My Furry Friend

Rainbow in The Dark

"Cole, honey may I come in?" My mom calls from the other side of the door. I look to Chanyeol, who is already half way out the window. 

"Yes" I call back. My mom pokes her head through the door. "Is somebody up here?" 

"No...why do you ask?" I say tugging nervously at the bottom of my shirt. I knew Chanyeol wasn't in view, I was just worried he'd pop he head into the window too soon. 

"I thought I heard voices, but perhaps it was just my imagination" she says looking around my room. "I'm going shopping, do you need anything?" I shake my head. My mom leaves quietly, it isn't till I hear the front door shut that I'm able to move again. I sigh and look out the window, Chanyeol is nowhere in sight. I grab a sweater and decide to go out for a walk.

The air is chilly for mid September, but not bitter just yet. It's times like this when I wish I had a dad to toss a ball around with. I bet you're thinking 'that's a very guy thing to say' well screw you, I had identity issues when I was little. I didn't like how people hought being a gil meant I liked pink and shopping and all things 'girly'; so I dressed as a guy. I'm not sure my mom enjoyed this, seeing as she chose to be a single parent I would think that meant she didn't want a man in the house. What's over is over and done with and I've gone back to colours I despized as a kid, but I still keep my hair short and do my best to stay out of girl drama at school. 

Still, it'd be nice to have a father figure in my life, someone to comfort my mother when she falls under depression; somebody to keep me company when my mother can't. It'd be nice to have somebody new in my life; but who am I kidding? That's not going to happen anytime soon. I stoll up the stret, enjoying the small sounds here and there; the rustling of leaves, chatter from across the way, the occasional chirp of a bird. 

"I wonder where Chanyeol went" I say to myself, turning a corner. I hadn't seen him since he'd left my room to escape my mom. It wasn't like I was worried...well maybe a little...but still he's a grown man, he can take care of himself. But he never answered me, his wound healed and he has a birthmark in the shape of a bird; and he still hasn't told me what he is. If he's human, than he must be half mutant or something; no human can heal that quickly. 

"I wish I knew what he was" I sigh aloud. Rustling in some nearby bushes catches my attention. At first I see nothing and keep walking; and then I hear it again. Rustle, rustle. I look and see two hazel eyes looking at me. No body showing through the bush, simple the eyes, staring straight ahead. I step closer to get a better look, those aren't human eyes, no those are the eyes of an animal. The closer I get, the more I can make out two ears, through the branches of the bush. Dog ears, I think. 

The dog moves back and hops out from around the bush. I step back and see this is no dog, but a wolf. A black wolf with a partiall white face and a white underside. It has to be the most handsome wolf I've ever seen, and I've seen a few up close. I step back slowly, knowing I shouldn't threaten or challenge it. The wolf steps forward, moving closer, slowly. 

"Nice wolf" I say holding my hands out to show I have no weapon. I realise at this moment I should be trying to look threatening, but I have nothing; no stones, or sticks; I can't run or I will send the wrong message. But I can't just shout at it, it looks so harmless, and hardly in hunting mode. 

"Where did you come from?" I ask as if I were talking to a human. Perhaps I can get the wolf to find it in it's heart not to see me as food. "Are you lost?" I ask, we haven't had a wolf problem in this pat of town in a while; even with the woods a little under an hour drive away. The wolf stops a few feet in front of me and sits. Seeing as it wasn't going to charge, I step closer and hold my hand out to let it sniff me. The wolf nuzzles into my hand and offers his paw. 

"I'm Cole" I say shaking his paw. Who cares if he can't hear me? "Will you be my friend? I don't have any" The wolf nods, maybe he can understand me. "Do you live around here?" I ask it's ears. The wolf my hand and makes  asound somewhat resembling one of a dog's. Then a thought hits me, was this the dog my mother saw earlier? Maybe I should take this wolf to the pound before he causes anymore trouble, I think to myself. 

"Where's your pack? I ask the wolf, not expecting an answer. He shouldn't be alone, it isn't safe here. "I wish I could take you home with me, but there's already somebody staying with me..if he still wants to say with me" I add softly. Maybe Chanyeol was gone for good. I find myself wandering back in the direction of home; when something tugs at my shirt. 

"I have to go now" I say removing my shirt from the wolf's mouth. The wolf whines. "Be a good wolf and go back to your pack, they must be worried" I say trying to leave. I take a few steps forward before feeling the wolf nuzzle up against my side. 

"Go home" I say shooing him, I was begining to lose my patience. "You can't come back with me, my mom'll flip" I say trying to leave once more. Half way home I find that the wolf has followed me. The wolf sits loyal and looks at me. "Go away" I say louder "You can't come back with me" The wolf simply comes to me and my hand. That's when I lose it, I shove the wolf's face away and sprint the rest of the way. The wolf barks after me but I don't stop, I need to get home and shower or I will get in trouble this time. I'm nearly outside my house, when a giant weight attaches itself to my back, throwing me onto the front lawn. 

"Get off of me" I shout, as the weight shifts and moves in front of me. "What's gotten into you?" I askdusting myself off. The wolf my face until I fall backward, with it on my stomach. "But I can't stay mad at you" I giggle. "You're too" I add sitting up. "Now go be a good wolf and go home, I'll see you again soon" I say patting it's head. The wolf whimpers but backs off and walks away. I sigh and head inside. 

I walk inside my room, with only a towel on to see Chanyeol sitting on my bed. 

"Jesus" I shout nearly dropping my towel. "I didn't think you'd be back so soon" Chanyeol shrugs and puts his hands over his face so I can change. 

"You can look now" I say folding my towel. "Good boy" I say ruffling his hair, and then I remembered, I wasn't talking to the wolf anymore. "Stay up here and I'll get you some food" I say removing my hand and racing out of my room.