Friendship

A Song For A Friend

Friendship

 

Yonghwa ran in with his necktie in his hand, responding to the hi’s and bye’s that he received during his walk in to the gate. He glanced at his wrist watch and silently gloating over the fact that he managed to actually arrived within the time despite waking up late when he was greeted by Jonghyun. One of his best friend and of course the best guitarist in the school. No one can beat this guy love over his guitar.

“Still not wearing your tie hyung?”

“Nah.. I don’t know how to wear it.”

“I thought it was already tied nicely and you was supposed to just tightened it up…”

“Oh look!” Yonghwa pushed Jonghyun’s away and ran towards the group of girls chattering in front of them.

He ran and hanged his arms around her shoulder.

“Joohyun…” He cooed, pinching her chubby cheeks ignoring her group of friends.

“Hmm?” Seohyun looked at him when she saw he was waving the school necktie on her face. She pushed him away from her, she was clearly exasperate with his request.

For the observers, such reaction from the shy and composed Joohyun are one of the rare moments for them but not for Jung Yonghwa. It's a daily occurence for him.

“Oppa! I already tied it nicely for you before!”

“I know but what can I do when it just..”

“Here.” Seohyun groaned and grabbed the necktie before positioning it nicely on his collar.

“Joohyun.. we are going first.” Nicole and Hwan Hee said.

“W-wait!” Joohyun tried to protest.

“You guys can go, I will send her to her class.”

“Okay sunbae..” They waved back to both of them, ignoring Seohyun whimpering protest not wanting to be seen walking with this choding beside her. She ended up slapping his arm, earning a lot of glares from the girl freshman.

“Why, my class is just one level above you?”

“I ended up being in the most wanted list because of you.” Seohyun tightened the necktie so strongly that it’s almost strangle Yonghwa up.

“Ooouch!” He screamed, patting Seohyun’s hand to stop torturing him.

“They will get it.. they will get it that we’re bestfriend like my batch did and the people closest to us did.”

“Still, don’t follow me.” Seohyun adjusted her bag and walked away from him.

“Joohyuy! Come on now, don’t act like you’re the only one having a legion of haters. I have a group of my own too and it’s mainly because of you keep on rejecting those guys!” Yonghwa screamed watching her back fades away from the view.

For the passerby, they look like a couple in love without any care of holding back but for their friends… they knew it very well that it’s just a normal routine between those two best friend. They have been that way since they were a kid. It does seemed highly unlikely since Seohyun was always one of the top scorer in her batch and two years junior than Yonghwa who is the more outgoing type, parading around with his crooked teeth smile while the latter prefer a serene environment. Though, their approach was albeit different, the end result is always the same.

Like Seohyun is more of the quiet type, but she didn’t went around being arrogant towards the people around her. She will speak softly with a smile on her face, making her known as one of the easiest person to approach but with a drawn line. She’s like a glass. You can watch her… but you can’t exactly touch her.

But with Yonghwa, he was friendly with everyone with his snaggle tooth smile. He’s the definition of the perfect sunbae.

***

Lee Joon nudged Yonghwa’s arm teasingly when he noticed Yonghwa was staring at his new girlfriend.

“You are so busted dude.”

“Hmm?”

 “Why? Do you find your girlfriend so beautiful that you kept on eyeing her?”

“Ji Eun?” Yonghwa stopped with his reverie and looked at Lee Joon. “Why? What’s with her?”

“Then… who are you looking at?”

“Joohyun.” Yonghwa re-directed his gaze on the younger girl that was standing about 100 meter from Ji Eun.

“I don’t get you two.”

“Why won’t you?”

“I mean you are staring at her now instead of your girlfriend.”

“Oh come on! I’m just making sure that I will be there when she needs help. You know, guys back off easily if I come in the picture.”

“She really should just try dating. I mean after she actually took off her glasses..”

Yonghwa eyed Joon ready to eat him up after hearing what Joon was saying.

“I mean, she’s clearly attractive. I think you are holding her back.. you should encourage her to try  going on dates.”

“Look! The guy just won’t bug off won’t he?!” Yonghwa slammed the window angrily and ran off to Seohyun.

***

“Annyeonghaeseyo oppa.” Seohyun sat lifelessly on the empty table seat.

“Why, what’s wrong? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, just a bit tired.”

“Lunch? You’re not having one?”

Seohyun shook her head.. her face was pale, her eyebags and dark circles were evident. It’s worrying him.

“I will get you one..”

“It’s okay oppa, I’m going to say hi.. you should eat with Jonghyun oppa, Junghsin and all.. I’m going to sit with my friends then I have to go for the student association meeting.”

“Young lady, you’re not going anywhere and what’s with the friends sitting. You always sit with my friends or I will go and sit with your friends. Your friends are mostly from my year Seo Joohyun.”

“But oppa..”

“No but. You sit. When, I get back here you better be here.”

“Still..”

“Seo Joohyun. You better listen to me. It’s the least you can do.”

“I don’t have the appetite to eat oppa.”

“You are a very stubborn person you know that Joohyun?” Yonghwa put both of his hand on his waist, as he lets out a defeated sigh. “But I don’t care, you’re still going to eat. Listen..” Yonghwa cupped her cheeks and stared at her big doe brown sparkling eyes.

“Who stays beside you when you’re sad?”

“You did..”

“Can’t you do this much to me? I don’t think my heart will be at rest unless I see you eat. Just a little is more than enough Joohyun.”

“Here’s your food.. Don’t it looks delicious?!” Yonghwa clasped his hands together, faking a yummy sound.

“Very delicious.. very.” Seohyun raised her eyebrows.

“Noww.. ahh!” Yonghwa formed an ‘O’ with his mouth, trying to feed Seohyun.

“I can eat it myself oppa.” Seohyun shuts tightly, not wanting Yonghwa to feed her. “Geez, people are looking at us.”

“We always did this.. They should grow accustomed to it.”

“It seems wrong.”

“Seo Joohyun.. it’s not wrong.”

“We’re still a boy and a girl, oppa.”

“Hey.. this is nothing compared to the time that you are so scared of darkness that you asked me to sle…”

Seohyun closed his mouth with her hand and leaned on to eat the food.

“Delicious.. Very!” Seohyun claps excitedly but her eyes are throwing daggers at Yonghwa.

“Good girl..” He messed her hair up like it’s the most normal thing to do. Seohyun just stared at the floor like she was trying to penetrate it… muttering something to herself. Hiding her face from her oppa.

***

 “Jung Yonghwa!” Tiffany shouted from across the hallway, ignoring the fact that Yonghwa class was about to start.

“Yeah, what do you want from me?” Yonghwa stood up lazily from his table as he stretched his numb body parts.

“Joohyun..” She said, panted… as she walked closer to him.

“What’s with her?” Yonghwa felt his whole body tensed up.

“S-she fainted!”

It doesn’t even take a second for Yonghwa to run towards her classroom, he bumped into a few tables and students on the way but he ignored them and ran… ran to see her. Hoping nothing than the fact that she is going to be fine.

“Where’s Jung Yonghwa!?” The teacher exclaimed.

“1st year student Seo Joohyun fainted so he went to attend her.

“Oh, that explains.” She nodded understandingly. “But still, it doesn’t justify his actions. Ask him to meet me after he’s done treating Seo Joohyun student with his immerse knowledge of the medicine field.” The teacher said with a tone of sarcasm. The students burst into fits of laughter, enjoying her dry humour.

Yonghwa searched frantically for Seo Joohyun whereabout… believing that this is because of her weak body. He has known her since they were a kid, Seo Joohyun and hospital was inseperable. She can’t even run when they were little so he needed to lift her up and carried her while running to show her what running feels like. That’s how frail her body was.

“Omo.. it’s Jung Yonghwa sunbaenim..”

“Seo Joohyun?!” He saw Minho was trying to lift Seohyun up.

It ended up with Yonghwa carrying her up while Minho only carried her stuffs to the infirmary.

“Op-ppa?” Seohyun groggily rubbed her eyes, trying to open them.

“Hmm..”

“Yonghwa oppa?”

“I’m here.” Yonghwa gently her hair to reassure her.

“I’m sorry.. I didn’t mean to worry you. I didn’t mean to remind you..”

“It’s fine Joohyun.. As long as you’re fine.” Yonghwa lets out a sigh of relief. A huge amount of burden feels like it was being lift up from his back.

 “Now, I’m going to bring you home.”

It was a quiet walk home with Yonghwa being silent all the time and Seohyun sometimes glancing at Yonghwa to make sure he wasn’t mad at her.

“I’m not mad Seohyun. Can you stop staring at me like that.”

“Fine.”

“Listen… I’m just pissed off that you didn’t tell me that you’re working so hard.”

“You will lecture me to rest oppa.”

“You do realize that you have a very weak body Seo Joohyun.”

“It’s better now. I’m healthier.” Seohyun insisted. “That’s why I need to enjoy life more.”

“Fine, you win.”

Seohyun curved into a gentle smile.. She walked sideways purposely brushing with his shoulder before leaning her head towards his broad shoulder.

“Yeah, you’re my bestfriend.” Seohyun emphasized and somehow he wasn’t comfortable with her tone. It was weird… no, to be exact Seohyun is the one that was quite weird lately.

“What’s with you?”

“What’s with me?”

“Yeah, you’re being weird. It feels like you don’t want to be around me.”

“LOL, I’m normal oppa.”

“No, you’re not. You used to tail me around like a puppy.”

“Oh, that.. Geez, I’m a grown up now. You can’t expect me to be all over you. I’m saving it for my future boyfriend.”

“Hey! Do you get one without telling me?”

“I did not. By the way, I assure you everything will be back to normal when tomorrow comes. I’m just tired lately.”

“And tomorrow you won’t?”

“Oh.. look my house!” Seohyun pointed her forefinger at her house.

Yonghwa was about to say something… he felt like she was trying to evade something but he decided to shrug it off when he saw the beaming face of Mrs Seo.

“Seohyun ahh, uri daughter. Oh~ Yonghwa yaaa!”

There’s always a familiar nuance with the way Mrs. Seo calling his name. It’s like he was apart of their family.

“Omma!” He ran to hug Mrs Seo, intercepting Seohyun that was supposed to hug her mom first.

“I’m really sorry for not taking care of Joohyun.” Yonghwa quickly bowed right after the hug.

“Aigoo.. it’s fine. She’s the stubborn one here. Oh I cook your favorite food.”

“Really?!”

“Yep. Your mom said she’s going to back late because she needs to pick your brother up.”

“Oh, talking about that. Hyun, my mom ask you whether you are free tomorrow.. she wants to go shopping.”

“I’m not exactly free but I will clear it up.”

***

Seohyun ed her sweater with her phone positioned between her right cheek and her shoulder. She was ensuring that the phone won’t fall off while talking to Yonghwa.

“I don’t want to go there Hyun.” He whined.

“Why? You can always just go there and then graduate and then continue with your dream.”

“Hyun~ Idol world is not like that.”

“You said you want to be in a band. You’re not an idol.”

“Aigoo, you know FT Island right?”

“Oh, that CD you gave me?”

“I want to be in the same company with them.”

“That’s a problem..”

“So?”

“Chung Ah university… business major there is quite good you know but if it wasn’t your passion you should try to talk with your parents again.” Seohyun grabbed a pillow before sliding off her sliding door and pushed the curtain to the side before sitting down on the comfy chair on the balcony facing Yonghwa who was staying beside her house… just right next door.

“Talk with my mom won’t you? She will listen to you.”

“Oppa, it’s your future.. You should talk with her.”

“How?”

“You can always ensure her. Maybe you know, you will try three times and if you still didn’t succeed in any auditions you will stop and enroll in Chung Ah University.” Seohyun lazily supported her chin on the railing at the balcony, staring at his grinning face. Though, it’s dark… his crooked teeth smile was still evident. "Parents blessing are important but if your dream is the path that you was supposed to take then everything will work out oppa even if its only three times."

“I know it.. That’s why I love you! What can I do without you Seohyun ahh?”

After the conversation ended, Seohyun faced Yonghwa’s room as she tried to sleep, she was observing the still illuminating room of Jung Yonghwa. His shadows was seen walking around.. might be preparing for his sleep but then she saw him calling someone else. Not her for sure… might be his girlfriend, Ji Eun. She rolled over to the other side and instead saw their picture in a frame, with smiley eyes… enjoying the beach with their swimming gear on when they were kids. Her face went unreadable as she flipped the frame to the other side.

She doesn’t feel like sleeping with that thing staring at her. She might need to get rid of such picture in her room.

 

 

Author's Note

I was supposed to include another 2 scenes but then i notice that this chapter might go more than 10 pages so i stop. I will include those scenes on the next chapter instead. You might notice that the story is quite fast pace
like you could actually expand each of the scene into a chapter...but i intentionally led it to this direction because i'm going to make this as short as i could.

And oh.. this chapter wasn't supposed to be this way.. uhmm how to say it. I clearly did something. It started with a small 'clue' but then i emphasize it more as the chapter proceeds. Feel free to give your guesses below with a comment or something.