25;

Quiet, to the Point of Invisibility

25;

This definitely wasn’t manly, he thought, looking down at book. “Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts,” it said. He sighed, deep in thought. It didn’t help his financial status, that he was a university student with particularly high standards of living conditions. And it definitely didn’t help that Christmas was coming up either. With all the presents he had to buy, he would probably have to resort to eating cardboard by the end of the season. He sighed for the loudly nth time this hour (earning a disapproving look from the university librarian, but he didn’t really care at this point). Quickly looking around, he threw open the hard cover of the d.i.y book and flipped, looking for something that didn’t look too -- well, d.i.y-ed.

 

Kyungsoo had been diligently working on this extra credit psychology homework -- a biography on Carl Jung -- and would have continued to if it weren’t for his roommate (who left mysteriously for the library an hour before in search of a more mysterious topic) who came barging in, screaming Kyungsoo’s name with a book under his arm that looked suspiciously like Martha Stewart’s work (Kyungsoo never saw what his mother saw in her, for all Kyungsoo knew, even he could do better than that). He and his roommate didn’t communicate much (apart from the occasional ‘want ramen?’), there was no need to (neither wanted to either, Kyungsoo supposed). They came from two different social castes, Kai, from flashy gold and silver embellished New Year’s parties, and Kyungsoo, from cozy reading sofas, hot tea, candlelights and books. Kai was rich, his father had a rags to riches story, and Kyungsoo was, well, Kyungsoo. Average. A wallflower, as Stephen Chbosky would say. Kyungsoo stood out as much as brown on Thanksgiving, and Kai stood out like white against black. Kai was the opposite of timid Kyungsoo, so when Kai suddenly screamed his name, Kyungsoo was surprised to say the least. Kyungsoo took a while before fully registering what Kai needed.

“--hey are you even listening to me? Yah, Kyungsoo!” Kyungsoo didn’t know what to say.

“Hello?” Kyungsoo’s eyes were widening.

“Yes, yes?” Kyungsoo managed to croak out (at the same time wondering when they evolved to informal speech). His voice cracked from lack of use. “I’m sorry, what’s your problem?”

“Christmas,” Kai humphed, from his corner of the bed. He folded his arms and crossed his legs, all the while trying to crane his neck and see what his roommate was writing. (Now that Kyungsoo reflects on that moment he thinks Kai looks very cute like this.)

“Christmas…?” Kyungsoo didn’t know what was wrong with this particular red, white and green holiday.

“My mom is expecting a good present from me to her for Christmas.”

Kyungsoo didn’t understand what the problem was.

“And this is a problem because…” Kyungsoo received a sharp glare from the younger boy.

“Because I don’t know what to get her! And I don’t really have money right now.”

By now, Kyungsoo was fully confused, and it must’ve shown on his face, because Kai sighed.

“Look don’t worry about why and just pretend I’m a normal college student for a minute and just tell me what you’d do.”

Kyungsoo felt a twinge of annoyance that Kai didn’t think he was a “normal college student.”

“I just- if it were me.” Kyungsoo began, and looked at Kai for confirmation to go on. Kai nodded in complete concentration (forehead furrowed, the whole deal).

“I think-- does your mom have a particular hobby? Why don’t you give her something to do with her hobbies?” Kyungsoo managed to stutter out a complete sentence (which he hasn’t been able to do in a while) only to be stared at by Kai. Kai blinked. Kyungsoo mentally hit himself.

“I mean -- just don’t listen to me I’m an idiot,” Kyungsoo started, in an effort to not look like an idiot. “I’ll go back to my work now,” he stated awkwardly and turned back to his computer screen.



Kai was an idiot, Kai decided, and his roommate was a genius (or, perhaps, just more well versed in the art of the common sense).