Regret

Dear Daddy

February 24th 2011

To their delight, both passed the audition with undeniable success; both possessed the talent and looks that SM were looking for and it was made obvious by the compliments they received that SM had big plans for them. They had entered the audition hall holding hands, fingers trembling, and had exited still holding hands but this time squeezing each other's with joy. The air around them was warm and the sun shone brightly, reflecting how both Hanbyul and Baekhyun felt as they laid side by side in the park, supported by a cushion of grass. 

"I can't believe this. We actually did it!" A wide grin spread across Hanbyul's face. 

The same smile was mirrored on Baekhyun's face as he turned towards her. He turned her face towards him so that she was staring directly into her eyes, "Yeah we did, thanks to you. You know I wouldn't have been able to do this alone."

Hanbyul shifted awkwardly at Baekhyun's sudden compliment, "Haha thanks I guess but I'm sure you would have-"

A serious expression had replaced Baekhyun's earlier smile. Hanbyul subconciously felt herself lean back slightly as Baekhyun moved his face closer. 

"Actually I've been meaning to tell you something for a long time and I don't know if this is the right time but...." An embarrassed laugh escaped his lips, "Um, will you-"

He sat up and ruffled his hair, "I can't say it..."

He can't be... 

A few seconds passed as Baekhyun tried to control his feelings. Thousands of thoughts showcasing various emotions whizzed through Hanbyul's head as she waited for him to speak. Baekhyun took a final deep breath and mustered up his courage to finish his sentence. 

"Will you go out with me?" Due to his nerves, Baekhyun's voice came out unnaturally high-pitched causing a small laugh to erupt from Hanbyul's mouth. 

The laugh surprised Hanbyul almost as much as Baekhyun, who was obviously confused at her response. Frowning he continued, "I mean I really like you. I have for ages now but I never had the courage to tell you before. You're my best friend I get that but I want you to be something more."

Hanbyul continued to stare at him in silence, unsure of how to react.

He paused, disappointment clouding his face, "I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked. Look, forget I said that." 

Brushing himself down, he quickly stood up and started walking away. Not daring to look back in case Hanbyul would glimpse the tears running down his cheeks. Tears filled with regret and dread of future events. The more he thought about it the faster the tears came. As he fled the park he kept his head down to avoid the stares of the public. Why did I do that? He thought to himself angrily, why?

The sudden change of events startled Hanbyul. Watching Baekhyun's retreating back she felt instant remorse and confusion at the way in which she wasn't able to react in time. Now that Baekhyun had personally confessed she could see the puzzle pieces starting to fit together. She had noticed how Baekhyun had been acting strange lately; avoiding her eyes, secretly looking at her, zoning out when they were together, stammering sometimes when he spoke to her. 

As the truth dawned on her, she realised that she couldn't return Baekhyun's feelings. Even if she did, she wouldn't want to ruin their long-lasting friendship in case the relationship didn't last. And now, seeing the way in which Baekhyun was rushing off, it seemed like he never wanted to see her again. It was at times like this that Song Hanbyul hated herself for being so slow to catch on. 

Oh, what to do?


A/N: Sorry for the late update, I've been so busy lately. 

Anyway, I know it's short but I'll try and update soon. Hope you enjoy reading this chapter. :)

Thanks to all the people who subscribed, upvoted and commented. All are highly appreciated. They are my motivation for writing and will probably result in faster updates :P (hint, hint)