A Shopping Trip

Offline Dating

 

Warning: Has not been beta'd or edited for proper enhancements.

 

 

It’s a Saturday and only two days after the high school reunion. Unlike most Saturdays, Siwon actually has something relatively fun to do this week.

 

“A movie?”

 

“No,” Song Qian frowns at him with pursed lips. “You’re still as typical as you always have been.”

 

Defeated, Siwon shoves his hands into his pant pockets and stares back at her. “It really just depends on who I’m with.”

 

“So you’re saying I’m the reason why you’re so boring?” She scoffs, tossing long waves of her hair over her shoulders. “Well, I’m sorry, Dr. Choi.”

 

Siwon laughs. “Why else would you call me to this mall then? We agreed forever ago that the only fun thing to do here is the theater.”

 

“Shopping,” Song Qian answers softly. “You owe me a shirt, remember?”

 

Very vaguely, Siwon recalls a time when they and their crew of friends went out for a camping trip together in high school and he accidentally rammed right into her while he was play fighting with Shindong and a few others, throwing her into a mound of dirt and leaves.

 

“We were too poor back then but I’m sure you’re loaded now, being a doctor and all,” she says with a small and provocative wink.

 

Wow has times changed, Siwon thinks. “I can’t afford your high end fashion type of clothing; I just started up my career!”

 

“Don’t worry,” she says, “you’ll get to do the picking. I look at clothes so much that I don’t think I can seriously look at and take any single piece of clothing lightly anymore. Do me a favor and save me the headache?”

 

He frowns. “I’ve never picked out clothing for a woman before.”

 

“Since when have you ever seen me as a woman?” Song Qian laughs.

 

“True,” Siwon nods playfully. “Nonetheless…”

 

She smiles and grabs him by the wrist, dragging him along. “Just pick out whatever it is you think looks good. It was just a simple t-shirt that you ruined anyways; you don’t have to make up for it with anything extravagant.”

 

Looking down at their hands, Siwon feels his heart skip another beat. What is with him lately? Has it just been too long since he’s touched a woman’s hands?

 

“What type of guy do you think would suit someone like Liyin?” Song Qian suddenly asks.

 

Breaking out of his trance, Siwon clears his throat and says, “You’re really going to find someone for her? In your line of business?”

 

“Is there something wrong with that?” She raises an eyebrow.

 

“Well, no, but—“

 

Song Qian stops and crosses her arms over her chest. “But what?”

 

“You know, you never did reply to my mes—“

 

A loud ringtone interrupts Siwon and after taking a moment for the ringtone to register, Song Qian digs through her bag and finds her cellphone. “Sorry,” she excuses herself and answers the call.

 

Siwon stands beside her patiently and quietly.

 

“I don’t like the theme they sent over to me,” she grumbles to the person on the other line. “Models from A&D Management aren’t bad but maybe we should try going for a less obvious one? …Hawaii sounds like a good location, I mean, it is summer… no… I’ll try to convince the boss to let Ssul write the column but she—…okay, yeah, sure. Okay. Alright, I have to go, I’ll call you again later tonight.”

 

After she slips her phone back into her purse Siwon asks, “How long are you in town anyways?”

 

She purses her lips again. “Initially I was planning on staying for a week but it looks like I might have to leave a day or two earlier than expected.”

 

“Is Shanghai nice?” Siwon wonders aloud.

 

Song Qian nods. “It’s busy but a nice kind of busy, you know? Beijing is busy, but the rushed and pressured kind of busy.”

 

He feels soft fingers wrap around his wrist again and Song Qian is dragging him towards a directory nearby. “I’m sure you’re not lacking in clothing,” he guesses, taking a close observation of what she’s attired in now. “Why don’t I treat you to lunch instead and we’ll call it even?”

 

To be honest, he hates shopping for clothes, too.

 

“What do you want to eat?” He prompts again.

 

Song Qian ignores his questions and browses through the list of clothing shops on the directory. When she finally spots a shop she likes, she starts pulling him along behind her again.

 

“Are you a clothes freak or?” Siwon laughs.

 

“Not even,” Song Qian rolls her eyes, “but you wouldn’t understand even if I told you.”

 

When they finally arrive, Siwon steps inside and begins to browse through clothing carefully. Song Qian follows loosely behind him, observing him from a safe distance.

 

His eyebrows knot into a small frown and he bites down on his bottom lip, his hands picking at corners and hems of shirts and dresses. Every small gesture is taken in by her reading eyes and Song Qian smiles to herself, a little bit amused by his detailed consideration.

 

Siwon eventually turns to look at her and gives her a once over.

 

She extends her arms and allows him to study her attire openly.

 

“Do you always dress so… revealingly?” Siwon asks.

 

Her smile disappears and she glances down at herself. The only portion of her that is being revealed are her legs, but if she’s got the legs to show then why not show them? “This isn’t revealing…” she mumbles, crossing her arms over her chest. “Shouldn’t you be used to seeing skin?”

 

Siwon clears his throat, looking away.

 

“Don’t you have a set style you like on a woman? Just find something that you think looks okay,” she tells him.

 

Agreeing, Siwon nods and begins to shift through clothing again.

 

“Is there anything I can help you with?” An associate suddenly asks, appearing from behind them. When Song Qian turns around to greet them, the associate’s eyes widen and she smiles even bigger. “Oh, Miss Song!”

 

Bringing her index finger to her lips, Song Qian smiles in turn but shakes her head. Hearing something odd, Siwon brings his attention to the two girls as well.

 

“Shopping for your girlfriend, sir?” The associate asks, receiving the signal and averting her attention onto Siwon instead.

 

Siwon glances at Song Qian but doesn’t say anything. Song Qian simply shrugs.

 

“Is there anything specific you’re shopping for today?”

 

Siwon clears his throat again, scratching the back of his head. “Not really…”

 

“I can show you this season’s newest imports—“

 

“It’s okay,” Song Qian interrupts her. “I want him to pick for himself. We’ll just keep looking around, thank you!”

 

The associate bows with a small smile and then excuses herself.

 

Siwon his drying lips. “Everything here is pretty nice; it’s kind of hard to choose.”

 

“You think?” Song Qian laughs, enjoying watching his struggles.

 

After a while more of searching, Siwon finally chooses a simply designed blouse that blends in perfectly with the tone of Song Qian’s milky white skin.

 

He holds the shopping bag for her as they walk out of the shop and towards his car.

 

“Are you hungry?” He asks.

 

Song Qian thins her lips. “I didn’t even have breakfast today.”

 

“Noodles?” Siwon suggests.

 

She smiles in satisfaction, nodding happily. “You know it!”

 

 

 

 

 

“You must have kept pretty busy ever since I moved,” Song Qian guesses. “Has it been hard on you?”

 

Shaking his head, Siwon answers slowly. “Not really. How about you? You sound even busier, to be honest.”

 

After another bite of the cold noodles, Song Qian brushes hair out of her face and glances over at him. “I’ve been good! Busy is good. I really like staying busy,” she says, “I’m only busy by season and it’s summer now so that’s why I’m busier than usual.”

 

He purses his lips. “Isn’t it tiring?”

 

Song Qian starts eating the noodles again, shaking her head. “I like it. Hey, aside from studying and practicing medicine, what else have you been up to the past decade?”

 

When she puts it like that, a swarm of feelings come rushing at him.

 

That’s right, it really has been almost an entire decade since the last time they saw each other, hasn’t it? He thinks it over carefully, trying to pick out the more interesting memories of his bunch to tell her.

 

“Donghae said you’re looking for a girlfriend. Is it true?” She asks with a small smirk.

 

Siwon coughs and takes a drink of water. “Well, yeah…”

 

“You are surrounded by women in nurse uniforms! That doesn’t do the trick?” Song Qian teases.

 

He clears his throat again, feeling oddly uncomfortable. For whatever reason, he’s just in a constant state of awkwardness around here, despite wanting to kindle their old friendship again. “At our age, most people are already married and have started families…”

 

“True,” she nods. “Honestly, if you really wanted, I can introduce some great girls to you. In my field, I’m surrounded by ‘single’ men and women who are looking for a stable and dependable partner.”

 

“What about you?” Siwon asks out of genuine curiosity. “Are you single?”

 

Song Qian smiles secretively at him. “Sometimes, it depends on who’s asking.”

 

“Me. Choi Siwon, your best friend from high school,” he adds, hoping he hasn’t made it awkward for her.

 

She sets down her pair of chopsticks and crosses one leg over the other, both hands in her lap. “Be honest with me, Siwon; it was never hard for you to get a girlfriend way back when and I doubt time and age could have changed that, especially with your looks and occupation. What kind of girl are you looking for?”

 

“Girls are different from clothing; I can’t just pick and choose…” Siwon replies.

 

Song Qian continues to stare at him with expectation in her eyes.

 

He sighs. “Fine; I’m looking for a girl that I can take home to my parents,” he finally confesses in surrender. “My parents have been pressuring me to bring someone back to them.”

 

Unable to contain her laughter, Song Qian keels forward and chuckles to herself in such a way that Siwon feels his cheeks begin to burn up against his will.

 

“Is it really funny?” He nearly pouts.

 

Song Qian collects herself and sits upright to face his questioning. “I can’t believe that would actually happen to you. Prince of the campus, every girl’s dream boy, Choi Siwon fussing over bringing a girl home to his parents. Are you still the same Choi Siwon that I knew?”

 

“I just—”

 

“Alright, alright, I’ll stop teasing you,” Song Qian laughs. “I’ll keep an eye out. In a few weeks I’ll be in town again so I’ll give you a call. Let’s keep in touch this time?”

 

Siwon scoffs. “I wasn’t the one staying out of touch,” he retaliates.

 

She sticks out her tongue at him. “Childish.”

 

“Stay safe,” he tells her, “and don’t work too hard.”

 

Song Qian smiles sweetly in reply.

-----

A/N: Zhang Liyin's mv featuring Victoria should be out soon, right? I'm so excited!! hehe. Thank you to all of my readers for all of your support! Enjoy~ ♥Xue