03

Lost and Found

Dongwoon yawned and glanced at his phone. Two minutes before his alarm was set to go off. He rubbed his eyes and sat up. This was usually the morning routine. He'd wake up early and end up trying to drag Hyunseung out of bed so they could both eat breakfast and get to campus on time. He shuffled out of his room and opened Hyunseung's door. He blinked.

"Morning." Hyunseung was sitting at his desk and he was fully dressed. Dongwoon looked around the room, his mouth hanging open. The room was actually neat and tidy. The bed was made, the desk was organized, and even his clothes were folded nicely.

"Please tell me you slept." he stared at the silent boy who had a wide grin on his face. Hyunseung shook his head and messed with his hair.

"Do you think my hair looks alright?" he asked his sleepy friend but he was no longer standing in the doorway. He was curled up on the bed. Smirking, Hyunseung mischievously pulled the pillow out from under Dongwoon's head. "Your alarm is going off!" Growling, Dongwoon sat up and grabbed the pillow back and headed off to his room.

When Hyunseung saw Dongwoon again, he came out of the bathroom, his hair still slightly damp. His clothes were also a little damp. The older boy was already waiting by the door, a piece of toasted bread in his hand. He handed the bread off to Dongwoon and fiddled with his belt. In the last couple of days, he had lost weight and was on the last hole on his belt.

"You need his more than me." Dongwoon returned the bread with a bite taken out of it. He ran his hands through his hair and suddenly it went from disheveled to perfection. It was something Hyunseung had always envied about his friend. He didn't have to try too hard to look presentable. Hyunseung nibbled on the bread as Dongwoon grabbed his school bag and opened the front door. Scurrying past was a black blur that looked a little like Jaekyung. Dongwoon poked his head out and watched as she disappeared down the stairs. Shrugging it off, the two left their apartment and headed to school.

"Who do you think will be at our table first?" Hyunseung tried his hand at idle chit chat. Dongwoon shrugged.

"You know Yoseob and Kikwang are usually there first. They take very early morning classes. I don't know how they do it." he chuckled a little and pointed at the bread. "Now shove that in your mouth before it gets cold." Hyunseung did as he was told and just as he had managed to get the bread in his cheek, Junhyung appeared next to him. Junhyung just nodded to him and waved to Dongwoon. Hyunseung tuned away as he tried to choke down his bread. Being too embarassed to even say good morning to the new comer, Hyunseung kept quiet for the rest of the walk to school.

As the trio approached the table, Doojoon, Yoseob, and Kikwang were already there waiting. Kikwang was snacking, Doojoon was reading his Business textbook, and Yoseob was playing a game on his PSP. Dongwoon plopped beside Yoseob and nudged him.

"Shouldn't you be studying? I thought you had a quiz in Math?" Yoseob frowned and handed the PSP to Dongwoon. Junhyung took a seat next to Kikwang and leaned back in his chair. This left the chair between Dongwoon and Junhyung open for Hyunseung.

"I want that back by lunch." he grumbled and pulled out his notebook. "Seungie, have you looked over the materials?" he slid his notebook over to Hyunseung. The notes were a little messy, but everything was there.

"It's a lot better than what I have." Hyunseung chuckled and pulled his notebook out and handed it over. There was barely anything in it. He usually slept through class which wasn't a huge shock to Yoseob. The boy thumbed through it and stood up. Dongwoon immediately switched seats with him without even looking up from the game. 

"We can look at mine together then." he scooted in close, reading over the notes carefully. Hyunseung stiffened at first but then leaned in to examine the notes as well.

"Thanks a lot. I don't know what I would do without you." Hyunseung said it so Yoseob alone could hear it. The shorter boy smiled and nudged Hyunseung's head gently.

Soon after, everyone began leaving for their classes. Hyunseung was the last to leave the table. Yoseob left his notebook with him and he brought it with him to his first class. He tried to be upbeat and even talked to the girl next to him who eagerly volunteered to help him study for his Math test. His second class came and he tried extra hard to participate in the discussion even though he was absolutely clueless about what was going on. People thought he was funny. It was much better than being asleep even though his eyelids felt heavy and his head was spinning. During his break time, he sat with Doojoon and Yoseob soon followed. Dongwooon and Junhyung were in their own world trying to get some of their homework out of the way. It irked Hyunseung but he bit his tongue and tried to be upbeat. Being upbeat was actually very tiring. He was finding this out rather quickly.

When the time came, everyone got up and headed to classes. Yoseob, Hyunseung, and Doojoon all headed down one hallway and the Dongwoon and Junhyung down another. Hyunseung tried his best to keep up with and contribute to Yoseob and  Doojoon's conversation. The enldest boy eventually made his way to his class. When the last two got to their classroom, Yoseob grabbed Hyunseung's wrist and squeezed it gently.

"Good luck!" he smiled his brilliant smile and pushed through the door. Hyunseung reached his seat and opened his backpack. A stray piece of paper was sticking out. He pulled it out and read:

I don't know if I should envy Yoseob or hate him. It seems like everything comes so easy to him. I want to be able to talk to people like he does. Would I be accepted better if I were like him?

It was his own journal page. As usual, at the very bottom in red ink there was a "Maybe" scrawled. Hyunseung frowned and crumpled the paper up and stuffed it back into the pack as he fished out a pencil for the Math quiz. His mind was not focused on his test at all. He was just curious about what this person's point was. Anyway, Hyunseung genuinely liked Yoseob. It wasn't that he had a problem with him. He just got jealous sometimes.

As soon as his quiz was finished, he picked up his things and left the classroom. As he turned the corner, Yoseob ran to catch up with him.

"You finished so quickly!" he huffed. "Shall we wait for the others?" Playfully, he tiptoed and ruffled Hyunseung's hair. Hyunseung carefully smoothed it back into place before elbowing the other.

"Aish, you know I don't like it when people touch my hair!" he whined even though he was smiling. Yoseob just chuckled as he shook his head and headed in the direction of the lounge. As they reached their table, Kikwang was already there, food spread out. Eager to join him, Hyunseung took big strides to try and get to the table before his friend but was intercepted. Someone grabbed hold of his arm and pulled him into another hallway.

"Please, give this to Junhyung!" it was Jaekyung. She was shoving a package at him. She didn't look well at all. She was out of breath and her bangs were sticking to her damp forehead.

"Jaekyung...?" Hyunseung froze. He had no idea what to do.

"Please! I have to go!" she sprinted away. Bewildered, Hyunseung made his way to the table. The crowd in the lounge was growing. When he finally made it back, Junhyung and Dongwoon were already at the table as well. Deliberately sitting across the table from Junhyung, he slid the package over and tried to act like he wasn't shocked. He opted for a forced smile.

"I just met Jaekyung. She told me to give this to you." Junhyung grabbed the box as sprinted away from the table without a word. Dongwoon looked concerned and leaned forward.

"What was that? Who?" he asked quietly. Hyunseung just shrugged and watched Junhyung's back disappear into the crowd.

"She just wanted me to give that box to him. And I did. She looked kinda weird though..." Hyunseung drifted off. The lounge was made up of huge windows and as he looked out of one of the huge windows, he saw Jaekyung clinging to Junhyung's waist. He ripped her off and picked her up, rushing away.

"What are you looking at?" Yoseob waved a hand in front of Hyunseung's blank face. He blinked and shrugged again.

"Nothing. How was your quiz?" he smirked. He as assuming it was going to be better than he had done. Yoseob shook his head sadly.

"It wasn't my best quiz." he chuckled and Doojoon was suddenly behind him.

"What do you mean not your best?" Doojoon growled and dragged Yoseob away by his shirt collar. Doojoon was probably going to make him study during the break. It happened pretty often. Dongwoon stretched his long arms out and cupped Hyunseung's face with his hands. They were surprisingly soft.

"Are you feeling tired? Do you need coffee?" There was a worried look in his eyes. Hyunseung shrugged.

"My next class is with Kikwang. He will keep me awake." It was true. Kikwang was always talkative so he would definitely be keeping him from taking a nap. He chuckled to himself and stood up, trying to get a better look around. "Where is Kikwang anyway?" Dongwoon tilted his head. He looked genuinely perplexed.

"He's usually here before us. I wonder what's holding him up?" The rest of the break passed relatively quickly. Hyunseung felt a little relief because he finally had some time alone with his best friend. When it was time to go to class again Hyunseung felt a knot in his stomach. As he was shuffling to class, he felt his knees buckling and he was about to trip, but someone caught him by the arm.

"Thanks. I'm usually not this clumsy..." he apologized to the person before getting a good look at them. It was Kikwang. He looked worried.

"Are you feeling ok? Do you want to go home? I can take notes for us." he offered. He was always a happy go lucky guy but when he was being serious, he was very stubborn. Hyunseung shook his head.

"I'm going to be fine. Let's go to class." he mustered a smile despite feeling utterly worn out. He was determined to last the day. It was practically the same things that happened yesterday. The girls who sat in front of Hyunseung and Kikwang gossiped and the talked to Kikwang. Hyunseung into their conversation and they happily accepted him. He continued his joke on Kikwang, leaning in close to him and resting his head on his shoulder, which actually felt really nice. It made the girls squeal. They thought Hyunseung and Kikwang made a cute couple.

"Seung!" Kikwang growled at him as soon as they were getting ready for their lab portion of the class. "I thought I told you to cut that out?"

"Don't you think it's funny?" Hyunseung smirked. He was always mischevious when he was with Kikwang. Something about the younger boy's ability to take things so seriously made him an easy target for these jokes. During labs, Hyunseung nearly spilled acid on Kikwang's notebook. Everyone in the class thought he was hilarious. As Hyunseung left the class, Kikwang put his hand on his forehead.

"Just be careful. You look like you're getting sick." he warned as he watched Hyunseung stagger away to English class. It was the last class of the day. He just had to get through one more class and he could go home and sleep. As he made his way to his seat, Hyunseung looked for Junhyung. He wasn't around. Hyunseung took his seat and remembered there was a discussion today. This meant participation. His stomach began to twist into knots. This was his least favorite class and they were doing his least favorite activity. As the class started forming groups of three to four people, the door opened and Junhyung walked in calmly. He talked with the teacher and then exited the classroom. Before Hyunseung knew what he was doing, he was out the door and running to catch up with Junhyung.

"Yah, where are you going?" he called out. His voice was much louder than he was anticipating. It echoed in the empty hallway. Junhyung stopped in his tracks and turned around. He had sweat on his brow and he looked really ticked off.

"Home." his voice didn't match his facial expression. He sounded very worried. There was a strain in his voice. "I have to get back." he started walking again but Hyunseung grabbed his arm and spun him around.

"I don't want you to go." he blurted out. Junhyung's face remained unchanged and annoyed looking. "Why can't you stay? It's class time." 

"I have things to take care of. I'll see you later." he tried to pull his arm out of Hyunseung's grasp, but he held on. "I really need to go home now. Go back to class." Hyunseung shook his head and followed behind Junhyung as he tried to leave. "Your stuff is still in the classroom. Just go back." the door was open and people were sticking their heads out the door.

"I'll be back." Hyunseung rushed back into class and hurriedly packed his stuff and left. He was half expecting Junhyung to be gone, but he was right in the middle of the hall where he had been before. The corners of Junhyung's mouth perked up a little. He was clearly enjoying the spectacle.

"Why are you leaving?" The other started walking away. It took Hyunseung a moment to process this before the started walking too. Junhyung's strides were long and quick.

"I haven't slept yet. I thought I would go home early, too." he confessed. He just wanted to go home and pass out on his his bed. The other boy scoffed and peeked back at Hyunseung.

"You haven't slept. No wonder you're acting so weird." he shrugged. Hyunseung walked behind Junhyung, stepping on his shadow. He aimed for his head most of the time because he thought it was the most amusing. If he couldn't step on Junhyung's real head... then why not?

"Well why are you going home?" he asked.

"I've got something to take care of." The pair walked a a good ten minutes in silence, Hyunseung enjoying stoping on Junhyung's shadow whenever he could. It took him quite some time to realize he was following Junhyung home like a duckling. He looked around, but everything was familiar. They had arrived at the apartment complex.

"You live around here too? Why are you at my apartment?" he fished in his pockets for his keys. Junhyung crossed his arms over his chest and leaned on the door frame.

"I'm just making sure you got home alright. You didn't look very well." he watched as the dark haired boy unlocked his apartment. "Make sure you text Dongwoon too. He'll be worried if you're not there after school." Hyunseung just eyed Junhyung and shrugged before going inside, plopping down on the couch, and finally closing his eyes.

---

Dongwoon's phone made a buzzing noise in the middle of class. He felt his pocket. As soon as the professor turned his back, he whipped out his phone.

"Hyunseung went home early. I'm assuming he went straight to sleep and didn't tell you."

Dongwoon smirked. That was so like Hyunseung.

"Thanks for letting me know. I'll go straight home."

"You don't have to. I know you have club stuff to do. I can watch him."

"Is Jaekyung ok? You should be with her."

"Don't worry about her. She is ok now."

"Alright if you insist. If you need any help, just call me and I'll run home right away."

---

When Hyunseung woke up, he was in his bed. He was tucked in and Junhyung was sleeping next to him, though he was outside the covers. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. He was still there. Reluctantly, Hyunseung gave Junhyung a nudge. The boy was a heavy sleeper. Looking around, he spied the clock. It was 4AM. He shifted his weight to scoot away from the sleepinf one, but he was caught by his arm.

"No, don't go... I don't want to get lost..." Junhyung muttered in his sleep. Hyunseung stiffened. He felt as though he had been touched by a live wire, but he was scared to move. He didn't want Junhyung to wake up. His heartbeat was thumping away in his ears.

"I'm not going to leave..." he soothed and ran his fingersr through Junhyung's hair. "Everything will be fine." he half told himself. "This feeling will go away..."

Little did he know that Dongwoon was watching from the doorway.