One - Promises

Same Sky

CHAPTER ONE

 

Four two-year old golden retrievers happily ran towards their blond owner who just arrived home with their treats inside the paper bag he’s holding. The man with a beautiful smile knelt on the floor and greeted his babies who his face simultaneously, causing for him to giggle and hug them tight.

 

He lifted the camera slung on his neck to his face, and said, “Say meat!” The four dogs seemed to have smiled wider with their tongues out just as the photographer clicked on the camera. He squealed lightly after examining the picture he took.

 

“Alright, babies, because it’s your parents’ anniversary, mommy bought you very delicious food!” At this, the dogs barked while jumping enthusiastically. “But,” he added, and the dogs stopped barking. “We’ll wait for your daddy to come home first so we could eat together, okay?”

 

The blond laughed seeing the dejected faces of the pets. He loves it when they seem to understand every word he says. It was really cute.

 

 

 

Lee Sungmin and Cho Kyuhyun had been in a relationship for five years now, living together for two years. They met six years ago, when Sungmin was on his last year on college, while Kyuhyun was just halfway from graduating. It wasn't the perfect relationship. It was full of immaturity but they always seemed to meet in the middle. From the minor fights and useless banters, their love grew stronger. They easily get in an argument yet they also easily reconcile. They are still the same way until now.

 

They are total opposites. Sungmin is a ball of sunshine, while Kyuhyun is plainly dull. Sungmin is sweet, Kyuhyun is unaffectionate. Sungmin is warm, but Kyuhyun is cold. Sungmin is optimistic, Kyuhyun is pessimistic. Sungmin is a rainbow and Kyuhyun is black and white. It’s how they are. But only Sungmin could make Kyuhyun smile and laugh. And only Kyuhyun could make Sungmin blush and giggle. They may be imperfect as individuals, but as a couple, they’re a pretty good combination.

 

Even if they grew up in a conservative surrounding and what people would say about them matters, the pair didn’t really care. Sungmin is a freelance photographer while Kyuhyun is a veterinarian. Their combined income was more than enough for the two of them to survive. All was well.

 

However, being in a same relationship was very difficult for the both of them as it’s still not accepted in the country. They have so many things they have to prove just to be accepted by everyone that the stress had taken its toll on them at times. They were so fortunate to have found a basket of four poor puppies on the streets one rainy night a year ago, because those puppies grew up to be the couple’s source of happiness.

 

Today’s their 5th anniversary. It’s been five years already; Sungmin couldn’t believe it. They have lasted this long without their judgmental families’ help. But really, he wouldn’t have stayed strong if it weren’t for Kyuhyun. Even if it was frustrating that Kyuhyun wasn’t so affectionate—Kyuhyun doesn’t even touch him!—just his comforting presence next to him motivated him more to fight for them. That presence itself told Sungmin that Kyuhyun is also fighting for them.

 

Sungmin started the preparation for their romantic anniversary dinner date. He had been planning this since yesterday and he’s pretty confident—and disappointed—that Kyuhyun didn’t have anything prepared. Nevertheless, he didn’t let it ruin his mood and still strived to make this night the most memorable for the two of them.

 

It would be a candlelight dinner. It’s been long since they’ve had one. He cooked all of their favorite dishes, he arranged the place to a suitable atmosphere for the occasion, he had set up their favorite collection of classical music on the player, and he brought out their favorite wine.

 

Among the variety of wines in their shelves, this particular Cabernet Sauvignon was the pair’s favorite. Kyuhyun purchased it when he was on a medical mission in France. It was Kyuhyun’s apology gift to Sungmin for they weren’t able to celebrate their 2nd anniversary because it happened at the same week. He couldn’t be absent in the mission as it was needed for him to graduate. That wine became special to them that they both agreed on drinking it only during their anniversary.

 

He turned off the lights, allowing the cabdles to shine in the darkness. He could imagine the shocked look on Kyuhyun’s tired face, and it made him giggle thinking of  hi boyfriend's wide smile after. He loves seeing his  childish smile because it was as if his childhood wasn’t taken away from him.

 

Sungmin waited, and waited, and waited.

 

Kyuhyun usually goes home from the clinic at seven in the evening, but it’s already nine and the younger hadn’t opened the door yet. Sungmin had been waiting for three hours. He tried calling the clinic’s phone and even Kyuhyun’s own, and no one’s picking up. He should be worried that something might already have happened to Kyuhyun, but no, he’s angry. How could Kyuhyun disregard their anniversary? This is a special day for them! Kyuhyun had done it again.

 

It was always like that.

 

Kyuhyun always forgets special days, especially birthdays. Damn, Kyuhyun even forgets his own birthday. The younger said it’s because his birthday isn’t special—does that mean Sungmin’s birthday and their anniversary aren’t important, too?

 

He sighed heavily. He thought Kyuhyun could change. He had put too much faith on Kyuhyun, and look what it did to him just now. He was disappointed.

 

Soft whines pulled him out from his frustrated thoughts. Sungmin glanced down on their dogs lined up on the floor looking up at him with those big round eyes—which he still thinks they got from him, by the way. Oh, my poor babies, he thought. He forgot that the dogs were waiting for Kyuhyun as well, and this made him more furious.

 

“Let’s eat!” He stood up and grabbed the treats he bought on the way home. Carefully, he poured its contents on the four cans where ‘Tinky Winky,’ ‘Dipsy,’ ‘Lala’ and ‘Po’ were written on each. The dogs followed him and waited until he finished. The four were a short distance away from their cans, their tail wiggling in anticipation.

 

He smiled at the sight. He saw the smallest, Po, about to step towards his can, and so Sungmin lifted a hand to stop Po. “Oops, pray first.” Po stepped back and looked down the same time as his older siblings did. It was Kyuhyun who taught the dogs to pray first before eating. Because it looked fun, he did it to the dogs too when Kyuhyun was not present.

 

“Dear God, thank you for our yummy food and thank you for our mommy and daddy,” Sungmin tried hard not to cry while reciting the prayer as he felt like he could hear Kyuhyun’s voice instead of his. “Please tell daddy to not make mommy sad again…” There was a long pause.

 

He quickly wiped away the stubborn tears that fell after noticing the impatient wiggling of tails from his hungry babies. “Amen!” Sungmin backed away and the four immediately ran to their respective cans to eat happily.

 

At least their babies are happy.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun got home before midnight.

 

“Sungmin, I’m home.” he called as he opened the door and the lights. He expected his lover drooling on his laptop on the floor, but the blond was not in sight. Even their babies didn’t welcome him. The veterinarian walked to the dining room to check if he’s eating popcorn, only to find the table full of food covered in foil. Unlit candles are everywhere and rose petals are scattered on the floor.

 

Then it hit him. It was their anniversary. How could he forget it? He was too absorbed in work that he didn’t even check his phone. He didn’t even hear the clinic phone because he was busy tending to the wounded animals that were brought due to an accident. He should have remembered it after he saw twenty missed calls from his lover.

 

If he felt bad after seeing the list of missed calls, then he felt the worst after remembering he just ditched their anniversary celebration, which was prepared by Sungmin.

 

Kyuhyun found Sungmin already sleeping on their bed, his rosy cheeks stained in tears. Tinky Winky and Po were on either side of Sungmin, while Dipsy and Lala were hugging Sungmin’s legs. He could feel his heart being squeezed by the thought of his lovely hyung crying because of him... again.

 

How could he make up for this? Even if he had promised himself he wouldn’t do the same mistakes, he kept on doing it. He’s sure Sungmin wouldn’t be as forgiving as before anymore. Then again, he wouldn’t give up.

 

“I’m sorry, baby. I love you.” Kissing Sungmin’s forehead lightly, he decided he will put Sungmin on his top priority from now on.

 

 

 

Something slick and wet touched his cheeks, followed by soft paws. Sungmin smiled; his babies. He opened his eyes and Lala’s face was the first thing he saw. And his girl suddenly barked towards the door as if announcing to everyone that he is finally awake. She jumped from the bed and ran out of the room. That’s weird. The other three weren't there to wake him up.

 

The digital clock showed 7:13.

 

Unconsciously, he eyed the vacant spot beside him. Judging from the neat state of the pillow, no one used it. Plus, he couldn't remember hugging someone lanky.

 

Sure, he didn't wait for Kyuhyun but he did not tell the younger to not sleep beside him! Pfft, insensitive brat.

 

Hearing his stomach grumble, he stood up and lazily walked to the kitchen to eat the leftovers but stopped when he smelled something burning. Alarmed, he ran to where the stench came from—who the hell would burn his house this early?

 

“Why did you wake mommy up, Lala?!” he heard that familiar voice from the kitchen and a bark answered Kyuhyun’s inquiry. So he did come home. He wondered at what time. “You should wake him up after this! Aish.” After what? Exactly what was Kyuhyun doing?

 

After finally gathering the courage to face the man who unconsciously made him cry last night, he stepped towards the door, and he couldn't believe what he saw.

 

Kyuhyun’s back was facing him. Kyuhyun was wearing Sungmin’s pink lacy apron. An apron. The apron Kyuhyun dislikes because of the colour. And Kyuhyun was cooking. Yes, cooking. That one chore Kyuhyun would never do. Oh, wait, that wasn't cooking—it’s more like burning.

 

Sungmin felt like crying—because Kyuhyun was burning his kitchen. Yes, that was it, and surely not because Kyuhyun was actually cooking.

 

But no, he wouldn't cry. He knew what Kyuhyun was trying to do. Kyuhyun was trying to get on his good side because of what he had done. If it was before, he would have hugged and kissed Kyuhyun already, but this was now. The hurt he had felt last night was too much for him to forget just because Kyuhyun cooked for him.

 

And with Kyuhyun’s skills, the food will taste like garbage... or something worse.

 

He planned on turning away, but the noisy Dipsy and Tinky Winky sensed his presence and barked. He knelt to ruffle the dogs’ fur and pretended he did not notice Kyuhyun glancing at him. I will not look, he chanted continuously in his mind no matter how much he wanted to see Kyuhyun in his favorite apron.

 

“Minnie…” Kyuhyun whispered.

 

Sungmin tried maintaining a poker face as he looked back at the veterinarian, quickly noting how Kyuhyun looked so cute at the moment. “You’re burning the food.”

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened and he immediately shifted his attention back to the stove. Seeing the badly-cracked eggs on the counter, Kyuhyun must have been cooking Omurice, Sungmin’s favourite breakfast dish.

 

He stood up, and was about to make his way back to the bedroom, yet again when Kyuhyun stopped him. “Please, stay?”

 

Kyuhyun was holding a plate of badly-made Omurice (the ketchup was the only thing that’s neatly done), grinning sheepishly. Reject, reject, reject… His eyes were pleading. Sungmin knew he was sorry but... he waited.

 

"Min?"

 

He glanced at the plate once again. His babies were seated on the floor watching them as if they were some funny sitcom in the morning. Sungmin sighed.

 

On why he took the seat, he couldn't figure.

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED

 

-First chapter is up! Hahaha! Sorry if it's short! :D

-Thanks Mamee Kat for the beta!

-Hope you enjoyed it!