Tears - Chen

Suffocating Minds

Nara placed a cigarette between her lips and lit it. She watched the dried leaves flutter on the ground, then take lift as the wind took them. Her hair blew forward, covering her face.

“You should stop smoking” Chen sat beside her, a blanket covering the both of them. She only hummed in response. He was probably right, he usually was but today, she didn’t care that much.

“Nara” he started, but she turned to look at him. He stared into her sad, blank eyes and gave up complaining at her; it was just going to go straight through her. “What am I going to do with you?” Chen sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He had lost her, all that was left was a shell and a mass of hardening, dying feelings.

“Nara” he started again “he’s not coming back.”

“I know” she told him. That was what he was afraid of.

“No Nara! You can’t do this. You can do this to me” he called at her, nearly shouting but she barely responded. “Please” his voice cracked, as tears fell from his eyes. He clutched her body to his, holding her tight. Just as he though she was completely gone, cold tears cascaded down her cheeks and onto his shirt.

“I’m sorry” her voice was weak. Chen pulled her body closer to his so there was no gap between them. She huddled into his chest, soaking his shirt with salty tears.

“We’ll be alright” he whispered to her.