Before the Storm

Destructive and Beautiful

***Please read the Forward for a little bit of background on the characters :)      




           What's hard about lying to your best friend who happens to also be your childhood friend is that they know absolutely everything about you and can tell when you're lying to them. Sometimes they'll call you out on it and sometimes they won't, but they know. They always know.

           "I'm serious, Woobin, that's what really happened."

           "Uh-huh. I believe you," Woobin said exasperated. He waved his hand to dismiss me while keeping his nose buried in the book he was preoccupied with. He had a skill, Woobin did. He could read and talk to someone at the same time without losing his place or reading a line over again. I'd say it was years of practice from being friends with me. I know I'm a chatterbox and he's a bookworm.

           "On another note," I said changing the subject, "Do you want to go to my Aunt's wedding on Saturday?"

           "Aunt's wedding? Didn't I already go to your Aunt's wedding a few years ago because your girlfriend broke up with you just the day before? Your dad only has one sister and your mom is an only child, right?"

           "This is her 3rd marriage, Woobin. Pay attention!"

           Woobin chuckled a little bit. "How would I know this is her 3rd marriage? I only met her that one time. I can't recall her face but I remember her being quite the fireball. I hope this guy can satisfy her."

           "Yeah, I doubt it. My Aunt needs no man but she insists on marrying. My dad met the poor guy a couple days ago and he said he's so whipped, it's actually quite pitiful. So anyways, do you want to go?"

           "Why would I? Don't you have a girl you're seeing lately? Go with her. I'm busy."

           "What? What do you mean you're busy? You have a life outside of me?!" I asked.

           Woobin made this disgusted expression, just because I had the audacity to say something like that, but there was no mean intent behind it. He was always good about playing along with my jokes and whims. What an easygoing guy.

          He shooed me away again with his hand, "Break is going to end soon, idiot. Get to class."

          "Aye aye, sir!" I said as I got up to walk to my classroom next door, a couple of girls staring after me. I winked at them and they covered their faces blushing. I was hoping Woobin was looking up from his book but he was actually buried further into it, if that was possible. I hope that near-sighted bastard knows he's not going to absorb more information because he's closer to the book.

           I walked down the hallway as slowly as I possibly could, dreading the literature class next. I had hoped Woobin and I would end up in the same class for our third year in high school but we didn't. We were always in the same class in middle school but it wasn't in our stars for high school, which . I don't have many friends that I tolerate like Woobin. I'm popular, yes, but do I retain friends? No.

          Woobin is my only close friend and he is also the only person I have a relatively stable relationship with. Though I get along with them, I don't see my parents often. My aunt is cool but never around and she only likes me because I'm pretty, not because she actually cares for me. My younger brother is a unemotional dickwad who only likes classic music by utterly overrated composers. Not surprisingly enough, my bro also doesn't have many friends and I'd say his only close friend is also Woobin. Just because Woobin has been my friend since 2nd grade and he's been around more for his life than my parents ever were.

         "Jongsuk, wait!" I heard Woobin say as I was about to enter my classroom. He came out with his bangs in his face. It actually made his dark circles more noticeable and I wasn't sure if I should be ignoring that fact.

         "You forgot your phone," he said as he dropped my phone into my hand. I had the new Samsong phone that wasn't even out in the markets yet because my family had connections. Woobin didn't seem impressed by it in the slightest. He still has an archaic smartphone from 2 years ago and refuses to upgrade because he doesn't need all the sparkly new features. My mom even offered to get him one, but he turned it down.

          "Looks like you got a text from your girlfriend. Seriously, take her to your Aunt's wedding. I'm sure it'd be more fun to go with a girl than me. We're always together," he said before turning his heel to his class. He smiled as he got to the door and waved at me before disappearing behind the frame. I stared after him, a little hurt. I can't believe he just said that. To be honest, he's been saying things like that more often.

           I think it's because it's our senior year and our futures are quickly approaching. With his grades and work ethic, Woobin could probably get in anywhere but he was modest like that. He always thinks he's not good enough and works too hard... to the point it physically shows.

           This summer Woobin worked two jobs and attended more college prep classes than the average student. I could tell he lost weight due to all the stress and lack of time to eat properly. It was obviously unintentional weightloss but he says he has always thought about losing weight and he finally got around to diet. He doesn't want me to worry.

           The hard thing about lying to your best friend who also happens to be your childhood friend is that they know absolutely everything about you and can tell when you're lying to them. I know he's lying to me but he probably thinks I don't notice his lies like he can notice mine. I'll just pretend to be a pretentious, ignorant jerk for him because that's how it has always been.



         "Hey Woobin, did you ever figure out how to do number 14 on the chemistry homework?"

           "Yeah, I did. If you want me to show you how to solve it, you have to sit up properly," I said to Jongsuk who was sitting in the strangest position on the coach. His head was hanging off the edge and his feet were dangling straight up. I just shook my head at him. I don't know how he studies like that.

           "Woobin, I seriously think you should come to the wedding with me," Jongsuk said, all of sudden. It took me a moment to adjust my thinking because all I had was the nomenclature for chemistry running through my head. He sounded serious and having been his friend for so long, I can tell he wasn't playing around. I looked up at him from the edge of my glasses. He wasn't looking at me.

           "I told you, I'm busy. Take your girlfriend," I said.

           "She's not my girlfriend. I don't like her like that," he said before sitting properly in his seat. His face was a bit flush from all the blood going to his head. His soft hair was sticking every which way but it was slowly starting to settle down to frame his face. He looked like a ing angel, the bastard. He always looked so damned perfect. I grimaced a little in annoyance.

           "Are you avoiding me?" Jongsuk asked, his eyes earnest. I choked a little bit on his statement. Was it even possible to avoid Lee Jongsuk?

           "No, idiot. I'm obviously not since I'm studying with you in my own house! What brought that on?"

           "I want you to go to the wedding. I feel like we don't hang out as often anymore," he said, genuniely seeming hurt by it. I felt bad all of sudden, even though I don't ever recall avoiding him. What's hard about childhood friends is that even if they're ty, you kind of still like them because they've been with you for so long. If you want, you can call it childhood bias. Jongsuk knows how much I care about him and he does not hesitate to exploit that. This guy is not a good friend, not in the least...and yet he's my best friend. I really should find better friends.

           "I'm sorry you feel that way. It wasn't my intention to hang out less or avoid you, if I came off like that. You're an idiot, though, you know that? Going to the wedding with me will not be fun. I'm just going to read the whole time."

          "That's fine," Jongsuk said perking up, "So you're going?" His long eyelashes batted and I felt like biting out a sarcastic remark but I swallowed it like a bitter pill.

          I gave out a long sigh, "Yeah, I guess. But only for a little bit. I wasn't joking when I said I was busy."