Two

Bad Behavior

The next day, Jackson received a text message from Hojung. In the late evening he made his way over to her home in Anyang.

Ding dong!

A few moments later, the giant white door opened. Hojung stood there in shorts and a loose white shirt. A smile came onto her face as soon as she saw him.

“Hey Wang Jr.” Jackson softly said and he walked into her large, cozy home. He slipped his shoes off and followed Hojung into the kitchen.

She rummaged through the fridge and pulled out a box of tupperware. “Are you hungry?” She bit her bottom lip and drummed her slim fingers on the plastic box.

Jackson eyed the container and smiled knowingly. “Is that....?”

“My mom’s left over samgyeopsal.” Hojung nodded with a smile.

“Oh my god!” Jackson exclaimed in English, making her burst into laughter. He grinned, proud that he made her laugh.

Hojung loosened the cover and slid it into the microwave. After anxiously waiting two minutes for the food to heat up, the two of them sat at the dining room table. She handed him a pair of chopsticks and took a seat next to him. Jackson and Hojung sat facing each other with the container of hot food between them. They ate peacefully and talked about everything and anything that came to mind. Jackson told her a story about his older brother that caused her to grab onto her stomach with laughter.

“Yah! Wang Mandu!” Hojung shrieked as he stole a piece of meat from her and popped it into his mouth.

Jackson laughed and feigned a look of remorse. “Was that yours? I’m sorry.” He put his fist next to his round cheek and pouted.

Hojung’s toes and fingers curled and she made a face of displeasure. “Aegyo doesn’t suit you.” Jackson put his fist down and laughed his ‘hyena’ laugh. Hojung slapped her chopsticks down and burst into uncontrollable laughter.

 

The sun had long gone set and it was nearing eight p.m. Rain pelted against the roof and windows of the house, creating a relaxing environment. Hojung and Jackson laid in her bed, watching action movies.

Their second movie ended and Hojung sat up, stretching her arms above her head. She glanced at her bathroom door and placed a hand on Jackson’s knee. He immediately sat up, propping himself up with his hands. He stared at Hojung.

“Can I ask a favor?” Hojung whispered.

Worried by the sudden drop of her mood, Jackson stood up and looked at her. “Hojung, what’s wrong?”

She shook her head. “Nothing is wrong. I just need a favor.”

“What is it?” Jackson breathed out.

Hojung hopped off the bed and walked into her bathroom. Jackson followed her and stopped when he spotted a pair of scissors and two boxes of hair dye on the counter. His eyes fell on Hojung who stared right back at him. “You don’t have to do this Hojung.” Jackson whined in a serious tone.

“I know...but I want to.” Hojung gave him a sincere smile.

Jackson stepped closer to her and cupped her face gently. “What did Tasha say to you yesterday? Are you doing this because of what she said to you? Hojung-ah, you don’t have to do this. Please.”

Hojung grasped onto his wrists and smiled softly. “I’m not doing this because of her. I’m doing this for me.”  

-----

On Monday morning it was still rainy and gloomy.

Jackson made his way down the hall with his backpack slung over one shoulder. He twirled his locker combination and the door sprung open. He glanced up and down the crowded hallway.

“Wang Mandu~” A slightly husky voice sing-songed.

Jackson turned his head and did a double take. He whistled and leaned against the red lockers. “I did one hell of a good job.”

Hojung’s lips curled into a smile as Jackson reached out and touched her new bangs. Her hair was a few inches shorter and the tips of her wavy locks were a cool, lavender color. Hojung curled her hair behind her right ear. “You’re the best.” She complimented.

The back of Jackson’s hand brushed against her cheek. His eyes flickered down to her lips as her own gaze landed on his.

The shrill ringing of a bell disrupted them out of their own thoughts.

Hojung smiled, flashing her pearly teeth. “I’ll see you during lunch.”

“Later.” Jackson waved as Hojung made her way to her class. He shut his locker door and sighed in content.

 

Lunch finally came around after boring lectures of God-knows-what.

Jaebum, Jinyoung and Jackson made their way to their usual spot behind the cafeteria where their favorite shady tree was. They sat down at the table and conversed.

Jinyoung laughed at Jackson’s impression of a giant teddy bear and looked up. His eyes widened. “WOAH~” His jaw hung open.

“What?” Jaebum and Jackson turned their heads in the direction of Jinyoung’s gaze. Jaebum’s eyes rounded as well.

Hojung stopped short and stared back, wide-eyed. She glanced behind her but saw no one. She looked at Jinyoung and Jaebum with curious expressions. “Oh!” Then she pointed to her hair and took her seat next to Jinyoung. Jackson slid his lunch towards her and she grabbed the extra pair of chopsticks.

Jaebum and Jinyoung both reached out and her hair. Hojung stopped chewing and planted her elbows on the table. “It’s real, you guys.” She rolled her eyes playfully.

Jackson chuckled and slapped their hands away. “Eat your food, you weirdos!”

“I gotta hand it to you, Hojung. You pack a mean punch.” Jaebum winked at her.

Hojung’s facial expression turned serious and she covered her face, mortified. Jinyoung patted her shoulder comfortingly. “She deserved it for being such a to you.” Jackson muttered clearly enough for Hojung to hear.

She suddenly stood up. “I’m going to go get a soda! Anybody want one?” She blurted. Before they could bombard her with requests, she covered her ears and briskly walked away. She stuck her tongue out at them and disappeared around the corner.

Hojung came to her favorite vending machine on the second floor and looked at all her options. She was stuck between the grape flavor and her favorite, orange. She puffed her cheeks out in and inserted her money. Her finger hovered over the button for the grape soda and at the last second she pressed the button for an orange soda.

A voice she knew all too well called her. “Hojung.” She froze in her spot and slowly turned around. Mark’s eyes flickered in surprise at her hair. “Wow...you’re hair...” He reached out to touch it.

Hojung took a step back and Mark’s face fell. Hojung stared at him, her expression blank. Mark put his hand down and cleared his throat awkwardly. “I wanted to apologize to you for yelling at you Saturday night.”

Her eyes rounded in mild shock. Was he really apologizing to her?

“But...” Mark started. Hojung felt everything going in the opposite direction she thought of. “You had no right to hurt Tasha like that.”

Hojung’s jaw went rigid and she stared at Mark with a look of disbelief. “She’s only trying to be friends with you.” He said.

Hojung scoffed and smirked in repentance. “I can’t believe I’ve liked you for so long.”

Mark’s head whipped up and he stared at her. “What?”

“I liked you for the longest time. But it was a waste of time.” She stated. She fought back the tears forming in her eyes. “I don’t blame you for being in love but I can’t believe you’ve actually fallen for her acts.” Hojung  grabbed her soda out of the vending machine and spun around. She made her way back to the boys without a single glance back.