Chapter 11

Blue anTHəm

      Wendy sat impatiently as the night grew old. She wanted to hug her friends. She wanted revenge. She watched KyungSoo take Joy and Seulgi into a separate room, whatever he was doing, Wendy didn't care. Whether it be erasing their memories or making them into HU's, to Wendy, anything was better than letting them get poisoned like Irene.

      "There is hatred in your eyes," BaekHyun came to her side, "What will you do?"

      "You know I can't do anything," she shoved him slightly with the sharp portion of her elbow.

      He chuckled, "Ah, but that's where you're wrong. You can do anything you want."

      "You're saying I should become one of you?"

      Shaking his head, he placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, "Whether you want to be or not, you choose but in reality, you're already one of us."

      "You're dead," Tao came to sit on the other side of her, "Remember?"

      "Ah, right."

      Wendy sat quietly after conversing with the people she used to feel uncomfortable with. A lot was going through her mind and there was so much more she couldn't seem to understand—But what's the use of worrying? It won't save any of her friends, and it definitely it won't save her plan to find Happiness.

      Seeing that Irene stirred in her coffin, Wendy jolted towards her. Crying softly, she noticed how pale her baby skin had gotten. It used to be so full of color but now, she seemed as if she were almost dead.

      "Please Irene," Wendy repeated, "Please don't die."

      Silence fell upon her, even the slight movements of bugs became unheard. Looking around, she noticed the HU's were still in their standing places, immobile. Wendy looked up slowly, only to see that her friend was sitting straight up in the coffin, death in her eyes. Irene's pale skin became tatted with curses and thorns, almost as if she were growing scales.

      "Wendy," she spoke in a whispering tone, "I now know what you went through."

      Wendy sat silently, as if Irene's spell affected her as well.

      "But in order to gain more power, to be stronger than you are, I went through much more."

      Irene giggled to herself as her nails grew a little longer, pointier, and more dark colored. The energy she had flowing through her was going through the roof, literally. It blinded Wendy, making her turn away from the massive power Irene's pure body had consumed.

      "You always had everything.." Irene stepped one leg after the other out of the coffin, "I hated you."

      "You don't mean that-"

      "Oh, but I do! The only man I had ever loved in my entire life was LuHan, and you took him away!"

      "I didn't-"

      "I thought we were friends but you, you were so sly. Oh so very sly," Irene talked as if she were mad, "So. ing. Sly."

      Wendy couldn't find the courage in herself to stand up for herself. Against someone she loved so much, Wendy was defeated.

      "I should tell you what type of power the Ex-Devil gave me."

      "What is it?"

      "It's a combination of stopping time and controlling people."

      Feeling her body tense up, Wendy's arm started to move on its own and so did her feet. Step by step, she made her way into the kitchen and her hand reluctantly grabbed onto a knife.

      "The Ex-Devil's favorite powers, combined into one body." she laughed as she made Wendy bring the knife closer to her own chest, "You see? Only I have this power! You don't! Finally, something you don't have!"

      "I-I have powers!" Wendy blurted out as she tried to resist Irene's control, "I have something you don't!"

      Irene looked at her for a while and then laughed slowly as she pushed the knife until it pierced the first layer of Wendy's skin, "You're bluffing. The Ex-Devil said you didn't have any!"

      "H-He lied to you!" Wendy looked down to where the knife was slowly cutting, only to see that beads of blood were forming, "Please stop this, Irene."

      "You're lying-!"

      Just when her guard was down, KyungSoo managed to break free of her spell. He tackled her onto the ground and sealed her eyes and hands with a spell, making it hard for her to use her powers.

      "I've seen this before," KyungSoo huffed as he nodded over to Lay, signaling that Wendy needed to be healed, "One can only use the power if they see you. That's the downside of gaining such a great power."

      "Irene didn't know what she was going into," Kai picked her up and gently put her back into the coffin, "ChanYeol gave her what she wanted but didn't tell her any full details.. He is too evil."

      "And here I was, thinking that I was evil," KyungSoo shook his head, "but I guess I was too into the Devil role."

      He turned to face Wendy, taking off his shirt to reveal the same scar that ChanYeol once placed on the HU's. KyungSoo put a hand over the awful memory and whispered in her ear;

      "I was once human, too." he started, "Then one day, I figured out that I was going to die from cancer.. and just like you, I begged to live-"

      "And he turned you into an HU.." Wendy looked at him with understanding, "But why did he appoint you the new Devil?"

      "He was told to by the Higher Command." he pointed to her, "That was you."

      "That can't be. I was living with my parents."

      "It's because ChanYeol was so angry, he put his most powerful spell on you, blocking you from remembering that you were ever the Higher Command. Making you live miserably as a human once more."

      KyungSoo sighed as he watched Wendy's tears fall, "When you figured out ChanYeol's plan to overthrow you and terrorize the living, you appointed me as the new Devil, the ruler of Hell. Why do you think it's so hard for you to remember what we talked about after you died when that car crashed into you? Why do you think that when you try to remember your past, it's all just pain?"

      Shaking his head, KyungSoo sat her down after Lay was finished healing her, "Those memories you seem to remember, they were planted by none other than ChanYeol himself. He made you think you were human once more. He made you think you had a bad past but when you think about it, do you even know what your past was all about? You just know that you suddenly started to look for this imaginary Happiness that didn't exist."

      Wendy fell silent.

      Biting down on her lip, Wendy turned to face him, "Just tell me.. I was still once human, yes?"

      "We were all once humans, but like I said before, if we continue to talk about it, our powers disappear and so do we."

      "Why?"

      "To become an HU or someone of Hell, you have to forget that you ever had feelings. Such as fear, pain, love.. all of it. But if you remember, they come back, and if they do, your lifespan drops to that of a human." he pointed towards Tao, "Like him... he only has a year left to live.. and he's been an HU for over four years now."

      Tao turned away from Wendy's gaze but only to find that Joy had been looking at him from the beginning. If only he had never wished to live, if only he had accepted his fate and died when heaven wanted him as an angel. Only then, would he have been able to keep his human feelings without dying.

      "Is that true?" Joy asked as she came closer to him, "You only have a year left?"

      Tao didn't know how to respond.

      "I may have hated you at first," Joy held his hand, "But I want to get to know you more. So, don't go yet, please?"

      He tugged his rough hand away from her soft ones, "I don't choose when I get to leave."

      "Tao's right," KyungSoo nodded, "The Higher Command has a say in every dying dead's fate."

      Wendy could feel the pressure of the eyes that seemed to be begging her for something, "You're saying I can stop anything at any given time?"

      "Yes and no," Chen had finally calmed down, "You can stop an HU's death but you can't stop ChanYeol's revenge with just a few words."

      Lay stood next to Tao, "He's right, it takes a lot of power to stop him and only you have it."

      "Will you help us live forever?"

      I have been the Higher Command from the start and I only figured that out now. Without knowing, I let KyungSoo boss me around.. I let him take control of me. I lived in a world where I thought I had to have happiness to live on. I was the Higher Command. I am the Higher Command. How could they treat me like a normal Human being?

      "We've hinted about it before," Lay started, "I once told Joy that you had a certain power KyungSoo wanted."

      "That means he wanted to take my place of being the Higher Command?"

      "No, he wanted you by his side so that he could defeat ChanYeol," BaekHyung sighed, "Why do you take things so negatively?"

      With the atmosphere becoming less tense, thanks to BaekHyun's comment, Wendy went over to Tao and placed a hand on his shoulder.

      "I will let you all live forever.. and still keep your human feelings."

 


Author's Note

      Hahahahaha, so I have no idea what this chapter was about. Maybe I just wanted to explain a few things? IDK.. I hope I didn't confuse too many of you T,,T. I , I know. lmfao. My lovely Pistachios! Is it weird that I call you guys that? Hmmm.. I'm thinking of just taking it away :/ but who knows! That's only if you guys hate/dislike/think it's weird! Let me know!

감사! ♥