曾在月光之下望烟花 used to watch fireworks under the moon

Get Over You

Linda arrived in her apartment and found that Charlene was not home yet from work. She decided to listen to one of Gem’s albums since she found it curious to find her sister so desperate for the album. She unravelled the newest one “My Secret” because it seemed more interesting deciding to listen to the other two later it had let out some sort of mysterious aroma towards her. She walked into Charlene’s room and placed the other two discs on Charlene’s bedroom table. The picture on Charlene’s desk reminded her to pay her parents a visit on the weekend. How much she had missed them. It seemed somehow secretive. She inserted her disc into the music player and turned up the volume. She listened to the first song ‘good to be bad’. It seemed to have lifted her liveliness again. She finished the first and realised the potential and that she was really good singer/artist in Hong Kong. The second song, as she looked at the back of the disc had been named Get Over You. These were exactly the three words that Linda had felt right now. She pressed play and started to listen to it.

 

曾在月光之下望烟花
曾共看夕阳渐降下
要怎么将一切放下我怎么舍得去放下
曾在风中漫步沙滩
曾在烛光里共晚餐
记起当天温暖对白这一刻发觉太偏差
i wanna get over you
tell me what i have to do
提醒过自己删掉记忆通通不记起
wanna get over you
but i just cannot make it through
怎么可怎么可心死
how do i get over you
仍自欺于旧日之间
仍未信热茶易冷淡
我根本不想要放下你怎么狠心要放下
现在深宵独自瑟缩
在已弃置无人空屋
你最终要走唯独我不太愿接受
想等他转身我太天真
想更加抱紧却更伤心
想过抽了身无奈我戒不起心瘾
想找一个人随接近
将这一个心填密缺憾
不过竟更加怀念你昨天一
wanna get over you
i wanna get over you
but i cannot make it through

She listened to the song over and over again as her tears came flowing out. This song described her situation. She turned off the music and went to bed. The next morning, she had downloaded the song from itunes and had loaded it to her phone and ipod. Now she could easily access it wherever she had went.

Walking into Charlene’s room, she had found that Charlene still lay in her bed. Linda’s first instinct reacted

“Hey, leng mui (young lady)get up, you have work today don’t you?”

“Sis, don’t you remember what day it is today?”

“What is it?”

“New years eve! How can you forget?”

“I was too busy in my mind. Anyway, breakfast is ready, you can come out.”

“By the way” Charlene said, as Linda turned around in response,

“Thank You, I love you.”

“No problem, her songs are pretty good anyway.”

“They’re not just good, they’re crazy!”

“Just hurry up will you?”

[Apartment Kitchen]

“It’s really new years EVE?” Linda asked while staring at the calendar on the wall just opposite the open kitchen.

“Why would I lie to you?”

“True, do you have any plans for tonight?”

“I am going home to pick some things up and then I am meeting with everyone and singing Karaoke at CEO.”

“I think I remember Janice mentioning something about it but somehow I think I have forgotten what it was.”They both chatted as they both finished their breakfast of eggs and sausages. Both of them were heading out. Linda assumed that it was going to be a boring day after all. She could not really recall what she had done last New Year’s Eve. Maybe she did not want to recall.

They both left the apartment and walked to the Mong Kong east train station.  They both stopped at a newspaper stand and looked at the headlines of magazines. She remembered the dreadful times when she had seen on the cover of the magazines, her love, her boyfriend with yet another girl. A model this time, apparently the main character pan shuang shuang had taken photos of them in bed. As the heir to a large company, of course it would be the hit for a magazine cover. Thinking back to it,  the stabbing sensation of a knife returned to her. She dropped the feeling by staring into the magazine again. She lost track of thought until her ringtone went off “I’ll be waiting for you…….”

“Hello, Janice?”

“Hey, you remember our date tonight? Don’t tell me you forgot, Niki and Fala have been nagging me over and over again to remind you. I’ll put them on the line”

“LINDA!!!!! HIIIIII!!!! I can’t wait, we’ll be watching fireworks at Niki’s after you visit your parents.”

“Hi guys. I forgot I’m sorry.”

“So forgetful” Niki sighed

“I told you Janice, didn’t believe me.”

“What’s Charlene doing?”

“She’s singing karaoke with her friends.”

“Meet you tonight.”

[Niki’s roof top.]

“CHEERS!!!” the girls cheered.

“It’s been so long since our four leaf clovers gathered.”

“We promised every second year though.”

“ELEVEN ‘O CLOCK!!! Secret sharing time” Janice exclaimed.

“Where’s the box?” Fala asked Niki as they both sat on the swing.

“Here!!!”

“I’ll go first!!! ME! I get to pick first?” she pulled out a star that was folded and unravelled the star paper and handed the slip to Linda.

“Why did you break up in your last relationship?” Linda read out loud smiling already knowing the answer.

“What? Of course, I got sick of him. He is only a trainee pilot, who does he think he is? It’s your turn Linda.” Linda did the same and handed the slip to Janice.

“If you had a free holiday to wherever you want, where would it be?”

“You never got this one before; I remember I had it twice, but different years so the answer was different.”

“Me? Currently, I want to go to Maldives. Somewhere peaceful, beautiful and do things that will make me wash my memories as the waves flow by the tide.”

“Why don’t we all go together?”

 

“Ten, nine…….four three two…” everyone held their breath

“HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!” the girls screamed at each other and hugged. The fireworks showcased themselves in the sky in an ensemble accompanied by the gasps, wows and cries of the crowd. Niki pointed at one of the fireworks and asked Linda

“What does that look like?”

“I don’t know. Does it look like a flower?”

“Wow, this year has started well.” Janice expressed clapping her hands together and stared at the sky. Linda slowly drifted off on the lane of memory when she thought she saw a firework in the shape of a love heart. She allowed the gate to open to what she did last year.

[Flashback]

[Langham place Hong Kong, Mong Kok]

“Five four three two one”

“Happy new year, I have a feeling that this year will be a sweet one for us.” Raymond whispered to Linda as he kissed her on the forehead embracing her in his own arms.

“How sweet will it be?”

“Sweeter than chocolate and the sweetest thing in the world”

“Wow!” Linda then blocked her ears as a loud firework exposed itself to the public in Hong Kong.

“Listen Linda, I want to always be there for you when you are scared, the one who protects you, the one who blocks your ears when you hear loud fireworks.”Raymond confessed. Linda nodded and kissed Raymond on the cheek.

“Only? What about this side? How about, let’s play a game whoever can work out what the other person thinks the firework looks like, will win and if I win, I need a kiss hear” Raymond indicated his own lip.

“Fine, I will not let you win. I’ll go first.”

“I’m the gentleman, as always” as Linda gave Raymond a light slap on the arm.

“That one.”

“a lily?”

“No, a cauliflower.”

“That one right there, what does it look like?”

“A smiley face?”

“I thought it was a choc chip cookie.”

After a few turns, Raymond prepared for his last round.

“This time lets change the rules, if you can’t guess this one, I win.”

“Ok”

“That one”

“A diamond?”

“Wrong, it was a love heart.”

“How? Prove it.”

“Watch me.” Raymond reached up pretended to pick something out of the sky and dangled the necklace in front of Linda’s face. The necklace had a pendant in the shape of a heart with a crystals on it making it seem like a firework.

“Look closely.” Raymond whispered. Linda could not believe her eyes.

“How did you? When did you? Oh my gosh!”      Linda hugged Raymond and screamed

“I LOVE YOU!!!! You won not only my game but my heart.”

“Let me try, I LOVE LINDA CHUNG NO MATTER WHERE SHE IS SHE HAS MY HEART WITH HER!!!!”

A tear came out of the corner of Linda’s eye. She could not control her emotions, her memories or her actions. Once again the song Get over you played inside Linda’s mind. Slowly the energy in her legs departed her. Niki looked over at Linda who was falling to the ground.

“LINDA!!!” she heard. She closed her eyes and she was in a world where she was once again with her true love. Here, she danced around with Raymond under the mild sun to their heart’s rhythm it seemed like a never ending dream she did not feel tired, she wanted to be like this forever.