Starting to Crack

Destructive and Beautiful

           "You know of all the potential students I interviewed, you were the least boring," the recruiter said matter-of-factly.

           I wasn't sure how I should feel about the way she phrased that but I thanked her and flashed a typical Jongsuk smile. To think I actually learned something useful from the bastard.

           "What really intrigued me, though, was that you listed your best friend as your inspiration. The answer is so...down-to-earth? That's refreshing, actually," she said, a hint of awe. "You know what the person before you put down? Hilary Clinton. And the person before? Nelson Mendela. God, how cliche can you get?"

           I chuckled as if it was a response and rubbed the back of my neck, hoping that the recruiter didn't see how damn nervous I am. Even though I want to be on her good graces, I sure as hell wasn't going to on guys I didn't know. Besides, even if it's cliche, Hilary Clinton is a brilliant politician and former defense lawyer and Nelson Mendela was a revolutionary. Both are quite inspirational but I guess they would be pretty typical answers for someone who wants to get into law school.

           I can tell the recruiter was the hardass type who liked "fresh" responses and anything that didn't surprise her would probably turn her off. You know, one of those people who craved ingenuity. I bet she would be hell on heels in the courtroom. It didn't take much to tell that she was probably a spitfire.

           After a moment of complete silence, she leaned forward on the desk, a look of surprise on her face. She searched my eyes and her eyes told me that she was expecting something - something I hadn't given it to her. I swallowed and it felt like my adam's apple was 10 times heavier and my saliva thicker. My throat felt dry. She was either downright intimidating or I was basically having a silent panic attack.

          "Huh," she huffed, "And you didn't even try to sweet talk me nor put down the other candidates by validating my opinions." She leaned back like it was weird. Did most people do that? I don't know how that makes me feel considering I'm not the last one to be interviewed and there will be people behind me who might judge me for putting Jongsuk, my best friend, as my inspiration.

          Honestly, I didn't know who else to put. My dad is my hero, yes, but the only reason why I started getting interested in law was because of Jongsuk. He also told me that I should work for him when he inherits Diadem Industries and I don't think it's a half-bad idea. But even then, I still want my law degree and protect him against any legal harm - if he so chooses to be dumb in any executive decision...

          "I love that! Look at you, little one!" The recruiter exclaimed and I blinked, extremely confused. Was I missing something? Of course I wouldn't sweet talk her. She's a lawyer and a professor, for crying out loud, she could probably smell bull the moment I tried and I wouldn't want to validate her opinion because it doesn't agree with me anyway.

           "Well Woobin, I've taken a liking to you. Plus the other kids had no backbone for Columbia, even if it's undergrad. I'd like to offer you place in our program. The offer is on the table for 48 hours and then we will contact you for your final decision. I hope you will be joining us in New York next Fall."



          Between the 6th and 7th tequila shot I took, which is the most alcohol I've ever consumed, I made out with some random girl. She was very pretty with pearl white teeth and bright, flawless skin. I mean, it could be the alcohol that made her attractive in my brain but kissing felt good. But even while I was kissing her, I could only think about the one person I was trying to forget about.

          Woobin.

         I avoided him all week and skirted around any information he wanted to relay to me about his Columbia interview. All I could think about was how much he had been contemplating going to New York and how long he had kept that secret from me. But it wasn't only just that, I'm not a fool. I know myself pretty well and I know it's partially because of Joo Inhwa. I didn't even know Woobin had another childhood friend besides me.

         I sound like a self-centered child, I admit that, but I've always known that maybe one day, Woobin and I will end up like Woobin and Inhwa. Nothing but childhood friends whom will probably never become as close as they used to. Everything is so fragile, even with years and years of memories made together. If lovers and best friends can become complete stranger in just a matter of time, who says it won't happen to childhood friends.

        "You want to get out of here? I have a hotel room across the street," the girl said to me in a hushed and seductive voice. It didn't really or anything but she rubbed her hand on my thigh, dangerously close to my crotch and even though it's probably a terrible idea, I wanted a distraction. I said yes.



           It was like my Jongsuk senses were tingling and I could just tell something bad was going to happen today. I went over to his mansion, just to check up on him because he'd been avoiding me all week. I wanted to tell him what I decided to do.

           When I arrived, his little brother was confused by my presence there. Kyungsuk was under the impression that his older brother was with me but did find it odd that Jongsuk had gone to the bars with a fake ID the other night, coming home extremely plastered. Jongsuk had told Kyungsuk that everything was under control and for years that was code for "Woobin is with me." I couldn't help but worry, not only for his behavior, but that there was a strange bro-code concerning me and I was some kind of clean up crew.

           I asked Kyungsuk if he remembered the name of the bar and he said he remembered his brother mentioning, "La Luna" which is high end bar across the street from one of Jongsuk's parents most luxurious hotels. I told Kyungsuk not to worry and that I would call him if I found his brother. I am going to wring Jongsuk's skinny neck when I find him, screw the 10 years of friendship.

           I was on the bus 15 minutes until I was in one of the most expensive tourist town in Korea which is lined with expensive clothing boutiques, fancy restaurants, and high-end bars. I could see the bright, jewel encrusted sign that screamed "La Luna" and when I got close, I noticed Jongsuk and a pretty girl making their way towards the hotel. No one could miss those chicken legs. Jongsuk was stumbling, completely inebriated, and the girl could barely hold his weight. I ran over to them.

           "Jongsuk, what the are you doing?" I yelled at him, taking him off the girls hands. She looked really confused.

           "He's fine," she said, "he's coming to my place."

            I eyed her and nodded no. "He's not fine and I'm actually going to take my best friend home. Noona, you look probably around early to mid-20s, he's actually a minor. I wouldn't recommend inviting him over because, well, sleeping with a minor is illegal."

             "He's a minor?" she wrinkled her nose. "Ugh, take him. I can't believe I kissed a child," she said angrily and stomped to the hotel in her 5 inch heels. I reaffirmed my grip so that Jongsuk wouldn't fall on his face and saw that maybe it was best that I take him to his parents hotel anyway. Hopefully Mr. Jang was on duty today.

             He's the manager of the hotel and if I asked him nicely, I think he would keep Jongsuk's illegal drinking a secret from his parents. Plus he'd also give Jongsuk a hotel room he could stay in until he sobered up. I couldn't afford one of those rooms, even if I tried for 10 years.



          My head is throbbing when I wake up in one of my parents hotel rooms. I look around to see that the girl was not with me but I couldn't remember when she left or if I did anything. I don't even remember the name of the girl. When I sat up, I noticed a jacket on the chair and I knew immediately that something other than happened. The jacket was Woobin which meant Woobin was here.

         Sure enough he comes out of the bathroom, shirtless. His abs much more defined than I remembered it. Another reminder that we're no longer little kids anymore.

         "So, you're finally up," Woobin said dryly.

         "And you're shirtless," I answered.

         "You threw up on it, bastard," Woobin said through clenched teeth. I could tell he was seething with anger but he was trying not to be. There was veins at his temple and I can tell that this probably won't go well. But I deserve it. I'm a stupid brat with zero tolerance for people leaving me. I know Woobin will leave me.

         I sighed and closed my eyes, my head still throbbing. "Just say what you want to say, Woobin, please," I asked. Woobin shook his head, hand clasped together tightly. A sign that I have ed up big time and gentle-hearted, mild-tempered Woobin was at the end of the rope and his top was going to blow. He was VERY angry and his efforts in keeping his anger in check was probably running very thin.

        "Jongsuk, of all the things you've done, this was beyond the most idiotic. I don't even know what I should say to you because I am so angry with you. Using a fake ID and drinking? You know better than that! I thought you were better than that! That's illegal and you know it and you did it two nights in a row," he yelled, practically. I looked at him surprised. How did he know I went drinking the other night as well?

       "Yeah, you want to know how I knew that?" He asked, like if he had read my mind and was simply answering my question.

       "I went to your place to check up on you and I find out that you've been drinking. You have an impressionable 16 year old brother and you came home drunk! But oh, when I came to pick you up, you were going to go sleep with an older woman. A woman who didn't even know you were a minor. She would have committed a crime!"

         Woobin's face was almost red and the more he spoke, the angrier he seemed to be. I think my dumb mistake was just a catalyst and everything that he had bottled up inside was flowing out in a hot ugly mess. He had always kept all this rage and anger pent up and I have never seen him this angry or hurt or distraught. I caused that. Me.

         "Is that why you've been avoiding me at school? Because you're drinking and hanging with the wrong crowd. What the hell is wrong with you? I was scared to know you weren't home and Kyungsuk, who rarely worries, was worried about you. You, his OLDER brother. Now I'm afraid to leave Korea because you are so irresponsible... but I can't be. I CAN'T be worried about you being like this. You're not my family and you're not my girlfriend or something."

         And the last couple sentences, I snapped. I never realized my hands were balled into fist in the sheets. I stared at him, tears stinging the back of my eyes, threatening to fall.

         "I'm not your family? The hell we aren't!" I yelled back, "We've been there for each other more than our parents or anyone else have been around for us. You're right, I am dumb. I'm stupid and I'm angry and I'm scared because you're going to leave me and forget me," I yelled but my voice cracked. At this point, I didn't even care.

        "I avoided you becasue I couldn't bare to know. I don't want to know how your interview with Columbia went because our friendship will probably end when you leave and we'll become strangers, but I don't want that. It hurts because you're going to leave and our friendship will have been for nothing. All I have is you and I can already feel you slipping through my fingers. Don't act like you didn't know what that interview meant. It wasn't just because you wanted to go to law school, you're just tired of me."

        Woobin was silent for a moment, his eyes turning gentle despite his stern expression because he probably felt sorry for me. I hated that. I felt so vulnerable and raw and Woobin's stare only made me feel worse. He was sympathetic but it's not sympathy I want. It made me sick to think that maybe after all, Woobin really did feel nothing for me. I just laid out the feeling that I have so expertly hid away in front of him - threw it in his face, actually - and all he felt was sympathy.

        "You're right. I did understand what this interview could mean but never have I thought that our tie was so fragile that it would break that easily," Woobin said, trying to use a very calm tone. It was obvious that he was still very angry.

        "You're an , you know that. You have so little faith in me, always pushing me away and expecting me to leave. You've always been so perceptive and yet sometimes, you miss the things that are so obviously in front of you," Woobin said, voice quiet. It actually scared me more than him yelling at me.

        "Do you know why I want to be a lawyer, Jongsuk? It's so I can protect you, heir apparent to Diadem Industries, against all legal harm. You're right, we are family, and I want to protect you. You helped me get on my feet when I thought there was nowhere to go and there will never be a day where I won't appreciate that," he said. He paused to catch his breath after he talked so fast.

        "But I'm poor and average and I wanted to go to Columbia, not just because it's free and law is my dream, but so I can stand by your side without you ever having to be embarrassed or undermined by my status. I was okay with standing by you, even as a lackey, but I don't know anymore. I don't know if I can stand by you if you're going to be like this. And you know what I mean," Woobin said. His voice was colored in hurt, eyes filled with disappointment. I felt a warm feeling pooling in my gut but it wasn't a "good" warm. It felt like guilt and dispair.

        Woobin then grabbed his jacket without looking at me and put it over his shirtless body and left the room, the door closing with a decisive click. It was so deafeningly silent as I waited - as I hoped - Woobin would walk back in. He didn't.

        Woobin left and he'll probably never come back.

        He was right though, I am an because I made this about me, yet again. I made him the bad guy when really, I was. I really did have little faith because people always leave me and I thought it was a matter of time before Woobin did. I assumed the worst of him and I pushed him away, painting him the same as everyone else when everything he was doing was partially for my sake. Typical selfless Woobin.

        For years, Woobin had been my rock and he has never done anything to hurt me but instead of paying him back, all I did was do unto him what I feared most. All I do is hurt him. I am an .