sarangddeok

sarangddeok

"Flank left, their Lux is in the jungle -- she's looking to gank," Jongin exclaims over the headset, and Chanyeol immediately clicks his map back to his tower, abandoning it in favor of chasing down their opponent. He catches Lux by their Red and jumps her. She's down in seconds, taken by surprise.

ALL < oshunt >: elise op as someone pls nerf

Chanyeol types a quick response.

ALL < chanpion >: qq cry more get gud

Jongin's laughter rings in his ear through the headset and Chanyeol leans up to highfive him over the wall between them. Plopping back down in his chair, he recalls back to the nexus for health, using the brief moment to shove a huge lump of lukewarm instant noodles into his mouth. Chewing obnoxiously, he sniffs, rubbing at his nose and swallows, heading off into his lane again.

The game lasts another good twenty minutes before they take down the nexus, and Chanyeol's whooping excitedly, hopping up to peer at Jongin across the wall, bumping fists with the other.

"We're gonna hit Platinum rank in no time," Chanyeol beams proudly, gathering up his trash and checking his watch. Jongin nods before wrinkling his nose, picking idly at one of the pimples on his cheek.

"You're going to Sarangddeok again, aren't you?" he questions irritably, brunette hair almost hiding his eyes from view. Chanyeol nods excitedly, pushing his glasses up his nose and logging out of the computer.

"It's almost four; they're about to go on a shift change." Balancing two empty bowls of ramyun and a half eaten box of ddeok in one hand, he grabs up his backpack with the other. Jongin just sighs, waving idly.

"We need to practice more...Come back when you're done, okay?" Chanyeol assures him he will and salutes before stumbling out the door, dumping his trash in the wastebin outside. The sunlight is bright, much brighter compared to the inside of the internet cafe, and it makes him blink, squinting in the light of day. 

Once his eyes are better adjusted, Chanyeol shrugs his backpack onto his shoulders and fixes his glasses again, glancing down at himself. He's been wearing the same tshirt for the past two days, he realizes with concern. Zipping up his jacket, he deems it passable -- at least nobody thinks you're weird for wearing the same jacket several days in a row. Checking his watch again, he curses at himself for taking too long on their last game and breaks into a run down the block.

Sarangddeok is deep in the heart of Hongdae, hidden between karaoke bars and clubs and billiard houses. The building is rather inconspicuous, fairly average looking, if not for the cutesy logo and the pink front door. The cafe specials are posted in the window in big bubble letters. Peeking around to make sure that nobody's watching, Chanyeol keeps his head down and ducks into the cafe.

The bell over the door rings when he enters and a cute chorus of "Annyeonghaseyo~" rings through the small cafe, tables tucked into every corner. There's only a few people there, mostly weird guys and older men. The waitresses, cute young girls in maid outfits flitter from table to table with food and board games.

"Welcome to Sarangddeok; just one?" The voice that welcomes him is smooth and steady and Chanyeol's stomach does at least three flips as he peeks up through his glasses.

Kyungsoo, written in pink bubble hangul, gleams from his little nametag.  Chanyeol nods quickly, tugging on the strings of his beanie slightly, a bit of a nervous habit. Kyungsoo doesn't seem to notice, instead giving him a polite smile before looking down at the menu in front of him. "Do you have any preference in waitress?"

"No," Chanyeol mumbles out, rubbing at the back of his neck. He isn't really here for the waitresses, but how would Kyungsoo know that. "I'll sit anywhere."

"Alright then. Follow me." Kyungsoo gathers up the menu and guides Chanyeol to a small table for two, setting the menu down and assuring him his waitress would be with him in just a moment. Chanyeol fumbles over his words, merely giving him an enthusiastic nod before Kyungsoo leaves to return to his post.

Chanyeol settles his chin in his hand with a sigh, watching the other walk away.

"Oppa, you're early today!" A young girl, tall and tan, in a too short black maid outfit and stockings hurries her way over to Chanyeol's table. Her smile is kittenish and her sharp eyes could entice any man.

If Chanyeol swung that way, maybe.

"Hi Taozi," Chanyeol offers a bright smile. "You're my lady today?"

"Actually, Yixing is, but she's a little caught up in the kitchen, so I thought I'd say hi." Chanyeol nods in understanding. "Can I get you something to drink at least?" Chanyeol sends Zitao off with an order for a glass of orange juice and she flounces her way back to the kitchen, skirt swishing while she walks. Chanyeol doesn't really let his gaze linger, but as he glances back towards Kyungsoo, he catches Joonmyun (Zitao's regular) peering over the top of his laptop hopelessly, watching her walk away. Poor guy.

Kyungsoo glances up when he feels Chanyeol's gaze and Chanyeol tries to nonconspicuously turn his head the other way, pretending to wave at Yixing when he spots the girl finally leaving the kitchen, her bow crooked in her hair.

"Hi Chanyeol. It's nice to see you back," Yixing greets warmly and Chanyeol can't help but smile. Yixing is always so sweet and treats him well when he comes. "Though you're here every day, so I'm not surprised." She laughs gently, playful, and Chanyeol rubs his cheek with an awkward laugh.

Yixing brings him his food and he eats relatively quietly, though eventually Yixing slides into the chair across from him, propping her chin up in her palm. "You know," she starts, and Chanyeol raises his brows, chewing on his ddeok quietly. "If you just asked Kyungsoo for his number, I'm sure he'd give it to you."

Chanyeol chokes on his ddeok and it takes a flustered Zitao to scurry away from Joonmyun's table to wap hard on his back a few times to clear his throat. Swallowing hard, he wipes at his mouth with a napkin. Kyungsoo looks mildly alarmed from his place at the host booth, but when Zitao gives him an 'OK' with her fingers, he slowly looks back down at the magazine he was flipping through. Chanyeol feels his cheeks heat up with embarassment, and Joonmyun's deathglare from three tables down isn't helping. At least that stops when Zitao hurries back to his table with a cute, 'Sorry, opp~a,' and the tap tap of her heels. 

Once his windpipe is clear of rice cake, Chanyeol shies into his seat slightly, giving Yixing a wounded look. "Do you have to say things like that so loud...?" he asks weakly, but Yixing just laughs pleasantly, picking up his fork to steal a bite of his ddeok. Chanyeol doesn't even try to look offended. 

"I'm just saying that you come in here every day, but you never talk to him," she shrugs, humming happily around the food, turning a sleepy gaze towards the other two girls on the floor. Zitao is currently feeding a redfaced Joonmyun a bite of ddeok, whilst Luhan's beating some poor old guy at chinese checkers. Chanyeol wrinkles his nose and hopes, for his own sake, that he isn't still sitting in maid cafes when he's in his forties and then some. 

"I...He'd probably find that weird," Chanyeol shakes his head defeatedly and steals another glance at Kyungsoo, who's still looking through his magazine. Chanyeol cranes his neck slightly as if that'd help him see what it was.

"To be honest, I think he finds you staring at him and never introducing yourself a lot weirder." Yixing steals another bite of Chanyeol's food, but considering he was done anyways, he doesn't mind too much. Chanyeol frowns, rubbing at the side of his face and he knows Yixing's right, but getting up and talking to someone you oogle at pretty much every day (except Thursdays, because Jongin gets really mad at him if he doesn't come over on Thursdays to play ranked matches. Really mad.) is a lot harder than it seems.

"I don't even think he likes boys, Yixing," Chanyeol mutters, turning his gaze back down to his now empty plate, and Yixing a bit of sauce off her thumb. 

"He likes boys," is all she says before she's standing up and patting Chanyeol on the head, taking his dishes back to the kitchen. Chanyeol watches her go, wriggling uncomfortably in his seat and stealing another glance at Kyungsoo. This time, the other is looking back, gaze curious and rather impassive, and Chanyeol, embarassed to be caught looking, tries frantically to look busy with something else.

When he peeks up again, Kyungsoo isn't looking anymore. His heart thuds disappointedly and he fishes out his wallet to pay for his meal and his time. Zitao waves at him when he passes by, and Joonmyun shoots him another wounded glare before managing to take back Zitao's attention again. 

Chanyeol makes his way up to Kyungsoo's booth and the other is waiting for him with a smile once he stands in front of it. "Cash?" Kyungsoo asks politely, and Chanyeol nods shyly before handing over his money. Kyungsoo takes it and counts it out, typing in a few things on the register before the drawer punches open and he grabs Chanyeol's change. 

Chanyeol's eyes get stuck on his lips, heart shaped and so soft looking, so inviting, and how badly he wants them to say his name. 

"Chanyeol," he blurts out suddenly, a little too loudly, and Kyungsoo jumps a bit, startled.

"Excuse me?" Kyungsoo questions, a brow lifted as he tilts his head at the other in confusion. Oh God, Chanyeol wants to crawl into a hole.

"My name, uh....My name is Chanyeol," he mumbles awkwardly, giving Kyungsoo one of his big dorky grins; the ones that show way too much teeth and make him look like more of a shark than a human. Kyungsoo's mouth falls open in a silent 'ah,' as he nods and hands over Chanyeol's money.

"It's nice to meet you, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo's smile is kind, though Chanyeol feels like there's an awkwardness in the air and it's all his fault. Yixing pops her head around the corner right as he's about to leave.

"Kyungsooyah," she croons nonchalantly, and Kyungsoo looks away from Chanyeol to the other.

"Yes, noona?"

"I forgot Chanyeollie's number. Could you get it for me?" Yixing's smile is innocent and she crinkles her eyes, as if Chanyeol isn't standing right in front of them both. Kyungsoo blinks in slight confusion before turning his wide-eyed gaze towards Chanyeol and tearing off a piece of receipt paper, handing him a pen.

Chanyeol makes some noise akin to a gurgle and Yixing merely giggles, thanking Kyungsoo and disappearing back around the corner. Chanyeol takes the pen and paper and hesitates for a minute before scratching down his phone number in awkward chicken scratch, his name written on the top. When he hands it back to Kyungsoo, he bows far too deeply and stumbles out the door as quickly as he can.

Kyungsoo stares at his retreat in confusion before peering down at the paper in his hand, head tilted again.

---

ALL < oshunt >: report varrus for feeding

ALL < kaidchicken >: gg go cry about it nerd thanks for the free win

Jongin nearly jumps out of his skin when Chanyeol appears from nowhere, stricken and draping himself over his shoulders. Fumbling for his mouse, he tries to cancel his League queue before he gets into Character Select.

"What's going on?? You never come back this early," Jongin grumbles in confusion. "Can you get off? You're heavy.." When Chanyeol finally obliges, groaning and flopping into the chair beside him, Jongin tries to fix his blazer, the school uniform a little crumpled and quite obviously unwashed. Chanyeol slumps back in his chair, an arm thrown dramatically over his eyes.

"It's over, man, it's all over," he wails quietly to the sounds of Starcraft in the background. "I've been nerfed. GG, we fed the enemy now the nexus is comprimised."

Jongin blinks before turning back to the computer. "What did you do, barf on his shoes?" Boredly, he opens up the internet browser, unable to really focus on his game at the moment, instead pulling up the forum boards to go check his 'LoL Training Sessions' post.

"No! Worse! I gave him my number!!" Chanyeol drops his arm exasperatedly and turns to flop his head down on the table, the strings of his beanie flopping sadly with him. Jongin shrugs, scrolling through oshunt's endless posts of, 'train me,' 'fight me,' 'ur not that good.' He never knew it was possible to have a LoL stalker until now.

"How is that a bad thing?" Mouth slackening a little at the lack of new posts, and thus new cash in his pocket, he exits out and pulls up a new game queue. Chanyeol groans and kicks at the foot of Jongin's chair. Jongin ignores him mostly and scrolls through the character list.

"Because he didn't ask for it! I mean -- it's hard to explain, but I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm weird now," Chanyeol grumbles, face smushed against the desk, forehead resting against the bottom of the keyboard.

"Maybe he'll call you. You never know." The sound of repeated clicking tells Chanyeol that Jongin's in-game and the conversation is pretty much a lost cause from that point. Lifting his head, Chanyeol lets out a sigh before sitting up and pulling up the League of Legends client. He's going to drown himself in his sorrows. Things don't hurt as bad when you gank people.

---

Chanyeol's phone rings the next day, way too early to be Jongin, and he pokes his head out of the bathroom curiously, toothbrush hanging from his mouth. The Kirby dream land theme song plays obnoxiously from his bed and he fumbles his way into the bedroom, rummaging through the blankets before finding the cellphone. Groping for his glasses, he shoves them on his face and scrunches his nose, squinting at the number. Whoever it was, they weren't in his contacts. Accepting the call, he brings it to his ear, turning to head back to the bathroom.

"Hello?" he mumbles around a mouthful of toothpaste and toothbrush.

"Hello? Chanyeol-ssi?" Kyungsoo asks back and Chanyeol runs straight into the doorframe, choking slightly. "Is this Chanyeol-ssi?" Running back to the bathroom, Chanyeol quickly spits his toothpaste out and drops his toothbrush in the sink, wiping at his face. "Hello..?"

"This is Chanyeol!" he manages to squeak out after a moment, heart racing fast enough that he's almost completely sure he's having a heart attack."Who -- Who is this?" He pretends he doesn't know.

"Ah...It's Kyungsoo, from Sarangddeok? Noona asked me to call you," Kyungsoo stifles a yawn as he talks and Chanyeol's pretty sure it's the cutest thing he's ever heard, propping himself up on the wall before he swoons right into the ground and cracks his head on the toilet. That'd be a way for Jongin to find him.

"Oh, Kyungsoo-ssi, hi, hey, how're you, sup." Chanyeol's never been the smoothest person. Kyungsoo laughs, however, and Chanyeol's practically soaring.

"Noona was wondering if you were coming in today. She said you left something here yesterday?" Chanyeol blinks, confused. He doesn't remember leaving anything there, except maybe his heart.

"Uh, yeah, sure," he starts, looking at the clock on the wall. It's only around ten am; that's not too early for ddeokbeoki, is it? "I can be there in a little bit. Let me get dressed."

"No rush! Noona's actually running a bit late.." Kyungsoo trails off, and Chanyeol can hear the tinkle of the bell in the background.

"I'll -- Well, I'll see you there Kyungsoo-ssi!" he blurts out quickly before hanging up without even getting a reply. Eyes wide, he stares at his phone, his dry lips. Kyungsoo just called him. On his personal phone -- it had to be his personal phone -- because Yixing'd programmed Sarangddeok's phone number into his cellphone weeks ago. 'So I can tell you if Kyungsooyah's working that day,' she'd assured him pleasantly.

. It's Thursday. His morality battles inside. Thursdays are Jongin's days. It's league day, all day, and he's supposed to pick up a bucket of fried chicken on his way over to the other's house. And Jongin's sister always treats him so well and his mom makes such amazing kimchi and --

Jongin will understand. Jongin is his bro. Jongin is his best bro. It'll be okay. There will be other Thursdays.

Chanyeol rushes back to his bedroom to get dressed, leaving his toothpaste covered toothbrush in the sink to deal with later and tearing into his closet for his cleanest, nicest looking clothes.

---

Chanyeol arrives to Sarangddeok in a tshirt that he's convinced is way too small, but Jongin's sister had assured him 'showed off his muscles.' Chanyeol wasn't even aware he had muscles, but Jongin's noona wasn't a liar. He'd forgone the beanie today, messy hair combed into some semblance of normality, and his jeans were actually clean and well fit. Pushing his thick glasses back up his nose, he flitters nervously outside the pink door before finally convincing himself to go inside.

The bell tinkles when he enters, but the host booth is empty. "Annyeonghaseyo~" still greets him cutely and Chanyeol stands around awkwardly for a moment before Luhan pops her head into the hall.

"Juuuust a minute," she beams, giving Chanyeol a thumbs up which Chanyeol returns immediately, unconsciously, because you always return a thumbs up.

"For what..?" Chanyeol trails off before he hears a slight scuffle and Kyungsoo comes stumbling out into the hall, a backpack clutched to his chest. Zitao and Yixing are close behind, aprons a bit rumpled and once again, Yixing's bows are crooked. Today, Zitao is wearing cat ears. Poor Joonmyun.

"Noona, I can't just leave--!"

"You can," Yixing assures him, patting his cheek lightly. Kyungsoo reddens embarassedly and gives Chanyeol an awkward smile. 

"Sorry, I'll seat you in a seco --"

"You're not seating anyone. Go, before I tell the manager that you didn't show up today," Luhan threatens playfully, shooing him closer to Chanyeol. Chanyeol, extremely confused and very nervous, looks to Yixing in confusion.

"Chanyeollie, Kyungsoo-yah here doesn't get out very much. He works so much. I trust you would be a good guide around Hongdae, right? Take him to lunch for noona?" Yixing's smile is far too sweet to mean anything good and Kyungsoo looks to Chanyeol in defeat.

"S-sure, of course!" Chanyeol has decided that Yixing is also a bro. Girls can be bros. Amazing bros. What a bro.

The girls kick them out of the restaurant quickly, and before Chanyeol realizes it, Kyungsoo and him are walking side by side down a street in Hongdae. The early lunch crowd bustles around busily and the district is already alive with activity. Chanyeol swallows hard, ears burning as he glances down at Kyungsoo nervously, not quite sure what to do with the mildly irritated expression on his face.

"Sorry about that," Chanyeol starts nervously, voice a little small, and Kyungsoo shakes his head, shrugging. 

"It's okay. It's not your fault. The girls are really weird there." The statement is so blunt that Chanyeol worries this isn't the first time they've done this. Are there other boys? Has Yixing tried to set Kyungsoo up before? "But they've never kicked me out on the clock before." Chanyeol's heart relaxes a little.

"Yeah, they're kinda silly," he mumbles, pushing his hands awkwardly into his pockets, not quite sure what to do with them.

"Are you and noona a....thing?" Kyungsoo's sudden question catches Chanyeol off guard and he sputters a little, giving a far too loud and awkward laugh.

"No! Uh, no, not even close. We're just friends." Kyungsoo perks a brow, and there's a slight hint of disbelief in his eyes. Chanyeol quickly waves his hands in front of him. "I don't even -- I mean -- I don't uh...like...girls." Chanyeol reaches up to scratch at his nose, turning away shyly because this is Korea, and you don't just tell people that. Oh God, what if Kyungsoo thinks he's weird now, or gross, and then he never sees him again --

"Really?" Kyungsoo asks, sounding rather surprised. Chanyeol sniffs hard, wrinkles his nose, and nods. "And you come to a maid cafe, every single day?"

"Uh...Yeah. It's weird, I know."

"A little." Kyungsoo laughs quietly, and Chanyeol can't help the grin that spreads across his lips, turning to look shyly down at the other. 

"It doesn't weird you out..?"

"Why would it?" Kyungsoo shrugs and Chanyeol feels his stomach loosen up a bit from where it'd tied itself into knots. The conversation turns off from there into more basic talk, simple things, and Chanyeol finds it easier and easier to conversate with Kyungsoo as they walk along. He finds out that Kyungsoo has an older brother, a dog named Pabo, that the magazines he reads every day are science magazines, that he's currently studying at Yonsei for a degree in Biology, and that Sarangddeok is just easy part time, because his uncle knows the manager. 

Chanyeol holds open the door to a small cafe, a good hole in the wall that Jongin and him both frequent, and lets Kyungsoo enter before following him closely.

"Uhm, get whatever you want, I'll pay," Chanyeol offers with a bright smile and Kyungsoo stares at him for a moment before nodding. He points to a couple things wordlessly and Chanyeol buys them without a second thought. 

With trays in hand, they carry their food to a small window booth and slide in across from each other. Chanyeol's too nervous, too fidgety to do much but play with his food, peeking up at Kyungsoo occasionally while he eats.

"So what sort of hobbies do you have," Kyungsoo asks conversationally, picking off a piece of his hot dog to stuff in his mouth. Chanyeol feels his neck heat up and he gives an awkward laugh, tinkling the ice around in his iced coffee.

"Mostly uh...Video games..I play a lot of MOBAs with my best friend and I mean, I like to play console stuff too." Kyungsoo looks a little lost on Chanyeol's terms, and he deflates a bit. Explaining games always makes him sound like a little kid, or worse, a nerd, and he's pretty sure if he had any Cool Factor points, they were quickly deplenishing.

"I mean, uh, I go to the gym too," Chanyeol lies through his teeth and he pretends to flex. Kyungsoo stares at him for a moment before laughing a little. Chanyeol tries a cheesy grin and hopes it's a laugh at him and not a laugh at him.

"Ah, I see," he hums and takes another bite of his hot dog. After swallowing, he raises a brow. "Aren't you going to ask me about my hobbies?" Chanyeol quickly drops his arm shyly and rubs at his nose with a laugh.

"Uh, yeah, I just...What're your hobbies?" It sounds so weird coming from his mouth, and Chanyeol has to hide his reddening ears behind the guise of smoothing down his hair. Kyungsoo nods a little before taking a sip of his juice. 

"Well, I like to write, and I garden. I like to read books." They have almost nothing in common so far and Chanyeol feels dejected. His chances feel like they're slipping right through his fingers. "I like to go on dates with weird looking boys who spend far too much time in maid cafes to put off the idea that they're anything but straight." Kyungsoo shrugs, voice nonchalant and takes another sip of his juice. "You know, the usual."

Chanyeol nods along seriously before he realizes what Kyungsoo said and his eyes widen slightly. "You -- wait, what?!"

Kyungsoo stares expressionlessly at Chanyeol before sighing. "You're really, really dense. Like really dense. I mean, I thought my roommate Baekhyun was stupid, but you take it to a whole new level." Chanyeol isn't sure if this is supposed to be a compliment, and finds his head tilting in slight confusion.

"I don't understand..?" Kyungsoo sighs before letting out a laugh.

"You come into my work almost every day, and you never stare at any of the waitresses. I catch you looking at me at least five times, every time you come, but I was pretty sure you were just trying to sneak a feel without me noticing. That's what a lot of the other gross guys that come there do." Chanyeol deflates visibly.

"You think I'm gross?"

"I didn't say that, but you do spend a lot of time in a maid cafe," Kyungsoo shrugs, blunt in tone but kidding in his eyes. "I didn't put two and two together until Yixing noona made me take your number and then pretended you left something. She looks innocent, but she's definitely the secret mastermind behind that gaggle of girls." He sighs quietly before giving a shrug.

"But this isn't a bad date. You are kinda awkward, but maybe on date two you'll loosen up." Kyungsoo offers a smile and Chanyeol's pretty sure his brain is dead. There's nothing but fuzz up there and he stares open mouthed and pretty stupid at Kyungsoo until the other reaches over and pushes his mouth closed. "Flies will land in there."

"So wait, this is a date?!" Chanyeol exclaims suddenly, gesturing wildly at the cafe. Kyungsoo raises a brow.

"Is it not?"

"Yes! I mean, it is? I want it to be, definitely," Chanyeol stammers, hands suddenly sweating with nerves. Kyungsoo shrugs slightly and smiles. 

"Then stop being so nervous." 

Chanyeol spends the rest of the date way too self-aware of his sweating palms and unable to stomach anything. Kyungsoo goes ahead and eats for both of them, and even offers to pay. That snaps Chanyeol out of his stupor long enough to quickly shake his head and fish out his wallet. They leave the cafe and head back towards Sarangddeok.

As they near the pink building, Chanyeol can't seem to get out of his head and clenches his hands nervously in his pockets, fidgeting. They near the door and he swallows, Kyungsoo pausing to reach up and tug Chanyeol down by the shoulder, pecking him on the cheek. Chanyeol flares up a brighter shade of red than before, and his heart leaps right out of his chest.

Kyungsoo just beams, thanks him for the date, and heads inside, the bell twinkling as the door swings shut. Chanyeol stands outside Sarangddeok dumbfounded for a good ten minutes before he somehow musters together enough brain cells to realize his phone is ringing.

"Hello..?" he answers weakly, cheek burning hot as the sun and still staring at the bubble letters on the door.

"Dude, where are you?! It's almost two o clock and I'm starving and you know noona doesn't come home to cook until like eight! We're supposed to be training! Are you at Sarangddeok?! I'll kill you if you're at Sarangddeok! You never abandon a bro!" Jongin's whining is loud and crisp in his ear and it's like a bucket of cold water. He knew the other'd be mad but more powerful forces were definitely at work here.

"I -- I'll be there as soon as I can! I got caught up! I'll buy extra chicken, I promise," Chanyeol assures him and quickly hangs up before Jongin can continue to whine, turning to break into a run down the Hongdae street. He feels lighter than air and his heart is squeezing in time to his steps.