Goodbye, Roommates

Unexpected

            The best way to deal with a scandal was to cover it with a bigger scandal.  Sojin was glad that she was not in a position with any burdens of an idol.  In fact, a new surge of popularity graced both her and Minwoo instead.  Immediately following the broadcast of the episode, people have been raving about the new couple, demanding the two to go on We Got Married, the imaginary marriage variety show.

            “I’ll help with the drying.” Sojin announced as she grabbed the plate from Minwoo’s hand.

            Minwoo flinched when her hand brushed against his.  Much to his dismay, she noticed.

            “Sunbae, a kiss is nothing to an actor.  Don’t tell me you’re still thinking about it.” She teased.

            “Of course not.  I have much better things to do.” Though, his ears were burning up.

            A tiny smile played on her lips.  She was finally gaining the upper hand and it would be foolish for her to not savour every moment of it.

 

            “...make choices that would make you happy, even if it seems selfish…”

            ‘Easier said than done.’ Chanyeol sighted heavily.  He thought that he had already made the right decision...Though, why was there still a sense of residing in his heart?

            “Good morning Hyung!” Kangjoon greeted with his usual vitamin-like smile.

            “Good morning!” Chanyeol greeted back.  Then he saw the large bag that the young actor was carrying.  “Wow, what’s with the bag?”

            “Oh, this?” The young actor glanced at his bag.  “I’m heading to the gym with Gayeon.”

            “Wh-Why?!” He almost choked on the glass of water.

            “I have a photo shoot this coming week, so I need to tone up my body.”  Then he asked, “Oh yea, Hyung went to Gayeon’s gym before, right?  What’s the atmosphere there like?”

            “Kangjoon oppa,” Gayeon called out as she walked down the staircase.  “Are you read—”

            Almost immediately, Chanyeol grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her out to the backyard, leaving a confused Kangjoon behind.

            She flung off his hand.  “What’s with you?”

            “No,” He responded.  “What’s with you?  Why do you keep bringing guys to the gym?  Don’t you have any female friends?”

            “Are you someone that I should be reporting to?” She retorted.

            “W-well..um…” He was at a loss for words.

            “Why…Why are you acting like this all of a sudden?” She was baffled.

            He saw the hurt and sadness that painted her eyes.  He was convinced that she was not over him yet.  “I don’t know.” He uttered.

            “Forget it.” She shook her head.  “I have to go.”

            He stood here helplessly as he watched her left the house.  When she was completely out of his vision, he slumped down on the bench.  Just then, he received a text message notification.  The name on the screen made him smile unconsciously.  Somehow, he didn’t bother to change the name – he thought it was fine to leave it the way it was.

            My Gayeonnie:  Let’s meet up at the usual place tonight.  It wasn’t very clear to me last time…So let’s have a clean break up this time.

            He clenched his phone tightly.

 

            “What was that all about?” Kangjoon asked once they got inside the taxi.

            Gayeon shrugged.  She was thankful for the sudden ringing of her phone that saved her from any further explanation.  “Hello?”

            “Fine!” Shouted from the other line.

            She pulled the phone away and realized it was Chanyeol.  However, by the time she put the phone to her ear again, he had already cut off the line.  “Seriously…” She muttered.

            “Huh?  What?”

            She shook her head.  “Nothing.”

            She stared out the window, debating if she should even move forward with the plan tonight.  Depending on the EXO idol’s response, tonight would just end up as her pathetic last attempt to save what might have already left.

 

          When the night fell, Gayeon waited by the park bench with a heavy heart.  Then she saw him.  “You’re here.” She said.

            “What’s with the ‘clean breakup’…Didn’t we break up already?” He asked, somewhat rhetorically.

            “That was your break up.” She said.  “And this is mine.  Then, after tonight…That’s it…”

            “Fine.  Then how would you like to make it ‘clean’?”

            She pointed to the steamy hot bowl of noodle that she had already sat on the bench.  “Eat this.”

            He could already smell the hot spices before he saw the deep redness on top of the noodle.  “You want me to eat this?”  His mouth hung open in shock.

            “If you could finish it, then I will acknowledge that you’re serious about the break up.”  Her voice was even and almost aloof.

            ‘A clean break off?  This woman…Are you really that set on breaking up with me?’ He thought bitterly.  He would hate to think that Kangjoon had anything to do with this.

            “Here.” She handed the bowl to him.

            “Fine.” He spat out the word like poison.  He took the bowl from her.  Though, he could not help but gulped with fear at the fiery-looking bowl of noodle.

            She smiled sadly.  When he took in the first mouthful of the noodle, she finally had to accept the truth.  It was her foolish one-sided thinking all this time.  It was time for her to wake up and face reality.  Quietly, she turned away as the idol struggled with the noodle.  She held her head up when she felt a drop of tear trying to make its way down her face.  Even though she tried, it was difficult to stop the tears from falling when the first drop had already reached the tip of her chin.

            “Wait…” Chanyeol’s voice became coarse from the spiceness.  “Don’t go…”

            ‘What?  So you want to see my face of defeat too?’ She thought, unwilling to turn back and let him see the state she was in at the moment.

            He wanted to massage his temples at her stubbornness.

            Her eyes widened because of the arms that wrapped over her shoulders suddenly.  She could hear his heart beating fast.

            “Don’t go…” He whispered into her ear.  “There’s no way for me to finish that bowl…So, I’m stuck with you.”

            Even though she was crying, she suddenly had the urge to laugh.

            “I thought you were going to stop me.”

            She was pathetic because she could have easily pushed him off.  “Why would you be stuck with me?” She asked, though she already knew the answer.

            He tightened his hold on her.  “Cruel woman.”

            “Do you believe that I will just take you back like that?”

            “Sorry.  Sorry for being such an idiot.” He finally admitted.  He buried his face in her hair.

            Unknowingly, she smiled.  When she turned around, he loosened the grip.  Then without any warning, she gave him a low kick.

            “Ow!” He was down on the ground, held his leg, and groaned in pain.

            “That’s for being such a frustrating guy!” Despite the scary tone in her voice, the look of amusement on her face could not be hidden.

            “Okay…I kind of deserved that…”

            “Kind of?”

            “No, no, no!” He put up his hand in surrender, afraid of another attack.  “I totally deserved that.”

            “That’s right.  And if you try to pull something like that again, then I will really end it.”  She warned, while trying to fight back a smile.

            Despite being in the state of pain at the moment, he was thankful to see her smile again - that smile which was only reserved for him.

 

            A few weeks had passed and the roommates gathered for their last filming since the PD had announced the cancellation of the show.  Some of the roommates decided to play a game of dodgeball out in the backyard, while the rest either started packing their belongings or organizing for their last dinner together.  Much to everybody’s surprise, Park Bom visited, even though she stayed with the production crew mostly and tried to stay out of the spotlight.

            Finally, the young fighter got to ask the older girl what she had meant when she said to be careful of Minwoo.  Apparently, the singer knew of the young fighter’s crush on the older boy, but also knew the latter had only treated the young girl as a mere dongsaeng.  Quite an anticlimactic response.

 

            While Gayeon was packing, Chanyeol sneaked up and gave her a back hug.

            “Oppa, there are cameras here.” She blushed.

            “They will edit it out.” He responded confidently.

            “Seriously…”

            “Should we go on We Got Married?” He asked grinningly.  He helped to fold up the clothes.

            “Oppa, did you hit your head?” She eyed him suspiciously.

            “Oh yea…” He tapped on his chin with his forefinger.  “Do you remember our bet?”

            “D-didn’t I already fulfill it?” Her eyes blinked unnaturally several times.

            “You wish.” He ruffled her hair.  Then he leaned in and whispered into her ear.

            Her face heated up.  “Oppa!”

 

            Everyone gathered on the bench and watched the firework went off in the mid-autumn sky.

            “Cut!” The PD swung his hand forward.  “Okay, that’s the final wrap!”

            As people went here and there to send their thanks and give off some congratulatory words, Gayeon felt the nervousness was eating her up more and more.

            Chanyeol nudged her arm with a playful smile on his face.

            She sent him a glare.  ‘How am I supposed to do something so embarrassing…?’

            He nudged her again. 

            ‘Fine.’ She took a deep breath, shut her eyes tight, and shouted, “Park Chanyeol is mine!”

            Everyone froze at the petit girl’s voice.  Chanyeol tried to keep a straight face.  Suddenly, everyone broke into a fit of laughs.

            “It’s okay, we know.” Soohyun told the young girl.

            The Deadly Beauty wanted to hide her face from embarrassment.

 

THE END

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Lol, this has to be fastest update in a long, long time....even I couldn't believe it.  Well, since most of the major issues that I have sat forth in the beginning have been solved, I will just end the story here.  In case some of you won't be reading the afterword, I just want you to know how thankful I am to have your support as I write this story. =]