Chapter 3

Orchid In Plural

My dad never did come home. Jongin and I went to school and then ballet class. Kim You Jung was there before us, using the dance studio with her own personal trainer. Jongin was hypnotized. I only watched him and wished those eyes were upon me. She finished and then we went in for our class.

After ballet class Jongin walked me home. When we arrived police men were outside my house. “Can I help you?” They all looked at me and Jongin. There were 4 of them and 2 police cars parked in front of my house. “Yes. Do you live here?” he looked like the oldest of the 4. Maybe 40, confident and has a very warm voice. “Yes. Did my father do something?” They all exchanged looks. “Do you have a family member we can talk to?” Is my dad in trouble? Family member? Words were being forced into my brain to digest. Jongin held onto my back-pack. He does that to let me know he’s here for me. “I only live with my father. Can you please tell me what’s going on?” The younger officers look at the elder. He knows what’s best. “It would be better if we talked to someone close to your father. Perhaps a friend?” Dad doesn’t have many friends. “You can talk to my family. They’ve known each other for a while.” Jongin said joining my side.