mess (interlude)

Dreamwalker

It was maybe because she dropped into the lake when she wandered into the dream. For Juri it was like sleepwalking, so if there were no hindrances in her way, she just walked away without noticing much of her surroundings. Kai usually had time enough to make sure that she wouldn't get startled, but this time her appearance was so sudden, he couldn't make the lake disappear. Around them was nothing but water and they sat in a boat, so when Juri popped up a few metres away from them, she fell.

She couldn't drown of course, but just the fact that she lost her footing and found herself surrounded by water made her so angry, the water began to boil, even more so because Kai didn't immediately help her.

He was stuck.

He wanted to drain the lake, but couldn't.

He tried to pull her up, and couldn't.

And he couldn't swim.

It wasn't supposed to matter, but he suddenly felt afraid. He unwillingly remembered that one time one if his cousins had shoved him into a swimming pool that was much deeper than he was tall. He had lost his consciousness back then. The last thing he saw was the blueish water around him.

A younger version of him fell into the lake. In the boat sat his cousin who grinned at him.

"I don't suppose that's your idea of helping your sister?" Chanyeol frowned when the tiny cousin with the yellow bathing cap tried to kick his shin. He was only half Chanyeol's size but to Kai he still looked threatening. In reality he had always been taller than him.

The grown-up version of his cousin popped up and the boat shook violently.

Chanyeol snorted, and jumped into the lake. Kai knew that he couldn't swim either, he was more of a useless city kid after all, but he at least seemed to understand where he really was. Nothing was impossible inside a dream, not if one's will was strong enough. Kai knew that. He knew, and yet...

The two copies of his cousin laughed and pointed at him.

"Go away," Kai muttered, but they wouldn't budge.

A massive manhole cover appeared on the surface of the lake and was thrown up. Out of it came Chanyeol and Juri who climbed a flight of stairs.

"What are you, a stalker?" Juri asked angrily and pulled the shirt she wore down as far as possible. She always wore big old T-shirts at night, never really minding how much thigh her family members saw. It had never mattered that she couldn't control her appearance in dreams, at least not until she kept running into Chanyeol, whom she believed to be a real person. "Why is your face always the first thing I see in my brother's dream? Do you hijack his mind the moment he falls asleep? Are you camping outside the house?"
She shook herself in digust and gave Kai a look of reproach when she walked over the lake to get to the boat.

When she noticed her cousin, she blinked. "Why are there two Yangkis?"

Behind her Chanyeol dragged up the drowned version of Kai as a child.

"Just what is going on here?" Juri asked in confusion.

It was Chanyeol who made the lake disappear.

Kai slowly lost his abilities.