Catch Me if You Can

Pick Up Sticks

The manager then approached Chaerin "Chaerin-ah, what's with you? You're being rude to that customer"
"He was asking for my number, sir. And its company policy to not give your number to customers"

"Right! But please, don't be to harsh on him" the manager said and walked away. The rest of her day was peaceful and she liked it. To be honest, she wasn't expecting to see that Henry guy at the park to be walking in the coffer shop she's working in. Ever since that incident, with the dog barking at her and stuff; she kind of not want to see the owner and his cheesy pick up lines. "What does he think I am.. a stick? A stick that he can just pick off the ground and call it his?" She once said to herself. Chaerin wasn't really keen on guys asking her out, she doesn't have time and she's not interested on falling in love with all that's happening to her. With school, work, even more work and bills already filling her brain; she doesn't really need to think about boys so she came up with a rule for herself "NO BOYFRIEND"

She was sitting at the bench by the park one time, listening to her favorite band when she felt someone tap her shoulder and when she looked to who is responsible, she saw Henry
"Hi"
"Hello" she said.
"I was looking for you at the coffee shop"
she took off her earphones and said "It's my day off" and smiled
"Ahhh..." Henry said
"Yeah, where's your dog? uhmm... Rover?" Chaerin asked
"My hyung has him, he's gonna use Rover to get a girl or something"
"Really? Is Rover going to bark at ladies for him?" Chaerin joked
Henry let out a little laugh and said "What? No... Rover does that with beautiful ladies... ONLY"
"Oh yeah?" Chaerin asked
Henry nodded "Yup!... It's true. Did you know she barked at one for 4 days straight?"
"Really now..." she said, smiling
"Uh-huh. Most beautiful thing I ever saw" Henry said. Chaerin was about to answer when she remembered her "NO BOYFRIEND" rule. She stood up, looked at Henry and said "I'm sorry but I have to go". Henry, shocked said "Why?" and got a hand of Chaerin's wrist before she was able to run. "Can you please let go of me?" Chaerin said.
"Not if you tell me why? I've been chasing you around for days.. I just want to be friends" Henry said.
"I have... I have things to do." She said
"Can't I have your number.. at least?" Henry asked
"I'm sorry" she said again. She was able to wiggle her wrist out of Henry's grasp and walked faster than she should. 

When she got to her dorm, she immediately went to doing her homework. Thinking about what happened earlier, she kind of felt sad. "He's cute though but I just can't" she said to herself. She returned to working on her homework but she just can't take her mind off that Henry guy, his adorable smile and those dimples "Ugh... Lee Chaerin will you stop thinking about him!" she shouted at the air, getting angry at herself. She was able to finish her homework after 3 hours and with minutes of trying not to think about Henry. She didn't know what happened earlier, it's like she just felt like she wanted to talk to him. Maybe it was from him being very aggressive, his looks, or just his personality. One thing is for sure, she is falling and she's falling hard and fast.

She checked in at the cafe early and helped out clean some stuff, then she got dressed and ready for the opening. Henry was the first one that came and when he reached the counter Chaerin tried so hard not to smile. "Good Morning" she said
"Hi.. uhm one..." Henry started 
"Iced Americano? that'll be $2.50" she said with a smile
"Wow okay... so are we friends now?" Henry asked
Chaerin smiled and said "Please wait for your order.."
"At the pick up station... I know" Henry continued. Chaerin then attended to the other customers and when he heard the barista shout "One Iced Americano for Henry" she looked to the pick up station and saw Henry smile a little. She was going crazy on the inside but her face is trying so hard to show no emotion. She was full of energy after work that school hours passed by like a flash, his smile was able to fuel her up and she never got enough of it.


Every morning, she would always be ready to see him smile but when he did; her insides still would go ballistic, like there are a million butterflies dominating her stomach, her face went a little red one time and when she was asked about it, she said "It's just the heat" and smiled. Chaerin felt so alive whenever she sees him but one day, her manager called for her.
"Yes sir?"
"Yes.. I'm gonna make this quick. A new branch just opened at your school and the management decided to transfer you there for good. We were so happy at your performance, considering that you're a working student. So we decided to transfer you, it'll be much easier for you since it's in campus." the manager said
Chaerin forced a smile and thanked her manager, but she was really down inside. She was given a week to say goodbye to everybody in this branch but she just stayed quiet about it. She only told one person but she kept it real simple, saying "I'm moving to a new branch next week. I'll miss you all". When she said her goodbyes to everyone in her current branch, she got all of her things, emptied her locker and thanked everybody that was there and she promised to visit.

She went home and organized her stuff then she suddenly thought of Henry. "You were falling for him. Maybe this is a sign that you're not ready for a man yet" she said to herself. She felt sorry for Henry a little. She imagined what he would look like when he finds out, she let out a long sigh and focused on her stuff. She went to the new branch as instructed and immediately felt good about it. She was introduced to a few people and they all welcomed her then work began, she's a barista here but her job is much flexible now than before. After work, she would just change clothes; eat her lunch, take a few steps, then off to class. It was less tiring but still she felt like she's missing something. A few weeks into the job, she got close with one of her co workers, Dara; she found out that they were living in the same dorm and that they're like 3 doors apart. "How come I haven't seen you there?" Asked Dara.
"I don't go out much unnie"
"Ah.. Are you still in school?" She asked again and Chaerin nodded.
"Boyfriend?"
"No, I don't have one" she said, playing with her nails
"Eyyy... that's impossible. Not even like a guy who likes you or something?"
"Well... there is this guy..."
"Oh.. so there is..." Dara said. Chaerin then told her about Henry and how she's been keeping her feelings to herself. She also told Dara about her responsibilities and dilemmas, how she has a lot of weight on her shoulders. Dara can't help but feel bad for her so she said "Why don't I set you up on a date? Just one date. If you don't like him then we'll stop". Dara was smiling so hard and pouting and waiting for Chaerin to say yes. "C'mon it'll be fun. I can come too if you want. I'll bring my date. It'll be a double date? Yes?" Dara added. Chaerin gave up and said yes.


A/N : Chapter 2! Yaay :) I don't have anything else to say but thanks. I added a pair as well. I know I had to make it work somehow so I just added a channel of love her c/o Hae and Dara. I know it's a shock to everyone but believe me people I ship them too; Royal in training right here! [if there are any errors or something I do apologize for that]