Two - Fastlane

Same Sky

Hi y'all, sorry it took a century for me to update. You know, lack of motivation because of, you know. Haha! I have to warn you on this update, though. It's gonna be angsty, and if you still haven't moved on with, you know (JUST LIKE ME, YES, I SHAMELESSLY ADMIT), well, let us all go emo together and wish for them to bring back even just their beautiful friendship, yes? Haha! Enjoy....? :))) Special thanks to paepohonto-nim for the beta! :3

 

 

CHAPTER TWO

 

 

Five pairs of eyes stared at Sungmin as he tasted the Omurice; four were pleading, while the remaining pair was hopeful. It made him restless. As much as he was used to such attention from these creatures, the situation was of course, uncomfortable. He didn’t know if he should be honest or not because the Omurice was, well, expectedly not nice.

 

The rice was badly cooked and the egg was too salty. Even the first small bite made him cringe. He couldn’t finish it, yet the thought of Kyuhyun exerting effort in making it for him made him hesitant despite the hurt he was feeling towards the other.

 

He glanced at their babies who were kneeling on the floor, with their tongue out and their tail tapping the tiled floor impatiently. Tinky Winky, being the noisiest among them, was the one making whining sounds. He just knew his Mommy Sungmin couldn’t resist his whines. Should he just give the food to the dogs? Then again, he was sure they wouldn’t like it either, and he didn’t want them getting poisoned. It was that way, of course; it was not because he didn’t want to see Kyuhyun’s disappointed face once he does that. No, definitely not.

 

A tray on the other side of their glass table caught his attention. There perched a red woven mat, a small white vase with a stem of red rose in it, and a spoon atop a folded tissue. Judging from the arrangement, Kyuhyun had attempted a breakfast in bed surprise for him, but Lala woke him up and ruined Kyuhyun’s plan. Good girl.

 

“Uhm,” he cleared his throat. He swore he just saw Kyuhyun’s ears twitch like the way their dogs do when he speaks. Realizing he still can’t look at his boyfriend, he slowly let his gaze fall at the almost untouched food on his plate. I should be honest… he chanted mentally. He wanted to be harsh so he could let Kyuhyun feel even just a tiny amount of pain he had last night.

 

“Don’t cook in my kitchen again.” Funnily, he said it in his softest voice, as if he was merely teasing. He was supposed to say, ‘Your food tasted like garbage that I want to throw up,’ and other insults. Maybe it was because he had accidentally took a quick glance at Kyuhyun’s teary eyes that was why he forgot being harsh.

 

“Min…” Kyuhyun sighed. He was not even disappointed Sungmin didn’t like what he cooked. Hell, he had expected a much worse reaction than that.

 

Even so, Sungmin decided he would play hard-to-get, especially when he saw Kyuhyun stand up and walk towards him. He, too, pushed himself away from the table and rose, already making his way out of the dining area—away from Kyuhyun. “You feed the kids.” They see the dogs not as pets, but as their own children.

 

But Kyuhyun’s long legs gave the younger an advantage as he was able to catch his blond lover by the arm. “Min… Min, I’m so sorry…” the veterinarian pleaded. He was close to tears, as well as Sungmin. Misunderstandings between them became frequent recently, and they wanted them to stop. They should have been progressing over the years, not like this.

 

“Sungmin, I’ll make it up to you, I promise.”

 

There goes Kyuhyun’s promise again. How many promises would have to be broken yet again? How many times did he say he will make up for his mistakes? Kyuhyun had been that way ever since they entered this complicated relationship. He was not confident anymore that Kyuhyun would change. He had given the younger tons of chances, yet he still kept on hurting him.

 

What would Kyuhyun’s promise be now? Take him to a very romantic and expensive dinner? Go on a cruise? He had never done it because he was always busy in his freaking pet clinic.

 

“How?” Sungmin hissed, glaring at Kyuhyun, who was a bit stunned at his reaction. It was too late for Sungmin to feel guilty and sorry for snapping up, so he just continued the act.

 

Sungmin was not a saint; he, too, admitted he had disappointed Kyuhyun in his own ways. But the difference between them was that Sungmin is a man of his word. He never forgets special days, and he never forgets his promises. Whenever there were certain circumstances that he could not fulfill his promise, he had always made up for it. Apparently, for Kyuhyun, promises are meant to be broken, and cuts were never mended.

 

“We’ll go to my vacation house at Mokpo. You love it there, right?” Then again, Cho Kyuhyun knew what buttons to press. Kyuhyun knew Sungmin fell in love at first sight at the place as he was an enthusiast of nature—his favorite subject in his photographs would always be nature. It immediately became his favorite place, and that house was the reason why they decided living in an apartment in Seoul. They plan on settling in Mokpo after retiring. When was the last time they went there, two years ago, perhaps?

 

The thought of just lying on the recliner on Kyuhyun’s veranda, savoring the fresh wind coming from the seas, almost made him sigh. He would love to take a break from all the stress and pollution in the city. But when will this take place? Of course Dr. Cho Kyuhyun was very busy, unless he will have to go there alone. He will punch Kyuhyun if that will happen.

 

“When?” he knew his voice kind of showed a little bit of excitement. Kyuhyun seemed to notice it for the bastard had the nerve to smirk. If nature was the first on his weakness list, then Kyuhyun’s smirk followed.

 

“Today.”

 

Now that shocked him.

 

 

~0~

 

 

Kyuhyun was serious. In fact, their stuff was packed. The cunning bastard had everything done while Sungmin was sleeping and because the blond was a heavy sleeper—not to mention exhausted from crying—he did not hear and feel a single damn thing.

 

Even though this was an unplanned trip, Kyuhyun, being the organized man he was, had already arranged for his temporary replacement in the clinic and had already pestered Siwon to watch over the dogs. They usually bring them along during out-of-town trips, but Kyuhyun wanted to be alone with Sungmin.

 

Choi Siwon’s house, no scratch that, mansion was located in the village about ten streets away from their apartment. The couple could entrust their precious big babies only to Sungmin’s best friend, Siwon. Sungmin had known him in college, actually, before he met Kyuhyun. They had tried dating once, but realized they would only work out as best of friends and they have happily remained that way.

 

Aside from the wide backyard in the mansion, another reason why they chose Siwon to keep the dogs was his lover, Jongwoon. The man was an animal lover and their babies were fond of him because of his silly antics towards them. In front of human beings, though, Jongwoon was a very silent and mysterious man; the total opposite of Siwon. The raven-haired has this dark aura that frightened Sungmin the first time he met the older because of his pointy eyes. It was as if Jongwoon was plotting for his death whenever he stared at Sungmin. But he was not that bad at all. He complemented Siwon’s bright personality well, and the man was nice to Sungmin and Kyuhyun. He’s very attractive, too.

 

“Oh, hyung, make sure to lock Lala when she’s in heat. She’ll kill those three.” Kyuhyun added to his list of reminders to Siwon. Their only girl will soon be reaching her heat period again, and they still don’t want her getting knocked up by any boy, just because she’s still their baby girl. Plus, they still don’t like the idea of being grandparents.

 

“Alright, alright, Pops, you two should go now. Travel to Mokpo by car is no joke. Shoo.” Siwon jokingly said while pushing the worried parents away. Jongwoon was in the backyard distracting the four from running after their daddy and mommy.

 

“One more thing, hyung! Always make sure they pray before eating. You know the drill.” One good thing about Siwon was him being religious. He had helped a lot in training the dogs on grace before meals.

 

After a few more reminders from Kyuhyun and continuous ‘yes’ from Siwon, the couple had finally settled inside Kyuhyun’s SUV and began driving to Mokpo.

 

They left the Choi castle—like how Kyuhyun calls it—before nine in the morning. If they won’t get caught in traffic, they would reach Mokpo before the sun sets, hopefully. They could still take a rest for a bit before Kyuhyun executes his plan for the night.

 

Since it’s a Thursday, he planned a long weekend vacation. The two of them had been too focused on work so he thought it was time for them to have a break and spend days together. He will make sure nothing would ruin this vacation… and their relationship.

 

Sungmin sat outside the café while Kyuhyun took their orders inside. It was their second stopover and he noticed Kyuhyun getting drowsier so he told the younger to go to a café and buy the strongest coffee. He couldn’t blame Kyuhyun, though; throughout their five-hour travel, Kyuhyun was trying to start a conversation, but Sungmin was not answering, that was why Kyuhyun gave up.

 

That made him thinking; if Kyuhyun already gave up just by talking to him, does that mean if Sungmin continued this act, Kyuhyun would also easily give up?

 

“Sungmin?” the blond almost jumped on his seat hearing Kyuhyun’s voice. He didn’t notice the man arrive and was already sitting across him. He must have spaced out judging from the worried look on his lover’s handsome face. Damn, even if Kyuhyun was stressed, he still looked stunning. “You okay?”

 

Not trusting his voice, Sungmin just nodded as he took his cup of cappuccino, still without looking at the other male. After hearing Kyuhyun sigh, no words were exchanged between them.

 

His cappuccino was too bitter.

 

 

Half an hour later, he heard the screeching of the chair stand on the cement, and he looked up to see Kyuhyun retreating from his seat. Thinking they should be going, he also moved to stand up, but a pair of strong hands on his shoulder pushed him to sit down.

 

Sungmin was about to ask Kyuhyun angrily, but the sight of a gold chain shut him up, especially when he felt cold metal on his chest and collarbones. He looked in confusion at Kyuhyun who dragged his previous seat closer to him and sat on it, his elbows propped on his knees.

 

Kyuhyun smiled at him and showed him the same gold chain on his neck where ‘성민’ was carved. Self-consciously, Sungmin reached for the one on his chest, seeing ‘규현’ on it. It brought color to his pale cheeks and it made him speechless. They were not the type to buy couple things—as for the shirts, they just use each other’s—so Sungmin was really touched Kyuhyun bought something like their necklaces.

 

His doe eyes got teary as he hugged his boyfriend so tight that it might make Kyuhyun suffocate. He was so happy. Just the simple chains made him forget his hurt towards the younger lover. Besides, he was fully aware he couldn’t stay mad at Kyuhyun for such a long time. Also, he was happier that he could see Kyuhyun’s efforts in making it up to him this time. Hope for their relationship to work was rekindled.

 

“I love you, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun whispered in his ear as he hugged the photographer as tight.

 

Sungmin sobbed lightly, making Kyuhyun pull away in their embrace. The brunet gently cupped Sungmin’s cheeks and brushed away his tears before leaning in to kiss Sungmin’s forehead.

 

There was no better feeling than this.

 

 

~0~

 

 

The remaining hours of drive to Mokpo was the best. Both of them were laughing and singing along the music playing on the car’s player. Their windows were rolled down so they could feel the fresh air. They have reached Mokpo and it would take them half an hour before they reach his vacation house. The sun was halfway up so they could still appreciate the beautiful view of the seas.

 

“Wha- hey, stop doing that! Just drive!” Sungmin yelled at the driver who just took a picture of him using his camera. He wouldn’t mind that Kyuhyun was taking pictures of him, but Kyuhyun was driving. As much as his living depends on his camera, he also didn’t want it to be the cause of his death.

 

Kyuhyun grinned as he slung the camera on his neck. “You’re too beautiful for it to be not captured.” Kyuhyun’s cheesy side was activated again. It had been too long since the man was as affectionate as that. Fights really do something good, huh.

 

He could only mumble a ‘Geez’ as he continued looking at the road.

 

The two of them being adventurous, they loved driving along curvy roads, especially the one in this place. Plus, cliffs like this held special memories to them.

 

Kyuhyun took a quick glance at his lover and admired his breathtaking side features. Sungmin looked beautiful at any angles, whether he was smiling or not. Of course Sungmin was the most beautiful when he had that bright smile formed on his perfect M-shaped lips.

 

He had disappointed Sungmin lots of times. He forgets special days, he prioritizes work over anything, and he hadn’t touched Sungmin even if Sungmin stripped in front of him one time. There was nothing wrong with his libido; he’d just learned how to control his urges towards the iest man he had seen. He didn’t want to hurt his petite lover. Plus, after everything he’d learned in med school, he decided any ual activity with a fellow man could be dangerous to their health. He’d rather relieve his urges by himself than the both of them suffering some incurable disease.

 

Sungmin was the first and only man he had ever loved. From the time he realized his love for Sungmin, he became his world. He would do anything for the man. After the happenings last night, he sincerely swore to himself he will never make Sungmin cry again. He had almost lost his beloved after ditching their anniversary celebration. He will never let go of him. They had gone through five difficult years for him to just throw it away.

 

He smiled when he saw Sungmin reaching for his necklace and rubbed his finger on the gold metal carving. He, too, held on his own necklace, feeling the carving of Sungmin’s name on it.

 

Casually, he glanced at the speedometer, but he noticed something odd.

 

 

Too fast.

 

They were too fast. He tried to step on the breaks but the red arrow was not moving down. He switched on the gears but nothing changed.

 

Kyuhyun felt his chest tighten. Everything was going so well. He steered on the wheel for a small curve.

 

. They were out of control. The afternoon sun was shining down on them, cold air slapping their faces rather harshly but the blond next to him didn't seem to care. He was enjoying this.

 

The beautiful carefree smile on his lover's face was enough for him to forget the fear embracing his heart as he drove along the curvy road leading to his villa on the seaside where he was supposed to make up with what happened last night; where they were supposed to have fun and hold one another all night.

 

Left and right. He tried glancing calmly so as not to rise suspicion from the other. Only the right side was the safe one.

 

Only one of them had to stay safe.

 

 

And that was not him.

 

 

"Min," he called his lover in a shaky voice, his effort in hiding it did him no good. Sungmin turned to him with that bright smile he fell in love with. Every time he sees that, he felt like falling in love all over again. Sungmin looks so carefree, so innocent; like an angel. This perfection of a man should not be stained with pain and heartbreak which were the only things he could give this precious man.

 

"Yes, Kyu?" That voice would be missed, if this was it; at least Kyuhyun did something to save the world from losing the most perfect person. It was too bad they were in a car. He wished he could hold him tight, pull him into an embrace and feel their hearts beat as one for even one more time.

 

He gawked at the speedometer, heart beating wildly against his chest as he felt tears gathering on his eyes, before lovingly smiling at his Sungmin.

 

“I love you.”

 

Sungmin felt his heart flutter at the random cheesy statement. He opened his mouth to say something but there was something amidst Kyuhyun especially when the younger reached for his seatbelt and pushed the buckle free. “I—” As if naturally, his gaze fell on the speedometer, and that’s when he understood Kyuhyun’s weird actions, “Kyu...”

 

Kyuhyun, knowing that Sungmin was finally aware of the situation, blurted out something he knew would make Sungmin mad at him… again, “Jump, Min.”

 

A frown marred his boyfriend’s beautiful face. “W-What?” Sungmin stared at him for he just stated the most ridiculous thing.

 

His voice turning desperate, Kyuhyun quickly shifted his gaze between the wide-eyed Sungmin and the road. “Please, Min. Please jump now while we're still here.”

 

Knowing what Kyuhyun was trying to say, Sungmin began crying and shaking his head violently. “No, Kyu, I'm not going anywhere without you!”

 

Of course, Lee Sungmin would not be Lee Sungmin if he wasn’t stubborn. Kyuhyun took Sungmin’s trembling cold hand and pressed his lips on the knuckles, his eyes still focused on the road. “It’ll be okay, I’ll follow suit.” He tried saying calmly, but no, he was not calm. His brain was in a haze and his stomach felt like it was twisting. He doesn’t even know if there’s a safer place.

 

“No, Kyu, no... bring me...” Sungmin sobbed. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. Sungmin was just enjoying the day, it hasn’t even started yet. There was so much to look forward to, and in a snap, everything was gone. He turned to look at the younger man. He just can’t leave Kyuhyun. If there’s no way out, it’s better if they die together. There would be none if there was no Kyuhyun. Even if he survives and Kyuhyun wouldn’t, Sungmin would surely die. He couldn’t imagine a life without Kyuhyun. No. Not ever.

 

“JUMP!” Kyuhyun let go of Sungmin’s hand and shouted.

 

“NO!”

 

Kyuhyun was left with no other choice. “Damn it, Lee Sungmin! Just jump! Please, just this one time, listen.” Kyuhyun knew this was it and he was avoiding anymore argument with Sungmin, but he has to save him. Sungmin, after all, was the one who saved his life. It was now the time to return the favor.

 

“NO!”

 

Biting his lip to suppress a growl, he reached out for the door on Sungmin’s side and opened it, causing for Sungmin to scream and hold on his lanky arm and the steering wheel.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun! What are you doing?!” Due to the loosening of Kyuhyun’s grip on the steering wheel, the car started swaying near the cliff edge. He tried to peel off Sungmin’s fingers on the wheel.

 

Kyuhyun straightened up and stared lovingly at Sungmin with a sad smile. “Please forgive me.” Sungmin was too drowned in Kyuhyun’s eyes that it was already too late when Kyuhyun successfully pushed him out of the car. I love you so much… I love you.

 

Sungmin’s body harshly rolled on the ground, stopping when his head had hit a rock.

 

He lied on the ground lifelessly as he watched in agony the car, where his boyfriend was in, fall off the edge of the road. At the same time, it felt as if their love had fallen.

 

As much as he didn’t want to close his eyes, his heavy lids did no help. He was shaking. He heard none.

 

“Kyu...” he called.

 

 

And his mind went blank.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED