Chapter Seventeen

Past Perplexity [hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was nerve wrecking and the fact that Min Jee was still half asleep didn’t help things.

Not even the smell of coffee (she didn’t taste it though) would wake her up as she rode with Chen and Luhan silently towards the warehouse that Chen had told her just earlier that night.

The sun hadn’t even risen yet and as she stared at the streets filled with houses of people who were still probably slumbering away, Min Jee sighed, wishing that she was one of them. Sadly though she only got a couple of hours of sleep before Chen woke her again; a more orthodox method that wasn’t screaming but did involve the banging of pots which in turn only made her throw a pillow at him.

Chen offered to buy her some pie afterwards and in her half-asleep mind Min Jee had accepted even though she probably should have asked for it to be a package meal instead.

Letting out a yawn, Min Jee watched the houses soon disappear into buildings withered with age and vandalism, shops that were obviously closed down while some were still open with stained banners and faded letters. Everything of course was void of light and life.

Maybe there was a reason she had no idea that there were actually docks because she would have never ventured into this area in a million years.

She turned her head to Chen who was sitting next to her on her left.

“Why do we have to come along?” she asked quietly.

The male shrugged at her. “Probably because we know about the situation; apparently it’s just so we can scope things out, we won’t actually be doing anything dangerous. I think Suho would suffer an aneurysm before ever allowing that to happen.”

Min Jee nodded before yawning again without helping it and Chen let out a chuckle, raising the take-out cup that was in his hand. “Are you sure you don’t want some coffee, I still have some left.”

She shook her head mumbling something about ‘surviving’ before her eyes popped wider when Luhan finally stopped the car, pulling into an alley where two agents, one she recognized as Sehun, were standing at the side door of a bricked building.

It was quiet for the most part and once the trio got out of the car, Sehun only nodded at them before going inside, signalling them to follow. Leading them up the stairs, they entered an apartment, that once inside; it seemed like an more foldable version of an office right out of the NIS, complete with a couple of laptops and chairs made out of carton boxes where a makeshift table was created from a piece of plywood and more boxes.

Suho already was there, sitting at one of the laptops, typing away as the other screen showcased a surveillance system of the warehouse. When Min Jee leaned into to watch the cameras, there appeared to be was not a soul in sight.

“So far there’s no unusual activity,” Suho commented, his voice gravely from the early morning. He cleared his throat to give orders to Sehun to check the camera from across the street, but even as he continued to speak, his voice was still rough.

“Not a morning person?” Min Jee couldn’t help but ask him.

Suho cracked a small smile on his otherwise blank face and nodded softly. “But I do what I have to,” he said with a sigh, rubbing his eyes as he leaned back against the chair barely stifling a yawn in the process.

Glancing beside her, she saw that Chen had already made comfortable place against the wall. His head was down, eyes probably closed underneath the hair that covered his face slightly. A slightly snore came from him which was also a huge indicator.

Luhan on the other hand had pulled up a carton to sit beside Suho, staring at the computer screen with a serious face.

Out of all of them, he was the most awake which was why he was the first to spot movement near the warehouse.

Quickly they all assembled around the makeshift desk. Chen, having been dozing before, nearly stumbled into Min Jee as he came up behind her. He muttered an apology as he righted himself with a hand on her shoulder, but left it there as he looked over.

Seeing the person on the screen, it was hard to tell who it was when their face was covered partly by the collar of their jacket with a cap pulled over their head.

“Male, based on his stature, appears to be strong, I’m assuming he could be from late twenties to early thirties,” Suho commented softly before there was slight static coming from his ear and a voice broke through.

It was only then that Min Jee noticed the ear piece and it was obvious that Sehun was on the other side.

A few affirmations later, Suho turned to the trio.

“Sehun’s noticed something strange in another building a block away and he’s going to check it out which means that I need get closer to the warehouse myself,” Suho said before standing up and zipping up his coat further up till the collar reached his chin. “You three will keep watch here, and inform me of any movement you see on the cameras. If any dangerous situation arises, do not come after me. I repeat, do not come after Sehun or I no matter what.”

Suho shuffled towards a duffel bag then, clipping a small and discrete camera onto his collar while a microphone slipped into his jacket. Afterwards he pulled out an ear piece that was like his, handing it to Luhan with narrow eyes as Chen and Min Jee stepped back to make room for him. Without the warmth of Chen’s hand on her shoulder, Min Jee couldn’t help the tiny shiver of cold that travelled through her.

“I expect you to follow through with what I said,” he said, a different tone in his voice, as if in the past Luhan had directly disobeyed him before.

Luhan must have known the implication as he took the ear piece without so much as a comment, knowing full well it wasn’t the time to joke around.

After running through the basics, making sure his personal camera was hooked up to the computer, and what they were supposed to do in detail, Suho left the room. Heading towards the warehouse, he went to hide in the shadows on the alleys that were near the place they were staking out.

The man that was seen by them had already slipped inside just before after he had circled the warehouse twice, probably to make sure it was safe on his end.

It was only a couple minutes after that a van pulled up. As the door opened, Luhan quietly described the scene they saw on the screen into his ear piece for Suho and Sehun. The first person that exited from the driver’s side was someone that was similar to the first man, except his face wasn’t covered, show casing the tattoo of a dragon on the side of his face, travelling down his neck. Once he got out of the van, he ventured towards the side where he opened the door, and a slim woman stepped out. Her face was covered by a scarf but it didn’t take much to know that it was the woman they were looking for.

Song Qian and in her hands was a small suitcase.

Based on the size, it could have held something from money to drugs.

But somehow without even any guessing, Min Jee knew.

“She has it,” she commented.

Luhan turned to her. “Really?” he asked, doubt obvious in his voice.

Min Jee nodded, eyes narrowed. “I’m sure of it.”

Without another question, Luhan quickly told the agents of the new development

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter