Chapter 3

Tantris Onara

After the slow song request, the DJ fired up the crowd with upbeat hip-hop and Tristan asked Aaron to try some of the b-boy moves she'd been teaching her. They danced feverishly, laughing and having a great time, as they usually did whenever they were together.



The birthday party planners sat and helped themselves to more cake. Mouth full, Milk remarked, "Not bad after all, Ms. Baker."

"Thanks!" Chiao said. She noticed Aaron and Tristan's dancing fervour and pointed at them, "Look at the twins."

They were now doing call and answer moves. Milk said, "Hmm - Aaron's getting pretty good at that."

Chiao said, "I meant look at them because they look like twins."

Milk laughed, "What else is new?"



When the current song ended, the pair joined Milk and Chiao for more cake and more laughs. But after awhile, their buddy-buddy routine started becoming alienating, so Chiao asked Milk to go dance with her.

Alone at the table, Tristan and Aaron took turns making each other laugh, until Aaron's phone buzzed in her back pants pocket. Her mom had texted her a birthday greeting. Tristan watched her friend's fingers as she texted back. They flicked around the phone's screen like little magic wands.



Aaron returned the phone back into her pocket, and noticed Tristan seemed a bit distant.

"You hoo...." Aaron waved a hand in front of Tristan's face to snap her out of it.

"Yeah, hi," Tristan replied. Aaron's eyes widened as if waiting for something more than a "hi".

Tristan came right out with it. "You remember that text you sent me that time - the really embarrassing one?"

Aaron rolled her eyes, "Are you ever gonna let me live that down?"

Tristan continued, "No, listen. I kinda selfishly wished it had been meant for me."

Aaron wasn't sure how to react. After a moment's silence (if silence can be had at a loud dance club), Tristan brushed it off and said, "Oh, nevermind. That was silly of me to say."

Another heavy silence followed. The outside noise just didn't seem to affect this one-on-one conversation. The two girls caught each other's stare and for a moment, there was a small spark. Aaron broke their gaze by suddenly shouting, "Let's dance!"



Tristan followed her to the floor, and like before, they boogied up a storm until last call at the shooter bar. As patrons slowly departed, their dancing neighbours became sparse. They paid no mind to the imminent closure of the club, nor to the last few party-goers snapping final photo memories. Quite randomly between laughs and dance gestures, there was another flash, but this time not from a camera. It was that same spark that passed between them at the table moments earlier.

Aaron was confused. She was dancing hard. Her heartbeat was elevated, she was a bit sweaty and a bit tired. Was that heartbeat only quickened from dancing?

Though her body was still in close proximity to Aaron's, Tristan stopped dancing. This made Aaron stop too. Tristan suddenly looked very vulnerable, almost like a small girl. Aaron mussed her hair as an excuse to draw her closer. Tristan approached until their shoulders were touching. She rubbed her forehead against Aaron's and they both giggled. Looking at each other's smiling eyes, now it was clear. Tristan brushed against Aaron's small lips. Aaron closed her eyes and pressed her face nearer, absorbing the slow-moving kiss.

The music stopped, as house lights began to illuminate the near-empty club.

Tristan pulled away from the kiss and whispered,


"Happy birthday."