Honest Heart, Twisted Tongue

I'm Here To Love You

                Daehyun shifted on the bed, squeezing the fluffy thing against his chest. He snuggled his face into the soft fur-like round thing and hummed in content. It felt like a really big dog; squishy and warm and cuddly. He had wished to own one at home but there’s nobody to look after it when he went back to his dorm. If only this school dormitory allowed pet…

                Daehyun’s lids cracked open. The alleged to be soft fur turned out to be jet black hair which belonged to the person he shared the bed with last night. And that person was none other than his roommate. Zelo’s face was plastered onto his chest as he was tightly hugging the younger boy’s head, while his waist was firmly enfolded in Zelo’s long arms.

                “His body suddenly repelled from the larger body like the opposite ends of magnets. He was scrambling away to escape Zelo’s grasp, looking like a squirming worm with flailing hands. But when he forgot about the actual size of the bed, he ended up falling off to the floor with a loud yelp. “Uwaaaaaa!!!”

                “Woaaahhhh!!” Zelo’s head jerked up. The loud scream had woken him up by surprise. He quickly had a look around in his groggy state of mind and found nothing strange in his room. “Woah…?” His brow crinkled, very much confused about the weird current situation.

                “Urgh…”

                Zelo turned to the source of groaning sound. He dragged himself towards the edge of the bedside and finally found his human alarm clock. But why was his roommate sprawled on the floor?

                “What’s up, hyung?” He asked with fascination.

Daehyun who was not aware of the other’s presence above him darted his eyes to the said boy. His face instantly flushed as he remembered the way he woke up just now. “Nothing!” He replied a little too loud than he should.

                Zelo pursed his lips, not really buying the answer he got. His roommate should at least apologize for waking him up like it’s the end of the world. He could already be dead right now if he had a weak heart.

Daehyun hastily pulled himself up from the floor. He went to grab his towel and made his way to the bathroom. “I’m going out with Youngjae. You can go back to sleep!” He said before shutting the door after him.

                Zelo’s eyebrow arched up as he watched every move of the older boy. He always knew Daehyun could be a klutz sometimes but the latter was being extra this Saturday morning. A smile tugged on his lips before he curled into the sheet again. Daehyun was being a real cutie, making his affections towards him grew deeper today.

                On the other hand, Daehyun was using the actual function of a shower as the best place to think. And throughout the shower that morning, he just kept wondering why did it feel so nice, so warm, so natural to sleep with Zelo like that.

 

 

(。◕‿◕。)

 

 

                Zelo was still in his dreamland when Daehyun left the room. He and Youngjae promised to meet at the school bus stop but then he always knew that best friend of his was never early for any occasion. So he might as well go to Youngjae’s room first. He didn’t even know whether the boy had woken up or not since his text messages never got a reply.

                Daehyun made his way to the lower floor where Youngjae’s room was at. But he almost forgot that Yongguk was also staying on the same floor and the older boy liked to play with his cell phone while sitting in his room’s doorway.

                His steps came to a halt when Yongguk looked up at him. The student council’s president seemed to be very surprised to see him right there. He saw Yongguk’s lips quivered as if he wanted to say something but nothing came out from his mouth.

                Daehyun averted his gaze to the ground. “Excuse me,” He muttered before resuming his walk.

                Yongguk quickly pulled his body forward from leaning against the doorframe. “Wait!”

                Daehyun stopped in his track again. He heard some shuffling behind him, fully aware that Yongguk was slowly approaching him. When he could almost feel the warmth of the other body against his back, Yongguk stopped walking.

                “I’m sorry for what I’ve done,” Yongguk said after a while of gaining some courage.

                It was hard for Daehyun to believe what the older boy had said. Maybe Yongguk had apologized for a couple of times before but it never sounded so genuine like this.

                “I don’t want to lose my precious childhood friend,” Yongguk added when he didn’t get a response.

                Daehyun couldn’t see Yongguk’s face when his back was facing the latter but he could clearly hear the sincerity in the older boy’s voice. He inhaled a deep breath, taking a moment to think of his reply. His arms were folded across his chest as he turned around.

                “I’ll forgive you but in one condition,” He stated and Yongguk raised his brows quizzically.

               “Don’t play around like that anymore. You’ve hurt my best friend enough. If you don’t love him, don’t give him any false hope. Stop doing things on the bed with him,” He commanded.

                Yongguk was listening so carefully that he looked like he was being scolded by a teacher. Then he eagerly nodded at the younger boy.

                “Promise me you’ll at least try,” Daehyun asked.

                Yongguk carved a reassuring smile when Daehyun's tone wasn't as cold as before. “I’ll try. I promise.”

 

 

(。◕‿◕。)

 

 

                Weekday started again and Daehyun found himself at the library again. He was tutoring Zelo as usual but this time, the boy chose to sit across the table. He was weirded out because it was always the other way around. And every time he happened to do it, Zelo would find any possible way to sit close next to him.

                Daehyun’s mouth unconsciously formed a pout. He was waiting for the younger boy to finish his exercises while propping up his chin on his arm against the table. Somehow, he felt boring not having Zelo’s attention on him and that made him recalled about that night when he cried because he felt so lonely when Zelo acted like he didn’t exist.

                Daehyun helplessly blushed at his own thought. It was still embarrassing for him every time the scene of him crying in front of Zelo crossed his mind. But if this situation continued, would he end up crying again?

                His pout was becoming more and more ridiculous until he decided to do something that would probably attract Zelo’s attention. So he slowly stood up, causing the latter to direct his gaze on him.

                “I’m going to find some reference books,” He said and Zelo just nodded at him before going back to his exercise.

                Daehyun’s eyes narrowed at his roommate after receiving the very casual response. He then made his way in search of the feigned reference book. But after stopping in one of the aisle, he purposely waited for a long time so that Zelo would come to check on him.

               He was pretty confident when the first few minute passed but when it was taking a longer time than he could bear, longer than the time Zelo had come to find him the other day, he finally gave up. In the end, he got no choice but to return to their table.

                It made his eyes twitched in annoyance seeing Zelo still immersed in completing his work after he reached the table. He even had to knock the table when the boy didn’t notice him standing right before his eyes. Zelo looked up with raised eyebrows.

                “I need your help,” Daehyun said.

                “With what?”

                “I can’t reach that book,” Daehyun didn’t know where did that come from but using the same reason as before didn’t seem like a bad idea.

                Zelo easily complied, following Daehyun to the bookshelf before taking the book from the uppermost part.

                “Anything else?” Zelo asked, holding the book in mid-air next to his head.

               Daehyun intentionally nodded and pointed to another book on the other shelf. Zelo took it. Then he pointed to another book, then another, then another. Coincidently, the books were all so thick and heavy and now there were a total of ten of them in Zelo’s arms.

                Daehyun finally stopped when Zelo didn’t complain about his demanding act even in the slightest bit. Only then he realized that he might be bullying his roommate with the amount of thick books which were stacked from Zelo’s stomach to his chin.

                He quickly offered himself to take some of the books. “Here, let me carry some of those.”

                Zelo shook his head. “It’s okay, I got them,” He convinced the older boy. “Are these all?”

                Daehyun nodded and Zelo started to walk with the heavy burden to their table. He followed the boy from behind, his heart tingling with Zelo’s gentle act. He felt that Zelo really cared for him but that made him felt guilty at the same time for making the boy do a tiring useless stuff.

 

 

 

                Their next study sessions were followed with the same things, be it in the school garden or in their room. But there’s one thing Daehyun had discovered in which every time they ended up sitting next to each other, Zelo would avoid making any body contact with him.  He wasn’t that sure at first, thinking that he could be wrong in judging Zelo’s gestures.

                So he ran a test by wittingly leaning his body closer until it touched the other. After repeating it over and over again, he was confirmed that Zelo would subtly create a distance between them every time he did that. It was so obvious of Zelo to avoid touching him and he was annoyed as hell.

                He wondered if Zelo had taken seriously when he told him to stop all the teasing because this thin awkward air started to exist after they shared a bed together that night. If it’s true, then he regretted saying that. He hated this new formed wall between them and really wanted to get rid of it because he was just that type of person who wanted to be comfortable with everybody he knew.

                Therefore that night, when Zelo was taking a rest on his bed, lying on his back while playing with his cell phone, Daehyun decided to bring up a topic just so that they could talk and maybe returned to their normal selves back.

                Daehyun sat on his bed, facing Zelo’s and began to speak. “Zelo…?” The boy turned to him, wearing a quizzical look on his face. “Do you remember when I cried that one night?” He asked.

                Zelo’s brow furrowed as he tried to recall it. A smirk slowly appeared on his lips. “When you’re in need of my attention?”

                There it was, the teasing smirk. Daehyun was all giddy when he saw it but he refrained himself from showing it all over his face. “That’s…that’s only a part of it… I just felt lonely and sad,” He frankly admitted.

                “Why?” Zelo started to get seriously curious that he had sat up properly on his bed.

                “I met Youngjae and we talked. He told me his story and I realized everything was not the way I thought it’d be. He apologized and I forgave him,” Daehyun explained briefly.

                “So you guys are back to being friends right now?”

                “We’re best friends again,” Daehyun grinned.

                “Ah…so that’s why,” Zelo nodded in acknowledgement. “I found it weird when you said you’re going out with Youngjae hyung last weekend but I was too sleepy to ask you about it,” He added and continued. “And that night when you wet your bed-”

                “I didn’t wet my bed. I spilled water on it,” Daehyun interrupted with pouting lips.

                “Yeah, yeah,” Zelo waved it off. “That night I wondered why you’d go to share a bed with Youngjae hyung when you guys weren’t in good terms. That’s why I forced you to share a bed with me,” He confessed.

                Daehyun thought that it was his fault for not telling his roommate sooner about him and Youngjae. “I should’ve told you earlier about it,” He sighed.

                “You did the right thing, hyung,” Zelo moved a little bit forward until he could ruffle Daehyun’s hair. “I’m proud of you.”

                Daehyun felt his heart clenched at Zelo’s smile. He was the older one but he always had this overjoyed feelings when Zelo praised and cared for him. He relied on the younger boy more than he thought and that side of Zelo melted his insides.

                “And one more thing, Yongguk hyung…” Daehyun said and Zelo’s smile faded, making him wondered if he chose the wrong time to mention about the student council’s president. “He apologized.”

                Zelo slowly nodded his head in acknowledgement. “And what did you say?”

                “I forgive him.”

                “You’re friends again with him too?”

                “Yeah… He’s my childhood friend after all,” Daehyun shrugged.

                “That’s good,” Zelo smiled but it seemed like it was forced.

                Daehyun was frustrated at how their conversation was ended by his roommate just like that. Zelo went back to his previous activity, leaving Daehyun to be unsure if he had made things better or worse between them.

 

 

(。◕‿◕。)

 

 

                Daehyun was standing in the corner at the back of the hall where the motivational program was held. It was handled by the student council entirely a well-known speaker was invited to give some inspiration for the students who would be sitting for their examinations soon.

                Maybe Daehyun was the one with the reporter position in the student council but he also had his subordinates and their jobs included taking pictures as well as collecting information. Daehyun then would write the full article about the event as the school bulletin but that would be done after he had interviewed the motivational speaker later on.

                Daehyun was gesturing to his photographer to go closer to the stage when Youngjae came to him. The secretary didn’t bother to take notes to complete the report after this since he had left a video camera on a stand in front of the stage. There were just the two of them at the same spot as some of the members were spread all over the hall and the rest of them were keeping watch from the backstage.

                “I don’t expect for him to come,” Youngjae whispered, standing shoulder to shoulder with his best friend while pointing at a certain boy among the many rows of students sitting on their chairs.

                The program was opened for all students from every grade so the main huge hall was totally occupied with them. But this person Youngjae was referring to was really easy to detect with his tall height even when he was sitting down.

                Daehyun’s eyes landed exactly on the said boy because he knew Youngjae would bring up this topic after he had told the latter everything about his roommate during their last outing together. And also, it was because he had been staring at that boy since the beginning, even if all he could see was the back of his head.

                “I told him this program is beneficial for him,” Daehyun muttered with a shrug.

                Youngjae chewed his lips to bit back his laughter before bringing them closer to Daehyun’s ear. “He listens to you so well.”

                Blood rushed up from Daehyun’s neck to his cheeks and then his ears before his whole face became red. The way Youngjae said it sounded like he was already in a relationship with Zelo for a long time. Then he remembered how he had always told Zelo to wake up early so that they could go have breakfast together. And the boy didn’t wake up late again after that. When he asked him to join the student council trip, Zelo just complied with him. When he wanted to be his tutor, Zelo simply agreed. When he told him to get those reference books, Zelo also obeyed him. And when he told him to stop teasing, Zelo really listened to him.

                Wait, were those things normal between rommates? Did he just think of being a couple with Zelo just now? Daehyun almost sigh at his thoughts but the other boy interrupted his jumbled up mind.

                “Have you considered him to be your lover?” Youngjae had asked.

                Daehyun turned to his side to see Youngjae fixing his gaze intently on him. He wanted to say that actually, he just considered about it in half a minute ago. But he wasn’t sure about Zelo and himself as lovers. So he just shrugged his shoulders as an answer.

                “You’ve got to be kidding me!” Youngjae exclaimed in a hushed tone. His eyes wide as he gaped at Daehyun with disbelief. “A boy as handsome as him? As tall as him? Chest as broad as him? Look at that jawline! It can cut off your ego in one slash!”

                “Shhh!! Shut up!” Daehyun sent a glare to the nagging boy before rolling his eyes back to the front. Youngjae only scoffed at him while shaking his head.

               Daehyun tried to pay attention to the speaker because it would be useful for him too as he would be taking exams like every other students. However, his focus eventually changed to the very same boy. He just observed Zelo. The boy was only talking to Jongup. It made him noticed that Zelo didn’t have any friend. He wondered if it was to hide his real identity, he wondered if Jongup knew about it too.

                But then what made him so special to know everything about the boy. Why did Zelo only tell him about his true identity? What did Zelo like about him? Was it because they were roommates? What if they didn’t share a room in the first place? Would Zelo still like him the way he was right now?

 

 

(。◕‿◕。)

 

 

                Day by day, time slowly passed and now there was only a week until the final examination. Along that time, Daehyun was absolutely frustrated at how Zelo was still acting normal towards him. It was as if nothing happened between them and Daehyun didn’t know what to feel about that.

                But instead of wondering about Zelo’s feelings, he began to ask the questions that he had directed towards Zelo before to himself. What if he didn’t meet Zelo? Would he still be crushing on Yongguk till now?

                Since their first kiss and so on, Daehyun actually knew something like this would happen. If they didn’t like each other, the kiss wouldn’t be two-sided and felt so amazing. He didn’t think about this back then but now, he realized that he might be giving himself and Zelo some time to blend with each other as he tried to erase Yongguk’s name in his heart. But Zelo chose to come forward first, telling his feeling genuinely and Daehyun thought it might be too fast at first.

                Zelo had taught him that love couldn’t wait. And now since he didn’t have any affection towards Yongguk anymore, he might just end the wait because truthfully, it felt like Zelo came here just to love him and that thought always made his heart beat faster in a pleasant way. Maybe he really had fallen in love too.

                “Are you ready?” Daehyun asked, referring to the upcoming exams as they were studying together at his desk again.

                “Not really,” Zelo jutted out his bottom lips without linking their eyes.

                “Don’t worry, we’ll go full speed within this one week,” Daehyun encouraged with sincere smile.

                “Yes, sir,” Zelo nodded, still not lifting his head from the worksheet.

                Daehyun chewed on his lips. He’s really yearning for Zelo to treat him nicer. He wanted more than this. But the younger boy didn’t bother to even look in his eyes. So he braved himself to ask. “Zelo…? Are you possibly mad at me?”

                Zelo finally stopped writing and looked up to his roommate with creased forehead. “Mad at you? Why?”

                “I don’t know…” Daehyun casted his gaze down and shrugged his shoulders. “You… you aren’t like before…”

                “Like what?” Zelo urged, leaning closer to Daehyun since the older boy was muttering.

                “You know… like…” Daehyun pondered about a subtle way to say it but gave up halfway. “Aish…” He scratched his head in frustration because it looked like he needed to say it in a straightforward way. “You always avoid me when I’m close to you,” He said as he fixed his gaze on the other.

                Zelo seemed to be slightly taken aback by Daehyun’s honest words. He then let out a heavy sigh before properly turning to Daehyun. “It’s because I like you,” His reason caused the latter’s cheeks to reddened.

                “You don’t know how hard I keep my hands to myself when we shared the bed that night,” Zelo added. “Being in the same bed with the person I like, how do you think I would feel? After that night, I tried to have more self-control or else you would’ve hated me right now for the things I’d do to you.”

                Daehyun blushed harder under Zelo’s sharp stare. He knew what Zelo meant by that and he couldn’t help but felt embarrassed thinking that the younger boy had the intentions to do those things to him. But in reality, Zelo didn’t do anything to him until now, showing that the boy really respected him. Zelo was very thoughtful of him and it made him admired the boy so much more.

                “Would you…” Daehyun hesitated before quickly clearing his throat. “Would you like me to cheer you up?”

                Zelo’s eyebrow arched up with interest. “For what?”

                “Just… for you to…study hard…” Daehyun replied shyly.

                “How would you do it?” Zelo asked keenly.

                “I don’t know…” Daehyun was flustered, his face was burning. “Wh-what do you want?”

                Zelo could obviously see that his roommate was getting shy. He just couldn’t hold himself and started to tease the older boy. “What do you think?” He smirked.

                Daehyun gave thought on it for a moment. The only thing Zelo had ever asked from him as a reward was a kiss. Though he was really embarrassed, he just had to take a guess. “A… A kiss?”

                “I didn’t say that,” Zelo shrugged, still having his sly smile.

                However, all the smug were wiped off his face when it was suddenly grabbed by the other boy. Daehyun was cupping his cheeks and there’s fire in his eyes. Then out of nowhere, their lips were crashed together.

                The fleeting kiss lasted for seconds before Daehyun broke them apart. He had the normal expression with pink tinted cheeks whereas the younger boy was totally dumbfounded by the sudden random kiss.

                “What the…” Zelo blinked his eyes rapidly while trying to decipher what just happened to him.

                “I hope you’re very much encouraged by now,” Daehyun said in a casual way.

                Zelo’s face turned bitter. “I am but you know my feelings towards you, right? So you shouldn’t take it lightly.”

                “I’m not taking it lightly,” Daehyun quickly argued.

                Seeing the very serious but genuine look on Daehyun’s face made Zelo’s eyes widened in surprise. “Seriously?!”

                Daehyun frowned, starting to feel irritated because he just did the most embarrassing thing to his roommate. “I’m not serious if I didn’t kiss you for the fourth time!”

                Zelo’s lips slowly curled up into a grin. Daehyun wanted to laugh at the over excited boy but what showed on his face was a scowl. “You look stupid. Go back to your studying,” He ordered before turning back to his exercise book.

                Daehyun’s tone could be harsh but Zelo knew his older roommate didn’t really mean it because of the deep blush on his pretty face. “Thank you, hyung,” He was still grinning broadly and Daehyun chose to ignore it.

                “And actually, that’s not our fourth kiss. That’s the fifth,” Zelo added with a smirk.

                “What?!”Daehyun’s head whipped towards Zelo, looking extremely in shock because as far as he counted, the times they had kissed didn’t reach that number. Could it be that his roommate had kissed him when he wasn’t conscious?

                “I told you I lack of self-control,” Zelo reasoned before standing up from his chair. “And now I have to go to the bathroom to settle down my aroused problem,” He announced as he made his way to the said place.

                Daehyun felt like his head would burst like a freaking volcano. His face was dangerously hot and he really wanted to melt into a puddle right now. What the hell did his roommate think he could do in their shared bathroom?! He furiously turned in his seat and shouted. “Zelo, you idiot! I’m right here, you idiot!!”

                Zelo who had already disappeared into bathroom opened the door back. “Let’s settle it together then,” He suggested with a wolfish grin on his face.

                Daehyun’s eyes widened staring at the younger boy charging towards him. “Wait!! Why are you even aroused in the first place?!” He didn’t get a reply when he was suddenly tackled onto the bed, causing him to let out a high-pitched squeal. Well, that’s what he got from calling Zelo out of the bathroom.

 

 

(。◕‿◕。)ノ

 

 


 

A/N :

finally daelo!! hahaha

thank you to upvoters, subscribers, readers and comments! ♥♥♥