Complications

Offline Dating

 

Warning: Has not been beta'd or edited for enhancements. 

 

 

Song Qian spends most of her time staring into a computer screen in her work office and usually has her cell phone switched onto silent mode so that no one can disturb her. Therefore, the best way to contact her is through online messenger services.

 

After she leaves Beijing, Siwon and Song Qian often exchange greetings online.

 

Chances are that Siwon only gets to spend a couple of hours on the computer a day, if he makes it to a computer, being that he more often than not has to meet with his patients and study their medical history, but he manages to squeeze in as much time as he can to chat with this old buddy of his.

 

[Have you eaten?] She asks.

 

Siwon replies, [Yes. Have you?]

 

[My assistant is bringing me lunch soon. Can you guess what I’m having?]

 

[Noodles?] He guesses.

 

Song Qian laughs. [Nope. Bento!]

 

Their conversations are never about anything too serious; a majority of their chats consist of the topics of food, Song Qian teasing him about his awkwardness even online, and sometimes a bit of recollection of the good old high school days.

 

Suddenly, she says, [I’ve thought about finding you a candidate pretty seriously and I think…]

 

He waits patiently but he feels his heart miss another beat.

 

[Long distance relationships are hard, so maybe I should find you someone in Beijing when I return instead.]

 

Siwon laughs. [You know people over here that didn’t go to high school with us?]

 

[Not yet, but I will.] She answers.

 

[What does that mean?] He wonders.

 

Song Qian takes a while longer to reply this time. [Our company is opening a temporary office in Beijing and I’m getting sent over to handle the publishing of our first series of magazines in Beijing for the first quarter of the year. We’re collaborating with some local businesses in the city to create a new column catered towards the Beijing audience. I think I’ll be meeting more than enough people to supply you with a room full of potentials.]

 

[When are you coming back then?] Siwon asks.

 

Song Qian replies a little quicker this time. [Originally I was supposed to be returning in a couple of weeks but right now it’s looking more like another month or so?]

 

[Are your schedules always this unpredictable?] He all but laughs.

 

[Well, I was just told today that I’ll need to make a trip to Japan next week for a specialized fashion event that we’re reporting on. So, yes, it is.]

 

Siwon lifts his pen to his lips and bites on the tip of it. [Japan. That sounds fun.]

 

[Do you want to go?] She asks. [You can meet me there!]

 

[I have something called a job.] Siwon says.

 

Song Qian purses her lips and scrunches up her nose. Even though he can’t see it, he can feel her dissatisfaction in her words. [So do I! You should loosen up a bit. How long has it been since you last had a vacation? Girls don’t like a man who’s so serious all the time, you know.]

 

[What about you? What type of guy do you like?]

 

It’s a question that she hadn’t expected of him, to be honest. [Why are you curious? Do you have a nominee for me in mind?]

 

[If you tell me, I’ll keep an eye out for you, too.] He says.

 

Song Qian laughs. [Save it. I have better things to worry about.]

 

[Are you sure? I’m surrounded by rich and well educated doctors =)]

 

She rolls her eyes. [If I wanted a doctor, I’d just go for you.]

 

[Don’t joke,] he tells her, [my heart is weak.]

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nearly two weeks later, Song Qian is surprisingly still stuck in Japan.

 

Due to her constant compliments on the country, the food, and all the fun things to do, Song Qian eventually manages to convince Siwon to make a trip over as well.

 

“Vic, after the grand opening party the columnists are planning on running over to the karaoke next door. You gonna go?” Her co-worker asks her.

 

Song Qian thins her lips. “I need to pick up a friend at the airport and then help him settle in but I’ll see you tomorrow at the catwalk?”

 

“Okay,” Luna smiles, “we’ll be there for a while so just give me a call if you decide to join us.”

 

Nodding, Song Qian hugs her clipboard to her chest and greets the managers of the shop that is holding the grand opening.

 

It’s always difficult for clothing shops to expand their brands abroad and Japan is definitely one of the most difficult countries to search for opportunities in because of their unique style selection and strict isolation from most other countries worldwide.

 

This is the very reason why the company Song Qian works for is so interested in writing and reporting on them.

 

“Let us treat you to dinner before you leave,” one of the managers insists, “you’ve worked hard for us this past week.”

 

Song Qian and Luna share a knowing look. “Only if you’re treating us to the best in town,” Song Qian grins playfully. Luna nods along enthusiastically.

 

“Wait for our call; we’ll book a room in the best restaurant there is! It’s a date!”

 

After supplying their last greetings and several concluding cheers, Song Qian hurries out and jumps into the nearest cab. “Airport, please,” she says in heavily accented Japanese. When the scale starts hopping, Song Qian relaxes back into the seat and releases a deep breath.

 

Tired… so tired.

 

Not much later, her phone rings. With a soft groan, she digs for her phone and brings the speaker to her ears.

 

“Yes?”

 

“How’s Japan?”

 

“Wu Yifan, you liar! How do you even have the face to call me?” Song Qian scowls at him.

 

Yifan laughs. “Isn’t Kabukicho right up your alley?”

 

“You best hope you don’t have to shoot for our magazine in the near future,” she threatens, “the host theme is literally waiting for you, and not a good one.”

 

He laughs even louder. “It was for your own good,” he insists, sounding a little muffled behind his hand, “who knows how much you have pent up inside of you?”

 

“Why are you calling?” She grumbles, pouting.

 

Wu Yifan clears his throat, his voice lazy and casual. “I just suddenly missed you. You’ve been gone for forever.”

 

“Are you drunk?” Song Qian grimacess.

 

“Am I only allowed to miss you when I’m drunk?” He retorts.

 

She rolls her eyes and tries not to gag. “Either get to the point or I’m hanging up.”

 

“What’s the hurry?” He asks.

 

“I’m tired,” she answers, “I just left the opening party and those people don’t know how to stop.”

 

“It’s Japan,” he chuckles, “what did you expect?”

 

She sighs. “Next time, I’m bringing you with me. That way you can block off my drinks and then meet some rich, needy women.”

 

“I’m a model, not a host,” he argues. “Take responsibility for yourself.”

 

“Prick,” Song Qian laughs.

 

Wu Yifan smiles but it quickly leaves him. “I heard that you’re moving back to Beijing.”

 

“Who’d you hear that from?” Song Qian asks.

 

“Amber,” he tells her. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

Song Qian is silent for a moment. “I was going to.”

 

“Is it permanent?” He presses.

 

“…maybe,” she says, “I’ll have to see.”

 

Yifan takes a deep breath to maintain a calm state of mind. “You’re just going to leave me behind like this?”

 

“You’re not a dog, nor are you an abandoned child; I’m not leaving you behind, I’m just taking the necessary steps I need to take in life for myself,” Song Qian replies honestly. “You’re an adult now, Yifan, and you can’t just keep tailing after me like a kid anymore.”

 

The cab slowly pulls up to the airport and she sighs.

 

“I have to go now. We’ll talk about this again when I get back, okay?”

 

He doesn’t even say goodbye before hanging up on her.

 

Song Qian stares at the black screen of her phone, her chest feeling heavy and a little numb. After paying the driver and making her way into the arrivals lobby, she contemplates whether or not she should try contacting Wu Yifan again later.

 

She knows he’s mad and she’s never been able to stand having Wu Yifan mad at her for long.

 

Realizing that she’s nearly twenty minutes early, she finds a seat and starts browsing through articles in her phone. Out of curiosity, she looks up Wu Yifan’s name on the internet.

 

Aside from some reports on his most recent appearance for a skin care endorsement press conference and a couple of old scandal photos he’s had with her and a few other models, there doesn’t seem to be much negative media attention on him.

 

But he sounded as though he was in a bad mood…

 

“If you keep frowning like that, you’ll get wrinkles.”

 

The familiar voice instantly brings a smile to her face and she tucks her phone away, standing to her feet.

 

Siwon is a little more than a head taller than her so she has to strain her neck a little to look into his face at this close of a distance. “I’ve got plenty of connections to plastic surgeons and such—that’s a quick and easy fix.”

 

“Have you gotten that type of work done already?” Siwon wonders.

 

She laughs a little helplessly. “Do I look like I have?”

 

“Hard to say,” he shrugs with a sluggish grin, “that kind of stuff is looking more and more natural by the day.”

 

-----

 

A/N: I heard Victoria got a new online video game endorsement in China and that she got a haircut and hair dye yesterday~ can't wait to see it! Also, Donghae's istg update with Victoria was adorable~ Haetoria ftw! lol. Are there a lot of silent readers or is this story just not very good? I guess I have to try harder! (I admit, Siwon is just awkward for me to write...) ♥Xue