Episode: 13

Add Insult To Injury

"Reveal the truth partially, that way you're in the middle of the boundary lines of lying and telling the truth."


    

       Sweat drips down my neck as I release my grip off of my bed sheets. Same dream for five days in a row, and it's starting to scare me. The same dream consists of me trapped in a tank with water all the way up to my eyes.

       And even worse, the name Kim Jongin keeps redundantly echoing in my mind like a spoiled brat begging for all sorts of things. Another sigh escapes me, not knowing anything puts me in danger of my own mind.

        Being in an empty house scares me even more. The numbers: 4:15 glow on the clock placed on top of my dresser, and as soon as a minute passes my phone vibrates.

 

"Hello?" I grumble, "Why are you awake? You're supposed to be sleeping." A concern voice fills my ears. And it sounds like Kyungsoo once again.

"It's the same nightmare," My voice quakes as the exploiting flashbacks dig deeper into my disoriented memory.

"I-I know that I'm old enough to sleep under my own roof, but can I ask you just this once to come over? I-I kind of need some company."

 

        I admit that I'm scared to Kyungsoo. It seems like Kyungsoo is smiling behind his phone, his tone of voice changes into a glad-you-asked kind of tone.

He says "I'll be right there," before hanging up.

 

    Transforming into a ball, I take in as much oxygen as I can. A few minutes pass by and a faint knock is heard. Barefooted, I manage to find the doorknob in the darkness. Opening the locks on my door, Kyungsoo peers in with his usual owl eyes.

 

"Why is it so dark in here? What is this? A military prison camp?" Kyungsoo teases.

"Shut up and just come in." I roll my eyes.

 

Switching on some lights, I watch as Kyungsoo takes off his shoes, strips off his jacket, and jumps into the living room couch.

 

"Nice rubber ducky pajamas." I snort,

 

"Just shut up and go to your bed. I'm here now, so you can go sleep comfortably.

"You do know I didn't invite you to sleep in my house right?",

 

"Then what did you invite me for?" responds Kyungsoo wiggling his eyebrows.

 

I cross my arms, "You have to do a lot of talking." I sneer. Kyungsoo appear nervous his eyes going all over the place.

 

"Can you make me a smoothie?" I blurt, lately I've been craving what I see on the Internet.

"Do you have any fruits?", "Find some; you're the one making it." I yawn as I take a seat beside Kyungsoo's feet.

 

      A groan escapes Kyungsoo, "Fine. I would be sleeping right now, but since there's no school. Fine." he agrees and heads into the kitchen. The sound of a noisy blender somehow relieves me. Just like how music can tone down one's stress levels.

 

"You still haven't eaten my papaya and honeydew. I gave it to you 5 days ago. So, I made it into a smoothie." Kyungsoo whines shoving a glass bottle full of honeydew-papaya smoothie in front of my face.

"I-I don't feel like touching knives." I say while taking a sip.

 

"Wow, this is good." I add in astonishment,

 

"Because the great chef. Do Kyungsoo has made it." Kyungsoo boasts and takes the seat to my right.

"Did you really save me?" I begin to question Kyungsoo once again. And I know very well that my curiosity is going to kill another cat.

 

"Of course, I did." Kyungsoo sips his smoothie at a faster rate.

"Who's Kim Jongin?" I keep blurting out the questions I don't plan to ask just yet. Immediately, Kyungsoo's attention is to me.

 

"What?" I say, "I'm not going to hurt you by telling you who Kim Jongin is. I don't want both of us to end up in the emergency room at the hospital because you've had another overdose again. I just don't."

 

      The lump in my throat forbids me to speak, and I don't. Was I really the type of person who would overdose on some sort of prescription? Was I that suicidal before I lost my memory? At that moment, my mind makes me feel like a stupid person. Kyungsoo snatches my glass cup away from me.

 

"I'm not done yet!" I exclaim,

"Oh yes you are." Kyungsoo points at the empty glass cup.

 

I guess I was too busy thinking how stupid I was in the past that I don't even realize that my smoothie is all gone.

"You're dazing off again. And I kind of wished I didn't say anything at all. This is what words do to you-",

 

"Where are you going?" I notice Kyungsoo slipping his jacket on.

 

     "I'm going to go home, the sun is up anyway. So just call me if you need me" Kyungsoo waves goodbye almost sprinting out the door. It's like one kilogram weights were pulling my eyelids down and my breath becomes more relaxed. Everything blackens, and I pass out even before I know it.

...

       Something my hair gently, giving my head a small massage. As my eyes pop open, Kai stares down at me with a very look. His lips pursing at me,

 

"Don't make that face." I wrinkle my eyebrows.

"Well, look who's changed." Kai says astonished for a second. I realize that my head is comfortably resting on Kai's lap.

 

"Since when did you come to my house?",

"You told me you're passcode for your door long ago." Kai recalls beaming a grin at me.

 

"What time is it?" I bluntly rub my eyes like a toddler.

"It's 4:55. Have you been staying up all night?",

 

"I-I sort of had the same nightmare for five days straight." I recklessly blurt. Sitting up, Kai gives his shoulder a pat insisting that I lean my head on it and I do.

 

"We're going to my house." Kai stands up and snatches my wrist pulling me toward the door.

 

"Only one condition, you have to answer all the questions I ask." I make a deal.

 

There's nothing worse than a question that's been left alone, at least to me. Kai keeps dragging me like a child who drags his backpack across the cement. "I'm still in pajamas! Let me change!" I sulk breaking free of his snatch.

 

"It's almost night-time! You don't need to change." Kai briefly says before clutching my wrist once again.

"We're having a sleepover!" Kai chortles like a girl. The evening breeze smites my cheeks as a leather jacket slumps over my shoulders.

 

"Wear this; we're going for a ride." Kai ruffles his hair with his other hand, surely not thinking twice about letting me go.

 

As we exit the front gate, a black lustrous motorcycle is parked.

 

"Here, put this on." Kai tosses glossy helmet, and I'm quick enough to catch it with my own hands.

 

His finger beckons me to jump on. Willingly jumping onto the motorcycle, my hands naturally wrap around his waist without telling it to do so. The motor starts roaring loudly;

 

"If you don't hold on tightly, I'm not responsible for you flying off and smashing your face onto the cement." Kai warns.

 

And off we go. The cold evening air makes my locks swirl in the opposite direction. The faster Kai goes, the more tightly I grip. Within a few minutes we arrive at our destination. With a clap, every light in Kai's three-story mansion lights up.

 

"Woah," I gasp too busy admiring the beauty of his house and how ugly my own house is.

 

"Do you remember anything?" Kai places his palm on my shoulder giving it a little squeeze.

 

Nothing comes to me, not even a single thought. I shake my head. Kai gives me a worrisome look; it’s almost identical to Kyungsoo's.

 

"I want extra cheese, and absolutely no vegetables or pineapples." A phone gets placed on my hand accompanied with A Pizza Hut telephone number messily written on a scarp piece of paper.

 

"Is that a nine?",

"Just call it, I'm hungry."

"Hello, can I have a pizza with pineapples all over it, mushrooms, and extra cheese please."

 

I try to sustain myself so that I don't burst out laughing in front of the operator. Kai's face turns sour as if he had just eaten a lemon.

 

"Alright, thank you."

 

         Kai is playing child, and I playing young adult. Heading into the living room, a migraine pounds into my head like a lightning bolt; unexpectedly and quickly. And that horrid name -Jongin starts to whisper into my ears. My own voice is whispering into my ears. I take a seat, massaging my head. Kai takes a seat beside me, still being sulky, still pouting. Our eyes meet, and they both flicker.

 

"Jongin-" I say,

 

"Don't call me that name." Kai sterns up breaking the eye contact.

"Why do you hate being called Jong In?",

 

"Because I'm not Jong In. It makes sense." The doorbell breaks the silence between us.

"Pizza's here!" Kai rubs the back of his neck disregarding what I had just said.

 

          A sneer is directed to me as he places the pizza on the table in front of the couch. He doesn't open it; in fact he's waiting for me to open it. Accordingly, I do open it and grab two slices at a time.

 

"Don't mind if I do" I say, and Kai sits on the ground with his arms crossed. When I finally finished my second pizza Kai finally starts to eat.

"Took you long enough," I say still stuffing my face with pizza.

 

       But I guess Kai is still going to continue his little 'mad little kid' act, I watch him fling the mushroom and pineapples out leaving them on the other side of the box. A laugh escapes me. A few minutes later, Kai grabs the last piece that I was hoping to eat.

 

"Ha-Ha" He mocks the piece of pizza in front of my face as if it was a trophy or something. After cleaning up, somehow my head ends up on Kai's chest lying on it like a pillow. His arm is wrapped around my waist; while I'm holding a bowl full of Doritos on my stomach.

 

"Why can't you just tell me?" I begin to ask questions again.

"Fine," Kai finally approves.

"Tell me who Jongin is, and what relation I have to him." I demand getting more eager by the minute. At least Kai doesn't keep things away from me; at least he realizes that keeping things away from me with only hurt me more in the future.

 

"He died."

 

      A brick drops in my stomach, and my ears start to ring that I don't bother to say a word. Great, if he says that I'm the person that killed him; I might as well turn myself in and wither up in jail.

 

"And its not just because of you" Relief fills my body as it relaxes for a moment, but then I realize that I'm still included in his death.

 

"Jongin was so lonely that he thought that the only way to get away from life is to die." Kai's tone is flat, not a single emotion has been expressed underneath his words, not even pity.

 

"He wanted to come back like a ghost and haunt does people who put him shackles using those horrid words that always left him feeling useless, and invisible." Kai adds. His stare at the distance never breaks.

 

"What does this have to do with me?" I blurt, and now his stare in right up into my eyes.

"Because, it’s you he wants to haunt. But he can't really do that because besides anger he was feeling something stronger."

 

It's you he wants to haunt. Those words stick to me, and it's not going to stop shooting arrows at my head.

 

"Stop," I beg, as my hands make its way to my ears, I look like I'm at the verge of a mental breakdown.

"Are you okay?" His voice soothes my trembles. I breathe in and out for a few minutes.

 

"Yeah, I'm okay." A small smile makes its way to my cheeks.

 

"Perhaps are you related to him?" I never run out of questions to ask.

"Yeah, something like that."

 

It wasn't long before my eyelids grew heavy once again, and I fall asleep to my own breathing with our arms wrapped around each other.

... 

    I wake up on my own living room couch wondering how I ended up here, when I was clearly at Kai's house. I notice the enormous box to the right of my couch. Its shiny wrapping paper reflects against the sun's light.


"Happy Birthday!",
"From: Joonmyun Oppa"
I find a small card underneath all the styrofoam.

"! w!(( h@un& *353u345*"

 


 *author's note:

I'm finally done finals! Phew! Thank goodness. 

I apologize if this chapter is a bit rushed. 

Oh, 103 subbies<3 Thank you <3_<3

Have you guys seen the trailer?