Lee Howon / Hoya

Through Their Eyes

    "That's not true! I love your rapping, your voice, your personality- Everything about you. Your body is just a bonus feature.." She stopped herself from continuing that sentence, knowing it wasn't helping her case at all.

    "You've gotten shallow, you know that? We're done." I got up and left her front yard.

    "No, Hoya!! Come back!" I pretended not to hear her and just kept walking until my feet brought me home. I sat down, wondering why I didn't feel bad about breaking up with my girlfriend. Ususally that would be something to be sad about, right? I sighed and shrugged. Oh well, I wasn't going to let that girl hold me back anymore.

    The next day I was on my way to the dance studio and I stopped at a crosswalk, scrolling through my iPod as I waited for the light to change. As I crossed the street a girl with a seeing-eye dog started from the other side. I didn't want to stare or get in their way, so I walked around them and turned around to check that they made it across safely. They did and the girl smiled and scratched the dog on the head a bit before continuing parallel to my sidewalk. I went back to my thoughts, watching the pavement move under my feet as I walked.

    Suddenly there was a yell and a dog started barking. I looked up to see the girl from before had fallen down as a guy ran past her, snatching her bag. Why wasn't anyone going to help her? They just kept going about their business... I cursed under my breath and dodged across the street.

    "Stay right here. I'll get it back for you." I told her. She nodded, calming the dog down. I ran after the theif and found him in an alley; he was already going through her wallet and the bag was on the ground. "Dude, that's not cool. What kind of guy steals from a blind girl?" He looked at me, grabbed the money, threw the wallet to the ground and ran. I decided not to chase after him and instead just gathered everything up and ran back to the girl, who was still sitting on the sidewalk with her dog next to her.

    "Hey, are you okay? What's your name?" I extended a hand to her and was surprised she took it to help herself stand up.

    "I'm ___. And I will be. I'm so sorry you had to do that. You could've just left the situation alone. The only thing of value I had was a mp3 player with all of my music on it." She finally looked up and met my eyes and I tilted my head to the side. "Before you ask, no I'm not completely blind."

    "He got your money, though.."

    "It's okay, honest. I don't think it was much anyways. Um, thank you again." She bowed and the dog did a cute little head dip of it's own. "I'm sure you have things to do; I appreciate your help."

    "That's it? No reward?" I asked, getting an idea.

    She blinked, "Well you said yourself that he took my money..."

    I grinned, "Well then I  guess you'll have to reward me by spending the day with me. Come on, it's almost lunch time and I'm hungry." I grabbed her hand that wasn't holding the leash and began pulling her along. The dog walked beside me and gave me a 'don't try anything funny' sort of look, making me grin. Maybe today would be better than I had hoped.

    I bought lunch and brought it to the table outside where she and her dog were sitting. "So what's the dog's name?"

    Her face lit up, "This is Eien. That's Japanese for 'forever' because she and I are always going to be together." That was adorable; she loved her dog so much. I used to have someone I loved that much... "Do you want to pet her? Eien, play." The dog wagged it's tail and brought it's paw up, as if expecting a high-five. I reached forward and touched it's paw, making the tail go faster as the dog came over so I could pet her.

    "I've had her for a while now, and she's really helpful. Especially with things more than about an arms' length away, since I can't see much past that." ___ continued to tell me about her dog as we ate but we soon exhausted that subject and silence fell between us. "Um, I didn't catch your name..."

    "Oh! Sorry. You can call me Hoya." I grinned as she smiled and nodded before introducing me to Eien, too. I chuckled a little and the grin came off her face.

    "Are you laughing at me for talking to her like that? It's okay if you are-"

    "But I'm not! I laughed because that isn't something I'm used to. Most people talk to dogs like dogs." Understanding lit her face and she smiled again with a nod.

    "She's so smart, though. Smarter than some humans.." She seemed to speak from experience, which made me feel bad for her. But before I had an opportunity to say something consoling, she changed the subject. "Are you a dancer?"

    "What makes you think I'm a dancer?" I fidgeted, for some reason nervous. Did she not like dancers? That would make sense; I mean it's not like we do moves she can see or appreciate..

    "I could tell from your hands."

    "My hands?"

    She nodded and a light blush crept into her cheeks. "And the way you walked. You had a smooth rhythm to your step while you held my hand earlier. And though your hands were soft, they were muscular at the same time. There aren't many professions that leave you with toned muscles and soft hands."

    "Huh... that's true. Yeah, I am. I'm in a group called INFINITE. We were supposed to have practice today, actually, but things came up so I skipped."

    "So you ditched us for a cute girl and her dog, eh?" I felt a scarily familiar hand grip my shoulder as the fear-inspiring voice of our leader spoke behind me. I turned around to see the other six members behind me, though only Sunggyu looked annoyed. The others laughed at me getting in trouble or smiled at the person seated across from me.

    "Hyung~ Come on~ I didn't mean to~" I said with a grin as I looked up at him and he tried to keep a straight face.

    "It was my fault! Please, don't punish Hoya." ___ said with downcast eyes; not that looking up would've helped her see the group in front of her. "He really helped me out today..."

    "Who's this?" Woohyun asked, totally over my skipping practice.

    "This is ___ and Eien. I can tell you the details of our meeting later. We're kind of busy right now, though, so beat it." I said, wanting it to go back to just her and I. The other members made lots of  obnoxious 'ooooohh~~~'s and teased me, obviously not leaving. "Fine! I'll go practice right now. If you guys will just leave us alone." I stood up, taking ___'s hand and leading her and Eien away.

    "They were the rest of your group, I'm guessing?" ___ said with a small smile as we slowed to a walk and entered the studio building.

    "Yeah, sorry that they interrupted us." I sighed, opening a door to a practice room and sitting down to stretch out and stuff.

    "It's fine! I feel really, really bad about keeping you from your work. Please stay here as long as you need to. Do you mind if I stay and listen?" She sat against the wall near me and I smiled.

    "I'd love that. I'll try not to take too long." I started up the music and went to work, trying to focus. But I could see ___ in the mirror behind me moving side to side with the music as Eien lay on the floor next to her. As the song finished I walked over to ___ and grabbed her hands, pulling her up.

    "What's going on? Are you done already?"

    I shook my head. "You said you could see about an arms' length away, right?"

    She nodded, "Sometimes two, depending on how good lighting is and stuff..."

    "And how's the lighting here?"

    "Really nice, actually." She said, making me smile. She blushed in response, so I knew she could see me.

    "I want you to dance with me."

    "What?! I'm blind, I can't dance."

    "That's ridiculous. Who told you that?" I said, not even caring who told her such a lie. "If you live and breathe, you can dance." She just kind of stared at me so I rolled my eyes and started moving her hands to whatever it was that was playing. It probably looked a little like two little kids dancing, but after a bit she started to smile and dance on her own. 

    After several songs she stopped dancing and laughed. "No more, I'm tired." 

    "Tired? More like you're giggling too much!" I laughed with her and pulled her closer for a slow dance. "You're pretty cute, you know that?"

    The surprise on her face was so complete that I had to chuckle a little at her. Then she had a serious expression as she brought a hand up to my face and traced the side of it. "So are you." Her touch made my hair stand up and I felt really alive. I leaned in slowly and kissed her lips softly before pulling away, thinking of an important question.

    "Do you wanna go out again sometime?"

 

AUTHOR SAYS:
      DANCING MACHINE HOYA ♥ He's currently in an all-out brawl between all of the members for places on my bias list. It's not fair. OTL
      Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the oneshot! *bows* Please anticipate the next story. :)