It's a "couple" thing

Stand Your Ground, Honey

"Hello we meet again, Oppa." Jieun greeted me in such a manner that it seemed as if she'd known me personally. However; I had just met her today… A past occurrence couldn’t be recalled, but I began to question her familiarity.

"Oh , hello Miss Kang.” I said with uncertainty, extending a hand toward her . I didn’t want to act like I knew her because I wasn’t even sure if I did.

“You don’t remember me do you…” She frowned; still she took my hand and shook it lightly.

“Sorry.” I said. But, I did feel bad because the woman clearly knew me and there I was...totally bewildered at the fact that I couldn’t remember her. Without warning, my office door burst open and in came my father and the man I believed to be his best friend, making my fairly spacious room seem awfully crowded. I haven’t seen him in over ten years but he didn’t seem to age.

“Kyungsoo-ya! Look who’s back from the States It’s been a while!” The man greeted me then pulled me into one of those forceful man hugs. I guess I was taken by surprise because man hugs aren’t really my thing. He looked at me and then at Ms. Jieun. “I see that you and Jiji are catching up.” He said.

Did he just say… And then I pictured this short and pretty round little girl I knew a few years back… YES. Mr. Kang had a daughter. I remember now! Jieun only ten and I was twelve when I had to say goodbye to her after knowing her for almost my whole childhood.

“Wait...Jiji? Tiny Jiji? Woah! Look at you! You lost the glasses and dropped the weight! But have you hit your growth spurt yet?” I teased feeling a bit more comfortable. Plus, I never said that I was nice.

“Hey! I grew!” She hit my arm and laughed. “ And I wasn’t that heavy, but thank you for noticing; I’ll take that as a compliment. But look at you, handsome as ever, Oppa” She said, walking around me as she looked me up and down to examine.

I have to admit, that I did forget about Jieun. It’s not that I wanted to, but she was my childhood friend and I had to move on with my life anyway.

“Why wasn’t I aware that Jiji...I meant Jieun, would be joining us?” I turned to my dad, who seemed to be enjoying this little reunion.

“I guess, it must have slipped my mind. But they will be of great importance to our company. Jieun and her father can help us go world wide.  Wouldn’t that be great?” He enthused. My father must have loved the idea that his best friend was giving him the hook up. I mean who wouldn’t.

“Yes, that would be awesome.” And suddenly the time on my desk clock caught my eye. FINALLY! I thought. It was time to go home. I cleared my throat loud enough to get their attention. “ Anyway, I wish I could stay and catch up ;but I promised my wife that I’d be home before dinner.” I told Mr. Kang and shook his hand before turning to Jieun, “It was nice seeing you again.” I was about to shake hers as well but she pulled back, which left me confused.

“You’re married?” Jieun asked. She looked as if she had just been so rudely pushed; shocked and unsure what to do.

"Yeah..." I told her, still confused by her actions.

“I forgot to mention.” My father suddenly said out loud, drawing their attention toward him. “ I’m a grandfather now.” He said so proudly with a winning smile to top his bragging. He then turned to his phone and I assumed that he was looking for a picture of Soona.

“I had no idea! Congratulations Kyungsoo, although I’m a little disappointed that we weren’t invited to the wedding.” Mr. Kang paused for a while, so I got scared for a second, like he was going to yell at me or something. “...ahh I’m just kidding. Invite us to dinner one day, I’d like to meet your family, Kyungsoo.” Mr. Kang pulled me in for another of those sudden man hugs that I hated so much. But I nodded and smiled in response.

“Of course.” I told him.

Jieun was quiet when I turned back to look at her. “She’s a very lucky woman.” She said to me. Jieun then smiled and punched my arm lightly, “I’m surprised that someone as bossy and egotistical as you was able to settle down.” She teased.

“Ehyy, you know me too well.” I said sarcastically. “ I can’t wait for you to meet her. But thank you, I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around often, partner. ” I smiled then turned for the exit. “Oh and bye, dad!” I said before I forgot, with that I was the door and so ready to be home.


 

Hana POV

 

Soona was in her playpen just in front of the couch, chewing on just about anything in sight; from stuffed animals to her little rubbed toys. It was about time her baby teeth grew in.

I was laying peacefully on the couch just resting and thinking about how much I’ve accomplished, and that was when I realized that I haven’t really done much with my life besides get hitched (well to the love of my life of course) and have a child (again, with the love of my life). I mean, I didn’t regret a single thing but the fact that I was home 24/7 gave me a reality check.

Suddenly I heard Kyungsoo’s voice out of nowhere and I was startled, “What are you thinking of?” He said as he appeared to be standing over me.

“Oh my gosh! I almost had a heart attack!” I told him as I positioned myself to sitting. “Pabo” I scoffed.

“Oh please, you act as if you’re not happy to see me.” He said as he placed his brief case on the dining table and loosened his tie. I always found it so hot when businessmen take their clothes off. I MEAN… I usually catch myself drooling whenever Kyungsoo would come home from work and untuck his shirt, loosen his tie, and his polo. He usually catches me staring too and I hate when that happens.

“Oh Honey, you know that I am.” I said patting a seat next to me on the couch. Kyungsoo took the spot and put his arm around my shoulder. “So...I was thinking.” I said as we both watched our daughter play happily.

“What is it?” He asked..

“I want to get a job.” I paused then looked at Kyungsoo who then has cocked a brow.. “What?”

“You are seriously one of a kind, Hana."At this point I wasn't sure if he was serious or being sarcastic, which then annoyed the hell out of me. "Who in the world wants to work? I’d stay at home forever if I could.”  Kyungsoo said.

“That’s easy for you to say. I watch you come home every day tired from work and all I ever do is chill and play with Soona. How can I live like this for the rest of my life? ” I complained.

“Some would consider you lucky, you know.”

“I just want to help.” I said as I fought the urge to tear up from frustration.

“That’s the thing, we’re okay and if you ever need a break, my mother is lonely she’s been wanting to see Soona. There problem solved.”

“Omo...You don’t get it! You know what? Just forget it, if you’re not going to listen have fun sleeping on the couch. Inconsiderate JERK.” And with that I got Soona from her playpen and stormed upstairs to put her to bed.

 

....

 

The thing about marrying someone as stubborn as you is that...one of you is bound to get their way. Kyungsoo refused to sleep on the couch after our little quarrel so there we were in bed, facing opposite directions, and laying in complete silence. He was still awake alright, trust me. The struggle of a married couple...

I may have overreacted and I may have gone a bit insane but I had every right to get mad. The thing is, I wasn’t mad anymore and I had too much pride to say sorry for something I shouldn’t even apologize for. So I waited until...

“Hana, are you awake?” Kyungsoo whispered from his side. I quickly shut my eyes and heavied my breathing as if I were legitimately sleeping. Trust me, I wanted to laugh deep inside about how childish I was acting at the moment.

Later, I felt the bed move as Kyungsoo shifted over to face my backside. He stayed still for a bit, seeming to be contemplating whether or not to say something, and then finally. I felt him come closer to me and put an arm around me.  “Whether you’re awake or asleep, I just want you to feel as happy as you make me. I’m sorry, Honey, goodnight.” And then he reached over to place a sweet kiss on the side of my cheek and settled next to me.

I tried to contain the urge to spazz but I held in and smiled to myself. I attempted to naturally turn over “in my sleep” and snuggle at my husband’s chest , close enough to hear his heartbeat. Eventually, I was able to fall asleep at ease. He was right, we were okay.