June 17, 2004

June 17, 2014

**Jeongmin and Hyunseong are in middle school**

 

----

 

 

Sweat rolled down their backs as the two hastily hacked at the soil with their gardening shovels. Jeongmin and Hyunseong were under the school’s biggest oak tree (their usual hangout location) burying a time capsule to store their memories as best friends, in which they would reopen in ten years.

"Will this be deep enough?" Jeongmin asked as he set down the dirty shovel and gestured towards the hole he and Hyunseong had just created.

Hyunseong narrowed his eyes as he examined the hole and experimentally placed the box inside to check. "It looks fine. Are you ready?" Hyunseong responded.

Jeongmin made a hesitant face and hurriedly grabbed his letter from his back pocket, rereading it for the millionth time.

 

 

Dear Hyunseong,

 

Even though we only met a year ago, it feels as if we've known each other our whole lives. I'm very fortunate to have someone like you by my side at all times to share my memories with, and be the brother I always longed for. Like this tree, our friendship is strong and everlasting. It may one day grow old and die, but that won’t change the many years of history behind it. I can’t imagine what my life would be like without you, and to be honest I don’t even want to think of it. But I know I won’t have to—we’ll always be by each others’ sides, right?

 

Love, Jeongmin

 

 

Jeongmin nodded to himself and carefully folded the letter, placing it delicately on top of Hyunseong's in the box. They filled the remainder with various trinkets connected to the memories they had made in the past year: pictures, friendship bracelets, concert tickets, and a compilation CD of duets they had made. Though the two were only in middle school at the time, they each had quite a talent for music. Jeongmin had always dreamed of becoming a singer; music was very therapeutic to him as he felt like he could always pour his emotions into it. On the other hand, Hyunseong wanted to open up his own bakery and live a simple life. The two knew that they would eventually go down different career paths, but they were sure that they would always remain as friends.

After fitting the lid onto the top of the box, Hyunseong placed it in the hole and the two covered it up with soil. "Are we even going to remember this in ten years?" Hyunseong asked with a twang of amusement.

"Probably not," Jeongmin replied, shrugging. The two chuckled.

"Ahhh it's sooo hot!!" Jeongmin whined. "Seongie, let's get ice cream!"

"Ok, ok, but you're paying this time. I spoil you too much," Hyunseong replied in a serious tone, trying his best to hide his laughter at Jeongmin's pouting face.

"Fiiine," the younger said dramatically. He grabbed the elder's hand and dragged him to his feet. The two walked off hand in hand to find the nearest ice cream stand, enjoying each other’s company.

June 17, 2014 ~ I’ll definitely remember!! Jeongmin thought to himself.

Ten years...Hyunseong looked at Jeongmin, who was fanning himself dramatically. He smiled. No matter what, I’ll be sure to be there.

 

-----

This is a short chapter O.O I promise the ones in the future will be longer! In case it's unclear, the date that the two are going to reopen the time capsule is June 17, 2014, hence the title of the story. The next chapter should be up by next week, so stay tuned! Have a nice day ^^