Away From Cloudlake

Eight Minutes 'Til Liftoff
Rating: PG
Dystopian AU
Taeyeon & Jessica + Seohyun + Yoona
I don't have a beta. I should find one.

 
Here is a girl who dreamed of the wild; the untamed and unruly nature of nature itself.
More than a comfortable life, she wanted a happy life.
Disillusioned by the path laid before her, she wanted an escape. A way out.
The government didn’t want people like her. They didn’t want dreamers and those with an independent spirit in the city. They wanted people who say ‘yes’ to everything and follow the rules.
You follow the rules, you live comfortably and peacefully.
Here is a girl who says no to that.
Here is Jessica Jung, Citizen ID: JJ07804
 
Sitting in the middle of the grass field at the park, Jessica and her friend Taeyeon lounge lazily underneath a tree. Jessica could never remember what kind of tree it is but all the trees in Cloudlake
were either this kind or palm trees.
This was the only place anyone was sure there weren’t cameras or guards watching. It was near the border of the slums so no one bothered to look after this place while constant ‘threats’ of gang violence from the slums could potentially pour into the city.
It was a fine sunny afternoon. Part of the perks of being a loyal citizen was having weekends off.
“Let’s get away from here.”
Taeyeon turned to Jessica, confusing evident in her furrowed brow.
“Let’s run away.” Jessica said as she lied back in the grass, ignoring how the grass might stain her creme sundress.
With a small, wry smile of amusement, Taeyeon joined Jessica down on the grass.
“Where we would go?”
Jessica exhaled deeply as she gazed up at the grey clouds spread across the sky. It looked about to rain.
“I don’t know. But I’m tired of this.” Jessica turned towards Taeyeon who had been gazing at her.
“I’m tired of hiding, working a desk job all day. Tired of not be able to be free.”
Taeyeon smile was sad. She reached to touch Jessica’s face, fingers tracing her jaw.
“Me too. But what else is there?”
Jessica turned her body to face Taeyeon entirely.
“Somewhere where we can have a happy ending together.” She said, looking down at the ring on her left hand. “Somewhere we can call home.”

 
Cloudlake was a city whose name sounded a hundredfold better than what the actual city was like.
A suburbia that consisted of endless rows of identical houses painted in varying shades of white blue and yellow. Minivans and SUVs were accompanied by the occasional red sports car to drop children off at private schools on the way to grey, identical skyscraper offices downtown.
Jessica worked as a typist at a copywriting firm. She, along with a hundred other women around her age were trained to type on their individual typewriters and were then set to copy thousands of pages of legal script and letters for the local mining companies. From new job contracts to notices of death, Jessica typed them all.
It was a mundane life. She graduated from the local high school and was assigned to be a typist over two years ago. For two years she woke at 7am, took the bus to work and worked from 8am to 4pm. Then she would go swimming at the local pool to keep in shape and then go to her parent’s house to have dinner with the family before heading back home at 8pm. Then it was the book club meeting at 8:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays or an evening chat with the girls. She was then off to bed at 11pm.
Her only shining light was Kim Taeyeon. She had met Taeyeon in high school. A pretty girl who followed the rules and was very dedicated to those she loved. They were assigned lockers next to each other and often had classes together and so they grew close.
 
Taeyeon was from the slums of Cloudlake. An area no one outside of it liked to speak about. She was one of the few lucky enough to be assigned to attend Cloudlake preparatory school. They decided she was gifted enough to be lifted out from the slums, where those deemed too rebellious or without enough intellect would reside.
All residents of the slums were required to have a retinal imprint for identification purposes. The one in Taeyeon’s right eye reminded Jessica of the photos of the Helix nebula she had seen in the space museum.
While most of their classmates paid no mind to Taeyeon’s presence, those related to the political higher ups despised her for her blood while those studying the arts secretly admired her.
Her mother was a renowned painter and her father a respected journalist until one day they decided they had enough with the structure of Cloudlake and the government dictating their lives and protested. Striking firmly and harshly, the family was thrown into the slums where they were given hard labor jobs instead. It was a small gift that her mother’s work was appreciated by many of the upper class that they were not tossed in jail and little Taeyeon left to fend for herself.
However, a few students had made it a personal vendetta against the girl, always stirring up trouble when teachers and supervisors were not around. Jessica and her friends made it a point to never leave Taeyeon alone after she got into a fight with the son of a lobbyist. It was a messy fight for both and no one reported it. Taeyeon knew the school would kick her out while the boy was too arrogant and prideful to admit that a girl had been the one to split his lip.
Life in high school was fairly normal. They went to class, did homework, would chat would friends after class.
 
Everything was fine as long as you followed the rules.
But sometimes the rules were bent by the people who made them.
Im Yoona, a popular and friendly girl a year below was one of those lifted out of the slums. She and Taeyeon were neighbors friends. She made friends with almost everyone she met. Seohyun, the daughter of an upper class politician, was a particularly close friend.
They were often seen together which drew ire from the other students who opposed slum citizens coming back to the city.
The rules were bent for Im Yoona.
 
It happened quickly and Jessica was only aware because she was sitting a few tables with Taeyeon away from where it happened.
City guards dressed in black suits quietly entered the chaotic cafeteria nearly unnoticed, weaving past loud students. One guard had a hand on Seohyun’s shoulder, holding her still. Another guard pulled Yoona from her seat as yet another watched silently.
In shock, Jessica watched as the first guard handed Seohyun a note before walking off, the other guards already walking Yoona out of the room.
A few weeks later, Jessica heard that Yoona was suspected of stealing from some of the upper class. There was no evidence and the tip was anonymous so they let the charges drop. However she was forced into a reeducation camp.
You either complete the rest of your schooling there or live a life of permanent banishment in the slums.
 
Things went on as if nothing had happened until they graduated. Post high school was only a little bit different. Both Jessica and Taeyeon were assigned to the same university and given the chance to select preferred roommates.
Of course, they chose each other.
Most days were filled with classes and then laying together in bed, talking about their day. They held hands and stayed close to each other, enjoying each other’s touches.
On the first day of winter of their third year, Jessica pressed her lips against Taeyeon’s.
They were close and thought nothing of it.
 
Romance did not exist in Cloudlake. You were assigned your husband and wife. No one bothered thinking about dating. No one explained to them what love or relationships were until it came time to be assigned your life partner.
One month after completing their degrees, Jessica was summoned into the local district’s Citizen’s Office.
There she met a young man a year older than her and was handed a ring by the official.
“In six months we will perform a compatibility check. 99% of the case you will not need reassignment. The paperwork will be mailed to you within the week. If you do not fail the compatibility check, you shall be officially married. You will keep the ring on at all time except for times of sleep, cleaning, or if you work in an environment specified otherwise.”
The young man had an earnest smile, but it couldn’t keep the panic bubbling in her chest away.
 
Jessica and Taeyeon sat quietly on the grass, leaning against each other. Jessica staring blankly at her ring as Taeyeon had her eyes closed.
“I know of a place.” A voice said softly, startling the two girls.
It was Seohyun.
Jessica, suspicious, moved to stand in front of Taeyeon, wary of what Seohyun wanted.
“I mean no harm.” Seohyun said, biting her lip. “I…” She hesitated. “I just know how you feel.”
Jessica raised an eyebrow. Seohyun was the daughter of a powerful senator. It was very likely there were guards nearby watching her.
“I-” Seohyun faltered again. She stood there quietly shaking. Fists clenched tightly as she looked to the side.
“Yoona,” She finally said. “Yoona was… more than my friend.”
Jessica felt Taeyeon shift behind her.
“Jessica opened to speak but couldn’t think of any words. She couldn’t imagine any of her friends being banished like that.
“Show us.” Taeyeon said.
Seohyun’s eyes flickered back to them, a grim smile on her lips as she pulled a map out of her pocket.
“Here.” She said, as she unfolded the worn paper. It was obvious that it had been folded and unfolded many time. Jessica didn't recognize any of the new markings on the map.
 
“Come with us Seohyun.” Taeyeon said as they loaded their bags into the trunk of the car.
Seohyun smiled wryly and shook her head. “I’m waiting for her.”
Taeyeon looked like she wanted to say something but Jessica knew Seohyun had already made up her mind. Reaching over, Jessica tugged on Taeyeon’s hand and shook her head.
“You’ll know where to find us.” Jessica said, stepping forward to give the girl a hug.
“I do.” Seohyun said, returning the hug. “Be safe.”
After they said their goodbyes, Taeyeon got into the driver’s seat as Jessica moved to close the trunk and climb into the other side.
The car was old, older than the either of them but it didn’t have the monitors newer cars had. Taeyeon had managed to get the junkyard owner to give it to her.
It was one of the only times Jessica had seen Taeyeon blatantly lie.
“It’s for an art project for my visual arts class, Mr. Lee.”
“Oh, well of course Taeyeon, just take whatever you need!”
No one knew that they were leaving but Seohyun.
When they were ready, Seohyun would let their friends know.
“Let’s go.”
 
They took a back road out of the city. They timed it so they would slip past city limits without alerting any guards thanks to Seohyun’s information.
Jessica let out a cheer as they drove past the dilapidated ‘WELCOME TO CLOUDLAKE’ sign a mile out.
They drove nonstop for a day just in case.
Jessica pulled off the road and into a small town marked on the map Seohyun had given them.
 
Welcome To Oak Slopes
Neither Taeyeon or Jessica have seen an oak tree before.
Craning their necks, they pulled over to stare up at the tall trees.
A cool breeze rustled the needle leaves.
Taeyeon took a deep breath, causing Jessica to turn to look at her.
“They’re beautiful.”
Smiling as she kept her gaze on Taeyeon, Jessica couldn’t agree more.
They drove cautiously on to the main street of the town. It was rather small but lively. People were milling about outside the cafes and riding bicycles up and down the street.
“Seohyun wrote something here,” Jessica said as looked at the map. “Miller’s?”
“Miller’s?” Taeyeon parroted.
“Yeah. Maybe it’s a store? Or a person?”
“Wait.” Taeyeon slowed down. “Is it that?” She pointed out the window.
Miller’s Tavern
Stepping inside, Jessica was mindful of the mace and tasers she and Taeyeon had clipped to their belts. Mace didn’t work on robotic guards but tasers were useful in short circuiting them.
They wandered up to the bar and waited as the bartender served another customer.
As he turned around, both him and Taeyeon gasped. Jessica whirled around in her seat.
He too had a retinal imprint.
 
Finally, they reached the circled spot on the map. Old Metropolis.
There was colorful graffiti adorning the walls of some of the buildings, loud music from stores and people of all shapes and sizes wearing various styles of clothing going about.
On the other side of the map Seohyun had written an address.
An old, white house on a hill next to a lake.
There were five rooms in the house. They chose the smallest one with the white blinds and round window overlooking the lake.
They sat on the edge of the bed with their fingers entwined, looking out the open window as the white blinds fluttered around them in the breeze.
The birds were singing, the clouds were floating by, and the leaves rustling.
They would wait for their friends in this house.
They would be happy in this house.