1/4

Save Me, Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Donghae cracked open his eyes slowly, getting used to the bright light in the room, the first thing his mind registered when he looked at the disgustingly white room was, he was probably in the hospital. He struggled to remember what happened.

Yes, he recalled now. He was driving and on the phone with his girlfriend of four years when a blinding white light shone in front of him. Before he knew it, there was a loud impactful bang, and there was nothing but pain, pain and more pain. He probably lost consciousness after that.

As he was trying to move out of the hospital bed, a woman in a navy blue nurse uniform walked in with a tablet. “You’re finally awake,” she said, with a warm smile, and Donghae was puzzled by her sea blue eyes and glitter speckled face as she read from her tablet, “Please affirm with me. You are Lee Donghae, age 27, pastry chef, lived in Seoul, South Korea. Your time of death is 25th of April, 2014, 9:46 night.”

“Uh, yeah?” Donghae nodded when his personal details were read, only to frown at a certain detail. “Wait, did you say dead?” he asked to clarify.

“If you confirm that you are Lee Donghae, please wait while I process your details and your new ID. In the meantime, welcome to Cloud Station 46,” the woman said as she fiddled with a machine.

Donghae was lost. Dead? He couldn’t be dead. He still had a long life ahead of him. He couldn’t just die of one accident!

What about his parents? His work? His friends? And his girlfriend?

“Here is your new ID card, Lee Donghae. Your vehicle will come shortly to transport you to Heaven,” the woman smiled as she handed Donghae a metal card.

“I can’t, I’m not dead…I’m not dead!” he shrieked, slapping the card off her hands and jumping off the bed. Before the woman could catch him, he was out of the room and running.

“Not again, this is the third one this week,” the woman sighed, but she calmly the communicating device. “Soul 1100546 has escaped. I repeat, Soul 1100546 has escaped. Please send reinforcement immediately,” she spoke.

“Affirmed,” the voice on the other side replied and the line went dead.

**

A man wearing a cute fluffy Rilakkuma hoodie and blue jeans appeared at Recovery Centre 34 with a small child in tow, smiling and giggling happily. The lady at the counter smiled at the warm sight as he placed the child on the already awaiting Sky Train.

“That was really fun, thank you ajusshi,” the little girl said.

“Aish, I told you to call me oppa,” the man scolded lightly, “But you promise me okay? That you’ll behave nicely and do what the angel oppas and unnies tell you when you get to Heaven okay?”

“Okay, ajusshi!” the little girl grinned, and off she went.

“What’s the problem with this runaway soul from the start? She seemed like a sweet kid,” the woman, who was clad in a pink gown, with green eyes and glitter speckled face asked.

“She didn’t want to die without visiting Disneyland, so I brought her there before coming back here,” the man replied.

“And that getup is for?” she mentioned, pointing at his childish choice of outfit.

“To make the kid love me. It works, don’t judge me,” he scowled.

Just then, the monitor in front of the woman beeped and she went back on it, “You have a new job, Hyukjae. A soul had just escaped from Cloud Station 46, his ID is 1100546.”

“Wait, you mean I can’t at least change out of this hoodie?” the man demanded.

“Well, you should hope he’s a big child then,” the woman replied.

“Being a Soulcatcher ,” the man called Hyukjae sulked as he walked out of Recovery Centre 34.

**

Once he had managed to push out of the way of the strange looking nurse, Donghae had been running. To his left and to his right, he saw nurses wearing the exact same gear walking down the hall. He saw other souls, young, old, even children, being led by them to a certain destination. Probably to Heaven.

And he went the opposite way. He didn’t know were he was going, he just knew he needed to get out of this building first. Once he saw light right in front of him, he quickened his pace and ran towards it. The blinding light caused him to shut his eyes and when he reopened them, he found the Centre nowhere to be found and he was now on a familiar street. He was close to his home.

With a light sprint, he made his way to his apartment building, instinctively avoiding all the people walking around, even though he knew that they could neither see him nor touch him. And sure enough, a young teenager on the rush ran right through his body.

Donghae felt uncomfortable as he found it hard to believe, it was like the solid proof to him that he was re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter