And This Is The Present

Dear Daddy

This still didn't look right. 

Baekhyun sat in front of the large mirror in Exo's VIP dressing room, studying the dark line that had deviated slightly from the outline of his eyes. He threw his eyeliner down in frustration, "This is the 5th time already! Why can't I get it on right?"

Chanyeol who was sitting beside him grinned at his friend for getting angry over such a trivial mater, "Come on Baek, it's just eyeliner..."

"It's eyeliner that I'm known for! My eyeliner needs to be perfect," Baekhyun replied while reapplying the eyeliner, "plus, i'm seeing Taeyeonnie after the concert so everything needs to be more than amazing."

The other exo members rolled their eyes but didn't say anything. If anything, they didnt want to induce in a conversation where they had to listen to Baekhyun fawning over how perfect Taeyeon was for hours on end. It wasn't the fact that Taeyeon wasn't any of the things that Baekhyun said she was - of course she was pretty and had a nice, soothing voice - but they couldn't stand it when Baekhyun went all googly eyed over her. Even Chanyeol who was known as the Happy Virus for his unfaltering smile whatever the situation would frown slightly when Baekhyun chose him as the victim for his fangirling phases. It had been nearly two years now and none of the Exo members could understand how the couple had taken root in the lovey-dovey stages of the relationship for so long. 

Baekhyun was in the midst of reapplying his eyeliner for the sixth time, his hands wobbling as he brought the fine tip to the corner of his eye, when exo's manager came and handed Baekhyun his phone, jogging him slightly as he did so. 

"Ah man," complained Baekhyun, a look of annoyance set on his face, "who is it?" 

"I don't know, it was from someone at a child social services centre," their manager replied, obviously distracted with sorting out other things as the concert was set to begin in two hours time. An expression of confusion overtook Baekhyun's face as he heard those words as he took his phone in his hands and held it up to his ear. Some of the other members who were sitting nearby shot him anxious looks, as would anybody that heard the words 'child social services', especially since he was an idol striving to reach the top of the music industry; which sane fangirl would fantasize over the father of a child. 

"He-hello?" Baekhyun's voice came out more shaken than he had wanted it to be, he had no reason to be worried of course, he had never committed an action that would result in him having a kid, had he? These thoughts led to a series of memories in which a particular girl was very prominent in, a girl he had loved more than himself, but no... she was long gone now.

The voice on the other end contained a mixture of fake cheerfulness and worry, "Hello Byun Baekhyun-sshi, this is Ilsan Child Social Services Centre for deserted and neglected children and we are afraid that under the current circumstances we have had to take Song Hwan, son of Song Hanbyul into our care." With the mention of that one name time seemed to freeze for a few seconds, his surroundings became a mess of shapes and colours and all he could hear was that name - "Song Hanbyul" - repeated over and over again in his head, "We have been informed that you are the father, is this true?"

Baekhyun found that he was unable to answer, a son? Impossible. "I don't know what you're talking about." 

He was just about to hang up, more due to the brashness of the situation than anything when a rustle was heard from the other end and another voice spoke. Even without it being said he knew who it was. Hanbyul sounded close to tears as she babbled, hardly pausing for breath and obviously desperate for him to listen, "Please Baekhyun, please it's my Hwan, no, our Hwan, they took him, they said I wasn't fit enough to look after him, please Baek I need your help, I know I don't deserve it but I promise I'll pay you back in any way I can. He's your son Baekhyun, he's only four, he can't sleep if I'm not there, I need your help, please... I'm begging you..."

The last three words were said in a helpless whisper as Hanbyul broke into tears on the other end. 

Baekhyun was lost for words. He sat frozen, unable to move or say anything as a flurry of thoughts ran through his head, that night... it can't have been, it was just one night. An accident. 

But what if it really was true, what if that boy, Hwan was it? What if he really was his son? 

Then his singing career would be over. If what he had heard in the last few minutes were said to be true his life would crumble and everything that he had worked for would disappear in the space of a second. Everything could change for the better or the worse, depending on what he decided to do in the next few minutes. Baekhyun glanced up at the clock - there was only an hour and a half before the concert was due to start. He let out a frustrated sigh as he made his decision. 

"Hyung cover for me, it looks like I need to go somewhere."

~~~~~

February 2011

"Are you nervous?" Hanbyul asked, her own legs wobbling from the anticipation of the upcoming audition.

"No," Baekhyun replied, putting up a front. Hanbyul gave him a disbelieving look, "Fine, a little," he admitted, biting his lip. "What if only one of us gets in?" 

Hanbyul, too had worried about that for days on end after she and Baekhyun had got themselves an appointment for the next SM audition. It was a nervewraking thought, especially for Hanbyul and Baekhyun who had met later in life than they had hoped but had bonded together, inseparable ever since their middle school days. 

"Well that won't change anything, we'll still stay friends," Hanbyul announced firmly, looking at her friend for support. Suprisingly, she was met with a blank face and Hanbyul wondered if Baekhyun thought differently. Her fears were confirmed when Baekhyun looked down and said, "Well I guess if one of us becomes a trainee we won't have time to hang out.... plus it would be more important to become closer with other trainees than our normal friends. Sorry Byul."

Eyes widened and Hanbyul felt herself gape at the absurdness of what Baekhyun was saying, "Baek..."

A moment passed where they just looked at each other, both unsure of what to say next. 

"Gotcha!" he screeched, bursting into laughter, "You should have seen your face, it was classic!" 

Hanbyul's confusion quickly turned to anger, "I was really scared you meant that, you idiotic pig!" She hit him a few times over the head with her bag and tried to kick him in the balls for good measure, which Baekhyun fortunately managed to avoid.

One hand held up in surrender, Baekhyun guarded his lower region as if it was as dear as his life, "Ok I'm sorry, sorry. You can kick anywhere but here, do you know how painful it is-" 

Baekhyun faltered as Hanbyul her heels and started striding away from him, "Hey, byul. Come on, it was just a joke. I said I was sorry. Look how can I make it up to you? I'll do whatever you want, just say- what?" 

Smirking, Hanbyul turned back to where Baekhyun was trailing along behind her, obviously not as upset as she had seemed to be a few moments earlier "And that my friend is called revenge, and you can make up to me by buying me dinner, come on, let's go!" 

Baekhyun smiled sheepishly, "Guess I deserved that though its good thing I don't hit girls. Count yourself lucky that I'm a real man okay?" 

Hanbyul ruffled Baekhyun's hair, "Okay then Big Man, let's go eat, I'm starving..." 

Baekhyun returned the smile and continued to walk alongside Hanbyul. But a few seconds later he stopped. 

"Byul, do you promise that'll we'll be friends forever, no matter who gets into where? And we'll always see each other? Stay by each other?" If it hadn't been the look of pure seriousness on Baekhyun's face, Hanbyul would have considered making a joke out of the situation. 

Nudging her friend, she settled for making it a lighter one, "Ey, that's so cheesy..."

The look on Baekhyun's dace didn't falter, "Answer me, Byul. I'm serious."

Hanbyul smiled, sure that what she was going to say next would definately be true, "You can't get rid of me that easily. Of course, I'll always be with you."

Oh how very wrong she was. 

 


A/N: Hey guys hoping those of you who've started reading are enjoying it so far.

I'm going to flit between the present and the past and to make it slightly clearer I've posted the dates of the flashbacks in italics.

I've tried to make the chapters lengthy to make up for taking so long with the updates. Of course though guys you could always help by subscribing, commenting and upvoting which will help motivate me a lot. :D

Please feel free to give me feedback and well.. just enjoy reading :)

Thank you to all of you who've subscribed and upvoted and commented, I really appreciate it :) love ya~~~

-JJustBeingME