Boomerang

Unexpected

            Sojin swiped her finger across the phone screen to reject the call.  She felt a lump hooked at the end of and swung down aimlessly at the pit of her stomach.  She didn’t want anything to add to her stress; sitting in the waiting lounge just outside the CEO’s office had already made her nervous enough.  Even when there was nobody else in the room, she still kept her smile to look more presentable.  However, her body was still tensed and the smile looked slightly bitter.  When her phone rang again, she looked down and saw an incoming message from her high school sunbae, Kisoo.  She frowned upon the name, cursing beneath that now was not the time.  However, when another message followed soon after, she got impatient and called her sunbae.

            “About time you responded!” A tone of relief was evident in on the other line.

            “Sunbae, I’m really busy right now.”

            “Sounds good that you’re busy nowadays.  Does this mean you’re debuting soon?”  Her sunbae asked, but did not sound all that curious.

            “Okay, what is it Sunbae?” Sojin could no longer conceal the annoyance in her voice.  “Or if it’s not important, than can I call you back later?”

            “No!” Kisoo seemed to panic.  “It’s important…Regarding your request of the photos…”

            Sojin quickly got up from her chair, went out into the hallway, and covered her free hand over and the speaker part of the phone.  “Now is really not a good time to talk about it.” She warned.

            However, her sunbae was not bothered by the warning, “Those photos are all over the internet now…Maybe not all over now, but it’s going to be.”

            Her heart dropped, not believing what she was hearing.  She demanded for a clarification.

            “I’m sorry, Sojin.  I needed cash, so I sold—”

            “You what?!” She gasped, a bit louder than she anticipated.

            “I’m sorry…”

            She was beginning to hyperventilate, “Sunbae, how could you?”

            “I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Guilt and apologies were of no value to Sojin at this point.

            Tired of the apologies, she ended the call.

            ‘This is not supposed to happen.’ She closed her eyes and massaged her temples.  She had sent those photos to her sunbae so he could edit it to ease the suspicion on her part before sending them off to the SM Entertainment head office.  She had never intended those photos for the public eye.

            “…Sojin-sshi?”

            “Yes?” She jumped at the voice.

            “The CEO is now ready to see you.” The secretary smiled and motioned her to enter.

            She greeted and bowed respectfully to Lee Hoyeon, the CEO of DSP Media.

            Noticing how tensed the young girl seemed, he gestured warmly towards the chair just across his desk.  “Please take seat.”  He smiled after she sat down as he requested.  It was a kind and caring smile, one that would appear from a parent to his child.  “So how’s your day so far?”

            She knew the elderly man was being kind.  However, nothing could ease her mind now.  “It’s great!” She answered with a forced energetic front.

            Lee Hoyeon was not convinced, but he did not push further.  At his age, he had seen many things and knew sometimes the best policy was to stay quiet and wait.

            For a brief while, Lee Hoyeon settled for simply observing the young girl’s face.  He was still enough that one might think it was a life-sized wax model in front of him.

            Under the circumstance of silence, Sojin could only continue to keep her slight smile on as usual.  Her fingers fidgeted, but the action was saved from the grace of the desk between them.

            After what seemed an eternity, the man’s smile finally widened.  “I have a proposal for you.  It contains details regarding your debut.”

            Her chest tightened with anticipation and her facial muscles finally relaxed into a genuine smile.

            “But I’m not sure if you would accept it.”  The CEO seemed apologetic.  He shifted a thin folder towards her.  “Actually here, have a look.”

            Feeling somewhat dejected and thinking that everything was too good to be true again, she opened the folder.  She scanned through the documents quickly and one word popped up that puzzled her.  She looked up confused, “Actress?”

            With twinkles in his eyes, he smiled and nodded, “What do you think?”

            ‘Actress?’ She had certainly taken some classes before, but she had never really focused her attention in that particular area.  She had thought of debuting as a singer since she was young.  Though, it might not be the perfect debut she imagined, her heart was plumping with excitement.  She broke into a gummy smile.  “Thank you so much!  I promise that I will work even harder from now on!”  She got up and bowed beyond ninety degrees.

            “Oh, that’s good you’re happy with the plan.”  The CEO leaned back in his chair.  “I know how hard you have worked to become a singer…However, it was decided on a majority vote that debuting as an actress would greatly benefit your career and of course, our company as well.”

            “I know that I still lack a lot as an actress, but I will give it my best.”

            “I don’t doubt your ability.”  He responded positively.  “Now, moving onto the details, there is just one condition that I’m afraid you would have to bear for a while.”

            Her ears perked up enthusiastically, even though the CEO seemed to hesitate a little.  As long as she could get her debut, then nothing else would matter.  Her conversation with Kisoo earlier was long forgotten.

 

            “Hyung, you wanted to see me?”  Chanyeol closed the door after he stepped inside his manager, Tak Youngjun’s office.  He was the head of all of EXO’s managers.

            “Yeah, Chanyeol-ah, can you explain this?” Youngjun walked around the desk and slammed down several sheets of paper on the desk’s surface.

            Clueless as to what had caused his manager’s sudden bad mood, he took the papers in his hand.  A small smile tugged on his face as he shuffled through the papers with prints of images clearly taken from Roommate.  ‘And I thought I was the only fool here all this time.’ He noted secretly to himself, pleasantly surprised to find evidence of the Deadly Beauty looking in his way whenever his attention was elsewhere.  As if he suddenly realized there was another person in the room, he straightened his face and said, “These are from Roommate.”

            Youngjun scoffed, “Of course these photos are from Roommate.”  He had one hand on the edge of the desk, supporting his weight.  “Don’t play dumb.  Now, tell the truth — are you dating Song Gayeon currently?”

            “Does it matter?  It’s not like anyone else is going find out.”

            “God damn it!”  The manager bellowed and kicked away the trash can near the desk.   “It’s all over the internet!”

            “W-what…” Chanyeol’s eyes widened.

            “You heard me; it’s all over the internet.  Someone must have leaked it out.”  The manager scratched the back of his head and turned to the young idol, “Chanyeol-ah, I thought you’re smarter than that, especially after all that have happened recently.  You’re not doing yourself or Gayeon-sshi a favour.”

            “Couldn’t…” The young idol hesitated.  “Couldn’t we just tell the media it’s just a misunderstanding?  I mean these photos are not uncommon.  Anyone could take these kinds of photos even in a crowd full of strangers.”

            “Yes, and the sasaeng is a very understand group of people.” Youngjun spat sarcastically.

            “Hyung, that’s why I suggest we should write it off as a misunderstanding to the media as soon as possible.”

            The manager shook his head.  “And you think it would work?  Okay, let’s assume that it would work this time.  Then what?  Are you just gonna continue what you’re doing now?  Are you gonna keep dating her?”

            “Yes.” Chanyeol answered firmly.

            Youngjun stared him in disbelief, “Are you out of your mind?  You’re even worse than Baekhyun.”

            “Hyung, I know your concern about the sasaeng.  But I can protect her—”

            “And who’s protecting you by the end of the day?”

            He kept silent.

            “Wake up, Chanyeol.  You’re not a child anymore.  The world just doesn’t work that way.”

            “I know what I’m doing.”  He didn’t realize he had clenched up a fist at his side.  “Hyung, if there’s nothing else, I’m heading back to practice.”

            Chanyeol went out and closed the door behind him.  Shaking away the heaving atmosphere, he joined s in the practice room.

 

            “Wow, you’re getting popular these days Gayeon…” Dowon commented as he walked over with a package in his hand.

            “Thanks.” Gayeon took the package from the older man’s hand.  It was a rectangular box, the size of a cutting board, wrapped with red satin and white silk fabrics.  Whoever the sender was, he or she must be a detail-orientated person as the fancy fabrics were covering around the box meticulously without a crease. 

            “Oh yea, today’s choice: pizza or jajangmyeon?” As usual, Dowon started making a round to note down s’ lunch choices.

            “Jajangmyeon!” She chose without a second thought.

            After Dowan was gone, she began removing the fabrics.  She lifted off the lid without the expectation that her breathing would stop at the sight of the contents inside the box.

            Inside the box was a voodoo doll with pins stabbed all over it.  A thicker pin stabbed on the left eye of the doll.  Mustering up her courage, she removed the doll and read the message smeared with red paint on the inner surface of the box.

            ! You better leave our oppa alone!

            “Gayeon!”

            Upon hearing her name being called, she quickly dumped the doll back into the box and threw the whole thing in the garbage bin.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:  When I planned for this chapter, I honestly didn't realize it would be this short.  Anyways, I'm trying to get back with writing (my brain was seriously damaged by the exams @___@)  so hopefully there would another update in a few days' time.  *sigh*  I feel it's harder to write as the story gets closer to the end.  It feels as though I'm separating from my baby or something.  

Anyways, I truly thank all of you for your patience!  =D