies in different school they never lost contact. They got reunited when they both entered the same university. Jinyoung also mentioned that his best friend was a bit protective over him. Mark just nods in understanding.

They introduced each other to their families, of course. Mark introduced Jinyoung to his parents his sisters and his brother. It was a surprised to Mark’s parents when he told them he’s got a boyfriend but upon meeting Jinyoung via skype, and seeing how Mark looks at Jinyoung, they know how deep mark feel for the other, and they could see that Jinyoung feels the same.

One semestral break, Jinyoung had taken Mark all the way to Busan to meet his parents and his sisters. Jinyoung’s sisters are very kind and sweet and they adore instantly adore Mark. He was actually surprised that they welcomed him almost immediately unlike Jinyoung’s best friend. Jinyoung’s family said that they trust Jinyoung’s every decision and love him that they’d accept and love the person that Jinyoung loves.

Jinyoung’s parents only asks Mark to take good care of Jinyoung and never hurt him which Mark of course promise with all his heart.

Years passed and Mark and Jinyoung’s relationship get stronger. Of course there had been arguments that they couldn’t avoid but in the end they manage to solve the problem and learn from their mistakes and add it as an experience to their relationship.

- - -

One of the things that tested their relationship was when Mark graduated. Him, graduating means he needs to go back home, It was painful, being separated. It’s going to be a long distance relationship for them, with Jinyoung having one more year in university and Mark going back home to spend time with his family.

Mark promised to return and Jinyoung’s best friend of course never failed to remind him of that.

“You better come back or else I’ll hunt you down…”

Mark and Jinyoung experienced a long distance relationship. It was hard. With Jinyoung busy on his last year in college and Mark busy with his job back home. He applied for a job to gain experience.

Months passed and the two adjusted on their long distance relationship.  They do their best to do anything to not to let their communication be broken.

Time flies and Jinyoung finally graduates.

Mark clearly remembers how Jinyoung cried over his graduation. One because he graduated on top of his class and second because he thought that Mark would never made it to his graduation and third because of something Mark did.

Months before Jinyoung’s graduation Mark and Jinyoung lost connection, with their busy schedule and time difference, they barely catch up with each other.

Mark’s flight got delayed and so Jinyoung thought that he wouldn’t be able to make it. But to the last minute he arrived and Jinyoung cried in relief not to mention they really do miss each other. He was also surprised to see that Mark’s not alone. Mark is with his family.

A quick hug and kiss and Mark watch as his dear Jinyoung joins his fellow graduates on their graduation march.

It was later that night that Jinyoung finally know the reason why Mark’s whole family came with him.

Mark had taken Jinyoung back to the place where they first met each other, the place where they confessed their love for each other, shares their hugs and kisses and also the same place where Mark asks Jinyoung to marry him.

“Baby, I want to spend the rest of my life with you”

During that one year of being separated with each other, Mark thought a lot of things. The first month was the crucial, even though he and Jinyoung continue to send emails with each other and call each other, the emptiness in his heart is unbearable.

And during those times Mark realized that he can’t live without Jinyoung. And so talking about his parents about his plan, he told them that he wants to live in Korea and spend the rest of his life with Jinyoung.

Jinyoung doesn’t just smell like home now, doesn’t just feels like home for him because mark have realized that Jinyoung is his home and he’s going to be wherever his home is.

His family understand him and supports him, they were a bit sad since he’s gonna have to live far away from them once again but they know how much Mark love and needs Jinyoung and so they gave him their blessing.

Mark is ready to spend his life with Jinyoung.

Jinyoung accepted Mark’s proposal and they got engaged.

Mark thought that he’s a bit selfish for asking Jinyoung to marry him just after his graduation but he just can’t help it. Jinyoung didn’t complain either, in fact the only one who complained about it was Jinyoung’s best friend but Mark ignores him. For years, he learned to accept how protective Jinyoung’s best friend can be.

- - -

With Jinyoung’s perfect student record and high grades he’s got an immediate job offer waiting for him as an instructor of the same university. Jinyoung wants to teach while Mark got hired on a prestigious architectural firm.

6 months after, Mark and Jinyoung finally got married. It was a simple wedding with their families and close friends as their attendees.

And for the following months he and Jinyoung finally start living together as partners for life.

- - --

Mark stops the car in front of their house. He looks at Jinyoung’s direction.

“Baby we’re home.” Mark said but no response came from Jinyoung. Mark took off his seat belt and leans over Jinyoung’s direction only to notice that his Jinyoung had fallen asleep.

Mark smiled. They said that pregnant people tends to be sleepy most of the time. And he could see that Jinyoung’s starting to be like that.

He gets out of the car and went over the other side. He carefully opens the car on Jinyoung’s side, take off Jinyoung’s seat belt and then he stares at his husband’s sleeping face for a second before gathering him on his arms, careful not to wake him up.

Jinyoung stirs on his sleep just after Mark close the door of his car. But to his surprised Jinyoung didn’t wake up instead he gets comfortable in Mark’s arms, seeking for more of the familiar warmth.

Mark managed to open the door of their house and gets inside with Jinyoung in his arms. He walked towards the direction of the couch and carefully laid his husband on it. He went to their bedroom to get a pillow and a blanket and then carefully put the pillow under Jinyoung’s head and cover Jinyoung with the blanket.

Mark then kneels beside Jinyoung and then watches him as he sleeps. Seeing the peaceful expression of his husband Mark couldn’t help to be mesmerized by it. A stray hair falls on Jinyoung’s face and Mark carefully removes the stray hair on Jinyoung’s face, his fingers can’t help but to gently trace Jinyoung’s face.

He knows that he acted like a jerk earlier, behaving like that and he know that he had hurt Jinyoung in the process and Mark really wanted to punch himself for being an idiot for acting like that. He was surprised well shocked actually but he should’ve think of Jinyoung’s feelings more, after all he’s the one carrying another life inside him. The news must’ve been more shocking for him.

Mark sighs. He can’t believe that he just hurt his beloved like that when he swore never to do it.

He was of course shocked by the fact that his Jinyoung is pregnant, that soon they are going to be parents. He can’t believe it but then he’s not against it. In fact thinking more about it, he starts feeling excited about it. He can easily imagine mini Jinyoung or maybe a mini of himself running around their house and he certainly loves that one.

Mark looks at the still flat stomach of Jinyoung and he  put his hand over it and he can’t help but to smile as he thinks that another life is inside it.

His parents would definitely be thrill as soon as he breaks the news to them. They love Jinyoung so much and knowing that Jinyoung’s carrying his baby inside him they would definitely be excited for it. He even bet that his Dad and Mom would book an immediate flight to Korea to see them.

“I’m sorry for being such an idiot baby. I promise I’ll make it up to you.” Mark whispers.

Jinyoung stirs again but didn’t wake up. He moves a little and continues to sleep.

Mark then leans over and kiss Jinyoung’s forehead.

“Sweet dreams baby.” Mark whispers and then arranges the blanket covering Jinyoung, carefully setting his body so that he won’t fall off from the couch when he moves before he starts walking back to the car to get the things they bought earlier.

Mark promised that when Jinyoung wakes up. He’ll talk to him and apologized for his idiotic behavior earlier.  

 

-To be Cont.-

£§£§

A/N: uh… I’m not really sure about this update... haha. The story should be just a drabble ending on Mark finding out Jinyoung’s pregnant but oh well the plot’s so cute that it makes me want to continue this one. I’d been thinking if I should post it in one go and finish it, since I really prefer long one shots but err it got longer while writing their introduction and their background so here’s part two. This won’t be long well the chapters I mean, probably another 2-3 more? I’m not really sure. ^^ But thank you for taking time reading and commenting and subscribing to the story. Your comments are definitely appreciated. How was it?

//unedited so… pls. ignore the misspelled words or grammatical errors. *huggles

Ps. Happy Birthday Mark Yi-en Tuan. Happy Birthday dear Tuna!