Complications (preview)

Rainbow in The Dark

"Different...different how?" I ask backing up slowly.

“I didn’t grow up in pack the way most wolves would;  I didn’t grow up with a family at… at least I don’t think. I followed under my previous leader when I was a pup; all I know is that something happened and I had to stay with him if I wanted to be safe”

 "Should I be...*gulp worried?"  I ask continuing to back up. This is getting trippy, why is he telling me this? Why does Chanyeol trust me not to give him away?

"No, the last thing I want is for you to be worried for me or scared of me. Please” he says in front of me once more. “Please trust me”

“No” I say abrupt. “T-there a-are wolves after you, y-you’re not bringing me i-into this”

“They don’t know where I am, I’m sure they’ve forgotten about me and want nothing to do with me”

“You just finished telling me that this other alpha wants you to join him, OF COURSE HE’S LOOKING FOR YOU” I shout only to have Chanyeol slap his hands over my mouth.

“Not in public babe, there are people staring” Chanyeol says, I pull Chanyeol’s hands off my mouth and see a couple staring at us nearby. “C’mon” he says wrapping an arm around my shoulders. Once we’re far enough away from the couple, I feel Chanyeol’s arms lift me and pull me to his chest.

“You don’t need to carry me” I say resting my head on his shoulder, prior to a yawn.

“But I want to” is all he says before we get back to my house.

“Cole...” he begins, placing me down on the top step of the porch.

“Chanyeol I told you, I don’t want to be a part of this” I say. I had let Chanyeol hold me the entire time but I needed to draw the line. “I can’t defend you against a bunch of wolves, I’m only human”

“You don’t have to; right now I just need to someone to hold” Chanyeol says taking me in his arms once more. I can feel my heart beat double in pace.

“I… don’t know what to say”

“Say that you’ll let me be a part of your life” he says in my ear. I nod slightly not knowing what else to do. A logical thinker would cry insanity, a realistic thinker would question everything I’ve seen in the last 24 hours…but I don’t know what to think. A part of me wants this, I’ve always wanted a dog, a wolf is close enough right? The other part of me wants to forget Chanyeol altogether, I can’t imagine what I’m getting being anything less than complicated.

“You should probably go somewhere else tonight” I say staring at the ground.

“Oh… okay” Chanyeol says letting go of me; the warmth leaves my front and by the time I look up, he’s gone. As it turned out, my mom had gone to bed already, and it would’ve been safe for Chanyeol; but he was already gone. I look out the window, and see the walkway between the two houses, empty. I wonder where he went.

I get changed and slip into bed, secretly hoping Chanyeol will come in any second… but he actually listened to me this time. I close my eyes and let my mind slip away to a dreamless state. My body’s asleep but my mind’s awake, I’m paralyzed in a state of confusion. My body tenses as a face comes into view in my mind. I see someone there, standing in the shadows; I can’t see their face, only their silhouette. The body doesn’t move, it simply stands there, watching me I can imagine; I only begin to become scared when moves closer to me and in a loud whisper it says “You will be MINE”.

I jolt to sitting, lightly coated in sweat; that was one weird dream. I find myself relaxing slightly when the body next to me sits up and my cheek.

“Are you okay?” Chanyeol asks. I nod, un bothered by the fact that he had just been sleeping in my bed without my permission.

“Go back to sleep” Chanyeol says pulling me down on to his chest. I turn in and look up at the werewolf, his eyes already closed again. I try to back away but his arms are locked; I can’t do anything but put my hands on his chest and lean in.

~

When I open my eyes Chanyeol is still sleeping, his grip loose enough for me to break. I crawl off the bed and get ready for school. Chanyeol is still sleeping when I’m dressed and ready to go. Not thinking I quickly lean over kiss him on the forehead.