04

Lost and Found

The sun was glaring in through the window and unconsciously, Junhyung grabbed a pillow to cover his eyes. He inhaled and realized where he was. This was not his room, but Hyunseung's. Quickly sitting up, he looked around. Hyunseung was staring down at where his head used to be. He was absolutely silent. Junhyung's cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"How did I get in bed? I was supposed to be watching you." he chucked nervously as he climbed out of bed and straightened his black v-neck tee out. Hyunseung just looked up at him with suspicious eyes.

"I don't know. I don't remember how I got into bed either." Shrugging, the brown haired boy started rubbing his eyes. "Well, no matter. If we don't start getting ready now, we'll be late for school." Junhyung looked around the room and smirked. This isn't what he imagined Hyunseung's room to look like. He had expected something a little messier from what Dongwoon had told him about Hyunseung. He was always talking about the older boy.

"I guess." Hyunseung stayed in his spot, sitting on the corner of the bed farthest away from Junhyung. "You can... uh... borrow something if you need to." his voice trailed off and he stood up and exited the room in a hurry. He rushed off down the hall the search for Dongwoon. How could he have let this happen? It didn't take long to find him. He was in the kitchen with a piece of toast. Hyunseung stopped dead in his tracks.

"What's up?" he asked innocently, nibbling on a crunchy corner. The elder boy scoffed and pointed in the direction of his room. "Ahhh." Dongwoon just nodded and shrugged it off. "Don't give me that face, hyung. It was late. I didn't want to send him home after he fell asleep looking after you for me." he chuckled. "It's not like I did something terrible, right?" Dongwoon's logic found it's way into Hyunseung's mind and he mulled it over in his head.

"Alright, fine, but this was the last time, got it?" he snapped and he mussed his hair to take his mind of the situation at hand. It was upsetting to know he had shared a bed with someone he despised. Dongwoon crossed the kitchen in two strides and pinched Hyunseung's cheeks.

"Glad you're back to yourself." he moved in close to the other's face and touched his forehead to Hyunseung's. "Looks like you're not sick either. Take care of yourself, please!" Hyunseung backed away, a little disgruntled. He retreated back to his room, flinging the door open only for it to stop.

"Uh?" Junhyung peeked out from behind the door shirtless. "Do you need something? I'm almost done..." he moved out from behind the door and pulled his shirt on. Hyunseung rolled his eyes. He had forgotten there was a visitor in his room. He opened his closet a crack and reached in and grabbed a shirt and a sweater. They were random and did not match at all. Junhyung smirked and grabbed his stuff which consisted of his shirt and his school backpack. He really hadn't gone home last night after all.

"So, I'm sorry you had to stay here. I'll make it up to you." he blurted our and rushed out of the room into Dongwoon's empty room. His heart was going a mile a minute and his ears were ringing. He got ready as fast as he could, going through his routine at lightning speed and left before Junhyung and Dongwoon. He was out the door before they could even say anything. He practically ran all the way to school and he flopped into a chair as soon as he got to the group's spot in the lounge.

"What are you wearing? Where is Dongwoon?" Kikwang asked curiously. He had his notebook out and a bag of snacks on the side. Yoseob stuck his hand in the bag and pulled out a few crisps and popped them in his mouth, trying to stifle his smile.

"I don't really know. I don't care either." he huffed, trying to catch his breath. Kikwang was used to being answered like that. He sighed and went back to looking over his notes.Doojoon handed him a napkin.

"I'll kill you if you drip sweat on this book." he said it with a smile. It was eerie. Junhyung was the next to appear. He was holding one of Hyunseung's cardigans. Yoseob immediately perked up. Kikwang looked around, waiting for the one person missing from their group. Hyunseung tuned away from the new comer and laid his head on the table to face Doojoon.

"Did you come with Dongwoon?" he asked shyly, trying to making himself as small as possible. He was still somewhat embarrassed by this morning. Junhyung rolled his eyes and took the seat in the middle of Hyunseung and Yoseob. Delighted, Yoseob scooted closer to Junhyung.

"He went to class early, but he wanted me to give this to you. He said you picked out weird clothes again." Junhyung put the cardigan on the table and Kikwang slouched a little, disappointed. Junhyung said his goodbye and left  and got up and left. Yoseob tried to shake Hyunseung out of his catatonic state.

"Do you guys have the same shirt?" he was starting to badger the worn out boy, but Doojoon hushed him.

"Is something wrong with you two?" Doojoon hushed Yoseob and nudged Kikwang. He didn't dare lay a finger on Hyunseung, though. It would most likely startle him. Kikwang immediately turned back into his perky self, shaking his head.

"I just had a question. I can ask him about it later." he waved his free hand as the other stuffed food in his mouth. Hyunseung sat up and shrugged. He changed sweaters wordlessly and tried to stuff the other one in his backpack but there was a loose paper floating around.

I think Kikwang is hiding something. I don't think he notices, but he lets it out some times when Dongwoon isn't around. His face looks sad like when he runs out of food, but probably worse. I don't understand but I feel like maybe I look like that too at times. Maybe Dongwoon has that effect on people.

Hyunseung froze and crumpled the paper up, leaving it at the bottom of his pack as he stuffed the cardigan in roughly. Another leaflet from his journal, another reminder that this person was trying to haunt him. Doojoon shot him a worried glace, but he just smiled back sheepishly, trying to reassure him. It worked. They all went their separate ways to their classes. The day went by surprisingly fast. Hyunseung tried his best again to be social and outgoing. It was a little rougher this time since he wasn't running on pure adrenaline and he was feeling a little more self conscious than usual. The whole day felt mentally draining, especially because he was also avoiding Junhyung. He skipped English class for the second time in a row and fled to the table where Junhyung was waiting for him.

"You're not going to class today either?" Hyunseung asked before Junhyung could nag about missing class again. Junhyung had a genuine smile on his face, but it seemed a little depressed.

"No, I'm going home. I am having some problems, actually." he admitted and stood up. "Shall we walk home together?" Hyunseung tried to calm the raging embarrassment he felt at the moment. Even after being ignored all day, Junhyung still wanted to walk home with him. It seemed a little fishy.  Before he could answer, Junhyung's phone rang. He picked it up, listened for a bit, then slipped the phone in his pocket and started walking the opposite way.

"You're going the wrong way." Hyunseung called after him, but he kept walking.

"I'm heading to class. I'll see you later!" he waved and continued on his way. Since he was alone, he pulled out his journal and decided to write something. It had been a while since he'd even touched the little red booklet.

I don't know if my life is getting better or getting worse. Maybe it's getting better. There is one thing that is still bothering me. I don't get why Junhyung is so nice to me. I haven't ever been nice to him ever. I have pretty much hated him since I met him, but he reminds me a little bit of Dongwoon when we first became friends.

Hyunseung stopped writing because he could feel someone breathing down his neck. He immediately closed the book at looked right at Dongwoon.

"And you're not in your English class because...?" Dongwoon raised an eyebrow curiously. Hyunseung pouted. He was caught. Dongwoon sat down next to him and waited for an answer.

"I'm tired." he didn't really have a better reason. "That's about it." Hyunseung looked over the younger boy's face, but there wasn't any emotion. He just nodded and put one of his books on the table and lay his head down, facing Hyunseung's direction. Dongwoon took a deep breath and held it. As he exhaled slowly, Hyunseung put his head down on his journal and watched Dongwoon's face again. Still no emotions. He imagined that that's how Dongwoon felt when he was looking him, like watching someone who didn't have a soul.

"Remember when you asked me about what it feels like to like someone?"

"Yes. Why?" Hyunseung's stomach was twisting into knots. He felt like his body knew something he didn't, his brain was preparing for impact.

"It feels like you're flying when things are going well. When nothing is going wrong, it's wonderful. Once things go bad, it feels like you're falling. You never know when you'll hit the ground." He stopped and sighed.

"Have you hit the ground yet?" Hyunseung's voice was shaky. He wasn't sure if he wanted to know the answer to his own question, but he asked anyway. Instead of shying away, Dongwoon answered quite quickly.

"I think I might have." Hyunseung was getting sick to his stomach. Despite that, he smiled to try and reassure his friend. He could hear Dongwoon's breathing wavering slightly, like he was trying to hold back his emotions.

"I won't let that happen. Do I know her?" 

"Him. You know him." With that, Hyunseung sat up, grabbed his journal and left Dongwoon at the table. He couldn't take it anymore. He felt like his heart was crumbling inside him and his hands were trembling. He somehow made it to the apartment complex and stomped up the stairs. He noticed his neighbor's door open. Peeking over, he noticed Jaekyung was sitting in the doorway. She looked up at him and tilted her head.

"You know you're crying, right?" Hyunseung felt his cheeks and they were damp. Jaekyung stood up and waved him over. Obediently, he sauntered over and she handed him a handkerchief. "You'll feel better soon." she smiled and patted his shoulder lightly.

"I don't know how this happened." he sniffled. "I wasn't even upset."

"Well, whatever it is, you must have been upset for your eyes to know to cry when you didn't want them to." she sighed and inched further into her home. "I've been out here too long. I have to go." she closed the door quickly.

"What are you doing out here?" a voice from behind startled him. Junhyung dropped his backpack on the group and grabbed Hyunseung's arm. "What happened? What's wrong?" Too exhausted to fight back, he stood there limply, clutching Jaekyung's handkerchief with both his hands. Before he knew it, he was enveloped in Junhyung's embrace.

"You don't have to do this."

"I know."