In My Way

Rainbow in The Dark

I open my eyes and see Chanyeol is gone once more. I wish he'd tell me where he goes, this'd be the second time he just disapeared. I get ready for school and trudge down the stairs; at least I had school to destract me from thinking about him. I look in the kitchen, the light's still on; my mother must've left early today. Skipping breakfast, I head out the door.

"Oh hello again" I say greeted by the wolf on my lawn; the same one from yesterday. "Did you come to follow me again?" I asks petting it's head. "I have to go to school today, but we can play after, ok?" I asks starting down the street. The wolf follows me, close by, acting as a hand rest. 

"Morning, Nicole" one of the neighbors calls. I wave to the woman who happens to be the mother of a boy in one of my classes. I stop in front of the house and see Ken walking down his porch. "Hey Col--" he's intterupted by growling next to me. I look down at the wolf who's moved from beside me to, snarling in front of me. 

"Is that your dog?" Ken asks stepping back. 

"He's a wolf and he's usually friendly" I say kneeling down to it's fur. "What's wrong buddy?" I asks softly, as the growling stops. "Sorry about that"

"What's his name?" Ken asks, still keeping his distance. 

"Uh Ch-Chanyeol" I say, why did I say that, I could have called the wolf any other name, why Chanyeol? I don't even know if the wolf is a boy. 

"That's a nice name" Ken says smiling "Wanna walk to school together?" I nod and start walking, Chanyeol quickly walking between us. "Are you ready for the math test today?" 

"No, I at calculating volume and surface area" I say pulling my hand away from Chanyeol's fur. 

"At least we're allowed to use calculators" Ken says walking ahead slightly. 

"Yeah"

"Well see you in class" Ken says at the gate. I wave and look down at Chanyeol. 

"Why are you acting this way?" I ask kneeling down in front of the wolf. "Is it because you don't like your name? Sorry, it was the first one that came to mind...I can't get the real Chanyeol off my mind" I say petting the wolf. "I have to go to class now, will you be a good boy and wait here for me?" Chanyeol nods before my face. I stand up and jog to class. 

~

My pen glides across the page, underlining 'Chanyeol' at the bottom of my test paper. I wasn't finished but I had given up a while ago and had gone to doodling the tiny images in my head that danced in my head all morning. Swirls outlined Chanyeol's name along with a few stars here and there. I just couldn't get him off my mind; in this case I meant the person and not the wolf. The way Chanyeol came and left my room as he pleased, added to his many mysteries; I wanted him to open up to me, but he hardly spoke. He just sent me longing glances the other evening while I finished up some left over homework. 

I stare out the window, my eyes widen when I Chanyeol looking at me. 'Go' I mouth towards the window; he tilts his head but continues to watch me. I know he can understand me, yet he refuses to move. I make a shooing motions but he simply places a hand to the window, looking like a lost dog. 'Go' I mouth one more time, but he doesn't move. My head jolts away from the window as my paper is torn out from under my hand. 

"Let us not have anymore wandering eyes, shall we Ms Nicole" My teacher says staring down at me. I nod and stare at my desk. "See me after school"

"Yes Sir" I say flatly. When I look back to the window, Chanyeol is gone, maybe I had just imagined him there. 

~

"Heads up" a voice says before something smashes on my head. I rub my head and pull reminants of an apple out of my hair. 

"I am so sorry" a familiar voice says, pretending to be dramatic. "Nicky, I hardly saw you, I was aiming for that boy over there"

"Sure you were" I say shaking apple bits off my hands. "And I told you not to call me Nicky, Brittany" I say glaring up at the blonde. If anybody loved to get under my skin, it was Brittany; and today she seemed to be a little more in my hair than usual, litterally. 

"Whatever" she rolls her eyes "Is that a new shirt?" She asks tugging lightly at the collar. 

"No, you've seen me wear it before" I say trying to focus on eating. 

"Really? It looks different somehow" she says using her acting voice. 

"It's a plain black shirt, like I usually wear" 

"I think you have something on it, hold on" she says, before hot liquid runs down my back. I turn to her, gawking. "Got it" she winks placing the empty bowl on my head and skipping off. My hands ball into fists as my shirt clings to my back. I stomp off to my locker, ignoring the looks from people and grab my sweater. I didn't have an extra shirt like I sometimes do, so I was just going to have to wait till I got home to change.

~

The rest of the day passes by slowly, with seeing Chanyeol occasionally pop up at a window; although I’m beginning to think that I’m just going crazy; there’s no way he could’ve known where my school is. After fourth period, I make my way back to math class for detention. 

"Come in" he says before I can knock on the open door. "Have a seat" my teacher says gesturing to the chair placed in front of his desk. I have a feeling, my teacher likes to pretend he is the prinicpal upon occassion. 

"Will you explain this?" My teacher asks holding up my test paper. "Who is Chanyeol,is he your boyfriend?"

"No" I say, why does he care? "He's my dog"

"I see, well you're not in trouble, but I would appreaciate it if you wouldn't make a clutter of your work in the future; this isn't art class" 

"Yes sir, sorry...sir" I say staring at the ground. 

"You may go" I stand and make a bee line for the door. Ken is at my locker once I arrive.

"Hey Cole" he says smiling. I wave and open my locker. I have a confession to make, I may just have the smallest teency tiniest thing for Ken; but he probably already knows, I wouldn't be surprised if Brittany has already blabbed it to him.

"What's up?" I ask trading off binders.

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?"

"No, why?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out after school" Ken says shutting my locker for me.

"Sure" I say trying not sound over excited. I didn't have any friends, human friends, so maybe I could swing a boyfriend; but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Ken and I exit the school laughing and stop when we see Chanyeol waiting outside the gate. 

"Uh you go ahead, I don't think your dog like me very much" Ken says taking a step back.

"Don't be silly, he's just being over protective, come here boy" I say patting my knees. Chanyeol comes to me quickly, jumping up to my face. 

"I'll see you tomorrow" Ken says jogging outside the school yard. 

"Come on Chanyeol, let's go home"