It's Only Make Believe

Flooded

“Luhan! Ni Hao! Ni Hao Ma!?” Luhan was caught off guard by the explosive greeting from his Uncles new wife and mother to be, Albinia. He hadn’t even straightened fully from the chair he’d been waiting in when she barreled into him causing him to nearly tumble back down into the soft cushion he had only just vacated. On reflex one arm shot around her back and braced her slight body against his at the same time he grasped the armrest with his free hand, using all his might to prevent her from falling.

 

His loss of breath had more to do with panic then the impact against his chest, this woman! Was she trying to hurt herself and the baby! He managed to position his legs in a more stable stance while she blissfully went unaware of his mini panic attack. She was babbling in English and hugging him tight, maybe too tight? Would it hurt the baby? He was staring worriedly down at her with his arms circled loosely around her waist when his attention was dragged away from the petit brunette by the sound of a man clearing his throat.

 

His Uncle was standing not ten feet away sporting an almost sour expression. Albinia stopped talking momentarily to look over her shoulder but didn’t let go of Luhans middle, if anything she only tightened her slim arms around him more. She’d rested her face against Luhans chest with a huff and pouted her plush lips at her husband while saying something to him that sounded like an admonishment if Luhan had ever heard one.

 

Whatever she had said made the older man lift his eyes to meet Luhans, “I think if she had met you first she wouldn’t have chosen me at all,” he’d tried to sound stern but a smile was creeping in at the edges so he gave up on his attempts, also walking over to invade Luhans personal space, nearly squishing his diminutive wife between them, to lightly grip Luhans shoulders in welcome.

 

“Jiu(Uncle)! You know I can’t speak English!” A large smile broke out over his face; it’d been a running joke between them ever since the first time Albinia had clung to him that the only thing that hindered him was the language barrier. She’d mentioned more than once that she found him beautiful, though Luhan had tried to explain to her that he was a man, men weren’t beautiful, but she’d stuck to her guns and he’d eventually given up.

 

His Uncle stepped back while shaking his head and putting his hands up in surrender, “She just told me you’re her favorite and to be nice to you, look at her! It’s like I don’t even exist anymore!” The playful pout pulling at his Uncles lips made Luhan laugh, as instructed he turned his attention to the woman still attached to him. She had her eyes closed with the side of her face against his chest; a peaceful smile was firmly in place even though she still held his middle a little harder than necessary.

 

Luhans smile softened as he brought his hand up to gently the foreign woman’s soft wavy hair, “She feels safe with me Jiu, I’ll never be a threat to her,” Albinia had started rubbing her face against his chest while he petted her hair, the soft sigh of contentment nearly brought tears to his eyes, “I love her in a different way, I’ll always protect her and the little one,” He locked gazes with his Uncle over the top of her head, “I swear it, on more than my life, “ he had tugged the small woman against him as if to shield her and her unborn baby with his own body, she had taken notice of his serious tone and looked up at him. Patting his face when he dropped his gaze to her, she moved back a few steps to slip her hand into her husbands.

 

“I believe you Luhan, that’s why I’m entrusting this herculean feat to you, it’s been five weeks now, are you confident enough?” His Uncle’s voice was quiet but an edge lay beneath the surface, his wife was starting to show, the danger to her and his child would only grow from here.

 

“I-I’ll try my best Jiu, we can’t wait any longer on my training. I’m as ready as I’m ever going to be.” He was scared, but he needed to do this, for her, for them.