1

내 유일한 사랑 [My Only Love]

"Yifan, I will hand down my whole fortune to you. But with one condition," Mr.Wu began calmly.

Yifan, who was happy to hear the news, suddenly grew speechless. What condition did this old man want? If he wanted to give it to him, then just give! What was this 'condition' talk?

"What condition?" asked Yifan, taking a deep breath to calm his temper.

"Marry Park Chanyeol," replied his father sternly . It had been his dream to make Chanyeol his son-in-law. Not because the boy's wealth, but because the boy was polite and simply made of solid perfection.

"What?!" Yifan screeched as he shot up from the luxurious red velvet sofa. "Dad! He killed Tao! How can you want that killer to become your son-in-law? I don't want to marry him. Not if he doesn't give back my little brother! I won't!"

Yifan walked towards his bedroom and ignored his father yelling back at him. "Tao is dead, Yifan! Accept it! And it was never Chanyeol's fault!"

The bedroom door's slam echoed throughout the halls. Yifan threw himself onto his soft king-sized bed. The glass door of the balcony wide open. He closed his eyes and sighed, Tao's laughter from the past ringing in his ears.

 

"Ge! Let's play tag!" Tao, who had just turned nine years old, requested.

Yifan nodded. "Chanyeol-ah, do you want to play along?"

"Of course! It is not fair if just the two of you play! I want to join, too!" Chanyeol approached towards the two siblings. That time, Yifan was12 years-old while Chanyeol was one year younger than him.

"Let's play rock, scissors, paper to see who the tagger will be," suggested Tao.

"Okay! Annae myeon jinda, kawi, bawi, bo!" Only Tao put out scissors while the two older put out rock, and that meant he is the chaser.

"Haha! Tao is the chaser! Okay, Kung Pan Tao. Run after us, okay?" Chanyeol quickly pulled Yifan's hand and dashed away.

The park, which was noisy with other children's voices, were long forgotten by the three boys. Chanyeol ran as fast as he could as the younger chased him.

"Yeollie-ge! Don't run to fast!" Tao whined. He was so tired.

Chanyeol ran. He was too tired to talk. He continued running. His small feet brought him to the road separating the park and the three boy;s homes. He hurriedly crossed the road when he saw no cars. Chanyeol arrived at the opposite street and ran. His destination, the house! Tao chased with laughter. Forgetting to watch for cars on the road, he quickly crossed the road . Just then, a speeding car drove down the street.

"Tao! Careful!" Yifan shouted at the top of his lungs.

Tao, who was on the road got shocked when he heard his big brother's loud voice. He stopped running and looked back to see Yifan running frantically towards him, a panicked look in his eyes. At that moment, Tao spotted the car speeding towards him. He froze and it all happened to fast. 

"Tao!!!"

Chanyeol heard Yifan's shout and stopped to look back. He heard a loud crash and a chill crawled up his spin, his eyes widening when his vision caught sight of Tao's small body drenched in blood a few feet away from where the car hit him. His red blood splattered on the car and the pavement around him. The guilty driver moved backwards and sped away, leaving the wounded boy. Yifan, paralyzed with shock, could only stand speechlessly at the roadside.

Chanyeol quickly ran towards Tao with tears . He could see Tao's frail body trembling as blood trickled down his mouth. He placed the younger head on his lap, tears pouring down his cheeks.

"Tao! Tao! Wake up! Tao! Tao!" Chanyeol shouted. A crowd began to gather and saw the bleeding Tao, whose breath could be barely heard. Yifan stood at the roadside, unable to take one step twoards his beloved younger brother.

'Ge, do you like Chanyeollie-ge? I like Yeollie-ge! I want to marry him when I grow up!' Tao's cute voice replayed like a mantra in Yifan's head. He looked at his younger brother's still body. Soon, the ambulance arrived and carried Tao to the hospital.

Noticing the elder's expression, Chanyeol walked closer to Yifan. "Yifan-hyung!" he called worriedly.

Yifan realize that his little brother wasn't there anymore. He searched for the little boy.

"Where Tao?! Where Tao?!" Yifan shouted.

"They brought him to the hospital. Let's go to the hospital!" Chanyeol pulled the elder boy hand but instantly got pushed away.

"We? Don't ever even hope ot see Tao again! You murdered him! If you didn't cross the road, Tao wouldn't have followed you! You are a killer! A murderer!"

Chanyeol's petite body got shoved away and he fell on the ground, a glass shard from the road side jutting into his head. Chanyeol began wailing, half from the pain, but the other half from the fact that Yifan had just pushed him away and now hated him. 

Yifan saw the blood cascading down the younger's head and his eyes shifted back to the pool of Tao's blood on the road. He immediately ran back towards his house to tell his parents. With a dark heart, he prayed and hoped that Chanyeol would vanish from this world.

 

"Chanyeol-ah!" Mrs.Wu called.

Yifan, who had heard his mother's voice, immediately awakened from his reflection of the past. He walked closer to the balcony. But his legs stopped at the doors as he saw his mother at the house to theirs with a young, tall boy standing at the entrance. It was Chanyeol. Yifan hadn't seen the boy for a while now. He had purposely told the boy to never appear in front of him again a few years ago, and that's what the boy did. But in those few years, miracles seemed to have occurred, for Chanyeol had grown taller and considerably skinnier, completing transforming from his former chubby self. Those elf-ears remained, however slightly covered by his slightly long black hair, and his glasses had changed from round to large, black thickly framed ones. 

Mrs.Wu gave the cute boy a bowl of freshmade salad. Chanyeol beamed. Yifan could recognize those blinding white teeth and that beautiful smile from anywhere. And his voice. His voice had dramatically changed from high-pitched to a silky smooth and soothing baritone.

"Thank you, auntie. Uhm...do you want to come in? Chatting with eomma?" Chanyeol suggested.

"It's okay. I have to do the house chores" Mrs.Wu replied with a shake of her head.

"Oh...Okay" Chanyeol smiled. His smile melted the woman heart.

"Chanyeol."

The boy look into the woman eyes. "Yes, auntie?"

"Have you thought about marriage yet?"

"Oh? Auntie... I haven't graduate yet." His cheeks flushed red.

"When you graduate, do you want to get married?" inquired Mrs.Wu.

"Who doesn't want to get married, Auntie? Of course I do! But I haven't really found anyone yet."

Chanyeol's statement made Mrs.Wu grin up to her ears."You are so adorable and beautiful. How can there be no one in your heart?" 

"I'm studying, Auntie. There is no time to find the good partner yet," Chanyeol's answer was continued by his mother, Mrs.Park. "Of course there's time! But this kid is picky! Rejecting right to left. How long will it take to end, I can't even accurately say it," said Mrs.Park.

"Eomma! It's not like that!"

Chanyeol suddenly felt like a pair of eyes were observing him and he glanced up to see Yifan watching from his balcony. He looked away and hurriedly stepped back into the house. The women mistook that action for embarrassment and laughed loudly.

"Chanyeol is indeed a beautiful person," praised Mrs.Wu.

"Thank god his heart also beautiful," Mrs. Park replied.

"He really doesn't have anyone he wants to be with?" Mrs.Wu asked.

"If we talk about marriage, he would change the topic!"

"Hmmm.... if that's so, how about we just marry Yifan and Chanyeol?" Mrs.Wu suggested.

Mrs.Park stiffened and the atmosphere slowly grew cold. "It's not like we don't want it. But you know, Yifan still blaming Chanyeol because of Tao's accident and Chanyeol is... well, reluctant to even look at Yifan... How can they be together? It's been 12 years already since the tragedy. But they haven't said a word to each other since then."

"Juyeon-ah, we never blamed Chanyeol. Nothing was Chanyeol's fault. About Yifan, I'll settle it. So, do we agree?

"I'll talk to Chanyeol about this. I want him to be happy."

Mrs.Wu nodded, a sign that she understood.

When she was about to turn around to leave, Mrs.Park called out. "Qiao-unnie! Thanks for the salad!" Mrs.Wu smile and nodded once again.

 


 

"I don't care what you think about it! You have to marry Chanyeol!" Mrs.Wu stared at her son sharply, who was watching the football match on the television.

Yifan gritted his teeth.

"Mama! I don't wanna!" Yifan retaliated as he glared back at her.

"Okay. Tomorrow, your dad and I will donate all of our wealth to the orphanage," threatened Mrs.Wu.

Yifan widened his eyes at once. "Mama!"

Mrs.Wu ignored her son and walked away. Yifan throw the TV remote onto the floor. He tried to massage his head and look at the grandfather clock. What the- it was 2 a.m.?

Yifan grabbed his cell. 'Wait! You don't have that murderer's number!' Without wasting time, he went to the home phone on a small white table. There was a contact list there. He searched for 'Park Chanyeol'. Yes! Got it! He typed the number fast to dial the boy's number.

Chanyeol, who was reading a book got startled as his phone began ringing loudly. Mrs. Wu? But it's two in the morning. He answered it slowly.

"Yeoboseyo?".

"I want to meet you right now! Meet at the park!" Yifan ordered.

"But who are you?" Chanyeol questioned, not recognizing this voice. It was deep, nearly as deep as Mr. Wu's, but it was neither Mr. Wu's or Mrs. Wu's voice.

"The big brother of the one who you killed!" Yifan snapped and hung up, grabbing his coat and heading out the door.

Chanyeol was speechless. Tao... Yifan-hyung? But he thought Yifan never wanted to see him again. Not to mention Yifan's voice had gotten much lower throughout the years they hadn't talked to each other.

Chanyeol changed his clothes and put on his glasses before stuffing his phone into his pocket and rushing out the door.

Chanyeol ran towards the park. When he arrived at the roadside, the accident from twelve years ago returned and replayed again in his head. The blood that wet the road, the wound on his head, Tao's and Yifan-hyung's face. He touched his forehead that have been scarred.

When he saw Yifan's silhouette, he quickly ran towards the tall figure, who was standing under the road lamps.

"Yifan-hyung!" he called.

Yifan spotted the younger and his gaze hardened, however, couldn't stop his heart was beating erractically in his chest. He told himself that he was just somewhat nervous. He hadn't talked to the boy for so long and now he was telling him to marry him. 

"Marry me. Be my wife!" Yifan demanded directly.

Chanyeol jolted in startlement. "What?!" He frowned and took a step backwards, his round oval eyes staring hard at the slightly taller blonde.

"I will only receive Baba's wealth if I  marry you. So, marry me" Yifan demanded once again.

Chanyeol studied Yifan's face, noticing how throughout the years, Yifan's jawline had become sharper, his eyes darker, and his thick eyebrows caving in even more than before making him look naturally angry. Chanyeol wasn't even sure if Yifan was simply looking at him or glaring at him. Probably glaring. But he shook his head. He wasn't going to marry someone who had never wanted to see him again.

"No..." Tears welled up in his eyes as he looked down at the paved sidewalk. 

"You have to accept it! This will solve everything!"

Chanyeol swallowed his saliva and gathered confidence to look straight into the elder's eyes. "Solve your problems by yourself, you selfish bastard! You think I'm a e? You think getting married like this will solve everything? Marriage only happen when two people love each other until death!" Chanyeol yelled at the taller, dark eyes piercing through Yifan's. 

"Atone for your sins! Marry me! Tao requested..." Yifan began and suddenly wondered why he was so desperate. Money. That's why. What he wanted was money. What he wanted was enough for him to lie, even if it was about his beloved deceased little brother. "He asked me to marry you! He hoped that you will become one of our family one day!"

Tao did? Tao... Chanyeol close his eyes tight for awhile. Tao, I love you like my own blood brother. If that what you wanted from me, then I will compensate for everything.

Chanyeol's round eyes smiled softly. He decided.