Something Gentle, Something Brave

Eight Minutes 'Til Liftoff

Rating: PG

High School AU/Slice of Life

Luna/Krystal + Yoona/Seohyun

Another High School AU! I ship Lunstal and I'm sad they stopped promoing so...

soccer/football referenced inspired by userinfo.gif?v=17080?v=118.6sparksfly7's adorable Yoonhyun fic

 


Soojung remembered watching the older girls play with each other at the park by the lake. She was four and they were six and seven and eight. Sunyoung and Yoona would play castle together which always eventually ended with the two having an epic sword fight with their little foam swords and cardboard shields. They were brave little knights defending their respective castles. Somehow gentle Seohyun always won by claiming she had magic which would make both knights instantly fall over in defeat. Soojung would clap and laugh along with them.

Her sister Sooyeon wouldn’t let her play with them since that one time she fell down and her mom yelled at Sooyeon for not watching her close enough. Instead Soojung got to sit on the swings while Sooyeon and her nine year old friends braided each other’s hair and painted their nails.

Yoona, the bravest of the four, would climb up trees and jump off the tops of jungle gyms much to Seohyun’s protests and Luna’s awe. Soojung was not so brave but she would always clap as Yoona landed safely. Then she would pout as her sister looked at her with disapproving eyes and a shake of her head whenever Soojung cheered.


When she was seven Sooyeon would hold her hand and walk to Yoona’s house together for sleepovers. Sooyeon would be in Yuri’s room with Hyoyeon, Taeyeon, and her many other friends Soojung couldn’t remember the names of. She would get to sleep in Yoona’s room with Seohyun and Sunyoung. Now that she was older she could be the princess and Sunyoung her champion in their pillow jousting matches. Yuri would have to come in to tell them to quiet down when they all laughed too hard from Yoona and Sunyoung’s joust turning into a pillow fight. Soojung would hide behind Sunyoung as the older girl took the brunt of Yoona’s pillow attacks. Sunyoung would laugh and call Soojung the gentle queen.

Sometimes Yoona would drag Yuri in by hitting her with a pillow, in which the other six older girls would come in and join, forming an 11 girl pillow war until Yuri and Yoona’s parents would come in with their arms crossed, shaking their heads, telling them it was bedtime with smiles on their faces.



Then one day when Seohyun was thirteen and Yoona was fourteen, Seohyun’s magic made Yoona fall over not in defeat but head over heels in love with her. Soojung remembered seeing Sunyoung stopping Yoona from punching a boy who had earlier in the day called Seohyun pretty.

Yoona was a lot taller than Sunyoung by now and so Sunyoung had to jump onto Yoona’ back to stop the older girl from charging at the cowering boy. Sunyoung called Yoona a coward and Yoona jumped. Yoona and Sunyoung gave each other black eyes before Soojung managed to run across the field and pull them apart.

After they walked a sulking Yoona back home, Sunyoung explained to Soojung why Yoona was so angry and that she wasn’t mad but sorry at Yoona for hitting her. Soojung thought Sunyoung was both gentle and brave.

Ten year old Soojung wondered at the time why Yoona didn’t just tell Seohyun she liked her instead of picking fights with boys who thought Seohyun was pretty (because Seohyun is very pretty and she was sure a lot of boys thought so too).


At thirteen years old, Soojung became the queen bee of her middle school. She was tall, pretty, and quiet which was often mistaken for arrogance. Her first boyfriend lasted five days. They held hands and he would carry her bags. It was all fun until the weekend came and winter break started and like they somehow just forgot about it all.

Sunyoung, Yoona, and Seohyun were all in high school and so she would only see them occasionally on weekends. Sunyoung and Yoona joined the soccer team while Seohyun became junior class vice president, which surprised no one. Soojung would sometimes go watch the soccer games if it was on a weekend or if Sooyeon came home from college and visited Yuri who went to a college closer to home.

Yoona got into less fights now that she was older but Sunyoung told her that sometimes Yoona would ‘accidently’ kick the ball at the boys on the boys soccer team who would look a little bit too long at Seohyun when she would come watch them practice.

Sometimes Soojung thought Yoona wasn’t so brave.




Soojung finally felt what fourteen year old Yoona felt when she couldn’t tell Seohyun she liked her. With her fifteenth birthday Soojung found herself in Yoona’s shoes when she had a beach day for her birthday.

Sunyoung might have been a knight but Soojung thought maybe in retrospect she should have had magical powers too.

At least Sunyoung in a bikini should have magical powers. Sitting on her towel, Soojung was grateful for her sunglasses as she watched Sunyoung and Seohyun splash in the water with their friend Amber. She snapped out of it when a stray volleyball rolled in front of her and she moved to toss it back to her sister. It was then she noticed Yoona sitting next to hear, looking at her with a raised eyebrow and knowing smile.

Soojung looked away, cheeks warm when she spotted their classmate Minho running up behind Luna and Amber, tackling them into the water. Luna popped back up and glared at Minho, hitting him on the arm while he laughed and put an arm over her shoulder.

Soojung wondered if the tinge she felt in her chest was same as what made fourteen year old Yoona so angry.


A year later at sixteen, Soojung decided that she didn’t like kissing boys all that much after she made out with a lacrosse player behind the bleachers on a rather warm spring day. She thought about maybe she’d like kissing girls more as she sat on the bleachers after breaking up with him.

Especially five minutes later when she saw Sunyoung and the rest of the girl’s soccer team run back towards the locker rooms, carrying their equipment. Soojung laughed to herself when she noticed half the team had taken off their shirts and had only sports bras on. Sunyoung, hands free as she was named captain, spotted Soojung and waved at her with a big smile. Soojung waved back about to say hello when her words were caught in as Sunyoung pulled her jersey off, wiping the sweat off her forehead as a teammate ran up to chat.

Soojung shook her head and forced herself to look away out at the field when she was started by the sudden presence next to her. Sunyoung had lept onto the bleachers and sat herself down next to the younger girl with a grin, animatedly chatting away before Soojung had even fully registered what had happened.

Soojung found herself staring at glistening collarbones and had to physically stop herself from lowering her eyes to look at Sunyoung’s flat stomach.

Ten year old Soojung would have wondered why sixteen year old Soojung couldn’t have told Sunyoung she was pretty at that moment.



When Luna scored the winning goal for the regional girl’s soccer finals, Soojung was one of the first to rush out on the field after the older girl had untangled herself from her teammates. Soojung thought Sunyoung looked beautiful under the stadium lights, a beaming smile adorning her face as she threw her arms around Soojung’s shoulders. Soojung had wondered if Sunyoung could feel her erratic heartbeat as she returned the hug.

The team would later carry Sunyoung away on their shoulders and Soojung would follow to the after party at one of the player’s houses. There, she laughed and played with their friends, finding herself unbearably overjoyed when Sunyoung gave her another hug but kept a hand around her waist. When Sunyoung finally did pull away, it was because they had spotted Yoona and Seohyun, visiting from college.

Full from too much pizza and soda, Soojung found herself standing next to her classmates, cheering on their friends in a variety of frenzied party games. She happened to look out the window and spotted the backs of Yoona and Seohyun standing at the corner of the porch, away from the crowd. The two were leaning side by side on the railings, looking into the dark street.

Ten year old Soojung would have cheered and danced as she watched Yoona lean into Seohyun, giving what Soojung hoped was a kiss. Sixteen year old Soojung could only shrug and sigh. Finally.

But she also sighed at herself as she turned around to see Sunyoung happily taking a karaoke microphone from Jinri.


Ever since Sunyoung became a decent midfielder, she had told Soojung she had wanted to score a winning goal and celebrate by whipping her shirt off a la Brandi Chastain in the 1999 Women’s World Cup. It seemed silly but as Soojung sat in the stands at the State Finals, she couldn’t help but think how close Sunyoung was to that moment.

It seemed a dream but when Sunyoung sunk the ball deep into the net, past the defenders and goalie, the stadium roared. While it was nice to see Sunyoung accomplish her goal, Soojung was breathless as the older girl got back up and ran up to her section, fist pumping and looking her straight in the eye. Soojung vaguely recalled Sunyoung also shouting Yoona and Seohyun’s names along with hers.


When it was all said and done, it was the last summer Sunyoung would spend at home before college. The graduation party had lasted all night and as the stragglers stumbled home, Soojung found herself helping Sunyoung pick up the cups and cans littering Amber’s backyard. Tying the last trash bag, Soojung wiped her brow as she cursed. Feeling a nudge on her side, Soojung looked over to Sunyoung who gave her a high five.

After cleaning up, Soojung walked out to the front yard and waited for Sunyoung to finish up. Closing her eyes, she listened to the crickets chirping in the humid night. She hadn’t realized Sunyoung had come outside when she felt a hand grab hers. Opening her eyes, she swore her heart skipped a beat as Sunyoung grinned, pulling her towards the car.

Suddenly energized, Soojung found herself pulling into the parking lot of the park by the lake. Sunyoung looked at her questioningly as they got out of the car. Soojung held her breath as she made to hold Sunyoung’s hand, gently tugging her towards the benches by the lake.

There, they reminisced of days when they were gentle queen and brave knight, watching fireflies dancing around the reflection of the moon on the lake.

Soojung found it difficult to breathe as Sunyoung leaned rested her head on her shoulder.

She thought of ten year old Soojung. She hasn’t been so brave. So she her lips and takes a deep breath to speak.

“I think you’re pretty.”

They would be something gentle and something brave.