3/4

Save Me, Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When they arrived at the park, they found themselves in front of a woman and a young toddler. The woman was beautiful and sweet when she smiled at her son. Hyukjae’s lips curled up fondly at the sight of them both.

“Are they your…” Donghae started, but he was cut off quickly.

“They’re my daughter and grandson,” Hyukjae replied with a smile.

Turning back to the pair, Donghae realised he could indeed see the resemblance. The woman had the exact set of eyes of the Soulcatcher, and also his smile. “Your daughter is beautiful,” he complimented.

“Thanks,” Hyukjae grinned, apparently very proud of her, “She’s a high school teacher, you know?”

Donghae smiled back. Hyukjae was lucky he experienced what it was like to have a child before he died. He would have most definitely liked to have a family too. “How’s your wife?” he asked, thinking that if Hyukjae had a daughter then he most definitely have had a wife.

The atmosphere turned gloomy all the sudden and Hyukjae went to sit down on one of the benches, a distance away from the pair of mother and son. Worried, Donghae quickly trotted over.

“We were divorced a few months before I died. She cheated on me with a richer man because she didn't want a plain life, and married him as soon as she could after leaving me,” Hyukjae said quietly, keeping his eyes trained on the pair playing at the swing. “I went to see her once. Her husband ended up betraying her you know? He has not one but two mistresses, and she didn't even know it,” he added with a small smile.

Donghae did not know what to say. Hyukjae's life story was really complicated. He was a little ashamed about his own outbreak.

“Serves her right,” Hyukjae continued, “That's what I should say anyways, but I can't because my position now does not allow me.”

“Does your daughter know?” Donghae asked.

Hyukjae nodded. “My sister, who raised her, told her when she was old enough. She hated her mother and refused to see her even to this day,” he told the other.

“Well, that's fair. She was the one who chose to leave so selfishly,” Donghae commented.

“Perhaps,” Hyukjae replied with a faint smile.

“How long have you been... you know...” Donghae tried to ask, but could not bring himself to say it.

“Dead? Twenty five years,” Hyukjae answered good-naturedly. He was used to being asked that by other souls anyways.

“That long?” Donghae exclaimed. So souls did not age after they died?

Hyukjae laughed. “I would probably be your father's age had I not died,” he told the other.

“So we won’t age anymore when we die?” Donghae asked for confirmation.

Hyukjae smiled, glad that Donghae was showing so curiosity and interest about the afterlife. “We don’t, of course.”

“So we remain the age we are when we died forever?” Donghae asked again. That would really for the sick and old.

“It doesn’t work that way, actually. Upon reaching the Gates of Heaven, when you register yourself, you get to choose any age younger than yours or to remain your own age. Children grow normally until they are old enough to decide for themselves if they wanted to be a child forever or to remain adults,” Hyukjae explained.

“That’s really fair,” Donghae nodded.

“The System is fair to all,” Hyukjae agreed.

“But doesn’t that mean there’s going to be tonnes of young people wandering about?”

 “Something like that, but you get to see a lot of them choosing to remain at an older age sometimes,” Hyukjae replied, knowing that he was slowly hooking Donghae’s interest.

“Oh,” Donghae nodded.

“What about you? Would you choose to remain your age or you want to go back to a younger you?” Hyukjae asked.

“I probably would remain my age. I mean, a few years back I had braces on and a weird haircut, I wouldn’t want to look like that,” Donghae replied thoughtfully.

“You should, you’re really looking good now,” Hyukjae replied before he could stop himself.

“Are you saying I’m handsome? Thanks,” Donghae chuckled.

“You probably know that already,” Hyukjae added, scratching his nape.

“Can’t say I don’t,” Donghae smiled, a little haughtily.

“But you said you had braces? Your teeth is still a little crooked,” Hyukjae stated.

“Yah, they moved back a little since I did them okay?” the other frowned disapprovingly.

“Don’t worry, you’re still cute,” Hyukjae added with a small smile. If he was being completely honest, Donghae was rather cute.

“Obviously,” Donghae replied as he flipped his hair.

Hyukjae scoffed, even though he was secretly glad that Donghae was smiling. He hoped that he would let things go and rest in peace. He didn’t want the soul to perish.

“Are you still thinking?” he asked the handsome man.

“About what?” the other replied.

“Her?” Hyukjae replied carefully.

Donghae let out a deep sigh. “I’m more mad than heartbroken really,” he said, “I don’t like the feeling of being betrayed.”

“Well, put it all in the past, you have a whole eternity in front of you. Why would you let it go for someone as petty as that?” Hyukjae uttered.

Donghae followed Hyukjae’s gaze and found him looking at the clouded skies. He was pointing at the direction of Heaven.

“Somewhere beyond the clouds is where your future lays, where you can try again, where you can find real love again,” Hyukjae said.

“And if I end up disappointed?” Donghae asked solemnly.

“You won’t, I promise,” Hyukjae smiled.

Donghae scoffed. “You’re only saying that because you want me to go back to heaven,” he replied.

“Hey, we never know what’s going to happen, it’s not wrong to be optimistic,” Hyukjae argued.

“If it’s so easy to find true love, then tell me, have you found your true love yet?” Donghae asked back.

“Um…” Hyukjae replied, stumped.

Donghae shrugged and got up from his seat.

“Wait, I know I haven’t found true love, but I’m…” Hyukjae went after him.

“Optimistic, I know,” Donghae laughed.

“Yes, so you shouldn’t give up on yourself just yet,” Hyukjae agreed, “But just where are you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter